Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Creativity...is this an understated ability?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Creativity...is this an understated ability?   Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:49 pm

So we heard about Seve and his ability to turn a bad lie into a good score.

How much is that due to creativity which one should have? At range, we practise std shot..with the std trajectory etc etc

Recently I had a game in MBGC...2nd shot go behind a big tree and worst, it was sitting infront of the tree root......I was shitting bricks coz its a match play...i took my hybrid and did a short punch....ball roll on green.....damm happy till I miss my 4 ft putt...

I kind of feel that playing with the good golfers , talking to them and also watching golf TV ....will help in this creativity aspect.

Back to top Go down
ringrain_78
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Creativity...is this an understated ability?   Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:59 pm

I read from this quote from a book "Where the mind wants, the ball will go".

Was playing at OCC, my ball pushed out to the extreme right, landed just beside the flower bed on the wrong side of buggy track. Green is downhill about 70m away. No way, I can pitch the ball nicely onto the green.

So I took out 5I, walked from buggy up to the flower bed, cursing myself. Then I addressed, watched the ball and looked up, saw the green, remembered the quote...and whack down hard...ball flew up, hit the tarma, bounced, and ran all the way to the green! I managed to save par...

Sometimes, the mind has a way to sub-consciously control/moderate the strength of the shots, I cannot explain how but this kind of scenario had happened to me many times.
Back to top Go down
thehacker
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Creativity...is this an understated ability?   Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:40 am

Depends on the golfer style. Some like the simple approach like me. I don't try to shape the ball as my natural shot is a straight slight pull. It is only when you get into very "bo bian" situations that you try some creative approach because anyway the odds are low that the outcome would be good, might as well take a gamble.

Otherwise if really given a choice, many would rather have a simple fairway and green approach to the game. And if a simple chip or putt will do, why try to be cute and do a Mickelson?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Creativity...is this an understated ability?   Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:11 am

Try this. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Creativity...is this an understated ability?   Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:17 am

Or this! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Creativity...is this an understated ability?   Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:32 pm

To answer the question of the thread. Yes it is very understated. Tiger or Phil are probably the two best at this right now. They manage to get their golf ball in the hole from some really messed up places. Now one might argue that if they hit it better they don't need to be creative. Well that is true. But I think that creativity is part of the fun of the game. Being able to hit a little bit different of a shot or do something that is a little out of the ordinary is fun.

I also think it really depends on the type of person the golfer is. There are times on the course where you either have to choose to be creative or just punch out or drop and take your medicine.

There is no question in my mind that Seve was the best at this. But we don't need to get to his level to be creative. What I would do when I was practicing is take a small portion of my practice balls or time and attempt to hit off the wall shots such as big hooks, slices, low shots..etc. I think when you get to be a certain level of golfer you should practice these shots as you will face them someday.

If you are more of a beginner I would recommend that you not get to creative and just do whatever you can to keep you score as low as possible for that hole. Plus it might be hard to hit a big hook or slice or adjust the height of the ball if you have trouble making solid contact.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Creativity...is this an understated ability?   Today at 2:02 am

Back to top Go down

Creativity...is this an understated ability?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1