Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
CoRN
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 380
Join date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:59 pm

Wow... you can go click on the button now...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:01 pm

CoRN wrote:
Wow... you can go click on the button now...

Nah, these are far too out of my range. I just stumbled over the video while browsing.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
CoRN
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 380
Join date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:10 pm

That's the problem when you have an empty storeroom. It's not healthy to take too much poison.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:10 pm

2 words ...."Swee"...."Buy"....haha
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1158
Join date : 2009-07-01
Age : 48
Location : Little Red Dot

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:54 pm

I can only think of two reasons why people would want to consider Blades, i.e. 1) they like the look of blades 2) its the ego at work (blades look more pros).

Honestly, a lot of us will try to find all kind of excuses to change equipment. One common excuse is that blades will make us train harder. IMHO, this is complete BS. We want to train harder to lower our scores and play better golf, so what is stopping one to train harder with cavity irons? And the common answer to that is feedback. Personally, the only feedback i sort after is where my ball goes where I want it to go.

Bottomline, go with what you like and what suit you is the best.
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1103
Join date : 2010-09-19
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:13 pm

yup go with what you like is the best and the reason for that does not have to be explained to anyone as it's your money, your game and your life. Everybody's result is different, every body talents is different, but IMHO good player should be able to use any stick given to them, cause the Indian is good and they will be able to compensate the arrow using their skill.

And as for BS, I went down from 22 to 14.2 in less then a year, maybe it's just me and maybe I could also achieve the same with TM CGB Max (3 years) and didn't switch to MP-68 (8 months). So those blade train you harder must be BS ? Maybe, I don't play both club at the same time so I guess I'll never know.

I just have a pop on the light bulb and will try to play with my old club and see what I'll get away with bounce But again this is for me so it might not be applicable to you.

Just go with whatever float your boats like Nutty88 said. If it works it works, if it don't, well just change the approach and find out whatever works for you.


Last edited by dmateo on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 5606
Join date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:26 pm

nutty88 wrote:
I can only think of two reasons why people would want to consider Blades, i.e. 1) they like the look of blades 2) its the ego at work (blades look more pros).

Honestly, a lot of us will try to find all kind of excuses to change equipment. One common excuse is that blades will make us train harder. IMHO, this is complete BS. We want to train harder to lower our scores and play better golf, so what is stopping one to train harder with cavity irons? And the common answer to that is feedback. Personally, the only feedback i sort after is where my ball goes where I want it to go.

Bottomline, go with what you like and what suit you is the best.

or in short:

SWEE? BUY! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 2159
Join date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:26 pm

Golf is as much (if not more) a mental game as a physical game.

Different clubs invoke different reactions in different people, especially the top line profile.

Some people see the thin topline of blades, and, it just makes them happy and confident to hit the shot.

Some people see blades and start to doubt if that thin piece of metal can actually send the ball flying ... and try to hit harder, completely messing up their tempo.

The physics are obvious when comparing blades with player's cavity back irons. The mental effect from confidence or feeling like you are "ONE" with your clubs can't be quantified so easily.

I personally am afraid of blades for mid and long irons, which is why I do not use them. No point bringing more demons to deal with on the course than I already have ...

However, my 50 deg wedge is a pure blade, and I love it ....

So I guess the main issue is inside my head and how the clubs make me feel ..

In any case, just try, if you don't like blades, there is always the marketplace ... Beer

_________________
========================================
What's in the Bag

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1103
Join date : 2010-09-19
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:36 pm

Don't forget poison factor. And generally you will try harder with a club you like. So the chio factor indirectly play some role. Having said that some cavity clubs are also a beauty so you can go either way.

I agree on swee buy! Then not working sell on marketplace loh Smile
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 3798
Join date : 2009-10-09
Age : 51
Location : Wherever my feet take me....

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:58 pm

Both camps have their arguments, each just take a different route. One seeks a better game through equipment, the other would rather improve their skill with more demanding equipment. It's a matter of choice.

