Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
idrahus
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 124
Join date : 2010-05-11
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:51 pm

Saw the news just now reporting abt a golfer whose car was stolen at a restaurant near Permas Jaya. Lost his Mitshubishi Colt and all his golf stuff. Not sure if he is a fellow forumer. Feel sorry for him.
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 788
Join date : 2010-04-20
Location : North 'Gotham City'

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:58 pm

Here's the article:
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1159760/1/.html

Felt sorry for the victim too. Malaysia; OF COURSE BOLEH!!!!

It is always better to be safe than sorry lor. I dunno about others, I always do the following:
- use a steering wheel lock
- park at a corner lot (whenever possible)
- head in 1st and then full lock, facing away from the kerb
(why? so if they wanna tow, at least they have to 'bash' through the kerb)
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 390
Join date : 2011-03-16
Age : 33
Location : Punggol

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:00 pm

msia.... what's new.....that's a reason why I'm not in Msia....

Msia.. apa pun boleh...
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 10361
Join date : 2009-12-19
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:06 pm

Scary.....have to take all precaution.

e.g. bring passport everywhere you go, steering lock car.....etc...
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1103
Join date : 2010-09-19
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:36 pm

always carry passport with you on foreign country.. well, for me that is. I never left my pocket hehehe..
Back to top Go down
mojojojo
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 367
Join date : 2009-10-12
Location : East

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:56 pm

asahi wrote:
Scary.....have to take all precaution.

e.g. bring passport everywhere you go, steering lock car.....etc...

Does the steering lock helps? Thot of buying 1 but don't know which type to buy.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2702
Join date : 2009-12-11
Location : golf club graveyard

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:26 pm

actually the only lock that is useful is the brake pedal lock.
steering lock you can still use a hack saw and cut the steering wheel as it is not made of hardened steel like the steeringlock itself.
Back to top Go down
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 464
Join date : 2011-06-05
Location : East

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:31 pm

What made me felt sick was that the people at the restaurant reported saw two men trying to break into the car, only during the 2nd try did they managed to hijack the car... i dun want to say this but it seems like a shady joint for Singaporeans. I will avoid that place if i know where it is...
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1158
Join date : 2009-07-01
Age : 48
Location : Little Red Dot

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:44 am

Just to add on to Batman's recommendations, it should be parked head in and fully steered to either side. In doing so, there is not way it can be towed.

But then again, not often they will tow your car away since it can be easily broken in. Heard this syndicates have master key to most vehicles, and they have electronic devices that can switch off car alarms.

Personally, I usually just drive in to play golf and come home. I really don't suggest stopping to have meals regardless of how delicious and cheap the food is.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1997
Join date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:04 am

Think like a thief - which car will you target and why. And do the opposite.

As a Malaysian, subconsciously I have accumulated these precautions.

1. drive a dirty looking crappy looking car. thieves target new cars they can sell quickly. My car looks like crap, but the dents, peeling paint, messy interior are all carefully created as a security precaution to turn off any thief.
2. don't keep anything valuable in the car. or keep so much junk that the thieves will avoid the car. my car looks like a messy store room of a golf storage warehouse. even I can't find anything I want in there sometimes.
3. if I am in a strange new area, I park where I can see the car at all times, and keep an eye on it constantly
4. I avoid deserted parking spots at all cost
5. I self valet park near the main entrance of hotels, restaurants, etc whenever possible.
6. Most of all, I choose where I go, avoiding notorious areas.

The neighbourhood of the location is a big clue.

A friend staying in a cheep and cheerful condo bought a brand new 5-series when the model was very hot on the stolen car market; he came home one day and a few guys were waiting for his car at his condo parking lot. There was nothing he could do. He has since moved to a much more highly secured condo in an expensive branded development and bought a Ferrari. The Ferrari is still there.

I feel for the owner; hope the insurance will cover most of it.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1997
Join date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:08 am

nutty88 wrote:
Just to add on to Batman's recommendations, it should be parked head in and fully steered to either side. In doing so, there is not way it can be towed.

But then again, not often they will tow your car away since it can be easily broken in. Heard this syndicates have master key to most vehicles, and they have electronic devices that can switch off car alarms.

Personally, I usually just drive in to play golf and come home. I really don't suggest stopping to have meals regardless of how delicious and cheap the food is.

In the case of this article, looks like the thieves targetted the car because it was small and easy to break into.

If the cheap food is in a dodgy neighbourhood, best to avoid. The singapore number plate is like a magnet.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2255
Join date : 2011-10-02
Age : 60
Location : West

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:23 am

No wonder some of my ex-golfing kakis prefer not to drive and rely on me and another colleague to drive regularly even though some have cars of their own. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:24 am

It's just a case of bad luck. I doubt they would target foreign cars. They were likely going after cars which were either fancy or easy to sell. The fact that it had a Singapore plate is a separate issue altogether.

It also boils down to knowing where to park. Ironically, some people (esp. those from abroad) don't realize that parking your car in an alleyway is not safe. I recall reading about this chap who got carjacked and assaulted when he went shopping at Jayajusco or somewhere similar. It turned out that he parked his car in the alleyway behind the shops and was heading back late at night. Seriously, even locals don't do that. (So I echo Lee's comments - spot on, mate!)

I also use a steering lock. I don't think it will prevent car thieves from stealing the car if they really want to. I doubt there's such a lock which is 100% unbreakable (and I've seen some vids where a thief can dismantle a car lock in a few minutes without much fuss or force). What the lock does is to deter thieves. They may ultimately be able to break the lock but seeing one in the car may (hopefully) put them off trying, e.g. between the car which has a lock and the car next to it which doesn't - they'd go for the latter.

