Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 47
Location : Wild Wild West

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:35 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I wonder - given that the President is not supposed to have any political power, why do we care who gets elected? If anything, we should elect someone who is good looking, speaks well and gives a great impression of Singapore since he's the face of the nation.

i think i am a better candidate than u....

since i am willing to wait in line for a cup of starbucks coffee...
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:36 pm

gomjgo wrote:
Tituman wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
I wonder - given that the President is not supposed to have any political power, why do we care who gets elected? If anything, we should elect someone who is good looking, speaks well and gives a great impression of Singapore since he's the face of the nation.

Wise man speaketh wise words. Thumbs up to you TS. Out of the 4, only TT is best suited for the job. He knows how to handle dignitaries from other countries, don't need the extra pay from being a President, being an ex President of OCBC speaks volume as regards to personal wealth. The rest it seems to me like got personal vendetta or riding on the back of current wave of just opposing anything that has relationship to PAP hopefully can land a highly paid job. To me TT has the sincerity and capability to do a decent job and represent Singapore in front of other dignitaries of the world. So now all knows who I am voting for .... cheers

titu

I thought TKL & TJS both promised to donate bulk of the $4 Million President's salary to charity if elected? Being a President of a commercial bank is different in prestige as compared to being a elected President of a nation.


He is also if I am not wrong a nephew of the late Tan Chin Tuan. Their family tree has gold trees which bears gold ingots as fruits. So what the heck is money to them???? scratch


Last edited by Tituman on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:38 pm

slinger wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
I wonder - given that the President is not supposed to have any political power, why do we care who gets elected? If anything, we should elect someone who is good looking, speaks well and gives a great impression of Singapore since he's the face of the nation.

i think i am a better candidate than u....

since i am willing to wait in line for a cup of starbucks coffee...

You queue at Starbuck?? I queue at sarabat stall. Win you already lor. Peace
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:40 pm

You ordered one of those fancy named coffee while I only know Teh Tarik... Teh Alia..Teh Kosong....Teh Susu... Laughing
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 47
Location : Wild Wild West

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:52 pm

Tituman wrote:
You ordered one of those fancy named coffee while I only know Teh Tarik... Teh Alia..Teh Kosong....Teh Susu... Laughing

bro, its not easy to order teh tarik in that costume of yours....

the police might have to come in n control the crowd... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 486
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 44
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:12 pm

Arrow Down


Last edited by DRGjr72 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:48 pm

slinger wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
I wonder - given that the President is not supposed to have any political power, why do we care who gets elected? If anything, we should elect someone who is good looking, speaks well and gives a great impression of Singapore since he's the face of the nation.

i think i am a better candidate than u....

since i am willing to wait in line for a cup of starbucks coffee...

So am I... and I do leave tips too Smile

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
gomjgo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 107
Join date : 2010-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:23 pm

Tituman wrote:
gomjgo wrote:
Tituman wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
I wonder - given that the President is not supposed to have any political power, why do we care who gets elected? If anything, we should elect someone who is good looking, speaks well and gives a great impression of Singapore since he's the face of the nation.

Wise man speaketh wise words. Thumbs up to you TS. Out of the 4, only TT is best suited for the job. He knows how to handle dignitaries from other countries, don't need the extra pay from being a President, being an ex President of OCBC speaks volume as regards to personal wealth. The rest it seems to me like got personal vendetta or riding on the back of current wave of just opposing anything that has relationship to PAP hopefully can land a highly paid job. To me TT has the sincerity and capability to do a decent job and represent Singapore in front of other dignitaries of the world. So now all knows who I am voting for .... cheers

titu

I thought TKL & TJS both promised to donate bulk of the $4 Million President's salary to charity if elected? Being a President of a commercial bank is different in prestige as compared to being a elected President of a nation.


He is also if I am not wrong a nephew of the late Tan Chin Tuan. Their family tree has gold trees which bears gold ingots as fruits. So what the heck is money to them???? scratch

Good question, I'm also wondering why so many billionaires who have a gold mine at their closet still chasing after $$$... Question Question
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 6193
Join date : 2009-08-22
Age : 35
Location : Training

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:34 am

Tituman wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
I wonder - given that the President is not supposed to have any political power, why do we care who gets elected? If anything, we should elect someone who is good looking, speaks well and gives a great impression of Singapore since he's the face of the nation.

