Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Self-Reprimanding on the Course

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:55 pm

I wonder if anyone here self-reprimand for silly mistakes that resulted in undesirable shots. I thought this only happen when you are a new golfer but with time it is still happening to experienced golfers, like me. So it seems I have much to learn from this episode. Sometimes ego got in the way.

For example, I once played in MBGC. My tee shot ended up in a bunker taller than me (well, almost). As the bunkers there are quite high, my ball is quite close to the front lip with only about 1m of space to hit out. Instead I tried to be smart, thinking I can hit the ball out from bunker to at least about 30m away. Horrors after executing the shot. The ball hit the solid wall of defence. I tried again as this time the ball is about 1.5m away from the lip.

More space I thought, so I should be able to get it out this time. I hit and horrors, again. Yes, you can say I am stupid or naive. I am truly humbled. I should have hit side way to the left and take a bogey or at most a double bogey.

I ended up with a double par. My God. And all these was because I was fuming from the 3 bunker shots to get the ball out from it. But the final conclusion was:

1) I was too naive and believe I can do it (which I now realise I can't).
2) I was stubborn and have too much ego to accept a higher score (at most a
double bogey).
3) I lose control of my emotions over that stupid shots and subject myself to
self-reprimanding. As a result, I deservedly ended up with a much higher
score than it actually should be.
4) My playing partners also suffer as a result of my losing control of emotions
which, directly or indirectly affected their game, for which I am truly sorry.

I have since that experience tried to be a better player and control my emotions. If it has to be a double bogey, so be it. I will live for a better score the next hole.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:10 pm

here's a twist

example 1
I was in a forest, have option to cheong between the trees but high risk. or I can escape punching sideways with lower risk. then I managed to control ego and decided to play smart and take the safe way. I executed the shot, but hit too hard, too clean. ball lunges all the way to the rough, on the other side Stretcher

example 2
150m from a hard sloping green which was protected by bunkers right left and behind. Decided to lay up 130m and play safe, aim the front green with hopes of one chip and one putt. Proceded to duff the shot. Now since opponent already on the green, had no choice but to attack. ended up on the wrong side of the green with a fast downslope putt. pale

Conclusion: even playing the smart way or with good course management, if you cant execute your shots, youre even more screwed ROFL
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:21 pm

Normally I don't reprimand myself...I just let go my loud and penetrating hyena laughter...it helps to mindF* my opponents to duff or top their Nex shot
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:30 pm

wait til you play with Slinger...he always f... himself for shots not pin high but landed 5 ft away from pin...haiz...

Drawbias never reprimand himself but psycho himself...hehehehe
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:31 pm

if its a casual game why not...if u made it it will be a good memory (and some talking material) if not you just made a higher score.....and still ended up a good story to tell....
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:05 pm

after a few rounds in MBGC bunkers, i have learned to take my medicine....

i have never, NEVER, play a round that i dun have a bad shot, so dun be too hard on yourself.... be calm, recollect your focus n try to make the next shot counts

if u screw up the hole, just stay calm, dun let the double par sink into your head, walk to next tee box thinking u are starting from hole 1 again.... maintain focus
then good shots will follow

its ok to make mistakes.... but we must learn from these mistakes to make us better, be it golf or life in general

i reprimand myself all the time on the golf course but i dun get too
emotional.... i just tell myself my opponents will self destruct before
the end of the game
Back to top Go down
drawbias
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:17 pm

I don't reprimand bcos I am too forgetful .... But I do try to recall my good shots ... Hehe

When u play with kian or 4dtoto, they are very helpful in reminding u on your mistake .... "3 foot putt u know, can go in or not???" Nbzzzz..
Back to top Go down
drawbias
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:27 pm

slinger said "don't let double par sink into your head ...." What he meant is don't let his opponent's double par sink into his head ... b'cos he can't stop laughing all the way to the bank!!
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:02 pm

Bo Ji Pak Si Mi Golf.. Cheong lar.. dont try dunno..
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:06 pm

Thank goodness I managed to keep a calmer head nowadays. Peace
Back to top Go down
nismo88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:08 pm

