Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Range vs Course Play

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:18 pm

hi all,

I am sure many of us encountered this problem.

Can play well at range but when at the course, we played like we never practise at all. I know my game is there but somehow I cant bring it to the course. Any reason why? Perhaps some of the bros who have went through this and suceed in overcoming it can shed some light.. Thanks. Sad
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:32 pm

1. Psychological - there's nothing to lose on the range.
2. Landscape - it's always flat on the range and the ball is sitting nicely.
3. Peaceful - no friends are MF'ing you on the range.

The range is intended for you to practise your swing, highlight errors and correct problems. It shouldn't be a representation of how you're actually going to play on the course. Various factors (like those above) come into play.

I haven't set foot in a range in over a year. For what it's worth, I still suck on the course.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Frederick
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:58 pm

Plus our clubs slides with on the carpet... giving us a false impression we struck the ball. But if we were to strike it on the course... we would have hit on the ground.
Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:09 pm

Fred, I find your comment to be true. I seemed to struck my irons well at the range but when on course, I found I perputally duffed. Perhaps it is also pyschological as TS said; expecting the perfect shot each time...
Say I am able to hit 7i for 130m at the range, should I then use a 6i on the actual course (assuming all other conditions are neutral)?
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Technospaz wrote:
1. Psychological - there's nothing to lose on the range.
2. Landscape - it's always flat on the range and the ball is sitting nicely.
3. Peaceful - no friends are MF'ing you on the range

Pt 3 is so true, especially in Vegas bets.
pig
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:15 pm

You should also take into consideration the quality of range balls which, as you can tell, are harder than your normal golf balls. There are plenty of factors which affect how one performs on the range. I wouldn't use the range as a gauge of distance but I will say that it gives you a rough approximation of how far your shots go ...

... but in reality, I think it's safe to say that you can do 5-10m more Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:34 pm

TS,

Meaning when using actual ball, distance should be further?

So in this case, how can one improve their actual course performance if the range condition is not reflective of what we will face at the course?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Itsuki wrote:
TS,

Meaning when using actual ball, distance should be further?

I would suspect so. I think the quality of the golf balls has something to do with it. But, of course, this assumes that all things being equal, i.e. same swing, same speed etc.

Itsuki wrote:
So in this case, how can one improve their actual course performance if the range condition is not reflective of what we will face at the course?

I didn't say that it's not reflective. I just think that the range isn't a perfect reflection of actual course performance. It's a decent indicator of whether you're swinging properly but it shouldn't be the only indicator.

As always, these are my 2c.

Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:43 pm

My wild guess is that you duff on the golf course because of your setup. You probably dont have a reliable method to setup correctly to the ball consistently. If you are a seasoned golfer, your swing wouldn't vary a lot, but a subtle change in setup can have varying result.

At the range, the problem could be hidden because you could hit several balls without getting off the mat and give your body time to make little adjustments. Also, you most likely use the same club to hit many balls before changing club. On the golf course, you dont have the luxury.

What I did at the range is to try to get off the mat after each shot and start my pre-shot routine from scratch. I am really practicing 2 things: my pre-shot routine and my golf swing.

Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:50 pm

Itsuki, I think you need to identify what is your expectation in term of performance.
When you practice at range, what are you trying to achieve?
1) Distance?
or
2) Accuracy?
or both?
From your posting, it seem to me that you are looking at distance as a performance index.

I do not know about others but for me, I go range to adjust my swing. Whenever my swing gone hirewire, I will hit range to correct it.
Distance wise, I don't really find there are much different but generally, range ball hit shorter than average retail ("actual") ball by around 10%
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:10 pm

For a moment I tot Course play was COSPLAY... hehe...

Sorry TS, OT a bit..
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:11 pm

Begbie wrote:

Sorry TS, OT a bit..

For some, it's intercourse play.

Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:18 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Begbie wrote:

Sorry TS, OT a bit..

For some, it's intercourse play.

That only applies for some selective pairing duos when I played against them in OCC last sun.... it was evident with the smirk on their face after the game...

tsk tsk.... affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:22 pm

not again!!!!!!! begbie...you must be on heat to keep thinking in that direction.
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:33 pm

BabyCroc wrote:
not again!!!!!!! begbie...you must be on heat to keep thinking in that direction.

come on.. why so sensitive.. not talking about you lahhh...haha
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Yet to meet someone who plays well on the course, and sucks on the driving range! So, what you are experiencing is extremely natural and is the natural progression of your game ...

