Interesting Facts about Golf
Posts : 412
Join date : 2010-12-27
Age : 37
Location : Singapore
|Subject: Interesting Facts about Golf Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:24 am|| |
- 125,000 golf balls a year are hit into the water at the famous 17th hole of the Stadium Course at Sawgrass.
- The longest drive ever is 515 yards. The longest putt ever is a monstrous 375 feet
- Phil Mickelson, who plays left-handed, is actually right handed. He learned to play golf by mirroring his father’s golf swing, and he has used left handed golf clubs ever since.
- The chances of making two holes-in-one in a round of golf are one in 67 million.
-Tiger Woods snagged his first ace at the tender age of eight years old.
- Balls travel significantly further on hot days. A golfer swinging a club at around 100 mph will carry the driver up to eight yards longer for each increase in air temperature of 25°F.
- The longest golf course in the world is the par 77 International Golf Club in Massachusetts which measures a fearsome 8325 yards
- The highest golf course in the world is the Tactu Golf Club in Morococha, Peru, which sits 14,335 feet above sea level at its lowest point.
-The longest golf hole in the world is the 7th hole (par 7) of the Sano Course at the Satsuki Golf Club in Japan. It measures an incredible 909 yards.
- The largest bunker in the world is Hell's Half Acre on the 585-yard 7th hole of the Pine Valley Course in New Jersey.
- The largest golfing green is that of the 695-yard, 5th hole, a par 6 at the International Golf Club in Massachusetts, with an area in excess of 28,000 square feet.
- The driver swing speed of an average lady golfer is 62mph; 96mph for an average LPGA professional; 84mph for an average male golfer; 108mph for an average PGA Tour player; 130mph for Tiger Woods; 148-152mph for a national long drive champion.
- There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.
- The first golf balls were made of thin leather stuffed with feathers. Tightly-packed feathers made balls that flew the farthest. Feather balls were used until 1848.
- The youngest golfer to shoot a hole-in-one was Coby Orr, who was five years old at the time. It happened in Littleton, Colorado, in 1975.
- 22.8% of golfers are women.
- Golf was banned in Scotland from 1457 to 1502 to ensure citizens wouldn't waste time when preparing for an English invasion
- The term birdie comes from an American named Ab Smith. While playing 1899, he played what he described as a "bird of a shot", which became "birdie" over time.
- The word golf does not mean "Gentleman Only, Ladies Forbidden". This is an internet myth.
- Don't feel bad about your high handicap -80% of all golfers will never achieve a handicap of less than 18 .
Super Active Golfer
Posts : 1400
Join date : 2009-07-27
Location : Jurong
|Subject: Re: Interesting Facts about Golf Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:35 am|| |
Hmmm. I play golf in the desert you know...
Posts : 412
Join date : 2010-12-27
Age : 37
Location : Singapore
|Subject: Re: Interesting Facts about Golf Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:52 am|| |
No kidding. I wonder how does desert and snow golf is like.... Hope to give it a go one day~
- jurongtiger wrote:
- Hmmm. I play golf in the desert you know...
|Subject: Re: Interesting Facts about Golf || |
Total Donation till date to
Autism Association (SG): S$46,285
|» Looking for good golf coach|
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Today at 2:29 pm
» Most Popular Photos of the Year - 2016
by tonyj5 Today at 1:44 am
» Newbie usually at BB
by billcoke Today at 1:02 am
» Coach for a complete beginner
by alfis Yesterday at 2:05 pm
» Thana City & Muang Keaw (Bangkok)
by Noriki Yesterday at 10:50 am
» Honda LPGA Thailand Preview, Pairings, and Much More.
by tonyj5 Yesterday at 9:24 am
» ISPS Handa Women's Australian Open Preview, Pairings, and More
by Ant Yesterday at 8:06 am
» Newbie 2017
by izzx11 Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:57 pm
» Hello Everyone! :)
by dariustanbr Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:49 pm
» hi - new to forum
by dayveed Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:03 pm
» Ria Bintan's FIRST ANNIVERSARY Promotion!
by colin2011 Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:26 am
» my golf kaki - Whatsapp group chat
by mygolfkaki Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:02 am
» Sembawang weekend golfer
by hometeamWill Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:01 am
» Ria Bintan Golf Club
by sebastianlim Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:04 am
» Solheim Cup Update: U.S. Players Fighting For Remaining Spot
by tonyj5 Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:42 am
» 3D golf course mapping / rendering
by stormriders99 Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:47 am
» ELS Desaru Promotion Rate by me
by famacdonald Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:58 pm
» Green Horn with regular practise
by hockie1992 Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:23 am
» LPGA Player Profile: Brittany Lincicome
by tonyj50 Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:13 am
» How Good Are This Year's LPGA Rookies?
by tonyj50 Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:52 pm
» Brittany Lincicome Wins, Nelly Korda Shines!
by tonyj50 Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:47 am
» Pure Silk LPGA Classic Preview, Pairings, and More.
by tonyj50 Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:02 pm
» Looking for a set of beginner golf clubs
by zhiming1 Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:29 pm
» tanjong puteri B/C course gt sell balls?
by angeldogleslie Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:24 am
» Struggling with the golf swing
by Kaii Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:28 pm
» jap coach in TPY range
by kevlye Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:00 pm
» Anyone tried using 44.5" driver shaft??
by willytan Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:59 pm
» Which courses to play in Mission Hills, Shenzhen or Haikou?
by Nomad Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:39 pm
» Mizuno Iron
by mizunoshen Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:19 am
» LPGA Profile: So Yeon Ryu
by tonyj50 Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:51 pm
» SMBC Open TaylorMade launch
by Darrentay Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:23 pm
» Beginners' game for high handicappers...
by dayveed Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:49 pm
» How to fix erratic game?
by matoonia Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:30 pm
» SMBC Sentosa 19 - 22 January 2017
by kop Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:54 pm
» My Top 40 Player of the Year Predictions for 2017
by tonyj50 Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:33 am
» Beginner Golfer
by dayveed Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:32 am
by Noriki Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:49 pm
» Ten Questions for the 2017 Season
by tonyj50 Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:40 am
» YouTube Golf Channel (by Yaozza)
by mizunoshen Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:47 pm
» New member
by Chelwin Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:57 pm
» kids to learn golf
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:29 pm
» Best credit card benefits for golf
by Titlelisten Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:09 pm
» Sunday Morning NSRCC Kranji 853am (18 dec)
by dayveed Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:37 pm
» Regular Weekend NSRCC games
by dayveed Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:36 pm
» Palm Resort all courses booked by Korean Jan to Feb 2017 - Avoid Reminder till March
by dayveed Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:34 pm