Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Grip presure

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1270
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Grip presure   Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:33 am

Last night i went to the driving range amd discovered that the direction of the ball varies greatly depending on which fingers i apply more pressure on in my grip.

Anyone experience this and can anyone shed light as to which fingers shld the main pressure points be on?

Eg if i press harder on my right index finger, the ball tends to hook.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1270
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Grip presure   Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:53 am

Found the answer to my own question.

The Smart Path To Better golf
Q & A | Instruction | Help With Your Problem Areas
Grip Pressure

BY GEOFF GREIG

The single most important aspect of grip pressure is that it stays the same throughout the swing. One of the biggest destroyers of the golf swing is an increase in grip pressure at the start of the downswing. When this happens it is virtually impossible to swing the clubhead on the correct path with the correct face angle. If anything the grip pressure should lighten slightly on the downswing to help us fully release the club.

Here is a simple drill to help you stop choking the club on the downswing. During your practice sessions check your grip pressure when you are addressing the ball and check it again when you are holding your finish position. It should be the same at the finish as it was during address. If it is not you have some work to do. The more often you check on yourself, the sooner your brain will get the message you want the pressure to stay the same.

If we were to rate grip pressure on a scale of one to ten (with ten being a death grip and one being just barely enough pressure to keep the club from falling out of our hands) the ideal grip pressure is between 3 and 5. The lighter the better. We need speed to propel the ball long distances NOT FORCE. Swinging a golf club is similar to throwing a ball, the muscles of the hand and arm should be loose and whippy. The tighter we hold on the SLOWER the clubhead will be moving when it gets to the ball.

The control of the club comes from the last three fingers of the left hand and the middle two fingers of the right hand. Proper grip position will take care of this for us. You do not need to consciously hold on tighter with these areas. Be very careful of the thumb and trigger finger of the right hand! They are the most likely source of unwanted pressure during the swing. Practice swinging with them off the club. It will feel strange at first but, if you stay with it you will notice tremendous distance and control benefits in the long run.

Back to top Go down
puteh83
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 479
Join date : 2009-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Grip presure   Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:52 pm

i read somewhere that a certain pro used to teach kids to dry swing with an uncapped tube of toothpaste. when the toothpaste doesn't get squeeze out, that's the right pressure.

Any insights?
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1270
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Grip presure   Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:57 pm

I really fear the club fly out of my hands. Thats why i chose multi compound grips
Back to top Go down
antloh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 55
Join date : 2010-02-12
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Grip presure   Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:53 pm

Gray wrote:
Found the answer to my own question.

The Smart Path To Better golf
Q & A | Instruction | Help With Your Problem Areas
Grip Pressure

BY GEOFF GREIG

The single most important aspect of grip pressure is that it stays the same throughout the swing. One of the biggest destroyers of the golf swing is an increase in grip pressure at the start of the downswing. When this happens it is virtually impossible to swing the clubhead on the correct path with the correct face angle. If anything the grip pressure should lighten slightly on the downswing to help us fully release the club.

Here is a simple drill to help you stop choking the club on the downswing. During your practice sessions check your grip pressure when you are addressing the ball and check it again when you are holding your finish position. It should be the same at the finish as it was during address. If it is not you have some work to do. The more often you check on yourself, the sooner your brain will get the message you want the pressure to stay the same.

If we were to rate grip pressure on a scale of one to ten (with ten being a death grip and one being just barely enough pressure to keep the club from falling out of our hands) the ideal grip pressure is between 3 and 5. The lighter the better. We need speed to propel the ball long distances NOT FORCE. Swinging a golf club is similar to throwing a ball, the muscles of the hand and arm should be loose and whippy. The tighter we hold on the SLOWER the clubhead will be moving when it gets to the ball.

The control of the club comes from the last three fingers of the left hand and the middle two fingers of the right hand. Proper grip position will take care of this for us. You do not need to consciously hold on tighter with these areas. Be very careful of the thumb and trigger finger of the right hand! They are the most likely source of unwanted pressure during the swing. Practice swinging with them off the club. It will feel strange at first but, if you stay with it you will notice tremendous distance and control benefits in the long run.