Wise man speaketh wise words. Thumbs up to you TS. Out of the 4, only TT is best suited for the job. He knows how to handle dignitaries from other countries, don't need the extra pay from being a President, being an ex President of OCBC speaks volume as regards to personal wealth. The rest it seems to me like got personal vendetta or riding on the back of current wave of just opposing anything that has relationship to PAP hopefully can land a highly paid job. To me TT has the sincerity and capability to do a decent job and represent Singapore in front of other dignitaries of the world. So now all knows who I am voting for .... cheers

titu

Titu...read this before you choose. Being an ex-president of OCBC doesn't mean that he is qualified for being the guardian over the reserves.

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08/19/tony-tan-lost-nearly-s60-billion-dollars-as-deputy-chairman-of-gic-in-2008/
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2702
Join date : 2009-12-11
Location : golf club graveyard

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:36 am

i guess the richer you are the wiser you are.. people with money seem to talk louder..
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:55 am

eiji wrote:
Tituman wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
I wonder - given that the President is not supposed to have any political power, why do we care who gets elected? If anything, we should elect someone who is good looking, speaks well and gives a great impression of Singapore since he's the face of the nation.

Wise man speaketh wise words. Thumbs up to you TS. Out of the 4, only TT is best suited for the job. He knows how to handle dignitaries from other countries, don't need the extra pay from being a President, being an ex President of OCBC speaks volume as regards to personal wealth. The rest it seems to me like got personal vendetta or riding on the back of current wave of just opposing anything that has relationship to PAP hopefully can land a highly paid job. To me TT has the sincerity and capability to do a decent job and represent Singapore in front of other dignitaries of the world. So now all knows who I am voting for .... cheers

titu

Titu...read this before you choose. Being an ex-president of OCBC doesn't mean that he is qualified for being the guardian over the reserves.

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08/19/tony-tan-lost-nearly-s60-billion-dollars-as-deputy-chairman-of-gic-in-2008/

Nic, being being deputy Chairman does not mean he was the cause of it. The portfolios are taken up by his dealers and in investments of any kind, when market take a turn for the worst, and this turmoil was world wide, losses are sure to occur. How can one take issue with him just because he was the D-Chairman? Do you understand how big their portfolios were? Nobody outside the circle knows. But that type of losses with their kind of portfolio is normal. Anyway, you should be pointing the fingers at Ho Ching rather than him right? My choice is still TT for President. Any rational voter and not those who follows the crowd knows who is most qualified. I am not a person who opposed for the sake of opposing. The time to oppose have already passed with the GE. The President has got no say about certain things. He will be ruled by the Constitutions of what he can or cannot do and what those other 3 wannabe Presidents have been promising a lot of things which will turned out to be empty promises because its not in their constitution.
In fact, he is the most qualified man available among the 4 of them.
Back to top Go down
JGoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 363
Join date : 2011-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:04 am

mizzy wrote:
i guess the richer you are the wiser you are.. people with money seem to talk louder..

Talking louder is wiser?? lol!
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:11 am

gomjgo wrote:
Tituman wrote:
gomjgo wrote:
Tituman wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
I wonder - given that the President is not supposed to have any political power, why do we care who gets elected? If anything, we should elect someone who is good looking, speaks well and gives a great impression of Singapore since he's the face of the nation.

Wise man speaketh wise words. Thumbs up to you TS. Out of the 4, only TT is best suited for the job. He knows how to handle dignitaries from other countries, don't need the extra pay from being a President, being an ex President of OCBC speaks volume as regards to personal wealth. The rest it seems to me like got personal vendetta or riding on the back of current wave of just opposing anything that has relationship to PAP hopefully can land a highly paid job. To me TT has the sincerity and capability to do a decent job and represent Singapore in front of other dignitaries of the world. So now all knows who I am voting for .... cheers

titu

I thought TKL & TJS both promised to donate bulk of the $4 Million President's salary to charity if elected? Being a President of a commercial bank is different in prestige as compared to being a elected President of a nation.


