Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Keppel Golf Club

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cmclee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 185
Join date : 2009-07-31
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Keppel Golf Club   Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi,
just wanted to get your opinion whether it is a good time to buy Keppel golf membership ? Heard their lease might be ending in about 10 years time and likely will relocate. Do you think the current price $30k is a bit steep ?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2514
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:16 pm

yes, the lease is due soon but there are no firm plans as yet what Keppel Club will do... there a lot of speculation going on out there ... but in the end, buying a golf club m'ship it boils down to whether you have kakis there to play with and its near your home so you go there often...
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1505
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 51
Location : AMK Detention Barrack

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:21 am

NSRCC !!!!! Good and cheap and now got tons of GR golfers...i will start a thread soon to gather them. Than you ALWAYS have kakis to play !!!!!

Beer
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2514
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:39 am

I guess Warren Country is a good buy too at around 38K and has many members here... NRSCC (only term membership) is good too but its very crowded , hard to book slots and they tend to rush and chase you unless you are playing with the venerable Uncle Lau.. Razz
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 271
Join date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:50 am

Pay a little bit more, & at 45K you can have Raffles Country Club. A report of SG Country Clubs (golfing) last year shows that RCC has got the best value-for-money membership (not counting term membership), as they have 2 x 18 holes, with beautiful natural sceneries. In fact, RCC is probably the club having the most natural courses, with almost no man-made tall buildings in sight. Almost all the other clubs in SG somehow will have tall buildings within sight. Just too bad RCC does not have any activities after 6 pm, turning into a ghost town immediately, unlike Seletar Country Club, which is damn happening at night.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 5118
Join date : 2009-06-18
Location : Home sweat home...

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:56 am

RCC may be good value but travelling to play golf there on a weekday can be a nightmare if you don't stay in the west.

In the morning, you compete with the peak hour traffic of Tuas workers to get there. If you have an afternoon game, you compete with the peak hour traffic of those same workers who are knocking off.

Also, there is a constant sound of flashbangs and live firing from the nearby SAFTI training area....just to nicely remind me of work. (Which is also the same reason why I did not get Semb CC membership too).

The 2 nice courses with beautiful scenery is tough to enjoy with all these at the back of my mind .
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2514
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:59 am

yes, RCC is also value for money as it has 2 x 18 holes... hope the problem they have with the greens have been solved though... depends also if you have any kakis there.. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2514
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:02 am

S70B wrote:
RCC may be good value but travelling to play golf there on a weekday can be a nightmare if you don't stay in the west.

In the morning, you compete with the peak hour traffic of Tuas workers to get there. If you have an afternoon game, you compete with the peak hour traffic of those same workers who are knocking off.

Also, there is a constant sound of flashbangs and live firing from the nearby SAFTI training area....just to nicely remind me of work. (Which is also the same reason why I did not get Semb CC membership too).

The 2 nice courses with beautiful scenery is tough to enjoy with all these at the back of my mind .


wow... the time difference... i'm going to bed and you are up and about.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 271
Join date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:07 am

Just treat those flashbangs & live firing rifles cracks as thunder lor... heh heh. But the distance to the club & some boom-boom's are some serious factors that prevent more people from buying their memberships. Anyway, there are no more new RCC memberships for sale, can only get from agents.
Back to top Go down
art
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 101
Join date : 2009-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:13 am

Lamts18 wrote:
yes, RCC is also value for money as it has 2 x 18 holes... hope the problem they have with the greens have been solved though... depends also if you have any kakis there.. Smile


yup there was the infection on the greens that cause alot of the palm course greens to have spots of brown.. just played there few days back and it was cleared up already. but i think they are trying to cultivate the growth of grass and for some greens it takes a toll on the green speed - SLOW. but cheers to rcc for fixing this. rather have a slow green than a bumpy one that doesn't reward a good green reading.
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1499
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:16 am

dude, u should see keppel's greens now.. they are in a similar condition to what RCC's greens were. i played there 2 or 3 days back, and the green speed was a shocking 6.2...
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 680
Join date : 2009-06-24
Location : The 'fine' city of Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:18 pm

One of my bros in law is member at RCC. Good value for money, but too far for me to go every week from Hougang.

