Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

I've become a hooker

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alucard
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: I've become a hooker   Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:57 am

Lately im hooking all my shots seriously to the left. I hv been using this driver quite ok but now this hook occurred suddenly. Before I go to my coach, I just want to ask for general opinions. If all things equal, hv I outgrown my shaftflex?
My irons on kbs tour are ok.

I'm using a TM oem Motore 55g Regular.
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: I've become a hooker   Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:07 am

Pwah.... for a moment I thought the thread with that kind of description was gonna be an unusual topic.

Anyway alucard hope someone here can help you with your questions.

Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I've become a hooker   Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:11 am

maybe you might wanna consider post up 1 or 2 of your swing video, that should make it much easier for our pro here to give a tip or two...

just my suggestion
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I've become a hooker   Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:28 am

alucard,

Hi. I can see from your posts you are an enthusiastic golfer who loves his Scotty and his coffee. That makes you a cool guy in my book (we have those things in common Smile ). Great that you tried the MP52, but sorry to see you gave it up.

From the pictures of your irons (Jan 2010), you have an outside in path and consistent with that, you tend to hit towards the toe. That was one year ago. (That's probably what made you give up the MP52, which are not so forgiving on toe hits.)

To compensate, you may have adopted a stronger grip, turning a slice into a fade. Or, you might be rotating your hands through impact to square the face, or a bit of both.

A hook is when the club face is too shut compared to the swing path.

If the shaft is too soft, it may kick too early and shut the face at impact. 55g is quite light and soft, but whether or not it is too soft for you is determined by your swing speed.

Rotating hands too much through impact may also contribute to this.

You might also want to check whether it is a hook (ball goes left in a curved line, like a reverse of a slice) or a pull (balls goes left in a straight line.) The two are caused by different things.

As you said, your coach will probably be able to set you back on course. Without a video, we can only guess here.
Back to top Go down
alucard
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I've become a hooker   Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Thanks all! Let me try to get someone to film my ugly swing. I kept the mp52 and had since restarted them with kbs tours. They are great now. Sone was telling ne I was swinging from 4-11 o'clock (view fr above) with a square face thus causing the hook.

Guess no excuse to change eqpt until I see the coach. Hehe
Back to top Go down
alucard
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I've become a hooker   Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Oh and my ball curves left.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I've become a hooker   Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:00 pm

Glad to hear you kept the MP52s, and have learnt to hit them well. Consistent with my theory that reduced forgiveness helps to improve the swing.

Also, from the sound of it, your coach has corrected your previous out-to-in path; I would have thought so.

4-11 o'clock viewed from above and your ball curving mean good news.

Seems to suggest that your grip is too strong, and the face is too closed to your club path at impact.

Try adopting a grip that is a touch weaker, keeping everything, esp the club path, the same, and see what happens to the ball flight.

Adjust the strength of the grip (weaker or stronger) until you get the ball flight you're seeking.

Strong grip

Weak grip

Let us know the outcome.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
alucard
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I've become a hooker   Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:50 pm

I changed my grip slightly today, with my right hand being less under the club. Now my ball flight is back to normal. Thanks bros!
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I've become a hooker   Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:38 am

alucard wrote:
I changed my grip slightly today, with my right hand being less under the club. Now my ball flight is back to normal. Thanks bros!

Glad to hear your problem is solved. cheers
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I've become a hooker   Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:41 am

Lee36328 wrote:
alucard wrote:

Bro Lee,
Like that also can ah??? You r amazing! Just like a blind masseur who does not need to look at his client, u read the post and know what the likely faults are.

Can u give me four numbers ah? Been losing a lot of bets recently, must top up the bank account.

Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I've become a hooker   Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:05 am

mloy wrote:
Pwah.... for a moment I thought the thread with that kind of description was gonna be an unusual topic.

Anyway alucard hope someone here can help you with your questions.

Monica ... I have the same feeling too .. that is why I click on the thread immediately but was disappointed .. talking about golf stuffs again ? lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I've become a hooker   Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:17 am

Denmeister wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
alucard wrote:

Bro Lee,
Like that also can ah??? You r amazing! Just like a blind masseur who does not need to look at his client, u read the post and know what the likely faults are.

Can u give me four numbers ah? Been losing a lot of bets recently, must top up the bank account.

Denmeister,

Of course, like that also can lah .. only for Bro Lee .. We knew those time that Lee has been spending just studying a golf swing. I still remember the time when we are still talking about golf swings at 2 am in a Hotel room ... That is time when Lee show how horrible my golf swing look like, through a video .. It was corrected immediately in the next game in the morning.

You losing bets ? so what happened ? You become a hooker too ? lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I've become a hooker   Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:44 am

Denmeister wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
alucard wrote:

Bro Lee,

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Blind? Masseur? Err... thanks, I think?

Been losing bets?

I thought you found a much better and more repeatable way to swing? Sure or not.

Probably could take a look and tune up the swing.

Petrol + NS Toll + round of golf might be cheaper than continuing to pay your friends (*hint* Wink )
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: I've become a hooker   Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:53 am

Slicer51 wrote:

Denmeister,

Of course, like that also can lah .. only for Bro Lee .. We knew those time that Lee has been spending just studying a golf swing. I still remember the time when we are still talking about golf swings at 2 am in a Hotel room ... That is time when Lee show how horrible my golf swing look like, through a video .. It was corrected immediately in the next game in the morning.

Bro, that was some time back, but nice that you remembered.

I was in 'primary school' then.
Now I am about to 'write my thesis.' Just imagine... (cue Twilight Zone music) study study study Wink

But back to topic.

With enough information, it is not difficult to deduce what is happening, provided one knows where to look. With a bit more skill, it is possible to propose a solution.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've become a hooker   Today at 12:40 am

Back to top Go down

I've become a hooker
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1