Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
motokah
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:43 pm

IMO, EP's main job is do good PR with both locals & foreigners in Singapore.
He is the face & voice that represent Singapore when he meet foreign leaders.
So EP got to have both substance to command respect as well as a well a liked smiley face.

He is to be "above" normal politics.
Sort of like Yang di-Pertuan Agong (Malaysia King) and the Queen of UK.

Summary: Mainly ceremonial job with Veto power when shit happens.
Back to top Go down
gomjgo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:23 pm

Khorkar wrote:
TT promised a solution for economic crisis, which he doesnt provide details on and Yes, he may have the reach for his network. But think about it, would you want someone that can only network or someone that protect the interest of Singaporean.

Please do read TCB's flyers, you will endeavor to understand and appreciate what he stands for, which is Singaporean 1st. The other is that he has courage and integrity on what he stands for and bi-partisan approach towards Singaporean's interest.

Of the 2 former men in white, at least TCB is much better than TT, at least he has the gut to stand in what he believed was right.

He stood up against the crowd by voting against the Noiminated MP as he believed they were not voted by the people. He resigned recently from a Hospital when he realised that the hospital was to be named after a prominent businessman just because the family donated one-tenth of the development cost where as the rest was funded by the general republic. Most importantly, his theme of the EP is "Think Singaporean First". If latter reason is not crucial for an elected president, I don't what is.

KK has rightly out TT so-called promised solution for economic crisis has no concrete substance and details formula on how is he going to carry out his rescue plan. His solution may just be to ask Singaporeans to tighten their belt and bite the bullet again or simply take some bitter medicine for the good of long term prospect. Singaporeans always listen and follow suit for the good of the nation. But the biggest problem is, when the economic time is good, Singaporeans are not always the first one to enjoy the fruits of success. This is the agony and frustration of being a Singaporean.

Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:09 pm

motokah wrote:
IMO, EP's main job is do good PR with both locals & foreigners in Singapore.
So EP got to have both substance to command respect as well as a well a liked smiley face.

Summary: Mainly ceremonial job with Veto power when shit happens.

Give the man a cigar... Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:21 pm

Khorkar wrote:
TT promised a solution for economic crisis, which he doesnt provide details on and Yes, he may have the reach for his network. But think about it, would you want someone that can only network or someone that protect the interest of Singaporean.

Please do read TCB's flyers, you will endeavor to understand and appreciate what he stands for, which is Singaporean 1st. The other is that he has courage and integrity on what he stands for and bi-partisan approach towards Singaporean's interest.

KK we are voting for President now. Of course I also want somebody who is able to help the Singaporean interest but that lies in the hands of the PAP and not the EP. The GE is already over so why everybody tried to hope that the EP can help ? scratch Please read Motokah's post. He hit it right on the door nail and that is what I have been trying to put across. My England too lousy to express what Motokah said in one posting.

" IMO, EP's main job is do good PR with both locals & foreigners in Singapore.

Summary: Mainly ceremonial job with Veto power when shit happens "

So now is voting for someone who is good in " PR with both locals & foreigners in Singapore.
So EP got to have both substance to command respect as well as a well a liked smiley face."
So far I can only see one person in that group of 4 who qualiffied of which 3 are trying to sell themselves with what they are going to do if they are elected. With some even offering to donate part of their salary to do good. To me that sounds like money politics. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:52 pm

Titu, protecting interest of Singapore can be variety ways and you are right to say that we are not asking EP to run the government. If I am not wrong, by safeguarding the interest of Singapore reserves or even just as simple as influencing the government. The job can be ceremonial but its not short of influencing power to government.

I see 2 potential candidates, TT may be prime candidate but he is not the only white knight. I am mindful that TCB is not any short of credentials either.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:29 pm

Khorkar wrote:
Titu, protecting interest of Singapore can be variety ways and you are right to say that we are not asking EP to run the government. If I am not wrong, by safeguarding the interest of Singapore reserves or even just as simple as influencing the government. The job can be ceremonial but its not short of influencing power to government.

I see 2 potential candidates, TT may be prime candidate but he is not the only white knight. I am mindful that TCB is not any short of credentials either.