He can afford SICC, TM or Sentosa CC but chose RCC for the two courses and social ambience--his boss is Mdm Ho Ching. ($$$)

Another bros-in-law joined SICC six months ago but lives in Shanghai. I am waiting for him to retire next year, so I can play at SICC with him regularly. He was thinking about OCC or RCC before he bought SICC.

I played the Palm Course (RCC) a month ago and the greens were okay.

6.2 stimp meter readings is like hitting a croquet ball with a wooden mallet!

CK
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1499
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:20 pm

clarencekim wrote:

6.2 stimp meter readings is like hitting a croquet ball with a wooden mallet!

CK

u got that right! i saw one of my partners putting a 20 footer, he hit the ball so hard it jumped on its first few feet, and still managed to stop reasonably close to the hole.

anyway, the green speed is only one of its problems. there are numerous bald patches on the green.. looks really bad
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 680
Join date : 2009-06-24
Location : The 'fine' city of Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:58 pm

I agree, three or four putting cos of misjudgement or mis-hit happens sometimes.

But doing (or worse) because of badly ball-marked or badly maintained greens sux.

CK
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 1830
Join date : 2009-12-23
Location : [strike]Tiong Bahru[/strike] Bedok

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:11 pm

Anyone here members of Keppel golf club? Want to see if can get help buy the range discount with the member discount. Thanks thanks.
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2411
Join date : 2009-11-29
Location : www.HuatLeow.com

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:50 pm

who8168 wrote:
Pay a little bit more, & at 45K you can have Raffles Country Club. A report of SG Country Clubs (golfing) last year shows that RCC has got the best value-for-money membership (not counting term membership), as they have 2 x 18 holes, with beautiful natural sceneries. In fact, RCC is probably the club having the most natural courses, with almost no man-made tall buildings in sight. Almost all the other clubs in SG somehow will have tall buildings within sight. Just too bad RCC does not have any activities after 6 pm, turning into a ghost town immediately, unlike Seletar Country Club, which is damn happening at night.

Buy raffles? Jurong will be a better choice. They will be building hotels and that area will be developed into a major hub according to the URA master plan.
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
alucard
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 254
Join date : 2009-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:56 pm

I think where u buy should b decided where u hv kakis to play with. or can b like my group of frens, who each has membership in different clubs so we hv more options.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2087
Join date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:55 pm

Folks, I felt compelled to dig up this old thread and give a review of this course. Feel free to critique.

I took part in SSG competition today. there're some fellas here with SSG too. anyway I walked away from the round feeling psychologically scarred... I never felt like I played so badly before. Lost so many balls. Bad swing creeps in as negative thoughts consumed me

On paper, many par 4 off white tee is less than 300m. But wait till u stare at the uphill fairway... I feel sorry for the senior citizen in my flight. One almost have to look away while the old uncle sweat and toil thru 18 holes. There is little room for error in this course. And yes, a one has to HIT a putt. Not stroke a putt here

I know there are Keppel members or regular keppel golfers in this forum. After today's experience, I only have one word for you guys- RESPECT! If you hone your game in Keppel, you are ready for anything!
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 402
Join date : 2010-03-01
Age : 36
Location : Near Boon Lay MRT

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:14 pm

seebayho wrote:
who8168 wrote:
Pay a little bit more, & at 45K you can have Raffles Country Club. A report of SG Country Clubs (golfing) last year shows that RCC has got the best value-for-money membership (not counting term membership), as they have 2 x 18 holes, with beautiful natural sceneries. In fact, RCC is probably the club having the most natural courses, with almost no man-made tall buildings in sight. Almost all the other clubs in SG somehow will have tall buildings within sight. Just too bad RCC does not have any activities after 6 pm, turning into a ghost town immediately, unlike Seletar Country Club, which is damn happening at night.

