Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Are your expectations getting in your way?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Are your expectations getting in your way?   Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:56 pm

In his book How I Play Golf, Tiger Woods said: “I won 12 times around the world in 2000, including 3 majors, and I only remember hitting one shot I would call perfect – a 3 wood on No. 14 on the Old Course at St. Andrews in the third round of the British Open.”
Imagine that, during one of the most successful seasons in the history of professional golf, he only hit one perfect shot. What does that say about the rest of the shots? Well, it means that in some form or another, every other shot was a miss. Now, there is no doubt Tiger has different standards than the rest of us, and surely there is a little bit of exaggeration in the statement, but the point is valid, perfectly struck shots are the exception, not the norm.

Frequently, my students and I have completely different reactions to the shots that they hit, and it usually turns out that they are disappointed in a shot that I am totally excited about. Usually it’s because they are expecting, and comparing it to their very best shot, and when the results are less than expected, there is a feeling of disappointment, often followed by frustration.
This is usually when I tell them the Tiger Woods story (above) and try to get them to think about expectations a little differently. Understand that by always comparing it to your very best shot you are setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment, self doubt, and the emotions that are tied to those things. Perfect shots really are the exception, and we really don’t even need them. To successfully get ourselves around the golf course, what we do need, are a whole bunch of shots that are good enough, a few good shots and the odd great shot.

I often tell my students, it’s not about how good are your good shots it’s about how good are your bad shots? If we learn to accept good enough, we can perceive ourselves as being more consistent which can help with confidence, and as we all know, confidence is so important in anything we do.

Learn to manage, or even eliminate expectations from your game, and take away the feelings of pressure, disappointment, frustration, and self doubt.

Imagine that, wouldn’t golf be a lot more enjoyable?
Back to top Go down
http://www.bradfordprogolf.com
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are your expectations getting in your way?   Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:08 pm

That's exactly like what my coach told me too!

I guess its all up to us to lay down expectations to enjoy this game without all the noise within of expectations of 'getting it right all the time, every damned time' and 'hitting low scores'.

Still trying hard to cast aside expectations, self-worth, standards and of course, how I'm viewed by others whenever I'm playing. I guess as one grows older, it becomes harder as we associate golf with whatever stuff we have on our minds.

Thanks for the advice though! Will try my best!
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are your expectations getting in your way?   Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:56 pm

Newtogolf wrote:
That's exactly like what my coach told me too!

I guess its all up to us to lay down expectations to enjoy this game without all the noise within of expectations of 'getting it right all the time, every damned time' and 'hitting low scores'.

Still trying hard to cast aside expectations, self-worth, standards and of course, how I'm viewed by others whenever I'm playing. I guess as one grows older, it becomes harder as we associate golf with whatever stuff we have on our minds.

Thanks for the advice though! Will try my best!

I have hit tee shots into the trees.... and made par.

I have hit perfect bombs down the center of the fairway... and made bogey or worse.

And every time that happens, I remind myself, it's not over until it's over.

Some of my best rounds were when I was missing most of the fairways.

This was a well-written and pertinent post from punkrockpga.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Are your expectations getting in your way?   Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:00 pm

Bob Rotella books are great for avid golfers to read so that they can learn to enjoy the joys of the game of golf.

My fav is his book titled "Golf is not a game of perfect"

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are your expectations getting in your way?   Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:16 pm

punkrockpga wrote:
it’s not about how good are your good shots it’s about how good are your bad shots?

Like Beer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are your expectations getting in your way?   Today at 10:18 pm

Back to top Go down

Are your expectations getting in your way?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1