I used to play competitive tennis n was train/taught to forget the last bad shot as quickly as possible. Better if can get over it b4 the next point. I feel that this is good to apply to other sport such as golf.
I use to also whack in the bunker till the ball is out but now if I hit a bad bunker shot n ball not out. Quickly stand back. Quickly think y mis hit just now... Do not straight away get ready n hit the ball the same way again.. Normally my ball will still stay in the bunker or the shot will not be a good one. Have a quick think bout last shot n try to think of how to hit ball out slightly different Fr last shot.. Normally that's how I get the ball out if I hit a bad bunker shot n ball still stay in bunker... My 2 cts only..
Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:34 pm

Nismo,

Wah, so chim.. Never hear to share this philosophy with me leh.. Or you always waiting for me to lose my head so you can win my $$??? ROFL

Drawbias, nismo is our kaki for 23rd game... You will love his swing.. Long long like yours... Laughing
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:43 pm

drawbias wrote:
I don't reprimand bcos I am too forgetful .... But I do try to recall my good shots ... Hehe

When u play with kian or 4dtoto, they are very helpful in reminding u on your mistake .... "3 foot putt u know, can go in or not???" Nbzzzz..

train mental ma Superman
Back to top Go down
drawbias
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:46 pm

MindF does not equate to 25 la kian....
Back to top Go down
drawbias
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:53 pm

Itsuki wrote:
Nismo,

Wah, so chim.. Never hear to share this philosophy with me leh.. Or you always waiting for me to lose my head so you can win my $$??? ROFL

Drawbias, nismo is our kaki for 23rd game... You will love his swing.. Long long like yours... Laughing

Like that must get stroke liao ..... Me not long leh ..... Plenty of long n accurate gentlement hiding in this forum ..... aka season buaya flower
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:55 pm

ahhh so bro itsuki is poresia's frend!
Back to top Go down
nismo88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:01 am

[quote="Itsuki"
[/quote]
Bro Itsuki, dun like that lay.. I think yr driver is longer than mine now... Bunker shot zai zai... Or shld I say yr Tempo very nice now.. lol!
Golf is a sport.. So I believe oso have mental game.. So must quickly forget bad shots n reorg in the head quickly b4 taking next shot... See u 23..
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:47 am

TDO wrote:

I ended up with a double par. My God. And all these was because I was fuming from the 3 bunker shots to get the ball out from it. But the final conclusion was:

1) I was too naive and believe I can do it (which I now realise I can't).
2) I was stubborn and have too much ego to accept a higher score (at most a
double bogey).
3) I lose control of my emotions over that stupid shots and subject myself to
self-reprimanding. As a result, I deservedly ended up with a much higher
score than it actually should be.
4) My playing partners also suffer as a result of my losing control of emotions
which, directly or indirectly affected their game, for which I am truly sorry.

I have since that experience tried to be a better player and control my emotions. If it has to be a double bogey, so be it. I will live for a better score the next hole.

Cheers!

Interesting story, TDO. I'm sure many of us can relate.

The emotion has to come out. Losing your temper at yourself is fine. Whack your club on the ground, throw a club, etc, is just an outlet to let it out harmlessly. Shouldn't affect others. Different from losing your temper AT someone.

I had an important chip in a game of sixes, my partner gone already, he putted downhil and the ball rolled out of the green. I asked the flightmates where the ball will roll after landing. Damn fast green, faster and much trickier than HH. They helpfully showed me and described the slope to me, pointing the exact landing spot. Tension was mounting. I made a joke, in view of all my previous chips not landing where I wanted to, "Somehow I think all that useful information will not be relevant." Cracked everybody up. Tension gone. Made a pretty decent chip and made par and won that hole.

Tension is a swing killer for oneself, and a mood killer for everybody else.

It's a game, meant to be fun, so lighten up and have some fun. I would be laughing at myself thinking I could have made that shot. And after the game, spend about 1-2 hours practicing that shot so that I'll be ready next time.

Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Self-Reprimanding on the Course   Today at 1:19 am

Back to top Go down

Self-Reprimanding on the Course
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1