Still, a golfer with a swing speed in the 80+mph range would be better suited to a cavity backed iron. Their lack of swing speed would make it a herculean task for them to launch the ball with enough height to achieve optimum trajectory.

Blades have a much higher CG than cavity backs, not so much an issue for the slower swinger using the shorter irons, but that same lack of speed would mean a marked diminishing return in distance with the longer irons. Blades are by nature designed for the better player with a faster swing speed, which is why they are hardly, if ever, offered in graphite shafts, only steel.

If it's all really about forcing oneself to improve the skill practicing with hard-to-use blades, then why custom fit those blades further with shaft replacements along with lie and angle tweaks? Why replace the 3 and 4 iron with an easy to hit hybrid? Why not be a purist all the way and play the long irons? Or get really hard core and even ditch the metal woods and go back to persimmon heads? As some say, if the skill is there, can play with anything.

Food for thought? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:12 pm

Food... for eating.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1997
Join date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:46 pm

Birdman wrote:
... It's a matter of choice.

Still, a golfer with a swing speed in the 80+mph range would be better suited to a cavity backed iron. Their lack of swing speed would make it a herculean task for them to launch the ball with enough height to achieve optimum trajectory.

Blades have a much higher CG than cavity backs, not so much an issue for the slower swinger using the shorter irons, but that same lack of speed would mean a marked diminishing return in distance with the longer irons. Blades are by nature designed for the better player with a faster swing speed, which is why they are hardly, if ever, offered in graphite shafts, only steel.

...


I see! No wonder I could not hit the blade properly when I first learnt golf. Laughing Laughing Laughing

This topic somehow always stirs up lively debate no matter on which forum; I always enjoy reading the variety of arguments put forth, esp the semi emotional ones. Human psyche and pathos in a mirocosm.

Even with the MP52, I could really belt a long one with the 4-iron if I swung out of my shoes. But it was tiring, and most of the time I just opted to swing easy.

But with the blades, there is no choice. Get the speed up there, or the ball will not fly. After some time, given no choice, the body adapts, and now it is neither tiring, nor do I have to put my shoes back on afterwards. To be honest, I have even forgotten how I used to swing.

But anytime there's anything that requires a minimum criteria, such as the minimum speed requirement put forth by Birdman, an esteemed opinion I must say, it divides opinions and passions. It creates an artificial 'have' and 'have not' division. Both camps equally passionate.

There is clearly some sort of minimum requirement in skill in order to play blades effectively. The filtering mechanism is built-in. Those who try, and could not get used to it, will soon put the set in the buy-sell section and move on. No shame in that at all. It was worth the trying. Golf can be enjoyed in various ways.

But those who persevere, and work diligently on their swing until the blades start to feel second nature, will be rewarded not just by an improved swing, but also by the unadulterated pleasure of a blade sweet spot impact. The sensation does not get any purer or the note any sweeter than that.

And yes, I must admit after such a shot, I beam with perhaps touch more pride than usual, watching the ball sail to the pin for a birdie chance.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 47
Location : Wild Wild West

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:21 pm

I tot your setup n follow through determine ball control.....

Din know iron design have a huge impact on ball control.....

I could be wrong..... Just a weekend hacker
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1997
Join date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:15 pm

dmateo wrote:
yup got with what you like is the best and the reason for that does not have to be explained to anyone as it's your money, your game and your life. Everybody's result is different, every body talents is different, but IMHO good player should be able to use any stick given to them, cause the Indian is good and they will be able to compensate the arrow using their skill.

And as for BS, I went down from 22 to 14.2 in less then a year, maybe it's just's me and maybe I could also achieve the same with TM CGB Max (3 years) and didn't switch to MP-68 (8 months). So those blade train you harder must be BS ? Maybe, I don't play both club at the same time so I guess I'll never know.

