Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1997
Join date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:13 pm

TourSwing wrote:
dmateo wrote:
so does that means weight lifting is counter productive in golf? or is that depends on which muscle being trained ?

Weight lifting in the absence of a qualified trainer or without sufficient knowledge on the subject "can" be counter productive.

However, weight lifting done "properly" can make a massive positive difference to your game ... we look up to pga pros for their swing, and equipment etc ... so we must also take note that pros put in a LOT of time in the gym! Tiger Woods may have been one of the first to bring it to our attention ... but I recently read an article on Gary Player in which he outlined his workout routine. This guy is still very fit. Luke Donald and Lee Westwood go through intense workout schedules during the course of the year ... in fact, lee westwood recently stated in a press conference he deadlifted 160kg!!! Golfers are athletes ... and by working on becoming more athletic, you can improve your chances of becoming a better player! look at Gary Woodland .. hes an animal!!

Golf also allows someone who is not athletic to play a decent game! We all look fwd to the fact we will enjoy this beautiful game in our 50s, 60s, and even 70s and onwards!!! Not many other sports allow that.

I have no doubt in my mind ... "fitness" allows us to play a better game today, and will allow us to sustain that level (or close to it) for a much longer time period!

Golf Fitness is a bi-monthly publication worth checking out ... regardless, the internet has loads of information on this subject .. and its FREE!


Wow... I REALLY need to hit the gym.

Thanks for the highly useful info and POSITIVE Motivating message, Tourswing.

But wait... Razz

Lee Westwood deadlifts 160 kg, right? That's 352 lbs. At a bodyweight of 89 kg, 196 lbs. So, that's approx 1.8 times his bodyweight.

What if I told you someone can deadlift almost 2.5 times her bodyweight (yes, it's a girl)? 142.95 kg at bodyweight of 58.2 kg. Check out Melissa Klundby. Shocked Shocked Shocked



Amazing what the human body can do with specific training. Time to renew my gym membership!
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5599
Join date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:50 pm

I really like to have a game with u lee. Maybe can arrange a convoy up kl. So where u normally play in Malaysia?
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2702
Join date : 2009-12-11
Location : golf club graveyard

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:11 pm

Lee,

"So with sufficient practice in the correct technique, fast/slow twitch should not be an issue, right?"

So your main beef is the above point?

you have to look at the swing holistically. slow swingers need to speed up their "core rotation". all else being equal, technique wise, they should then increase their drive.
If you don't have the core rotation, where is the technique?

put it this way. get into a sprint position. how fast can you get up to a sprint?
its not how fast you can run at full stride. its about how fast you are out of the blocks. that is what I call fast twitch.

weight lifters can do a snap lift with fast powerful twitch muscles. and that is instantaneous power. and it saps lots of energy. and they cannot do it for many times in a row sustained.

back to LD. do you think they can pound ball after ball 100 times at those distances? it takes a lot from their bodies.

respectfully, i think you still don't understand the concept of fast twitch muscle fibres.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 5118
Join date : 2009-06-18
Location : Home sweat home...

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Eh Mizzy

I'm in need of a good burger.

Where is the place ur avatar is showing ah?

_________________
Stay Thirsty My Friends...
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 972
Join date : 2011-03-12
Age : 42
Location : Johor Bahru

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:38 pm

S70B wrote:
Eh Mizzy

I'm in need of a good burger.

Where is the place ur avatar is showing ah?

+1 !!!!
I am a burger lover and was salivating profusely when I saw mizzy's avatar. Yes pray tell! Where can I get a taste of this juicy burger? If in SG, I may just make a trip in specially for it.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2702
Join date : 2009-12-11
Location : golf club graveyard

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:59 pm

haha.. sorry guys, its not in singapore.. I got it from somebody's blog in the USA like 2 years ago and saved the picture.

but I'll be trying to build a burger like that soon... i'll get my food tasters here to write a review.. hehe
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 10361
Join date : 2009-12-19
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:47 pm

GF, Golf Digest Sept has an interesting article on hitting long and getting stronger.
You may wish to check it out.