Will try this out to see if this is the reason for my fading balls.
Back to top Go down
puteh83
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 479
Join date : 2009-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Grip presure   Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:41 am

Gray wrote:
I really fear the club fly out of my hands. Thats why i chose multi compound grips

but multi compound grips causes alot of discomfort.

Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1270
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Grip presure   Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:57 am

puteh83 wrote:
Gray wrote:
I really fear the club fly out of my hands. Thats why i chose multi compound grips

but multi compound grips causes alot of discomfort.


ya and BLISTERS
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 3798
Join date : 2009-10-09
Age : 51
Location : Wherever my feet take me....

PostSubject: Re: Grip presure   Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:49 am

If you're getting blisters whatever the rubber grip you are using, your hands are slipping from an improper grip. The most likely area where this happens is during the transition from backswing to downswing.

Check that your grip is unified and airtight as one and that you only feel pressure exerted by the last three fingers of your left hand and the middle two fingers of the right.

Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 10361
Join date : 2009-12-19
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Grip presure   Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:05 pm

Birdman wrote:
If you're getting blisters whatever the rubber grip you are using, your hands are slipping from an improper grip. The most likely area where this happens is during the transition from backswing to downswing.

Check that your grip is unified and airtight as one and that you only feel pressure exerted by the last three fingers of your left hand and the middle two fingers of the right.


7 early 8 early got such profound advice liao. affraid

Anyway, agree with BM here. Most likely to do with the gripping rather than the grips.

Me using multi compound all this while.....so far so good. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 5606
Join date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Grip presure   Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:09 pm

A pro in bali once taught me the grip pressure is actually from pinkie to middle finger. Not on the index and thumb. Same as on the article.

Thereafter, i stopped having blisters and to my surprise, actually started swinging better.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 3798
Join date : 2009-10-09
Age : 51
Location : Wherever my feet take me....

PostSubject: Re: Grip presure   Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:01 pm

To feel where the grip pressure is applied, grip the club in the address position with just the left hand. Then cock your left wrist raising the club upwards from the address position till it's about horizontal. Lift of the index finger and thumb from the grip leaving just the last three fingers on.

Repeat the same with the right hand, except at the horizontal position, you have only the middle and ring fingers gripping the club against the fleshy thumb pad of your palm.

Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Grip presure   Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:51 pm

I often encounter this problem. The stronger my grip, the more likely I'm going to pull my shot.

I spoke with many of our more senior golfers here and they advised that a gripping the club should be like gripping a tube of toothpaste. You want to grip it hard enough so that it doesn't slip out of your hands but not too hard such that the toothpaste comes out of the tube.

Yes, it's a fine line but it's helped. I don't always get this right but I'm learning Smile

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1270
Join date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Grip presure   Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:01 pm

I followed the article and my shots in the range getting more consistently straight instead of 50-50% chance straight.

Those who cant hit straight may want to check grip first
Back to top Go down
kwannick
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 200
Join date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Grip presure   Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:20 pm

V enlightening thread. Thanks for everybody for sharing! Now if I can only release my "vise-like" grip when I am swinging....Another swing thought...*sigh*
Back to top Go down
megatiskandar
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 23
Join date : 2012-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Grip presure   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 pm

I also have grip pressure issue - even now. But i found, similar to Gray, that new decade multi compound grips works to reduce this issue to an extent.
Back to top Go down
Lisy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 208
Join date : 2011-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Grip presure   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:35 pm

ahyoyo..

so complex..
think simple..

Hold it gently but firm.. hold it with no pressure...
just like how you hold the hand of the one that you love..

Back to top Go down
slazenger
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 66
Join date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Grip presure   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks to the sifus in this forum!

Very enlightening posts!
Will try this next at the range!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Grip presure   Today at 8:20 am

Back to top Go down
 
Grip presure
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Grip presure
» New N-DUR grip from Lamkin
» How low do you grip your golf club?
» New Leather Grip Tester needed
» grip strength advice..ask david horne any question on grip training....

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.