I just have a pop on the light bulb and will try to play with my old club and see what I'll get away with bounce But again this is for me so it might not be applicable to you.

Just go with whatever float your boats like Nutty88 said. If it works it works, if it don't well just change the approach and find out whatever works for you.

dmateo!

I am impressed! Well done bro. cheers
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 5606
Join date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:16 pm

Wah lau Lee, why must say birdie chance, bogey chance oso no shame lah Razz
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1997
Join date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:32 pm

pushslice wrote:
Wah lau Lee, why must say birdie chance, bogey chance oso no shame lah Razz

True, true, sorry, sorry... Smile Smile

I was thinking of a recent 5-iron shot I hit into a downslope par 3, green sloping downward AND protected smack in the middle by a bunker with a swollen lip, mouth open like Fantasia Barrino at the American Idol final, ready to swallow any ball going for the pin which was cut right behind it. And the ball traced a straight line over the sky, somehow cleared the lips of Fantasia, and trickled down the sloping green for an uphill putt.

Blade - $$$expensive
5-iron Fantasia shot - priceless.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1997
Join date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:38 pm

Lee36328 wrote:
pushslice wrote:
Wah lau Lee, why must say birdie chance, bogey chance oso no shame lah Razz

True, true, sorry, sorry... Smile Smile

I was thinking of a recent 5-iron shot I hit into a downslope par 3, green sloping downward AND protected smack in the middle by a bunker with a swollen lip, mouth open like Fantasia Barrino at the American Idol final, ready to swallow any ball going for the pin which was cut right behind it. And the ball traced a straight line over the sky, somehow cleared the lips of Fantasia, and trickled down the sloping green for an uphill putt.

Blade - $$$expensive
5-iron Fantasia shot - priceless.

BTW, no disrespect to MP52, but the previous few times I played the same hole a few months back (still MP52 at that time), either hook, or short, did not even GIR before. And yes, this was the first time playing the hole w the blade...

Just saying....
Back to top Go down
beerbutt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 39
Join date : 2010-05-19

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:54 pm

Blades are good.

I topped my 6 iron totally, 40m carry , 100m roll with a slight draw 3 inches from the pin

6 iron top- tremendously terrible
Look on my friends' faces- priceless
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:10 pm

Lee36328 wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
pushslice wrote:
Wah lau Lee, why must say birdie chance, bogey chance oso no shame lah Razz

True, true, sorry, sorry... Smile Smile

I was thinking of a recent 5-iron shot I hit into a downslope par 3, green sloping downward AND protected smack in the middle by a bunker with a swollen lip, mouth open like Fantasia Barrino at the American Idol final, ready to swallow any ball going for the pin which was cut right behind it. And the ball traced a straight line over the sky, somehow cleared the lips of Fantasia, and trickled down the sloping green for an uphill putt.

Blade - $$$expensive
5-iron Fantasia shot - priceless.

BTW, no disrespect to MP52, but the previous few times I played the same hole a few months back (still MP52 at that time), either hook, or short, did not even GIR before. And yes, this was the first time playing the hole w the blade...

Just saying....

Bro, aren't your Miuras blades too? If yes, then it wasn't so much the fact that the blades were bad... just the 52s Smile

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Shanks!
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 173
Join date : 2011-04-30
Location : West

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:28 pm

Lee36328 wrote:
pushslice wrote:
Wah lau Lee, why must say birdie chance, bogey chance oso no shame lah Razz

True, true, sorry, sorry... Smile Smile

I was thinking of a recent 5-iron shot I hit into a downslope par 3, green sloping downward AND protected smack in the middle by a bunker with a swollen lip, mouth open like Fantasia Barrino at the American Idol final, ready to swallow any ball going for the pin which was cut right behind it. And the ball traced a straight line over the sky, somehow cleared the lips of Fantasia, and trickled down the sloping green for an uphill putt.

Blade - $$$expensive
5-iron Fantasia shot - priceless.