All else being equal, you can follow my example and be a driver/shaft slut and experiment to get the best setup in terms of driving distance. I got a lethal combo recently that gives me 10-20 m more.

As for acquiring fast twitch muscles to up the distant, it is a way but sad to say, at our age, (ahem!), you are more than likely to tear a couple of muscles fibers than building fast twitch muscles.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1997
Join date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:15 pm

duffader wrote:
I really like to have a game with u lee. Maybe can arrange a convoy up kl. So where u normally play in Malaysia?

By all means, if you guys decide to come up and play in KL, do let me know. It will be my pleasure.

I normally play in Glenmarie. I have a game w friends in Kota Permai on occasions as well.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1997
Join date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:20 pm

mizzy wrote:
Lee,

"So with sufficient practice in the correct technique, fast/slow twitch should not be an issue, right?"

So your main beef is the above point?

you have to look at the swing holistically. slow swingers need to speed up their "core rotation". all else being equal, technique wise, they should then increase their drive.
If you don't have the core rotation, where is the technique?

put it this way. get into a sprint position. how fast can you get up to a sprint?
its not how fast you can run at full stride. its about how fast you are out of the blocks. that is what I call fast twitch.

weight lifters can do a snap lift with fast powerful twitch muscles. and that is instantaneous power. and it saps lots of energy. and they cannot do it for many times in a row sustained.

back to LD. do you think they can pound ball after ball 100 times at those distances? it takes a lot from their bodies.

respectfully, i think you still don't understand the concept of fast twitch muscle fibres.

Ok, show hands time. Cool Cool

Are you saying, like your opening "some will always be sprinters, others long distance runners" premise, some people will NEVER be able to drive 100mph because of lack of fast twitch muscle fiber? And do you include yourself in that group?

If not, what is stopping you? Wink

I am saying, fast/slow twitch regardless, gym or no gym, with the right technique (there's that word again, should be a strong enough hint there) anyone can do it.


Last edited by Lee36328 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1997
Join date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:29 pm

asahi wrote:
GF, Golf Digest Sept has an interesting article on hitting long and getting stronger.
You may wish to check it out.

All else being equal, you can follow my example and be a driver/shaft slut and experiment to get the best setup in terms of driving distance. I got a lethal combo recently that gives me 10-20 m more.

As for acquiring fast twitch muscles to up the distant, it is a way but sad to say, at our age, (ahem!), you are more than likely to tear a couple of muscles fibers than building fast twitch muscles.

A lethal combo that gives 10-20m more! Wow, that's is indeed lethal.

Talking about shaft ho'ing, in trying to acquire more trackman data for GF's quest, I discovered I have recently outgrown not just my Kai'li stiff but also my 'ahina as well. I smacked everything on the screws, and still it was kicking up a bit too high.

So, tipping both of them, going down to the range tomorrow to see what that gets me.
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional


Posts : 620
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 28
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:21 pm

I see this topic has grown very much since I last read this. I see you guys have been discussing about the 'physical' aspect of golf. Just a little something I wrote in one of my golf programs

A golfer can use weight training to increase strength, flexibility and muscular endurance. It helps develop balance for those with weak leg muscles and allows the pupil to assume advantageous biomechanical positions. As we know, golf is a sport we need to get fit for and not one we do to get fit.

Strength in golf is of little use without flexibility. Golf is a rotary activity, so exercises emphasizing the rotary movements of the trunk are extremely important. Tightness in the hip flexors could also inhibit the range of motion one could have on the backswing and also through impact.

Golf specific exercises are those which simulate the golf swing, create resistance for those muscles which are used in the golf swing, then through repetitions and an increase in weight, the muscles are made stronger.

Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1004
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Dubai

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:31 am

+1 to "As we know, golf is a sport we need to get fit for and not one we do to get fit."

Very nicely phrased!

Sidenote: I do know a couple of aged ppl who are fighting ostoperosis by regularly playing 9 holes of golf!!!
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1004
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Dubai

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:35 am

asahi wrote:
got a lethal combo recently that gives me 10-20 m more.