Buy raffles? Jurong will be a better choice. They will be building hotels and that area will be developed into a major hub according to the URA master plan.

If I am not wrong, JCC will only have 9 holes for the next 2 years... starting July or so...
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2411
Join date : 2009-11-29
Location : www.HuatLeow.com

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:27 pm

pocketace wrote:
Folks, I felt compelled to dig up this old thread and give a review of this course. Feel free to critique.

I took part in SSG competition today. there're some fellas here with SSG too. anyway I walked away from the round feeling psychologically scarred... I never felt like I played so badly before. Lost so many balls. Bad swing creeps in as negative thoughts consumed me

On paper, many par 4 off white tee is less than 300m. But wait till u stare at the uphill fairway... I feel sorry for the senior citizen in my flight. One almost have to look away while the old uncle sweat and toil thru 18 holes. There is little room for error in this course. And yes, a one has to HIT a putt. Not stroke a putt here

I know there are Keppel members or regular keppel golfers in this forum. After today's experience, I only have one word for you guys- RESPECT! If you hone your game in Keppel, you are ready for anything!

Welcome to keppel!
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 5118
Join date : 2009-06-18
Location : Home sweat home...

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:29 pm

pocketace wrote:
Folks, I felt compelled to dig up this old thread and give a review of this course. Feel free to critique.

I took part in SSG competition today. there're some fellas here with SSG too. anyway I walked away from the round feeling psychologically scarred... I never felt like I played so badly before. Lost so many balls. Bad swing creeps in as negative thoughts consumed me

On paper, many par 4 off white tee is less than 300m. But wait till u stare at the uphill fairway... I feel sorry for the senior citizen in my flight. One almost have to look away while the old uncle sweat and toil thru 18 holes. There is little room for error in this course. And yes, a one has to HIT a putt. Not stroke a putt here

I know there are Keppel members or regular keppel golfers in this forum. After today's experience, I only have one word for you guys- RESPECT! If you hone your game in Keppel, you are ready for anything!

Thats why when "i" shot 79 during the Singapore Junior Championship last week, it was so damn impressive given the fact that they all had to walk the course and play off the Blues. It was also Stroke Play, no gimmes 'inside the leather'.

Putting greens suck there but the place definitely trains you up on your accuracy. Take it easy and try to tackle it again when your game has improved. Wink
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2087
Join date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement guys. I thot my game has improved lately after shooting a few rounds in high 80s (not in Keppel of course!) But today's round brot me back to earth. I'll keep practicing and playing this game I love. Will I be back in keppel? Hmmm... Kudos to all the regulars at keppel. U guys Deserve a pat on ur back
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2411
Join date : 2009-11-29
Location : www.HuatLeow.com

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:16 pm

pocketace wrote:
Thanks for your kind words of encouragement guys. I thot my game has improved lately after shooting a few rounds in high 80s (not in Keppel of course!) But today's round brot me back to earth. I'll keep practicing and playing this game I love. Will I be back in keppel? Hmmm... Kudos to all the regulars at keppel. U guys Deserve a pat on ur back

Pocketace, actually Keppel is not that difficult to play, if we put our ego in check.
I bought a set of irons and decided to test it out without the woods.
I tee off with 3 irons and played 3 over for 9 holes.
Much better score than when I play with full set.

So next time just tee with 3 woods or hybrid will do.

There is nothing wrong with your game, the course is at fault.
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3248
Join date : 2009-07-17
Age : 41
Location : Serangoon Central

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:42 pm

Wah... This kind of challenging course makes me want to play there even more...
MC: when can we have a weekday game at keppel??????
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 7236
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Sillypore

PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:36 pm

august august... i see an opening... Smile

mloy also interested.... i will keep u guys updated...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Keppel Golf Club   Today at 9:29 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Keppel Golf Club
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Keppel Golf club
» Keppel Golf Club
» Looking for Sembawang or keppel Golf Club member to play on weekday with CIMB kakis
» Planning to learn golf @ Keppel Country Club
» How low do you grip your golf club?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Courses and Ranges-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.