Bro Lee,

Blades are not expensive. On the contrary, cavity backs with graphite shafts are! Got my MP63 4 months ago for $1100 from GH, with a T11 and many other goodies thrown in. Unless...you do not consider them blades... Suspect

And I checked...they shank well!

Shanks!
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1103
Join date : 2010-09-19
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:09 pm

Birdman wrote:

If it's all really about forcing oneself to improve the skill practicing with hard-to-use blades, then why custom fit those blades further with shaft replacements along with lie and angle tweaks? Why replace the 3 and 4 iron with an easy to hit hybrid? Why not be a purist all the way and play the long irons? Or get really hard core and even ditch the metal woods and go back to persimmon heads? As some say, if the skill is there, can play with anything.

Food for thought? Very Happy

Birdman, bad advice for the club company leh.. Smile

do they really have persimmon head for wood ? I was one wood head made of wood but can't really imagine how they use it.. Smile
Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 749
Join date : 2009-12-17
Age : 33
Location : Anywhere!

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:28 pm

blades make me feel like i'm cutting grass!
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 3798
Join date : 2009-10-09
Age : 51
Location : Wherever my feet take me....

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:33 pm

dmateo wrote:
Birdman wrote:

If it's all really about forcing oneself to improve the skill practicing with hard-to-use blades, then why custom fit those blades further with shaft replacements along with lie and angle tweaks? Why replace the 3 and 4 iron with an easy to hit hybrid? Why not be a purist all the way and play the long irons? Or get really hard core and even ditch the metal woods and go back to persimmon heads? As some say, if the skill is there, can play with anything.

Food for thought? Very Happy

Birdman, bad advice for the club company leh.. Smile

do they really have persimmon head for wood ? I was one wood head made of wood but can't really imagine how they use it.. Smile

Say only la... no one in their right mind will do it. We'll all take any kind of help we can get to play the game, blade players included. Very Happy

In fact, the blades of today are more playable than those of Jack Nicklaus' era. Pick up one of those to really know what a blade is.

And yes, they really used persimmon woods for the head, it gave the best feel. Ping used to be famous for their more durable laminated wood heads. For the faces of the woods, they used a kind of plastic called cycolac. Where got steel or titanium in those days...?

And before Callaway was the company it is today, they were a small player known for manufacturing hickory wood shafts with steel inserts. Shocked

Topic OFF
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 3798
Join date : 2009-10-09
Age : 51
Location : Wherever my feet take me....

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:37 pm

Dmateo, you and Lee are good examples illustrating that switching to blades can make you improve your game.

Kudos to the both of you.

I'll still stick with cavity backs though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1103
Join date : 2010-09-19
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:52 pm

birdman, not really lah. I think Lee is definitely on my case is still a question mark. I still have a long way to prove this is not once of the blue moon thing.

As I said I will also not know what will happen if I kept continuing with my cavity back. maybe I'll score in 70's ? who knows. I guess it's just one of those choices in live you have to make and see what goes.
If I imagine hard, the discussion in my brain is something akin to this:

On Cavity back : Brain said, this club is super forgiving, so no need to focus lah as long as can hit ok already. can be sloppy also forgiven, just enjoy and relax.

On Blade : don't play play, this is not forgiving, better do it properly if don't want to buy beer for flight mate and loose all six-es bet. Concentrate, focus, relax the arm, don't use if for swinging, swing with your body , transfer weight first, hips go in first, release through, swing dont' hit or you'll shank it etc.

in the end maybe after kena cane by the brain everyday the body are forced to follow albeit reluctantly. At least until the I want to hit further syndrome kick in and overtook, and all hell break loose. back to square one ROFL

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   Today at 11:19 pm

Back to top Go down
 
What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?
» For Callaway lovers - TJ's New Razr Blade
» Hartley Out of Lions Tour Best called up.
» semi-blade / forged irons for mid handicap
» Bridgestone J40 irons review

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.