Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:27 am

pushslice wrote:
Kj choi and larry nelson took the same route. Armed with nicklaus book and hogan's book and just tens of thousands hours of honing their skills. Never went to golf coach. Caann! Very Happy

Ah, that might explain KJ Choi's over-to-top pivot.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:36 am

reading your post just gave me a brain freeze bro drunken Laughing
Back to top Go down
mtbdude74
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:02 pm

Lee's post inspired me to finally go out and game my miura blades yesterday. Unfortunately I have to report that I did NOT shave off 10 strokes and score in the 70s. Maybe it is my lousy vokeys, so might give in and splurge in some miura wedges as well....
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:05 pm

mtbdude74 wrote:
Lee's post inspired me to finally go out and game my miura blades yesterday. Unfortunately I have to report that I did NOT shave off 10 strokes and score in the 70s. Maybe it is my lousy vokeys, so might give in and splurge in some miura wedges as well....

Hey Dude, you bought the Miuras, which model? We should have a game soon. Miura vs Miuras. How?

Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:07 pm

mloy wrote:
mtbdude74 wrote:

Hey Dude, you bought the Miuras, which model? We should have a game soon. Miura vs Miuras. How?

You still playing RCC next week? We play even.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:12 pm

Quote :
How long does it take to build a short game and putting from almost zero?

I put in 6 sessions , 4-5 hours each, at the chipping green, and 2 sessions, 3 hours each, at the range with the blades, hitting mainly the PW and 6 iron.

I will not dispute the feel, but maybe this is the real reason u shaved 10 strokes? Congrats! And if all the mura's do for you is to inspire you to spend time to practise, then that is fantastic as well.

Now, i got to save for a set of miura too.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:13 pm

i think before we wana "improve" our game with any sort of assist... be it clubs, belts, lucky charm, new equipments,
we got to ask ourselves, hoe much time do we intend to put into practise? how in the process are we gona correct our "mistakes", then we can know wat to expect.....hehehhee

nothin comes free....esp golf.....
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:13 pm

mtbdude74 wrote:
mloy wrote:
mtbdude74 wrote:

Unfortunately I had to pull out as took too much leave for golf this month already. I have informed DWK. Next month then?

One more thing....level? Level my head!! Mad 3-3 at least and adjustable back nine lah.

Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:16 pm

mloy wrote:
mtbdude74 wrote:
mloy wrote:
mtbdude74 wrote:

Unfortunately I had to pull out as took too much leave for golf this month already. I have informed DWK. Next month then?

One more thing....level? Level my head!! Mad 3-3 at least and adjustable back nine lah.

doc, dun let mloy bully u......

she like to bully young, cute, handsome dude.....

just ask the chipmunk....
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:19 pm

slinger wrote:
mloy wrote:
mtbdude74 wrote:
mloy wrote:
mtbdude74 wrote:

doc, dun let mloy bully u......

she like to bully young, cute, handsome dude.....

just ask the chipmunk....

ROFL Kaypoh you!!!!! Where I got bully chipmunk??? I am always nice to him. Face Hug

Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:30 pm

chipmunk show me his bruises, scratches, pinch marks....

but u must be good, cos he wants MORE
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 pm

mtbdude74 wrote:

Cool. Which model blades do you have?
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:48 pm

haragolfer wrote:
Quote :
How long does it take to build a short game and putting from almost zero?

I put in 6 sessions , 4-5 hours each, at the chipping green, and 2 sessions, 3 hours each, at the range with the blades, hitting mainly the PW and 6 iron.

I will not dispute the feel, but maybe this is the real reason u shaved 10 strokes? Congrats! And if all the mura's do for you is to inspire you to spend time to practise, then that is fantastic as well.

Now, i got to save for a set of miura too.

Thank you. Most people wonder why I rave about the baby blades. Until they get a chance to hit them. Then they want to put it in their bags on the spot. Or ask me to put them in my will.

Well, like I wrote earlier, I have done a similar session on the green with the Vokeys before, and I played with MP52 irons.

Score improved, 92, in a familiar course. And came back down. Not even CLOSE.

I would say, beg borrow steal, get yourself a set and experience, nay, ENJOY them for yourself.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:14 pm

bro lee36328, no offense, but me think the 10 reasons for your vast improvement are:

1) practice
2) practice
3) practice
4) practice
5) practice
6) practice
7) practice
8) practice
9) practice
10) practice

when I used to play 3 times a week, I can easily score mid 80s with my chupalang brand clubs; now that I'm back to my weekend warrior mode, I can barely smell 90. so it's not really what clubs you use but how you use them ...
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:23 pm

Quote :
zhenxua wrote:
bro lee36328, no offense, but me think the 10 reasons for your vast improvement are:

1) practice
2) practice
3) practice
4) practice
5) practice
6) practice
7) practice
8) practice
9) practice
10) practice

when I used to play 3 times a week, I can easily score mid 80s with my chupalang brand clubs; now that I'm back to my weekend warrior mode, I can barely smell 90. so it's not really what clubs you use but how you use them ...

I should seriously check my schedule to align with yours.....................soon
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:41 pm

zhenxua wrote:

1) practice
2) practice
3) practice
4) practice
5) practice
6) practice
7) practice
8) practice
9) practice
10) practice

No offence taken bro, and thank you for your comment.

What I'm saying is that, I've done this schedule of practice with two different sets of equipment.

MP52 and Vokey cast + TONS of practice at the green = best of 92, average mid 90s,

Miura LE baby blades + blade aha moment + Miura forged wedges + forged wedge aha moment + TONS of practice at the green + playing two rounds with these clubs for the first time ever = two lowest rounds ever in my life, mid 80s.

