Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

How to increase distance?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: How to increase distance?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:07 am

I was told that keeping the head down is only intended to maintain a steady position. The swing will naturally bring your head up. If you keep your head firmly down after impact, it actually impedes your swing and follow-through. So, I keep my head down but let it lift naturally.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: How to increase distance?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:08 am

Front View

David Duval is another that gets the head up early. Try it, it will increase your swing speed. The head staying down too long slows your arms and club down
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to increase distance?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:16 am

Sorry for the noob question but would like to ask something in relation to distance & golf balls.

If you are hitting 150yds on the range using range balls, effectively you are hitting 160yds on the course???
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: How to increase distance?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:19 am

Winston wrote:
Sorry for the noob question but would like to ask something in relation to distance & golf balls.

If you are hitting 150yds on the range using range balls, effectively you are hitting 160yds on the course???

That depends on the quality of the range balls and the type of balls you play on the course, and it also assumes that your swing is consistent. Some golfers (like me) tend to swing better on the range because there are no obstacles or worries. On the course, there's a lot more at stake (e.g. OBs, bunkers, water, pride etc).

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to increase distance?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:27 am

Technospaz wrote:
Winston wrote:

That depends on the quality of the range balls and the type of balls you play on the course, and it also assumes that your swing is consistent. Some golfers (like me) tend to swing better on the range because there are no obstacles or worries. On the course, there's a lot more at stake (e.g. OBs, bunkers, water, pride etc).

Ok..but is there a general indication??? I have switched my approach my purpose for going to the range. I am now trying to stabilise my swing and get consistency into it. with a 7i on the range I hit 100 - 110 yds. Went to do a swing analysis on a simulator and with the same swing, I was hitting 130 yds with a nike ball. affraid scratch
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to increase distance?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:47 am

To me...the general indication is it will be longer than what you get at the range...but more importantly is to use the 1st or 2nd shot on the course to calibrate...and then adjust go fwd...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: How to increase distance?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:05 pm

I agree with DS. I use the distance I get on the course as a gauge, rather than what I hit off the range. Also, try to stick with a standard ball when you play rather than swapping them around. This gives you better accuracy for distance.

I'm afraid that there isn't an actual indication IMHO since it really does depend on which range you go to, the quality of the balls, what balls you actually use when you play etc. But a safe bet is to add a further 10-15m off what you are playing in the range subject, of course, to the swing being consistent.

Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: How to increase distance?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:09 pm

Actually, if you are on the 2nd level of MBGCC. The distance you hit with those range balls are pretty much what you will hit on the course.

I verified the flags alr and also its pretty accurate.

Of course, the prevailing wind there now is perpetually head on so that might not tell you what you would do in a nil wind or tail wind situation.

Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to increase distance?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:53 pm

Hi Techno, DG and S70B

Thanks for the input. Just checking because I will heading for my first game in 2 weeks time and just want to check. Getting excited about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to increase distance?   Today at 9:09 am

Back to top Go down

How to increase distance?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Ask The Pro-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.