Details plzzzzz Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1004
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Dubai

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:49 am

Lee36328 wrote:


Wow... I REALLY need to hit the gym.

Thanks for the highly useful info and POSITIVE Motivating message, Tourswing.

But wait... Razz

Lee Westwood deadlifts 160 kg, right? That's 352 lbs. At a bodyweight of 89 kg, 196 lbs. So, that's approx 1.8 times his bodyweight.

What if I told you someone can deadlift almost 2.5 times her bodyweight (yes, it's a girl)? 142.95 kg at bodyweight of 58.2 kg. Check out Melissa Klundby. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Amazing what the human body can do with specific training. Time to renew my gym membership!

Ha ha .. Good one .. Dont hit the gym too hard, cause it can hit back much harder ... Similar to what asahi says ... In the immediate future u can only do more harm than good ... The gym requires a lot of knowledge and dedication, but mostly a lot of patience!!!

Im gonna start with deadlifting a pack of Tiger beers Beer
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1997
Join date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:42 am

jhan18 wrote:
I see this topic has grown very much since I last read this. I see you guys have been discussing about the 'physical' aspect of golf. Just a little something I wrote in one of my golf programs

A golfer can use weight training to increase strength, flexibility and muscular endurance. It helps develop balance for those with weak leg muscles and allows the pupil to assume advantageous biomechanical positions. As we know, golf is a sport we need to get fit for and not one we do to get fit.

Strength in golf is of little use without flexibility. Golf is a rotary activity, so exercises emphasizing the rotary movements of the trunk are extremely important. Tightness in the hip flexors could also inhibit the range of motion one could have on the backswing and also through impact.

Golf specific exercises are those which simulate the golf swing, create resistance for those muscles which are used in the golf swing, then through repetitions and an increase in weight, the muscles are made stronger.


Great informative post, and from an actual pro, no less, thanks!

Now I know why, instead of staying in their hotel rooms messing with exercise rubber bands, Lee Westwood is training with deadlifting, and the rest are also hitting the gym. Can't really effectively increase resistance with the 'resistance bands' beyond a certain point - I can fold them up but I run out of rubber before I run out of power.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1997
Join date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:43 am

TourSwing wrote:
asahi wrote:
got a lethal combo recently that gives me 10-20 m more.

Details plzzzzz Very Happy


Hmmm, mmmm! That's got more than one person's curiosity peaked, I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1997
Join date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:14 am

TourSwing wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:


Wow... I REALLY need to hit the gym.

Thanks for the highly useful info and POSITIVE Motivating message, Tourswing.

But wait... Razz

Lee Westwood deadlifts 160 kg, right? That's 352 lbs. At a bodyweight of 89 kg, 196 lbs. So, that's approx 1.8 times his bodyweight.

What if I told you someone can deadlift almost 2.5 times her bodyweight (yes, it's a girl)? 142.95 kg at bodyweight of 58.2 kg. Check out Melissa Klundby. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Amazing what the human body can do with specific training. Time to renew my gym membership!

Ha ha .. Good one .. Dont hit the gym too hard, cause it can hit back much harder ... Similar to what asahi says ... In the immediate future u can only do more harm than good ... The gym requires a lot of knowledge and dedication, but mostly a lot of patience!!!

Im gonna start with deadlifting a pack of Tiger beers Beer

Hi TS, I appreciate your concern, and I am touched. Thanks. But before it gets too brokeback mountain and getting way too in touch with my feelings, need to macho up, do a Home Improvement Tool Time Tim Taylor caveman grunt (arrgggh, arrrrrggghh!!!) and get back on track.

Chest puffed out as I type this, I say in my deep keyboard voice, ahem, it's ok, I know my way around the gym. Been hitting the gym trying to catch the last of my post teen growth spurt for about 4-5 years in my late-teen/early 20s (gawd, that felt so long ago), so I know my way around squats, benchpresses, deadlifts, military presses, roman crunches, lat pulldowns, tricep extensions, lateral shoulder raises, compound exercises, isolation exercises, the mainstream giant sets approach vs Dr Arthur Jones' single rep to failure, and also, supplement stacking (note, all natural of course.)

