Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Driving range encounter..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
golfnut
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving range encounter..   Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:51 pm

OCC has some irritating "pros" too.
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving range encounter..   Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:11 pm

Wonder why all these never happen to shamusan, duffy and chubs.... hmmm maybe because they have "ang kong" or ....
Back to top Go down
simon1982
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving range encounter..   Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:38 pm

and68low wrote:
Wonder why all these never happen to shamusan, duffy and chubs.... hmmm maybe because they have "ang kong" or ....

Maybe i have the "too guai guai and easy to bully look". And he thinks i am a easy target and how right he is. Shocked
Back to top Go down
stickman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving range encounter..   Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:47 pm

simon1982 wrote:
areef218 wrote:
it is good practise lesson to have someone watching over your back when you hit. This way you learn to play under pressure which happens on every first tee.

That is so true. But i prefer to practice without someone looking at me from back. Laughing

One weekend afternoon, when i was playing at the Mandai Executive, nearly same situation with 6 to 7 flights behind us watching and scutinising your shots on the first tee.

Ya, I think it is good to practice with people looking at you...like simin1982 said...."play under pressure" or play under "pleasure"........and after a while, you will ignore those curious lookers. For all you know, he is learning from your good and "to improve" shots...

But if it makes you uncomfortable, ask him in a friendly manner that you are uncomfortable with onlookers...Hopefully the guy will walk away.

Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving range encounter..   Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:04 pm

if ppl watch cannot hit then how to improve.

just imagine at the course, ur flight mate burning you with their laser stare, wishing you will miss your shot so they will win the bet....then give the fake clap and cheer 'great shot!!' when you hit a great shot

BTW i also see a few guys at MBGC waiting to take over the bay from a pretty lady......does not affect the lady......she still cannot hit the ball.

Last edited by tronos on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving range encounter..   Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:05 pm

Maybe you should practice the art of loosening your grip on the backswing, after 1 or 2 accidental flying clubs, they guy behind should get the hint....

Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving range encounter..   Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:07 pm

Haha. I wish someone wld try that with me. I wld take his basket and balls and just pour them down. Assuming I'm on the second floor and above lah
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Driving range encounter..   Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:10 pm

shamusan wrote:
Haha. I wish someone wld try that with me. I wld take his basket and balls and just pour them down. Assuming I'm on the second floor and above lah

lol! Now we know why nobody dare to stand behind you and wait for your bay.

Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving range encounter..   Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Waaa.... never knew that driving ranges in SG are so crowded!

If you guys have the time, and do not want to have a queue behind your bay, JB driving ranges are quite brisk. 100balls at RM10.00 - RM12.00 Not bad eh?

Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving range encounter..   Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:23 pm

andrew-golf wrote:
Must be a public range....

Happened to me also. But that guy didn't even ask me and put his range balls next to my balls

After hitting my balls, injusbtold him "I'm not done yet" n left my clubs therenn go on to buy more balls..

Dunno if singaporean or Korean...

Must be KOREAN!!! Korean's manners are quite bad... cos my boss is a %^%$&$& Korean!!! ha ha ha
Back to top Go down
golfnut
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving range encounter..   Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:23 pm

areef218 wrote:
it is good practise lesson to have someone watching over your back when you hit. This way you learn to play under pressure which happens on every first tee.

Take one or two look is ok la. i am sure everyone does that right? but not stand there and stare...
Back to top Go down
golfnut
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving range encounter..   Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:26 pm

Encounter at one of the ranges at north area. this guy seems to go around teaching or correcting people their mistakes. till i saw a lady got irritated, stop her practicing and fume off, and she just started less than 20 mins!.
Back to top Go down
golfnut
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving range encounter..   Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:27 pm

jtek wrote:
andrew-golf wrote:
Must be a public range....

Happened to me also. But that guy didn't even ask me and put his range balls next to my balls

After hitting my balls, injusbtold him "I'm not done yet" n left my clubs therenn go on to buy more balls..

Dunno if singaporean or Korean...

Must be KOREAN!!! Korean's manners are quite bad... cos my boss is a %^%$&$& Korean!!! ha ha ha

Koreans are compeitive... they will fllow suit with you esp when they re behind your bay. you use driver, they folow, change to fairway, they again follow.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Driving range encounter..   Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:54 pm

I have encountered many situations on the range. Pleasant and unpleasant ones. One thing i have come to learn is that we asians are very bad in communication.

Andrew, I kena the same situation as you. The local guy seeing that i am going to finish, placed his basket of balls at the side and stood behind me with arms folded, waiting for me to finish. not one word was said. I was actually done, but decided to continue because of his attitude,

Had the same situation again, but this time it was with an Aussie. He came up to ask if I was finishing, and if so can he take over after I am done. I said ok, he can take over and aske him to come back in 10mins. And came back he did, for a can of 100plus.

Been using the aussie's approach and so far it has been enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
simon1982
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving range encounter..   Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:36 pm

I think this is up to each and individuals. Way of courtesy.
So far my encounters are good, even when i am not hitting any balls at the side, leaving or sitting at bay, most people will approach me and asked if you are still hitting before putting their golf bags down and proceed to buying balls.

And yes that is my first encounter.
The bay is not crowded like till got queue behind and definately no need to go JB just to hit ranges, is at MBGC.

If he had said he was waiting, i could seriously be much happier to let him have the bay.
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driving range encounter..   Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Its quite common in singapore to have loud rowdy bunches who just go to the range to "hang out" have beer.. criticize one another's swings and have a good laugh. oblivious to the ppl around them. they fail to realize that some ppl are actually serious about their game and are there to focus on practice. however.. it is a public range and u can't really stop ppl from doing what they wanna do.

Having ppl watch you swing from being... as some said.. could be a good practice to calm ur nerves.. if u don't feel comfortable... i'd just take my time to hit. instead of hitting continuously, i'd hit maybe 3-5 balls.. and then walk away from the mat. do this enough, the guy would feel that u'd take forever to finish and give up waiting. on a side note.. hitting balls continously without stopping is not good practice either.

readin the papers is abit too much... think it'd be hella frustrating if some guy did that to me.

if someone's standing behind me and "breathing down my neck".. i'd usually just turn around... walk to my bag... put back my club and smile... and they'd usually ask if i'm almost done, and i'll state my intention.

most ppl start off with a wedge. and progress up to the driver. for me... first club i hit is the driver.. cus that's the first club u hit on the course. i hit 2-3 drives.. then go to an iron.. then PW then SW. and repeat. walking around after each shot. simulating play on an actual course. think about it.. how many of you actually hit balls at the range just b4 u tee off?

then after doing a few reps of this.. i will then focus on the club i have problems with that day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driving range encounter..   Today at 6:50 pm

Back to top Go down

Driving range encounter..
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2