I agree with you KK. Just hate to see some of the masses are just riding the herd instinct of opposing for the sake of opposing.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:43 pm

KK Have you just heard what TCB said in the 9 pm documentary on the Presidential candidates? He mentioned that some candidates are making promises like during the GE if they are voted in. He pitied those people who believed and voted for them and if that candidate does win the EP seat, he said these voters will be disappointed because that guy will definitely cannot deliver what he promised. Now somebody speaking sense after all.
Back to top Go down
stagedbrute
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:07 am

Polling cards have arrived by post in the mailbox, and boy, was i surprised not to have seen my name next to my parents. I turned 21 in June, so why wasn't i an eligible voter? I then proceeded to the Elections Dept website and was informed that, as i had not turned 21 on 01/01/2011, i was not eligible to vote.

This really enraged me, considering the fact that i had already served my National Service stint. How could I be old enough carry a rifle and "defend Singapore with my life", yet still be too young to cast my vote? Real irony there..

After my frustration had somewhat simmered down, I pondered long and hard as to the possible factors regarding my ineligibility. Unfortunately, I could only come up with one. Could it have been too much effort to add in the names of eligible voters who have attained the age of 21 by Polling Day? No, it couldn't have been, I mused. After all, in the States, "nineteen states permit 17-year-olds to vote in primary elections and caucuses if they turn 18 by election day". With each state having a voter base of overwhelming numbers when compared to Singapore, this theory held no water. Besides, with an event of this magnitude (our first Presidential Election in 12 years), all the stops should have been pulled to ensure maximum voter representation. Thus, I was left with a massive question mark hanging over me.

I already missed my chance during the GE as my birthday came 1 month after May, and i was really relishing the prospect of exercising my right as a citizen to vote in an incumbent President. My hopes have now been dashed and i am forced to wait another 5 long years.

No idea what their motives are for doing so but, way to go, Election Dept, kudos to you for depriving my age group of their right to vote, even after their contributions to their country during these past 2 years.

Last edited by stagedbrute on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
stagedbrute
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:16 am

I apologize for the rant, just wanted to display my disappointment with the unfair treatment by the Election Dept. I plan to call in tomorrow and read out my post to them.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:17 am

nice essay SB.

whatever is convenient to them. you know how lazy some departments get and the ED is part time bunch of people.

it all boils down to the government no caring about citizens rights. go to the stat boards and its bloody obvious.

this country is not founded on citizen rights. you want something done, you have to make noise.
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:20 am

stagedbrute wrote:
I apologize for the rant, just wanted to display my disappointment with the unfair treatment by the Election Dept. I plan to call in tomorrow and read out my post to them.

chill... it is for ease of finalising the voters.

you have the rest of your life to vote.. not to worry..

will be my first time for PE in all my 32 years... all thanks to my TP GRC.. Smile
Back to top Go down
stagedbrute
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:26 am

mizzy wrote:
nice essay SB.

whatever is convenient to them. you know how lazy some departments get and the ED is part time bunch of people.

it all boils down to the government no caring about citizens rights. go to the stat boards and its bloody obvious.

this country is not founded on citizen rights. you want something done, you have to make noise.

Thanks for the supportive message bro, much appreciated. And yes, i do intend to make some noise tomorrow Smile
Back to top Go down
stagedbrute
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:37 am

nrafee wrote:
stagedbrute wrote:

chill... it is for ease of finalising the voters.

you have the rest of your life to vote.. not to worry..

will be my first time for PE in all my 32 years... all thanks to my TP GRC.. Smile

Bro, i respectfully disagree, having a database of all citizens at their fingertips ensures that they are well informed with regards to age eligibility. They could have updated the list of eligible voters well in advance.

As mentioned, "in the States nineteen states permit 17-year-olds to vote in primary elections and caucuses if they will be 18 by election day" Singapore, being the epitome of efficiency, should not fall behind in this aspect. Honestly, what would have been the increase of new voters from 01/01/2011 till the polls?

Anyway, shall not harp on this matter further, and thanks for your comment Smile

P.S

32 years?? Wow!
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:42 am

Well lets see if any candidate got voted in by just 1 vote and then yours might make the difference. If not......
Back to top Go down
stagedbrute
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:42 am

Tituman wrote:
Well lets see if any candidate got voted in by just 1 vote and then yours might make the difference. If not......

You must surely be referring to over 20 000 votes? Everyone in my age group has been deprived of a vote.

It's a widely contested election this year, it would certainly be rather amusing if that indeed happens
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day   Today at 12:19 am

Back to top Go down

Mr Tony Tan gets booed on Nomination Day
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4