Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Straight Vs Curved

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:59 pm

Just wanted to check what is the difference between

1. A bowed wrist at impact (left wrist)
2. A flat wrist at impact. (left wrist)

I've read that a bowed wrist at impact especially for Irons is supposed to be really good for ball compression. But then wouldnt a bowed wrist at impact for drivers be disastarous??

Please do help to enlightend this noob.....

Back to top Go down
Joshua
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 570
Join date : 2010-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:06 pm

Ben hogan, Sergio Garcia are examples.. Pure ball strikers with maximum lag. Bowing is needed
Back to top Go down
Joshua
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 570
Join date : 2010-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Bro Winston, always noticed with "those" ladies pictures

They re-routed to Vietnam?

Hee Hee
Back to top Go down
namyokyok
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 68
Join date : 2011-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Winston wrote:
But then wouldnt a bowed wrist at impact for drivers be disastarous??


Driver lofts = average 10*

if you bow 5*, you will hit your driver like putter
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1270
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:16 pm

if i am not wrong and correct me if i am, right sided swing also shld have bowed wrist on impact for compression?
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:44 pm

Joshua wrote:
Ben hogan, Sergio Garcia are examples.. Pure ball strikers with maximum lag. Bowing is needed

What is the relationship between bowing the wrist and holding the hinge angle of the wrist? I thought it was 2 different seperate things???


Last edited by Winston on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1004
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Dubai

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:53 pm

2 seperate yet inter-connected things ...

Left wrist hinges and un-hinges,
Right wrist bends back (and hence left wrist bowed)

If you lose your hinge early, tendancy is for the right wrist to take over, causing a golfer to flip and arrive at impact with a bent left wrist (rather than a bowed/ flat one)

Difficult to explain in words!
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:59 pm

TourSwing wrote:
2 seperate yet inter-connected things ...

Left wrist hinges and un-hinges,
Right wrist bends back (and hence left wrist bowed)

If you lose your hinge early, tendancy is for the right wrist to take over, causing a golfer to flip and arrive at impact with a bent left wrist (rather than a bowed/ flat one)

Difficult to explain in words!

I also know that if your release the hinge early, it will cause you to hit the ground first and also lose power. I was also taught to have a flat wrist throughout the back swing as well as impact....


Last edited by Winston on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1004
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Dubai

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:22 pm

You have been taught well Very Happy

Take a look at some of Dustin Johnson's swings (slow-mo) on youtube ... hitting a driver with a bowed left wrist ... Pay particular attention to his axis tilt which allows him not to have to hit down on the ball ... So much stored power, and lag, Recipe for long bombs!
Back to top Go down
Joshua
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 570
Join date : 2010-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:07 pm

Yap.. Tourswing you are right.. Long bombers holds the lag till almost impact zone that's why needa bow

@bro Winston, the ball is teed up on drivers.. Hitting it on the upswing mah.. No issue with compressing the ball with a bowed wrist.. Smile
Back to top Go down
Joshua
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 570
Join date : 2010-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:10 pm

But of course needa know how to lay off the club properly 1st
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 6193
Join date : 2009-08-22
Age : 35
Location : Training

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:37 pm

just hit the damn ball lah!

_________________
Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 10.5* Ahina 60 R
PRGR EGG Spoon 15* MRC Fubuki Alpha 70S
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 19* MRC Fubuki AH R
Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:39 pm

eiji wrote:
just hit the damn ball lah!

snowman like this......
Back to top Go down
Joshua
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 570
Join date : 2010-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:53 pm

Bro Winston, why don't you try the supination move during your next practice session
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:04 pm

Joshua wrote:
Bro Winston, why don't you try the supination move during your next practice session

Very "deep" your words. Don;t know what it means.

I think should be just like eiji, JUST HIT THE DAMM BALL!!!!
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Winston wrote:
Joshua wrote:
Bro Winston, why don't you try the supination move during your next practice session

Very "deep" your words. Don;t know what it means.