I think it's too much to be a coincidence, don't you?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:00 pm

Sorry bro, I still dont think so Laughing I'm so curious with your equation. I think the betas of the miuras exists but small and the beta of TONS of practice are large. Keeping all else (driver, putter, ball, hybrids) etc in constant

Y (score 80s) = beta (Miura Irons) + beta(Miura wedge) + beta (Practice) + beta (stars in alignment) + beta (Putting form) + Constant

Follow up questions:

when you practiced with the Vokeys before

1. Were you also in between jobs and have nothing else to do but train?
2. Did you practice the vokeys on the green, with the same concentrated hours as well? or was it once a week type. You mentioned only went to the range with vokeys
3. Did you take the same number of putts between the 90s rounds and 80s round?
4. Did you have a lot more one putts in the 80s round?

Finally

1. Can you play few more rounds with the miuras to check for honeymoon effect?
2. When you play those rounds, pls count the number of putts and take record of your GIR
3. After that, please play with the vokeys for a few times to see if your scores dropped.

and please dont try to influence your play with vokey lor, must be the same focus hahahaha

What a Face

Back to top Go down
beerbutt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:28 pm

i played rounds of
85, 80, 82, 86 with my old old old honmas,

then i thought my golf has improved from mid 90's then i went to buy AP2s and then i played 98, 110, 102, 99; till now still mid 90's. can you say square one!

clubs do make a difference, unfortunately, mine went the wrong way.

worth adding that i had to change my swing slightly because the ap2s felt much heavier and thus lost a ton of confidence

whats the most interesting thing about this thread is not the information or the improvement. it is that lee is probably the most eloquent malaysian ever, no offense bro!
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:28 pm

Lee36328 wrote:
zhenxua wrote:

1) practice
2) practice
3) practice
4) practice
5) practice
6) practice
7) practice
8) practice
9) practice
10) practice

No offence taken bro, and thank you for your comment.

What I'm saying is that, I've done this schedule of practice with two different sets of equipment.

MP52 and Vokey cast + TONS of practice at the green = best of 92, average mid 90s,

Miura LE baby blades + blade aha moment + Miura forged wedges + forged wedge aha moment + TONS of practice at the green + playing two rounds with these clubs for the first time ever = two lowest rounds ever in my life, mid 80s.

I think it's too much to be a coincidence, don't you?

it could be that coincidental; i shot my best rounds on the wrong occasions and was subsequently labeled as a buaya, so ...
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:31 pm

pushslice wrote:
Sorry bro, I still dont think so Laughing I'm so curious with your equation. I think the betas of the miuras exists but small and the beta of TONS of practice are large. Keeping all else (driver, putter, ball, hybrids) etc in constant

Y (score 80s) = beta (Miura Irons) + beta(Miura wedge) + beta (Practice) + beta (stars in alignment) + beta (Putting form) + Constant

Follow up questions:

2. Did you practice the vokeys on the green, with the same concentrated hours as well? or was it once a week type. You mentioned only went to the range with vokeys

Finally

2. When you play those rounds, pls count the number of putts and take record of your GIR
3. After that, please play with the vokeys for a few times to see if your scores dropped.

and please dont try to influence your play with vokey lor, must be the same focus hahahaha

What a Face

Answers embedded below.

I am not 'in-between jobs', makes me sound like unemployed. I made some money from a couple of projects and decided to take a mini retirement, pick up golf, ala The 4-hour Work Week by Tim Ferris. But, yes the conditions were the same.

For both sets of wedges, I stated, "TONS of practice at the green", so again, the conditions were the same.

No, I took less putts, and this is where the comparison ends. The Miura blades sent almost every shot seeking the pin. The MP52s, not so. So of course I will be taking less putts.

See point 3.

Finally

Yes, I certainly will of course, and will report back here.

Eh? Bear in mind the Miura blades vs the Mizuno MP52s is definitely a factor as well. So, if the Miura blades gets more GIR, reducing the need for the wedges, the comparison is affected already.

I say man, the Miura's taught me how to chip already, by their superior feel, so now, I can also chip with Vokeys, although possibly with less accuracy, less touch. So, can't compare anymore. But still, interesting exercise nonetheless. If the occasion presents itself, I will try.

I am always trying to go for the hole regardless. However, I already love the Miura wedges more than the Vokeys, so at the subconscious level, the bias is already there and cannot be removed consciously.

But interesting to consider such an experiment nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:35 pm

beerbutt wrote:
i played rounds of
85, 80, 82, 86 with my old old old honmas,

then i thought my golf has improved from mid 90's then i went to buy AP2s and then i played 98, 110, 102, 99; till now still mid 90's. can you say square one!

clubs do make a difference, unfortunately, mine went the wrong way.

worth adding that i had to change my swing slightly because the ap2s felt much heavier and thus lost a ton of confidence

whats the most interesting thing about this thread is not the information or the improvement. it is that lee is probably the most eloquent malaysian ever, no offense bro!

Very kind of you to say so sir.

Changing your swing because you changed clubs.... hmmm.

Which one is more forgiving? If you changed to a less forgiving club and had to change your swing to get more consistent result, then I would say stick with it, the drop is temporary, and you come out of it better off.

On the other hand, if heavier meant that the swing weight now no longer suits you, perhaps it would be a good idea to have the swingweight adjusted to suit. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:37 pm

zhenxua wrote:

it could be that coincidental; i shot my best rounds on the wrong occasions and was subsequently labeled as a buaya, so ...

I noted wrong occasions, PLURAL.

So, buaya means buaya la bro. Admit it... Razz
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:49 pm

Lee36328 wrote:
zhenxua wrote:

I noted wrong occasions, PLURAL.

So, buaya means buaya la bro. Admit it... Razz

Good observation, Lee!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god   Today at 4:20 am

Back to top Go down

Shaved 10 strokes from my average score - thank you (hand of) god
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3