He is also if I am not wrong a nephew of the late Tan Chin Tuan. Their family tree has gold trees which bears gold ingots as fruits. So what the heck is money to them???? scratch

Good question, I'm also wondering why so many billionaires who have a gold mine at their closet still chasing after $$$... Question Question

Ask yourself the same question. But actually, pplease tell me how come you know his intention ah?? Teach me leh so that I can read other people's mind. Thank you
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:21 am

Oh NIc, for your info, the author of the article is a well known anti-PAP guy. He has run in with the Govt in the past several times regarding his blog. As for taking positions in any portfolion, its team decision after doing due diligence. As D Chairman, he is appointed to explain when things go wrong. It does not mean he was the one who makes the decision to go invest in them.
Back to top Go down
gomjgo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 107
Join date : 2010-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:38 pm

Tituman wrote:
gomjgo wrote:
Tituman wrote:
gomjgo wrote:
Tituman wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
I wonder - given that the President is not supposed to have any political power, why do we care who gets elected? If anything, we should elect someone who is good looking, speaks well and gives a great impression of Singapore since he's the face of the nation.

Wise man speaketh wise words. Thumbs up to you TS. Out of the 4, only TT is best suited for the job. He knows how to handle dignitaries from other countries, don't need the extra pay from being a President, being an ex President of OCBC speaks volume as regards to personal wealth. The rest it seems to me like got personal vendetta or riding on the back of current wave of just opposing anything that has relationship to PAP hopefully can land a highly paid job. To me TT has the sincerity and capability to do a decent job and represent Singapore in front of other dignitaries of the world. So now all knows who I am voting for .... cheers

titu

I thought TKL & TJS both promised to donate bulk of the $4 Million President's salary to charity if elected? Being a President of a commercial bank is different in prestige as compared to being a elected President of a nation.


He is also if I am not wrong a nephew of the late Tan Chin Tuan. Their family tree has gold trees which bears gold ingots as fruits. So what the heck is money to them???? scratch

Good question, I'm also wondering why so many billionaires who have a gold mine at their closet still chasing after $$$... Question Question

Ask yourself the same question. But actually, pplease tell me how come you know his intention ah?? Teach me leh so that I can read other people's mind. Thank you

I also don't know why?? Maybe you know the intention better than me.

If $4 million is not his intention, why he doesn't bother to promise to donate his salary for charity? It's definitely not vote buying since he already has gold trees at home.





Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 47
Location : Wild Wild West

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:45 pm

i only got 1 thing against TT.... he used to be ex PAP n ex DPM

banks dun endorse husband n wife team in the same department... for obvious reasons

if he could address this issue n convince me, my vote will be TT

Back to top Go down
gomjgo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 107
Join date : 2010-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:49 pm

slinger wrote:
i only got 1 thing against TT.... he used to be ex PAP n ex DPM

banks dun endorse husband n wife team in the same department... for obvious reasons

if he could address this issue n convince me, my vote will be TT



cheers
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 3295
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 42
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:52 pm

slinger wrote:
i only got 1 thing against TT.... he used to be ex PAP n ex DPM

banks dun endorse husband n wife team in the same department... for obvious reasons

if he could address this issue n convince me, my vote will be TT




I agree totally. He has got everything, except for this factor. TS yesterday pointed out that a president will have no political powess. That is true. But for a country who have an emirutus minister and a minister mentor for reason only the govt knows, its may not necessarily be that clear-cut for the president.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:17 pm

The wisest of people don't say a thing. Their conduct says it all.

You can tell this from our post counts Sad

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2978
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 42
Location : Sinkapoh

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:36 pm

Anyone saw the speech in TV yesterday. I have to say that I like TCB's speech. I like the fact that he stood for his integrity and what he does. He also made it clear as a point on the office of president and PM, why it has to be move out of Istana, which represents a clear separation of power of PM and President. I didnt know that PM's office is in Istana...