I think should be just like eiji, JUST HIT THE DAMM BALL!!!!

bro,

what you were taught was very good...keep wrist flat all the time, thru impact...keep it up

i have been trying to do that..still fail...Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:36 pm

golf_snowman wrote:


bro,

what you were taught was very good...keep wrist flat all the time, thru impact...keep it up

i have been trying to do that..still fail...Sad Sad

Actually hor, keeping the wrist flat for me is easy.

Its preventing the left elbow from breaking at impact and preventing the left shoulder form spinning out that is giving me problems leh.....
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5879
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 90
Location : Pin Hole

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:40 pm

Winston wrote:
Joshua wrote:
Bro Winston, why don't you try the supination move during your next practice session

Very "deep" your words. Don;t know what it means.

I think should be just like eiji, JUST HIT THE DAMM BALL!!!!

Not as deep as those on your aVatar I guess ... Laughing


Last edited by Turbo on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Joshua
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 570
Join date : 2010-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:46 pm

Bro Winston avatar cannot have bowed wrist, need to have cupped wrist to handle them
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2702
Join date : 2009-12-11
Location : golf club graveyard

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:59 pm

bro winston,

i just hope i can repeat my flat wrist at impact. if it goes any other way, its a disaster for me.. although on the driver a little long is always welcomed!
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:13 pm

mizzy wrote:
bro winston,

i just hope i can repeat my flat wrist at impact. if it goes any other way, its a disaster for me.. although on the driver a little long is always welcomed!

I spend many many hours at the range with my coach ensuring that I have a flat wrist throughout the whole back swing and right through impact. IT was not easy but I managed it. I am sure you can. considering that you are a much better player than me..
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2702
Join date : 2009-12-11
Location : golf club graveyard

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:24 pm

Winston wrote:
mizzy wrote:
bro winston,

i just hope i can repeat my flat wrist at impact. if it goes any other way, its a disaster for me.. although on the driver a little long is always welcomed!

I spend many many hours at the range with my coach ensuring that I have a flat wrist throughout the whole back swing and right through impact. IT was not easy but I managed it. I am sure you can. considering that you are a much better player than me..

can't say i'm a better player.. i still cast and still flip my wrist.. haiz..
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:46 pm


mizzy wrote:
Winston wrote:
mizzy wrote:
bro winston,

i just hope i can repeat my flat wrist at impact. if it goes any other way, its a disaster for me.. although on the driver a little long is always welcomed!

I spend many many hours at the range with my coach ensuring that I have a flat wrist throughout the whole back swing and right through impact. IT was not easy but I managed it. I am sure you can. considering that you are a much better player than me..

can't say i'm a better player.. i still cast and still flip my wrist.. haiz..

Eeerrr...I have yet to break 100 and still tryin to buld some consistency into my basic swing..
Back to top Go down
cwpei8888
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 118
Join date : 2011-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:02 pm

bro winston, i really luv ur posting. just can't stop "reading"
may be you can post also lower body swing rather than upper body swing.
ROFL

anyway swing what best our body condition. as long can hit far and consistent, that will be the swing.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2702
Join date : 2009-12-11
Location : golf club graveyard

PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:33 pm

Winston wrote:

mizzy wrote:
Winston wrote:
mizzy wrote:
bro winston,

i just hope i can repeat my flat wrist at impact. if it goes any other way, its a disaster for me.. although on the driver a little long is always welcomed!

I spend many many hours at the range with my coach ensuring that I have a flat wrist throughout the whole back swing and right through impact. IT was not easy but I managed it. I am sure you can. considering that you are a much better player than me..

can't say i'm a better player.. i still cast and still flip my wrist.. haiz..

Eeerrr...I have yet to break 100 and still tryin to buld some consistency into my basic swing..

hahah.. that means i'm a seasoned beginner.. bad swing but not so bad scores.. haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Straight Vs Curved   Today at 12:27 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Straight Vs Curved
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Straight Vs Curved
» The Equalizer load distributing hitch
» How to tell if the front wheel is straight?
» dead bait straight ledger running rig question....
» 3rd gen power stering in V8 adapt to 250 straight 6?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Ask The Pro-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.