Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Please comment on my swing (terencee)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
terencee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 58
Join date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi fellow GRians,

I've been learning golf for about 1.5 months now. Just made a switch from graphite to NSP for slightly less than a week, this vid shows my swing on the new NSP 7-iron. Greatly appreciate if you guys can comment on my swing and provide some pointers. Thanks in advance!



or

http://www.swingreader.com/video/view?id=VQibplRI
Back to top Go down
2008
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 754
Join date : 2011-07-03
Location : Club House

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:23 pm

Never take "advise" from other people. It will confuse you more. Ask your coach, you pay for his service.
Back to top Go down
DK
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 243
Join date : 2011-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:39 pm

Looks a bit tense in your legs during the down swing, try to relax and don't think about wanting to hit further but rather in completing a swing. Distance will naturally come. Very Happy just my 2c
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:03 pm

lets put it this way....fm the look of your swing...you definitely swing better than me.

keep it up
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2449
Join date : 2010-05-29
Age : 59
Location : Surabaya

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:09 pm

I never give any comment on other swing since I cannot swing properly myself. However, for only 1.5 months old in golf, your swing much better than me when I am 1.5 months old in golf Smile

Looking at your swing, you appear to have taken some lessons. I could only say was .. try to finished your swing and hold for 3 sec for a picture taken .. believe me, it made allot of different.

How your ball flight ? straight, hook or slice ? Better ask you coach if slice or hook occur in your swing hehehehe .. good luck with your golf Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1004
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Dubai

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:28 pm

Excellent for 1.5 months ... whatever you're doing ... keep at it Beer
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 5606
Join date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:35 pm

Right sided?
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1004
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Dubai

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:43 pm

"face on" camera angle equally important!
Back to top Go down
terencee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 58
Join date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:17 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
I never give any comment on other swing since I cannot swing properly myself. However, for only 1.5 months old in golf, your swing much better than me when I am 1.5 months old in golf Smile

Looking at your swing, you appear to have taken some lessons. I could only say was .. try to finished your swing and hold for 3 sec for a picture taken .. believe me, it made allot of different.

How your ball flight ? straight, hook or slice ? Better ask you coach if slice or hook occur in your swing hehehehe .. good luck with your golf Very Happy

use to slice the ball quite often, recently its relatively straight but will hook the ball at times
Back to top Go down
terencee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 58
Join date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:20 pm

DK wrote:
Looks a bit tense in your legs during the down swing, try to relax and don't think about wanting to hit further but rather in completing a swing. Distance will naturally come. Very Happy just my 2c

yes, i think my swing rotation has some hip tilt, trying to correct it. Think i apply too much grip pressure as well.
Back to top Go down
terencee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 58
Join date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:21 pm

thanks all for the comments. A quick question, do my shoulders look too stiff?
Back to top Go down
cwpei8888
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 118
Join date : 2011-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:38 pm

it's already good bro. time to hit the green. cheers
Back to top Go down
DK
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 243
Join date : 2011-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:39 pm

terencee wrote:
thanks all for the comments. A quick question, do my shoulders look too stiff?

Yes a bit, not on address but same, during down swing, tempo is important which I think u will get it sooner or later, ultimately it's being just 1.5 months for you.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5879
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 90
Location : Pin Hole

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:00 am

Bro, I can see you won't be able to swing far. No offense please. This is because there is no maximum weight shift at impact which is very critical if you wanna swing far and solidly. At impact, at least 80-90% of your weight should be shifted to your front leg.
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1141
Join date : 2009-11-11
Age : 27
Location : Gold Coast , QLD

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:41 am

mate i will like to see face on it will help and the ball flight your normally hitting .... however i will say you don't activate your lower body on the down swing by turning the hips . good example look at rory mcilroy hips rotation. this is why your feet lift up at the finish.
Back to top Go down
DK
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 243
Join date : 2011-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:49 am

Cyp_PGA wrote:
mate i will like to see face on it will help and the ball flight your normally hitting .... however i will say you don't activate your lower body on the down swing by turning the hips . good example look at rory mcilroy hips rotation. this is why your feet lift up at the finish.
I love rory and his swing!! Swing
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional


Posts : 620
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 28
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:34 am

Hi mate

First thing. Get the guy taking the video to do a better job. A down the line video shot should be taken with the camera in line with where the golfer is aiming and at wrists height. Your set up looks open because I would think the poor camera angle has distortered your actual set up.

The first thing I teach my students is to understand why their ball flight is a slice/ hook or in your instance can go both ways. Your downswing path is too much from the outside coming down. If you impact the ball with a shut clubface it will start left and go more left and if you did with an open clubface it would slice.

The second would be to help them understand what causes that path. In your case, the sequencing of your hips, shoulders, arms and legs are poor. You can see that you initiate your downswing with your shoulders first. This is the biggest cause of the famous over the top move. You would need to learn how to sequence your downswing better.

