Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

FR: Sahara Kuwait Resort Golf

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: FR: Sahara Kuwait Resort Golf    Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:14 am

At the heart of Sahara, Kuwait is our stunning 18-hole golf course, built to PGA championship standards. Crafted by Peter Harradine, the designer behind golf courses in Doha and Jabal Ali, this charming and challenging course is 6730 yards long and features three lakes and nearly 5000 trees.

Adding to the course's distinctive character are its 12 holes bounded by the race track of the Hunting and Equestrian Club. This serves not only to add a challenging change in topography, but also offers an excellent view of the horse races. In all, nearly 750,000 m3 of sand was removed to sculpt the undulating contours of a course that engages golfers at every level of consciousness.

I was there in the early morning on a weekday to experience the better golf course (Kuwait has 2) of the country and make it the 9th course I have played in the Middle East.

The Sahara Golf Course reminds me of 2 of my frequent golf haunts in Abu Dhabi and Singapore. Much like the Abu Dhabi City Golf Club because of the similar constraints having a course inside a race track (although Sahara brilliantly has 6 holes outside of the track) and thus making it a short 18 hole course. Images of NSRCC Changi pops into my head when I do round-abouts along the cart paths and seeing golfers tee off in my direction from another tee box that too far away from mine.

Conditions:

On a 22C and dry Sunday morning, I was quite surprised by the general conditions of the course. Fairways were firm and well manicured, but short of the lush and fresh bermuda that I am used to in the Emirates.

The greens were hard and very fast. Wicked contoured greens at half the holes made judging pace and breaks big worries.

Bunkers used coarse sand that were a tad heavy and damp, probably due to the rain the night before - a rarity in the Middle East by the way.

Difficulty:

One of the easier courses, and since it is bound by the race track, the Par 70 course was understandably short and straightforward.

The Par 4's played off the blue tees are reasonable in yardage and featured a couple of wicked dog legs, with the flag visible only at the second shot.

The two 520 yard Par 5's incorporated and made full use of the 3 lakes in the course to full advantage.

The Par 3's were the shorter ones and my favourite has to be the 11th Hole playing with a 50 feet drop from 122 yards to a small green.

Green Fee:

Weekdays: 30 Kuwaiti Dinar (130 SGD)
Weekends: 40 Kuwaiti Dinar (180 SGD)

Perks:

A nice club house/restaurant

Proximity from Kuwait City means a 20min drive to bask in the sun and escape from work for the morning.

Korean XMM (at least the day I was there)

Recommendation:

If I am stranded in Kuwait and dying for a game, I would probably part with my money for some fun, and maybe once a month. For the same rate, look no further than the Emirates for the insane options of more enjoyable clubs and courses.

Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: FR: Sahara Kuwait Resort Golf    Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:32 pm

eh...Korean XMM? What do they do for you? Wipe your sweat? Foot massage? Selling sugary drinks? Giving swing tips?
Back to top Go down

FR: Sahara Kuwait Resort Golf
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1