The driving range, apart from practicing, is for sorting out flaws in technique and fixing such issues.

Therefore, once you are confident of your swing at the range, a player moves to the course. The issues on the course are then taken back to the range, sorted out, and then you return to the course and encounter other issues ... the cycle continues

If you are suffering from duff shots on the course .. take that thought back to the range .. and sort it out ... there are a number of reasons for duff shots and even more drills and solutions!

Enjoy the journey, as there's a really long and winding road ahead Beer
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:57 pm

TourSwing wrote:
Yet to meet someone who plays well on the course, and sucks on the driving range! So, what you are experiencing is extremely natural and is the natural progression of your game ...

Duval S comes to mind..... though he will refute that

he is such a BAD BOY.....

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Duval's policy about driving ranges is simple.

God gives us a specific number of good shots per week. If you use them up in the driving range, you'll have nothing left to use while on the course. So, why waste time exhausting your good shots there when you can use them on the course instead? Wink

Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:06 pm

At the range, i usually practise to know my average distance and to tune my swing and ingrain the right muscle memory into the swing. However, the next day at the course, I cant repeat what I practise. This is what frustrates me the most.

I guess what I am trying to say here is I wish I can repeat my swing at the range on the actual course.

So the bros out there does not experience what I m going through???
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:06 pm

slinger wrote:
TourSwing wrote:

Duval S comes to mind..... though he will refute that

he is such a BAD BOY.....

Very Happy

ha ha ... Duval has ulterior motives for being on the range! Proof: He doesnt bring his clubs with him Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:11 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Duval's policy about driving ranges is simple.

God gives us a specific number of good shots per week. If you use them up in the driving range, you'll have nothing left to use while on the course. So, why waste time exhausting your good shots there when you can use them on the course instead? Wink

Haa.... Good one.... Maybe I should do just that.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Itsuki wrote:
At the range, i usually practise to know my average distance and to tune my swing and ingrain the right muscle memory into the swing.

Excellent!

Itsuki wrote:

However, the next day at the course, I cant repeat what I practise. This is what frustrates me the most.

Have you been able to identify what precisely goes wrong with your swing on the course? What are the errors .. e.g. duff, top, slice, hook, etc? So if you are duffing ... what do you do on the range that ensures you don't duff ... because the range mat will not penalize you for a duff shot and will disguise it rather well!!

Itsuki wrote:

I guess what I am trying to say here is I wish I can repeat my swing at the range on the actual course.

So the bros out there does not experience what I m going through???
I recently went through a swing change. Despite perfecting it on the range, I couldn't replicate it on the course. I continued to practice ... gradually I managed to keep my new swing for 5 holes, then 9 holes, then 13 holes and finally 18 holes.

There is no substitute for practice ... keep building muscle memory .. and keep going on the course ... you should see improvement , albeit slow progress.

However, do ensure you have identified the swing flaw, and taken appropriate measures to sort it out!!!
Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Tourswing

Take my yesterday game for example. I have high tendency to duff my iron shots, basically about 75% of the time. When I recalled my range practices, I dont experienced duffed shots as much. If what you said about the range mat disgusing the effect of duffed shots, how can one know whether he duffed the shot??

One thing I do concur with you, usually the 1st few holes is okay. After that, the trouble starts to emerge and it can only get worse becos then the tendency to look up early starts... haa......
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:58 pm

Itsuki, a very easy way to fix your problem is just to practice at the course instead the range. I think the problem might be psychological and technical. One you are out at the course for quite a number of time your emotion tends to stabilize and you are more relax.
The second problem can be addressed by observing club impact at range. Whether you are actually duffing or hitting the ball first. Clue is on the impact sound. If you hear a thud sound before impact the you've definitely duff the shot. Try to listen to the impact sound of a good player and compare to yours. Can also put your self in camera and observe replay to see if you have actually hitting the ball properly at the range
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Range vs Course Play   Today at 6:32 pm

Back to top Go down

Range vs Course Play
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next