Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Golf Fitness...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 1725
Join date : 2009-06-17
Location : Laguna National Golf and Country Club

PostSubject: Golf Fitness...   Wed May 04, 2011 9:41 pm

I copied this extract from a newsletter I subscribe too. The author is Susan Hill, she is also a Golf Fitness Instuctor..

I think she has some good points...

___________________________________

Some golfers never seem to get any better. Why do you think that is?

Here are some leading theories.

1. Many golfers don't play enough to earn the right to play better golf. Yes, good golf, for the most part, is definitely earned! Outside of the occasional 'great shot', playing great golf or even better golf takes a fair amount of effort. It requires practice and lots of play. Some people don't have the time or the interest to actually get better or invest the time. They just want the benefit of playing better. Most of us mere mortals can't get away with this. We have to put in the time, just like any other sport.

2. The body is ill prepared for all the right shots. I can't imagine this is something you've never heard, but golf DOES take a reasonable amount of flexibility. This is especially true in the hips, shoulders and mid back. I always refer to them as the big 3. Even if you can visualize a great shot in your mind, doesn't mean your body is ready to pull it off. While flexibility is likely the most important fitness component, never underestimate strength of the hands, wrists and core.

3. It's hard to improve when you are not sure exactly what it wrong. You instinctly know you are not playing your best and you are trying to get better. But, what exactly is the problem. According to many golf instructors who train tour professionals, there are 7 significant factors that affect consistent play. They include playing with properly fitted equipment, good swing instruction, strong fitness, golf specifc nutrition for energy management, mental preparation, support system in place and rest and recovery. Each of these play a role in managing your thoughts, your actions and your body when playing a round of golf. The more you play and the more you aspire to be better, the larger the role they play.

4. Injuries get in the way of swinging the club the way you want or playing as often as you like. This is a big one especially early in the season when many golfers take time off then don't spend the time to get their bodies ready before a full season of play. Some early signs of injuries are ignored, then become bigger problems when the demands to play are at an all time high.
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
billi
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 752
Join date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Wed May 04, 2011 10:22 pm

I already book a few lessons for

"golf Pilates " Golf Biomechanic
will give with Gr some feedback end of this months .anyones wan to join me ,Pm me

Back to top Go down
golfchowmk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 636
Join date : 2009-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Wed May 04, 2011 10:42 pm

billi wrote:
I already book a few lessons for

"golf Pilates " Golf Biomechanic
will give with Gr some feedback end of this months .anyones wan to join me ,Pm me


Bro Bill i wish to join u ley but time frame got problem lor.. u learn first ok than u teach me ok. Bro when is our lunch appt.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 5606
Join date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Wed May 04, 2011 10:42 pm

right now, i'm more concerned with having good health to play the sport than becoming fit/strong to play the sport well.

So I try to take care of my body, particularly the lower back and upper buttocks where I have old injuries to my spine. I trained with personal trainers to learn stretching and strengthening some muscles that support my back/posture. During flare ups, I go physio.

i truly hope my back will last me for a while.
Back to top Go down
billi
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 752
Join date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Wed May 04, 2011 10:45 pm

golfchowmk wrote:
billi wrote:
I already book a few lessons for

"golf Pilates " Golf Biomechanic
will give with Gr some feedback end of this months .anyones wan to join me ,Pm me


Bro Bill i wish to join u ley but time frame got problem lor.. u learn first ok than u teach me ok. Bro when is our lunch appt.

how to teach u . ur hse have full gypm equipment
lunch no issue , next week la .

This program develops optimal biomechanical (efficient movement of all joints) and neuromechanical (efficient communication between the body's nervous system and all joints) relationships in a golfer's body.

But dont know true or not la . just try out lor .


Last edited by billi on Wed May 04, 2011 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
golfchowmk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 636
Join date : 2009-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Wed May 04, 2011 10:48 pm

billi wrote:
golfchowmk wrote:
billi wrote:
I already book a few lessons for

"golf Pilates " Golf Biomechanic
will give with Gr some feedback end of this months .anyones wan to join me ,Pm me


Bro Bill i wish to join u ley but time frame got problem lor.. u learn first ok than u teach me ok. Bro when is our lunch appt.

lunch no issue , next week la .

Ok will text u next week.
Back to top Go down
billi
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 752
Join date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Wed May 04, 2011 10:50 pm

sure ... Onnnn u
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Wed May 04, 2011 11:45 pm

pushslice wrote:
right now, i'm more concerned with having good health to play the sport than becoming fit/strong to play the sport well.

So I try to take care of my body, particularly the lower back and upper buttocks where I have old injuries to my spine. I trained with personal trainers to learn stretching and strengthening some muscles that support my back/posture. During flare ups, I go physio.

i truly hope my back will last me for a while.

i have the same problem at the same portion of my back, it's constantly aching and nothing seems to help...it felt like muscle stiffness whenever i stand up from a sitting position...maybe you can show me what stretching is good for the back...
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 260
Join date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Thu May 05, 2011 12:04 am

Bro billi, interested to know more about this "Golf Pilates" you're attending, can share more info?

Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1386
Join date : 2010-06-04
Age : 77
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Thu May 05, 2011 12:29 am

navik wrote:
Bro billi, interested to know more about this "Golf Pilates" you're attending, can share more info?


methinks should be more or less the same as 'Classic Pilates' lah.
Pilates is about strengthening your core muscles.

I did Pilates for a few months, hoping to strengthen my core ... to keep me in shape for golf.. haha Embarassed

So most prob this one target on those most often used by golfers?