So we understand what causes that ball flight and what's wrong on the way down. But for every effect there is a cause. Thirdly, the manner which you start your downswing is caused by a poor backswing position at the top. The club is across the line, too much hip tilt which causes a very bent left knee. People who swing to this position tend to swing too long with their arms to compensate for the lack of shoulder turn.

The root of swing faults start from the set up. However a better camera angle and a shot from front on would give me a better idea.

So now you know why your ball flight it such, what causes it and why you swing in the manner you do. The next would be to not fix your golf swing yourself( unless you are a qualified professional) but to seek advice from one.
Back to top Go down
zixter
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 174
Join date : 2010-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:40 pm

Looks good my friend .. can play a good game of golf if this is your consistent swing (not picked out from a bunch of video-ed swing hehe)

i think if you can keep the spine angle till finish you will see your ball going a lot further ..
Back to top Go down
pizzaboi
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 50
Join date : 2011-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:27 pm

theres a bit of chicken wing coming out.. like what pro jhan mentioned, a bit too outside in.
Back to top Go down
terencee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 58
Join date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:10 pm

jhan18 wrote:
Hi mate

First thing. Get the guy taking the video to do a better job. A down the line video shot should be taken with the camera in line with where the golfer is aiming and at wrists height. Your set up looks open because I would think the poor camera angle has distortered your actual set up.

The first thing I teach my students is to understand why their ball flight is a slice/ hook or in your instance can go both ways. Your downswing path is too much from the outside coming down. If you impact the ball with a shut clubface it will start left and go more left and if you did with an open clubface it would slice.

The second would be to help them understand what causes that path. In your case, the sequencing of your hips, shoulders, arms and legs are poor. You can see that you initiate your downswing with your shoulders first. This is the biggest cause of the famous over the top move. You would need to learn how to sequence your downswing better.

So we understand what causes that ball flight and what's wrong on the way down. But for every effect there is a cause. Thirdly, the manner which you start your downswing is caused by a poor backswing position at the top. The club is across the line, too much hip tilt which causes a very bent left knee. People who swing to this position tend to swing too long with their arms to compensate for the lack of shoulder turn.

The root of swing faults start from the set up. However a better camera angle and a shot from front on would give me a better idea.

So now you know why your ball flight it such, what causes it and why you swing in the manner you do. The next would be to not fix your golf swing yourself( unless you are a qualified professional) but to seek advice from one.

Hi bro,

Many thanks for your feedback. When i start my downswing, which part of my body should initial the movement? is it the weight transfer from right to left leg? appreciate your advice. thanks!
Back to top Go down
terencee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 58
Join date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:16 pm

Turbo wrote:
Bro, I can see you won't be able to swing far. No offense please. This is because there is no maximum weight shift at impact which is very critical if you wanna swing far and solidly. At impact, at least 80-90% of your weight should be shifted to your front leg.

Noted with thanks! There's too many things for me to remember, when i try to execute all, i get quite confused and usually hit the ball badly
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional


Posts : 620
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 28
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Arms wind the body, body unwind the arms. Hips initiate the downswing. However it would be pretty difficult considering you've so much inverese tilt at the top of your swing. Learn to swing the club back in the correct manner first. Learn how your body should wind up. So much I can say buddy. Not easy to read off here and try it yourself.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 856
Join date : 2009-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Agree with Justin on his analysis.
I would guarantee from the front /side view, you will be sliding your hips not coiling and you would have excessive shoulder turn.
All this results in club across the line and the steep, out-to-in path.
Easy to change to a draw if you improve your set up and turn/coil

For a 1.5 month golfer, you are doing very well however.

My advise is the less shoulder turn for you is best. You need more turn in the hips, not the shoulders

Back to top Go down
terencee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 58
Join date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:28 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
Agree with Justin on his analysis.
I would guarantee from the front /side view, you will be sliding your hips not coiling and you would have excessive shoulder turn.
All this results in club across the line and the steep, out-to-in path.
Easy to change to a draw if you improve your set up and turn/coil

For a 1.5 month golfer, you are doing very well however.

My advise is the less shoulder turn for you is best. You need more turn in the hips, not the shoulders


Thanks! Appreciate all the pointers guys
Back to top Go down
silverhex
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 55
Join date : 2011-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:28 am

i think you have a great swing. lovely back swing. but i think the downswing needs some lower body clearance. initiate the transition from with your knees moving from right to left.

let me know if that helps. if im not wrong, you are slicing or pulling your shots alot ya?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Please comment on my swing (terencee)   Today at 12:12 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Please comment on my swing (terencee)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» The Honda Classic - Pros' (and Celeb) Swing Videos
» Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?
» Back Swing
» Tian's swing
» Usually, what is your most important swing thoughts?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Swing Sequence and Videos-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.