I just need to choose, from my pectoralis major, minor, serratus anterior to my latissimus dorsi and erector spinae, from my obliques to my gluteus maximus, from my vastus lateralis, medialis to my bicep femoris and gastrocnemius, which set of muscle groups to work on. Man, I haven't thought of those terms in quite a while, but they have the familiar ring of the names of long lost old friends.

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go shave the hair that's just grown out of my back. Argh, arrgghh!
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 3295
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 42
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:35 am

What Justin han said is true. Too much muscle work and neglecting of flexibility is bad for golf. IMHO, what I think is very good for golfers are exercises which focuses on functional training- letting several sets of muscles working together, pilates, yoga, core muscles circuit training, and boot camp training which is quite popular in bishan park and botanical gardens. Boot camp training is are a series of exercises which requires you to lift your own body weight. Think pt training in army. Nowadays people pay to go pt training.

Golfers do not need to bulk like a rugger. A combination of flexibility, stamina, core strengthening, muscle development would do just fine.

Pls feel free to comment. As for me, I am just a gym rat figuring why I am getting fatter :-(
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1997
Join date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:51 am

nientsu wrote:
What Justin han said is true. Too much muscle work and neglecting of flexibility is bad for golf. IMHO, what I think is very good for golfers are exercises which focuses on functional training- letting several sets of muscles working together, pilates, yoga, core muscles circuit training, and boot camp training which is quite popular in bishan park and botanical gardens. Boot camp training is are a series of exercises which requires you to lift your own body weight. Think pt training in army. Nowadays people pay to go pt training.

Golfers do not need to bulk like a rugger. A combination of flexibility, stamina, core strengthening, muscle development would do just fine.

Pls feel free to comment. As for me, I am just a gym rat figuring why I am getting fatter :-(

Hi, fellow gym rat!

Here's what worked for me.

Two words, carbohydrate and sugar.

I beat you like your rice, noodle, bread, or potatoes, and possibly soft drinks (that includes 100PLUS, also sweetened.)

Cut those out for 6 days per week, and you will lose weight. Maintain a compulsory 1 day per week OFF day (or binge day) where you reload on these to avoid going into starvation mode. Just for information of non-dieters, no, that does not mean you're starving to death, but your body thinks it is, so it's holding on to each fat cell for dear life and your weight loss hits a wall.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4638
Join date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:30 pm

mizzy wrote:
zx, you should be the one teaching us how to do it.. is it by knocking both knees? hehe

I started yoga a few months back to maintain my flexibility, now I can drive 210m to 220m consistently
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2789
Join date : 2010-05-10
Age : 31
Location : In YOUR fairway...

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:42 pm

What rubbish. You hit 254m for he mst long drive contest. It got publicized ok
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3623
Join date : 2009-06-22
Age : 45
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:52 pm

Bro Sham, just curious, you hv 15 clubs so usually which club you will take out during play? I am trying to fix my 14 clubs.
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2882
Join date : 2009-06-20
Age : 34
Location : Springside

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:57 pm

jux take out ur 3 iron la bob....
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2882
Join date : 2009-06-20
Age : 34
Location : Springside

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:58 pm

or ur 3w
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3623
Join date : 2009-06-22
Age : 45
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:02 pm

I think take out 3iron better. Need 3 wood for distance..I saw the callaway razk mb irons. Look nice..hehehe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)   Today at 3:50 am

Back to top Go down
 
Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Waited 15 years to be tickled by the devil's balls (attempt to drive past 200m)
» Non starting K100 after 5 years unused.
» New Years Day Ride, 2011
» Written By Regina Brett, 90 years old, of The Plain Dealer, Cleveland, Ohio
» 60 years ago, Bendigo 1951 - 28,000 see Beckwith win.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.