TT may have his experience as DPM but his strong connection as a PAP role may also be his weakness. TCB is similar but his integrity and principle may shows that he is strong and not bowed easily to Government pressure.

A lot of people tell me, the role of President is beyond politics but its hard not to connect to it when we are just pass the GE in May... memories still linger....

Back to top Go down
stickman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 182
Join date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:52 pm

Khorkar wrote:
Anyone saw the speech in TV yesterday. I have to say that I like TCB's speech. I like the fact that he stood for his integrity and what he does. He also made it clear as a point on the office of president and PM, why it has to be move out of Istana, which represents a clear separation of power of PM and President. I didnt know that PM's office is in Istana...

TT may have his experience as DPM but his strong connection as a PAP role may also be his weakness. TCB is similar but his integrity and principle may shows that he is strong and not bowed easily to Government pressure.

A lot of people tell me, the role of President is beyond politics but its hard not to connect to it when we are just pass the GE in May... memories still linger....


I just saw the summary news just now...News is taking up this issue tonight at 9.30pm...:Let's see what report will come up tongiht.

Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:37 pm

gomjgo wrote:
Tituman wrote:
gomjgo wrote:
Tituman wrote:
gomjgo wrote:
Tituman wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
I wonder - given that the President is not supposed to have any political power, why do we care who gets elected? If anything, we should elect someone who is good looking, speaks well and gives a great impression of Singapore since he's the face of the nation.

Wise man speaketh wise words. Thumbs up to you TS. Out of the 4, only TT is best suited for the job. He knows how to handle dignitaries from other countries, don't need the extra pay from being a President, being an ex President of OCBC speaks volume as regards to personal wealth. The rest it seems to me like got personal vendetta or riding on the back of current wave of just opposing anything that has relationship to PAP hopefully can land a highly paid job. To me TT has the sincerity and capability to do a decent job and represent Singapore in front of other dignitaries of the world. So now all knows who I am voting for .... cheers

titu

I thought TKL & TJS both promised to donate bulk of the $4 Million President's salary to charity if elected? Being a President of a commercial bank is different in prestige as compared to being a elected President of a nation.


He is also if I am not wrong a nephew of the late Tan Chin Tuan. Their family tree has gold trees which bears gold ingots as fruits. So what the heck is money to them???? scratch

Good question, I'm also wondering why so many billionaires who have a gold mine at their closet still chasing after $$$... Question Question

Ask yourself the same question. But actually, pplease tell me how come you know his intention ah?? Teach me leh so that I can read other people's mind. Thank you

I also don't know why?? Maybe you know the intention better than me.

If $4 million is not his intention, why he doesn't bother to promise to donate his salary for charity? It's definitely not vote buying since he already has gold trees at home.

People who pledged to donate part of their salary are showing their cards that they are so desperate to get into that position and will promised any thing. Have you heard of this old chinese saying " Boh hur hair ya hoe"meaning no fish prawns also can la. Have you heard market talk that TJS as a Fund Manager was not so successful? Meaning?? Lose money lor.





Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:47 pm

Well I can only surmised that if one voted for someone who promises what he and his previous party was promising during the GE, then these people will be truly disappointed when the time comes and realised that what a true politician he was. We are now voting for the best man here and not voting for someone who can help change the political scene in Singapore. Those agenda have passed with the end of the GE. Even if TCB is elected, I am sure he can't deliver what he promised to us now. TT don't promised all these because he knows the constitutions too well. No point promising something which he knows can't be delivered.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2978
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 42
Location : Sinkapoh

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:32 pm

TT promised a solution for economic crisis, which he doesnt provide details on and Yes, he may have the reach for his network. But think about it, would you want someone that can only network or someone that protect the interest of Singaporean.

Please do read TCB's flyers, you will endeavor to understand and appreciate what he stands for, which is Singaporean 1st. The other is that he has courage and integrity on what he stands for and bi-partisan approach towards Singaporean's interest.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4638
Join date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Obama was elected as the US President
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Today at 10:18 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day
» RIP Tony Kempster
» Bright future for Tony Fairweather's new runner
» Happy Birthday Tony
» tony stewart drives a vw

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The 19th Hole :: Lounge-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.