Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 972
Join date : 2011-03-12
Age : 42
Location : Johor Bahru

PostSubject: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:52 pm

I recently played at Horizon Hills (JB) where the greens are the fastest amongst all the courses in JB. I had a horrific putting day there! The more holes I played, the less confident I became with my putting.

My home course, RJCC, on the contrary, has slower greens compared to HH.

After reading the Scotty Cameron Owners thread, it got me thinking and I wish to seek advice from you guys:

Will using a lighter putter help when putting on fast greens? And vice versa for slower greens?

My putter is quite heavy and seems to do well at RJ, but I totally cannot putt with it to save my life when playing at HH.
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 533
Join date : 2011-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:43 pm

Probably that and your not used to the iskandar open quality greens ! Smile
Back to top Go down
Joshua
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 570
Join date : 2010-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:51 pm

Heavier putter for fast greens and lighter for slow greens bro

Human mind will adjust accordingly just for example u throw two balls at a certain target (with the same amount of strength applied - A heavier ball will travel less distance compared to a lighter ball.
Back to top Go down
ron81
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 295
Join date : 2009-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:51 am

Joshua wrote:
Heavier putter for fast greens and lighter for slow greens bro

Human mind will adjust accordingly just for example u throw two balls at a certain target (with the same amount of strength applied - A heavier ball will travel less distance compared to a lighter ball.

The weight of ball you describe make sense, but I'm quite sure Denmeister is correct with the putter weight for different green speed.

"For the same stroke with the same putter head speed at impact on the same green, a heavy putter sends the ball farther than a light putter. Thus, heavier putters are often preferred for slower greens, and lighter putters preferred for faster greens." Extracted from an article by Geoff Mangum's PuttingZone, Putting Theorist and Instructor.
Back to top Go down
Joshua
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 570
Join date : 2010-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:18 am


I got my theory from this book: Golf Magazine - The best putting instruction book ever (The 10 brightest minds in putting show you the easy way to make the hole look bigger and sink more putts)

Mike shannon, Maggie Will, Dr Criag Farnsworth, Stan Utley, Scott Munroe, Mark Sweeney, Dr David Wright, David Edel, Mike Adams and Marius Flimalter


As quoted from the book.

"As a general rule you should use a lighter weight putter on slow greens and a heavier weight putter on fast greens"

"If you really have difficulty in controlling how far you hit your putts only then you are in need of a head weight change or different shaft flex."

"Manipulating weight is just a fast track to nailing the speed part of the putting triad, there is more to it, shaft flex plays a part too."

Anyway there is no right or wrong to this game..As long the method works just do it.


Smile


Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 47
Location : Wild Wild West

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:40 am

Denmeister wrote:
I recently played at Horizon Hills (JB) where the greens are the fastest amongst all the courses in JB. I had a horrific putting day there! The more holes I played, the less confident I became with my putting.

My home course, RJCC, on the contrary, has slower greens compared to HH.

After reading the Scotty Cameron Owners thread, it got me thinking and I wish to seek advice from you guys:

Will using a lighter putter help when putting on fast greens? And vice versa for slower greens?

My putter is quite heavy and seems to do well at RJ, but I totally cannot putt with it to save my life when playing at HH.



i still believe u need a few more games at HH with the same putter before u decide otherwise....

adaptation is better than retail theraphy....
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3469
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 41
Location : Live beside the King

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:49 am

Demi, u can seek to buy the "Edel" putter where they can do weight adjustable prior to any games. But the price is high.
Concept is one putter head for all greens.
I do have 9 putters and it's used for green speed rating of 2-10.
Find it difficult to bring all 9 to the game.

Hahahaha just kidding..
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:58 am

personally i think both RON and Joshua are not wrong.

RON's theory :

keeping stroke and head speed same, heavy putter will delivery more energy to the ball, because you need more energy to deliver same club head speed than a lighter head weight. So, more energy to the ball, the further the ball will go.

Joshua's theory :

By vary head weight, it actually vary the swing speed. Heavier head, lower club head speed, light weight, higher club head speed. Lower club head speed will thus generate less distance and helpful in fast green condition.

I believe it really depend on the equation on which parameter you wanna keep it constant.

In EDEL's approach, we believe lighter club head will generate more distance thus helpful in slow green and vise versa
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4972
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Always on the fairway

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:46 am

then does the Pros in PGA and European Tour adjust their putters prior to every tournament if they know the green is fast or slow?

Or do they adapt?


BTW... i LOOOVEE Lee Slattery's Scotty... its matt black newport..
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 2159
Join date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:11 pm

Wouldn't spending 30mins before the game practicing on the putting green prior to the game be a bit more useful?

In any case, HH greens are now running at 14-15 according to some of me golf operations colleagues who went to play there recently, and they should know their stuff. If that is the case, no real point getting a putter for that green speed because you will hardly, if ever, find those speeds on any other course you play at.

_________________
========================================
What's in the Bag

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4972
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Always on the fairway

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:13 pm

what if the practice green and the actual green are not the same speed?

yesterday i practice in Kranji.. the practice green is much faster than the actual greens..

kakakaka
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 2159
Join date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:25 pm

hehe like that bo pian ... complain to the club Razz

_________________
========================================
What's in the Bag

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:18 pm

andrew-golf wrote:
what if the practice green and the actual green are not the same speed?

yesterday i practice in Kranji.. the practice green is much faster than the actual greens..

kakakaka

haha...i guess that dun make much difference to me since i always 3 putt or 4 putt....haha !!!
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3469
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 41
Location : Live beside the King

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:23 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
andrew-golf wrote:
what if the practice green and the actual green are not the same speed?

yesterday i practice in Kranji.. the practice green is much faster than the actual greens..

kakakaka

haha...i guess that dun make much difference to me since i always 3 putt or 4 putt....haha !!!

