Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Magnolia Grove, Mobile Alabama...the RTJ Trail

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Magnolia Grove, Mobile Alabama...the RTJ Trail   Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:53 pm

Figured no one will be out and about playing golf when its Masters Weekend.

Snug over Mobile ( pronounced Mo-BEAL and I dunno why) Alabama which was an hour+ drive away from where I was and finally got to try out 1 of the courses on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail.

The Course was The Crossings at Magnolia Grove. It boasts 36 Championship holes and an 18 hole par 3 course.

http://www.rtjgolf.com/magnoliagrove/

For most who don't know what that is, it is situated in 'Forrest Gump' state of Alabama and home to the largest golf course construction project ever attempted. The Trail is a collection of 468 holes of championship golf on 11 different sites across Alabama. The Wall Street Journal said the Trail "may be the biggest bargain in the country" and The New York Times called the Trail "some of the best public golf on Earth."

http://www.rtjgolf.com/

And a bargain it definitely is. I booked a tee time online for The Crossings Course at Magnolia Grove and paid the princely sum of......USD$52. Yes $52 for a Sat Noon Tee time on a course that will host the Avnet LPGA Classic in 2 weeks time.

A couple of trailers were already in.

Not crowded. In fact, very peaceful and serene settings.

View from just outside the Pro Shop. I love the pine trees as they remind of a certain course hosting a Golf Major right now.

The driving range was cavernously framed by the pines and huge.

The 1st tee was blissful. Of course I got an earful of Southern Drawls from the Starter but still manageable to understand and we got into a healthy conversation about who will win the Masters.

This is what a fairway should look like. The blades of grass not looking scruffy and unkempt like the club I belong to in Sg.

The 3rd from the Tips

Looking back at the fairway on the 4th. Pristine white fine powder sand and immaculate fairways. Looks similar to anything you know?

Lunch from the cart girl. Turkey ham and cheese Sandwich.

The 16th had an unusual teebox for the tips - Right across from the railroad. They had it closed and moved it forward. It would have been interesting teeing off from there.

Looking down the 18th. Just 450yds worth of Par 4. The scoreboards and bleachers were being built.

I joined up with a twosome after the 7th: Steven Jackson and his 15yr old daughter Tatum Jackson. Both from Birmingham Alabama. She has won a couple of State junior tourneys and looking to play a junior tournament there right after the LPGA event. Good luck to her and best of luck.

Here's a video of a ho-hum 220yd drive down the middle for her.

FWIW, this is one very memorable course as it is very well maintained and best of all - Cheap!

People were friendly although I must admit seeing an Asian face out there was pretty unusual. I definitely don't look like a Korean LPGA player thats prob why. Laughing

Overall, one of the better courses I have played in the USA. Much more enjoyable than TPC Sawgrass Stadium.

Last edited by S70B on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Magnolia Grove, Mobile Alabama...the RTJ Trail   Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Sweeet!
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Magnolia Grove, Mobile Alabama...the RTJ Trail   Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:15 pm

There's something about playing golf out of Asia eh JT? Its just not the same and a whole lot more enjoyable.

Only things missing are the bargaining of strokes and the 50-50-100 bets on the line. ROFL

Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Magnolia Grove, Mobile Alabama...the RTJ Trail   Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Hey, you can intro the 50-50-100 concept when joining flights with locals yea.

The course looks goooooood. Swing
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Magnolia Grove, Mobile Alabama...the RTJ Trail   Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:14 pm

I assume this is a walking course? I think u need to walk in this type of course to really appreciate the natural beauty of the surrounding
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magnolia Grove, Mobile Alabama...the RTJ Trail   Today at 2:06 am

Back to top Go down

Magnolia Grove, Mobile Alabama...the RTJ Trail
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1