Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Up and Down from around the green

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1004
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Dubai

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:01 pm

Duval_S wrote:
not sure if this is helpful and relevant...but what I found helpful to me are:

1. i try to go with lower trajectory shot to the green...even at 100m

2. for around the green, I de-loft my club, coz my tot is this help to take it clean off a decent lie. If bad lie, i just say a short prayer before shot.


ps: my prayer is not for good shot if bad lie...but to not activate my vulgarities....so far so good

Coming from the short-game guru himself, of course this is helpful and relevant.

Yes to de-lofting the club ... but when you say lower trajectory ... does that mean you chip with even a 8I ot 9I from just off the green if that gives the lowest possible trajectory? Or do you just de-loft the wedge?
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1004
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Dubai

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:03 pm

jhan18 wrote:
In order to perform a chip shot to the best of a golfer's ability, one must:
1. Understand your golf club
2. Have a good grasp of basic technique, fundamentals
3. Practice various shots with different clubs
4. Have a solid routine
5. Trust and execute

Thx .. noted .. and will work on all of the above!
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1004
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Dubai

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:05 pm

pushslice wrote:
jhan was my coach too. I broke 90 under him. Just by learning the fundamentals to scramble for par and bogey from around the green more often since I rarely get GIR.

shorthitter is my current coach; he helped me instill good practice and make things even simpler so I don't have to think so much.

golf is much more enjoyable when you don't worry where your ball lands around the green bcoz youre confident of your chipping and maybe make one or two putts thereafter.

bro tourswing, book an hour with pro. we need a keen eye to check our mistakes.

Hogan said the secret is in the dirt - this is so true with short game. Because for ball striking we generally practice on rubber mat. but really for short game, there is no other way but hitting the chipping area.


So PS , when are you breaking 80 Very Happy

Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1004
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Dubai

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:07 pm

Everyone has a theory or two ... this may work for some!

Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:22 pm

Quote :
TourSwing wrote:
Duval_S wrote:
not sure if this is helpful and relevant...but what I found helpful to me are:

1. i try to go with lower trajectory shot to the green...even at 100m

2. for around the green, I de-loft my club, coz my tot is this help to take it clean off a decent lie. If bad lie, i just say a short prayer before shot.


ps: my prayer is not for good shot if bad lie...but to not activate my vulgarities....so far so good

Coming from the short-game guru himself, of course this is helpful and relevant.

Yes to de-lofting the club ... but when you say lower trajectory ... does that mean you chip with even a 8I ot 9I from just off the green if that gives the lowest possible trajectory? Or do you just de-loft the wedge?


pls...short game is something i appreciate much....as to guru...that will be the div 1 players.

what i meant by trajectory is I kinda 'sweep' the ball rather then go under the ball...for direction, I try to ensure that I finish my swing at the waist pointing at the target line.

but pls take this with a pinch of salt...coz I am a seasoned beginner only
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 5606
Join date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:01 pm

TourSwing wrote:
pushslice wrote:
jhan was my coach too. I broke 90 under him. Just by learning the fundamentals to scramble for par and bogey from around the green more often since I rarely get GIR.


So PS , when are you breaking 80 Very Happy


to put things in perspective...relative to the div 1/premier players, I still suck! Laughing before coaching, i could not scramble at all. Now, i can do it a few times over a round.

but to reduce another 10 strokes, our ball striking better be good lah. That means 6-8 GIRs a round, 6-8 up&downs a round and avg 2 putt per hole. Wait long long liao..

more likely I'll be a seasoned beginner like Uncle Duval What a Face
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1004
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Dubai

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:40 am

pushslice wrote:
TourSwing wrote:
pushslice wrote:
jhan was my coach too. I broke 90 under him. Just by learning the fundamentals to scramble for par and bogey from around the green more often since I rarely get GIR.


So PS , when are you breaking 80 Very Happy


to put things in perspective...relative to the div 1/premier players, I still suck! Laughing before coaching, i could not scramble at all. Now, i can do it a few times over a round.

but to reduce another 10 strokes, our ball striking better be good lah. That means 6-8 GIRs a round, 6-8 up&downs a round and avg 2 putt per hole. Wait long long liao..

more likely I'll be a seasoned beginner like Uncle Duval What a Face

I hear you!

Btw with 6-8 up&downs, avg 2 putt per hole is really bad affraid
Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 296
Join date : 2009-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:42 am

I guess for many of us, it is more convenient to stick to one favorite club coz it is hard to bring so many clubs to the green.. Esp so when it is buggy on track.. Personally i stick my faithful SW. My friend once told me to control the distance using the length of my backswing and follow thru. Too technical, I'm more of a visual and feel player. I visualise how much strength i need to reach my landing spot and just go with my feel.
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1004
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Dubai

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:08 pm

Itsuki wrote:
I guess for many of us, it is more convenient to stick to one favorite club coz it is hard to bring so many clubs to the green.. Esp so when it is buggy on track.. Personally i stick my faithful SW. My friend once told me to control the distance using the length of my backswing and follow thru. Too technical, I'm more of a visual and feel player. I visualise how much strength i need to reach my landing spot and just go with my feel.

ya ... I look ridiculous running around with 9I, PW, 50, 56, 60 & putter!!!
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1004
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Dubai

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:14 pm

Duval_S wrote:

pls...short game is something i appreciate much....as to guru...that will be the div 1 players.

what i meant by trajectory is I kinda 'sweep' the ball rather then go under the ball...for direction, I try to ensure that I finish my swing at the waist pointing at the target line.

but pls take this with a pinch of salt...coz I am a seasoned beginner only

You are a genius, your post got me thinking and ultimately made me realize that "too much" shaft lean is a bad thing! It was causing me to come in too steep ... and negating ALL of the clubs bounce! Thanks to a slight adjustment , my margin for error has multiplied!
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1004
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Dubai

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:36 pm

"There are two things that must be struck with every chip or pitch: the ball and the ground. And preferably in that order! This is where understanding and using club bounce comes in. Most golfers know that a chip or pitch must be struck with a descending blow. The dilemma that most golfers face is how to hit down without getting the sharp leading edge of the club stuck in the ground. For the majority of short game shots, the handle should beat the club head to the ball, similar to the full swing, but to a far lesser degree. If the handle gets too far forward, the bounce is removed and the club will dig too much. I find that golfers struggling with their short game are often alternating between sticking the club in the ground and blading shots over the green. This is where using the bounce correctly becomes vital: Think of it as an insurance policy that, when used correctly, allows for an acceptable result even with the ground being struck before the ball."

- AndrewRiceGolf
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Today at 5:40 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Up and Down from around the green
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» COMPETITIONS - 5 Nike Method Putters and Ria Bintan Green Fee Vouchers Giveaway!!
» Yamaha Grizzly Handguards+Mount ~ Green ~ Slighty Used
» coolant...OAT, green, red, silicate free?
» Green Monster Biuld
» How lah......downslope lie to green?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.