Good to attend!!! Razz

Ex or not? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 5606
Join date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Thu May 05, 2011 7:37 am

golf_snowman wrote:
pushslice wrote:
right now, i'm more concerned with having good health to play the sport than becoming fit/strong to play the sport well.

So I try to take care of my body, particularly the lower back and upper buttocks where I have old injuries to my spine. I trained with personal trainers to learn stretching and strengthening some muscles that support my back/posture. During flare ups, I go physio.

i truly hope my back will last me for a while.

i have the same problem at the same portion of my back, it's constantly aching and nothing seems to help...it felt like muscle stiffness whenever i stand up from a sitting position...maybe you can show me what stretching is good for the back...

if you have spondiolitis like I do, then do hip raise against the wall and lateral hip stretch. better I show you when we meet next time but it's best to see the experts for analysis first. You can come to my trainer for 1 hour free analysis, if interested. Crunches, press ups and the sun salutation pose in yoga are bad for spondy as well.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Thu May 05, 2011 8:41 am

pushslice wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
pushslice wrote:
right now, i'm more concerned with having good health to play the sport than becoming fit/strong to play the sport well.

So I try to take care of my body, particularly the lower back and upper buttocks where I have old injuries to my spine. I trained with personal trainers to learn stretching and strengthening some muscles that support my back/posture. During flare ups, I go physio.

i truly hope my back will last me for a while.

i have the same problem at the same portion of my back, it's constantly aching and nothing seems to help...it felt like muscle stiffness whenever i stand up from a sitting position...maybe you can show me what stretching is good for the back...

if you have spondiolitis like I do, then do hip raise against the wall and lateral hip stretch. better I show you when we meet next time but it's best to see the experts for analysis first. You can come to my trainer for 1 hour free analysis, if interested. Crunches, press ups and the sun salutation pose in yoga are bad for spondy as well.

hi bro

yes, i'm interested to find out what exactly is happening to my back, it might or might not be spondy...your trainer can perform the analysis ? i thot he is a physical trainer...keke
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 5606
Join date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Thu May 05, 2011 8:54 am

there is one guy just focusing on physical rehab, he does the analysis. the exercises are with physical trainer. since exercising to improve my posture, i have no pain in my upper back.

i'll ask my trainer, and give you a 1 hour voucher, maybe at our next Par 3 game
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Thu May 05, 2011 9:04 am

pushslice wrote:
there is one guy just focusing on physical rehab, he does the analysis. the exercises are with physical trainer. since exercising to improve my posture, i have no pain in my upper back.

i'll ask my trainer, and give you a 1 hour voucher, maybe at our next Par 3 game

thanks bro...

i only wanted to know more about my back, tentatively no plan to take up any package yet as i'm still with fitness first centre....

par3 game still on going ?...keke...din see any post liao leh
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 2159
Join date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Thu May 05, 2011 9:18 am

By the way, does anyone else suffer from a slightly sore left knee (I am a right handed golfer) after playing a round of golf or an intense range session?

The soreness is in the outer ligaments, both at the front and the back of the knee.

Anyone faced this before and any advice on how to deal with it?


_________________
========================================
What's in the Bag

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 5606
Join date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Thu May 05, 2011 9:35 am

Sure thing, just for analysis. They dont sell packages. Par 3 usually me and will. I text u fb lah.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Thu May 05, 2011 9:42 am

roger roger.....
Back to top Go down
billi
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 752
Join date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Thu May 05, 2011 10:13 am

golf_snowman wrote:
pushslice wrote:
right now, i'm more concerned with having good health to play the sport than becoming fit/strong to play the sport well.

So I try to take care of my body, particularly the lower back and upper buttocks where I have old injuries to my spine. I trained with personal trainers to learn stretching and strengthening some muscles that support my back/posture. During flare ups, I go physio.

i truly hope my back will last me for a while.

i have the same problem at the same portion of my back, it's constantly aching and nothing seems to help...it felt like muscle stiffness whenever i stand up from a sitting position...maybe you can show me what stretching is good for the back...

I have this problem of my back . It happen to pass by the studio . when the trainer look at me .he ask me Am I playing alot of golf cos of my skin colour abit black black la ,
I told him ya why ,u wan to join me to play .he say to me my ball cannot launch high and always fade shot ,( my kaki use to told me am nature fade so sian right ) i just smile at him .he also ask me whether i wan to improve my distance for driver . Sure wan right . I told him that i believe in technology not Pilates .He look at me and say : .I guarantee you distance improve .but 8 weeks lessons and also must do it at home exercise .I didn't sign up at that point of time .left the studio ,not smiling .

Than I go and change my iron sets to hit higher trajectory.( burner09 ) and change the shaft of my driver to V2 high launch . ( haizzz,,,, still hit a bit lowball ,my frens use to tease me that )

Finally I decide .sign up la , hehehe ( paiseh man ) I remember a few year back Pro Tendy saw my swing he also guarantee me to lower my score . he did it .
Back to top Go down
billi
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 752
Join date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Thu May 05, 2011 10:17 am

navik wrote:
Bro billi, interested to know more about this "Golf Pilates" you're attending, can share more info?


Bro what info u need , do know whether can share here or not . I PM u the website of the studio .ok .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Golf Fitness...   Today at 3:54 am

Back to top Go down
 
Golf Fitness...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Golf Fitness and Flexibility Survey
» Golf Fitness...
» Golf Fitness
» OOB GOlf
» My New Toy - the RC golf trolley

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.