Better than me. Usually 4-5 putts for me.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4972
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Always on the fairway

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:25 pm

Derek wrote:
hehe like that bo pian ... complain to the club Razz


wahahhaahaa
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 764
Join date : 2010-01-27
Age : 52
Location : Metro Manila, Philippines

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:40 pm

Denmeister wrote:
I recently played at Horizon Hills (JB) where the greens are the fastest amongst all the courses in JB. I had a horrific putting day there! The more holes I played, the less confident I became with my putting.

My home course, RJCC, on the contrary, has slower greens compared to HH.

After reading the Scotty Cameron Owners thread, it got me thinking and I wish to seek advice from you guys:

Will using a lighter putter help when putting on fast greens? And vice versa for slower greens?

My putter is quite heavy and seems to do well at RJ, but I totally cannot putt with it to save my life when playing at HH.

Hey,

I prefer a heavy putter than using a light head.
Becoz I am more of a "feel" putter.

One tip if the green is fast is to....

...walk while count how many steps from your ball marker to the cup

remember how many steps you do and the number of steps is how many "inch" of backswing you will do...when putting

for example, if you made 10step...it means u make a 10inch swing if its a regular green.

now if the green is fast. Just make a 5inch swing

depending on the lie....

if its a downhill putt lessen it..like 2.5inch
if its a uphill putt just add a half an inch or 1inch

for example, if you made a 5 step, so it shud be a 5iinch swing....
if its uphill make a 3inch swing if its an uphill putt

hope this helps
Back to top Go down
http://facebook.com/pnchung
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4972
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Always on the fairway

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:59 pm

what u just described seems like technical putting than feel putting...

clown clown clown clown
Back to top Go down
kuan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 34
Join date : 2010-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:11 pm

Tried step counting method but ended up with more putts because of wrong calculation. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4972
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Always on the fairway

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:14 pm

once i fitted for a putter at a Well known brand putter fitter..

i told him...

"im struggling with long putts.. how to guage the strength?""

what he did subsequently is ...

"this is air con room ah..."

He asked me to step away a short distance. den grab a golf ball and throw at him..

den he asked me... "how to u guage the strength to throw the ball to me from your distance"

i replied " i dun know.. jus feel lor.."

and he smiled at me... i got the answer...
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:16 pm

andrew-golf wrote:
once i fitted for a putter at a Well known brand putter fitter..

i told him...

"im struggling with long putts.. how to guage the strength?""

what he did subsequently is ...

"this is air con room ah..."

He asked me to step away a short distance. den grab a golf ball and throw at him..

den he asked me... "how to u guage the strength to throw the ball to me from your distance"

i replied " i dun know.. jus feel lor.."

and he smiled at me... i got the answer...

haha...tell me who leh...i also wanna go see him...

i might kill him with the golf ball...haha !!!
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4972
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Always on the fairway

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:18 pm

must fit putter... "Z........."...... i will always remember 2 important putting skill from that session.. what i mentioned is one of em..


Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:26 pm

andrew-golf wrote:
must fit putter... "Z........."...... i will always remember 2 important putting skill from that session.. what i mentioned is one of em..


Razz Razz Razz

there are always 2 class of thought...the 'Feel' approach and the 'Scientific' appraoch

regardless which one...most important is you must find it works well for you......
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4972
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Always on the fairway

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Absolutely...
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 5606
Join date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:30 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
andrew-golf wrote:
once i fitted for a putter at a Well known brand putter fitter..

i told him...

"im struggling with long putts.. how to guage the strength?""

what he did subsequently is ...

"this is air con room ah..."

He asked me to step away a short distance. den grab a golf ball and throw at him..

den he asked me... "how to u guage the strength to throw the ball to me from your distance"

i replied " i dun know.. jus feel lor.."

and he smiled at me... i got the answer...

haha...tell me who leh...i also wanna go see him...

i might kill him with the golf ball...haha !!!

snowy, useless you. I already gave you Slinger's tip for lag putting. it works but you must practice and get comfortable with it
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:48 pm

pushslice wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
andrew-golf wrote:
once i fitted for a putter at a Well known brand putter fitter..

i told him...

"im struggling with long putts.. how to guage the strength?""

what he did subsequently is ...

"this is air con room ah..."

He asked me to step away a short distance. den grab a golf ball and throw at him..

den he asked me... "how to u guage the strength to throw the ball to me from your distance"

i replied " i dun know.. jus feel lor.."

and he smiled at me... i got the answer...

haha...tell me who leh...i also wanna go see him...

i might kill him with the golf ball...haha !!!

snowy, useless you. I already gave you Slinger's tip for lag putting. it works but you must practice and get comfortable with it

haha..bro, it's not about the lag put lah

it's more about the ball throwing portion...just wonder if i can kill someone by just throwing the golf ball at him...haha

I have and am practicing what you have show me, especially since i know that tips is from Master Slinger...die die must learn that lah...haha..so dun call me useless..ok ?

afterall, i'm a 27 hcaper....i play badly, putt badly too.....haha !!

practise liao, whether works on green anot...untill now still no chance to prove it yet...haha !!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?   Today at 12:24 am

Back to top Go down
 
Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Putting: Heavier putter for slow greens / Lighter for Fast greens?
» Putting mat
» Zen Putting Invocation Student wins Thai Ladies Open
» Putting - What's your bias?
» Portable Indoor Putting Greens

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.