Lastly, this is unfortunate luck. It seems like the chap in the story goes into JB pretty often and hasn't had much problems. This time, he wasn't so lucky. I guess it's a good reminder to us all that we need to be careful and not make any assumptions.

my 2c.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 47
Location : Wild Wild West

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:58 am

Lee36328 wrote:
Think like a thief - which car will you target and why. And do the opposite.

As a Malaysian, subconsciously I have accumulated these precautions.

1. drive a dirty looking crappy looking car. thieves target new cars they can sell quickly. My car looks like crap, but the dents, peeling paint, messy interior are all carefully created as a security precaution to turn off any thief.




do not fit the profile of a miura owner leh......

flower



just kidding......
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1997
Join date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:09 am

slinger wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
Think like a thief - which car will you target and why. And do the opposite.

As a Malaysian, subconsciously I have accumulated these precautions.

1. drive a dirty looking crappy looking car. thieves target new cars they can sell quickly. My car looks like crap, but the dents, peeling paint, messy interior are all carefully created as a security precaution to turn off any thief.




do not fit the profile of a miura owner leh......

flower



just kidding......

Camouflage man. Laughing

Back to top Go down
dunlookback
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 335
Join date : 2009-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:18 am

Hmm.. I have a similiar experience. I parked my car in a upmarket shopping mall in KL and took precaution like head in, near security, bright lighted and crowded place. In the end my boot was still broken in, gone are my laptops and my precious golf set which till now, after trying more than 8 sets of irons, I still cannot get the same feeling back..

Guess its really luck sometimes. BTW On Kee the resturant mentioned is not really shady, it is pretty famous with good food at good price. Feel sorry such incidents have to happen in a place where majority are trying to be law abidding citizens and some minority black sheep just kiil it..

Bless all law abidding citizens that law will make those black sheeps life tougher..
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org/t25292-tour-issue-irons-taylormade-r
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1997
Join date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:36 am

dunlookback wrote:
Hmm.. I have a similiar experience. I parked my car in a upmarket shopping mall in KL and took precaution like head in, near security, bright lighted and crowded place. In the end my boot was still broken in, gone are my laptops and my precious golf set which till now, after trying more than 8 sets of irons, I still cannot get the same feeling back..

Guess its really luck sometimes. BTW On Kee the resturant mentioned is not really shady, it is pretty famous with good food at good price. Feel sorry such incidents have to happen in a place where majority are trying to be law abidding citizens and some minority black sheep just kiil it..

Bless all law abidding citizens that law will make those black sheeps life tougher..

There is a device which can detect notebooks in a car, including in the boot. Not safe to leave notebooks in the car, even unseen in the trunk.

In the case of the article, it sounds like it was a crime of opportunity, no a syndicate car theft crime.

If we take the precautions discussed, each measure reduces the statistical probability of being targeted by such criminals. Between an easy mark and a complicated riskier one, same potential reward, the criminal will always go for the easy mark.
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1324
Join date : 2009-07-05
Age : 35
Location : Sometimes Serangoon Sometimes India

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:56 am

Best to park within ur sight durin makan.
My fren car kenna broken in.
Though shop owner saw but dun dare to notify cos they r afraid tat the gang will come back their shop to revenge in future..
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2255
Join date : 2011-10-02
Age : 60
Location : West

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:59 am

Considering the high crime rate (LKY's version of Cowboy Town) in JB, is there a device that can be installed in the car and linked to your HP that will trigger a very high pitch alarm to scare off the carjackers. Or some motion monitoring device that can be trigger off an alarm to frighten off the carjackers.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1158
Join date : 2009-07-01
Age : 48
Location : Little Red Dot

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:25 pm

TDO wrote:
Considering the high crime rate (LKY's version of Cowboy Town) in JB, is there a device that can be installed in the car and linked to your HP that will trigger a very high pitch alarm to scare off the carjackers. Or some motion monitoring device that can be trigger off an alarm to frighten off the carjackers.

You can actually plant a GSM SIM card in your card to track the whereabout in case it is stolen. You can also send SMS to switch off the engine, etc....
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2255
Join date : 2011-10-02
Age : 60
Location : West

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:28 pm

You can actually plant a GSM SIM card in your card to track the whereabout in case it is stolen. You can also send SMS to switch off the engine, etc.... [/quote]
How and where can it be done?
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 889
Join date : 2009-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:47 pm

There are so called 2-way alarms (eg. SPY) that will alert u if broken into but only if u r within the frequency. I'm using a SPY & supposed to remotely cut off engine too... Again must be within freq reach...
Back to top Go down
DK
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 243
Join date : 2011-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:46 pm

what about cars with immobilizers? no use?
Back to top Go down
ethee
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 280
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:46 pm

mojojojo wrote:
asahi wrote:
Scary.....have to take all precaution.

e.g. bring passport everywhere you go, steering lock car.....etc...

Does the steering lock helps? Thot of buying 1 but don't know which type to buy.

You can check out Autobacs ; they have a good offer now. $19.90 for a steering lock that can be used in 3 ways (steering lock, handbrake or foot brake lock).

Just bought one this evening.

Cheers,
ethee
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 47
Location : Wild Wild West

PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:49 pm

u need alarm like this......


Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya   Today at 7:53 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Golfers car stolen at restaurant near Permas Jaya
» Permas Jaya Golf Club @ johor
» Permas jaya night golf?
» New join!
» Which club in Johor should I join?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.