Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

How do you swing...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CoRN
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: How do you swing...   Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:12 pm

Just want to ask most of you how much strength you put into each hand when you swing. Initially when I first started golf, I would basically relax both grips and swing the clubs through disregarding which is my dominant hand. It has been 4 years now that I've swinging a golf club and I recently encounter situation where my coach asked me to put more emphasis on my dominant hand when I swing. Recently when I tried his method, I noticed that my ball flight is tighter and more controllable in terms of shot shaping. However, I do lose distance by doing that.

Appreciate all comments...
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: How do you swing...   Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:18 pm

I have a tendency to grip too hard, so i often have to tell myself to relax my grip and waggle the club to ensure that my forearms muscles are fully relax and my hand grip is approximately on a scale of 10 about 3 to 4. Its easier with the wedges and irons but gets harder with longer clubs like 5iron to driver.

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: How do you swing...   Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:20 pm

What are the expected changes when asked to put more force on your dominant hand?

Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you swing...   Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:21 pm

I am a relax type. So grip and hand are soft. It holds the club firmly but soft at the same time. I let gravity and the club mass do the most of the work in conjuction with the body turn. The hand is practically passive.

The only exception is when I want to hit it really hard then right hand release more aggresive (more like a push down while releasing), but I find this to be inconsistent (easily snap hook the ball), so I don't do this much nowadays. (Up the club by 1 step is so much easier and more consistent why bother).

Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: How do you swing...   Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:25 pm

another note is I have passive hands on the downswing, on the backswing i just need to remind myself to set the club early so that I don't take the club too much back as I get into all sorts of trouble if i have too long of a backswing(hips rotate too much, clubs get across the line, reverse pivot,etc).

But my swing is more old-school and i use my lower body and my hip turn to initiate the whole swing, you should understand what I mean, my hips fire first and hands are always lagging behind.

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
CoRN
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you swing...   Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:26 pm

wilkang wrote:
What are the expected changes when asked to put more force on your dominant hand?

At first when I consciously put more emphasis on my right hand (my dominant hand), i tend to pull the shot. Later on I try to visualise how drive a squash ball down the line, the ball flight corrected right away.
Back to top Go down
tan_hong_wee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you swing...   Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:12 pm

i am quite a beginner in golfing, but i have an experience golfing kahki to show me the ropes.

i tend to have a weak grip and i am using my arm strength rather than my twist to hit the ball. Which after observing my lahko for sometime, i realise it's more consistent and his shot is more straight!

I guess experience showed but still i feel that after all the coaching from him, i realised that using more of the strength in your arm rather than the twist will cause your shots to be inconsistent and also the direction of your shot.

By just using the twisting of the hips can give you the distance and also the accuracy.

As i do play other sports as well therefore i feel that some of the knowledge here and there helped me a lil...
Apologies if i do sound like a noob, but just my 2 cents of thought.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you swing...   Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:59 am

CoRN wrote:
Just want to ask most of you how much strength you put into each hand when you swing. Initially when I first started golf, I would basically relax both grips and swing the clubs through disregarding which is my dominant hand. It has been 4 years now that I've swinging a golf club and I recently encounter situation where my coach asked me to put more emphasis on my dominant hand when I swing. Recently when I tried his method, I noticed that my ball flight is tighter and more controllable in terms of shot shaping. However, I do lose distance by doing that.

Appreciate all comments...

Hey,

AJ Bonar is the Golf coach who teaches Golfers to used their Dominant hand. His, AJ Bonar, theory is quite revolutionary. Because most Golf teachers in our country, would teach Golfers to used their left hands.

But AJ Bonar using dominant hand is a better theory. Which is....

#!) Athletes like baseball players, specially pitchers ; or Tennis players who are right handed use their right hand to do what they do Best. They do not used their left hand to throw the ball or hit the ball.

So by using your dominant hand, you could easily learn to hit your golf ball.

Last year, I underwent a "tweak" in my golf swing when I AJ Bonar son, named Dave Bonar, came to our country and taught me AJ Bonar swing style. And also, I got my Golf coach to teach me AJ Bonar golf swing theory further more.

Yes I noticed I lose "a few distance" on my irons but I liked it because I am hitting the ball well and straighter.

I liked my golf swing nowadays as compared to my past golf swing which is inconsistent and mostly hooked my ball.
Back to top Go down
http://facebook.com/pnchung
billi
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you swing...   Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:13 am

as for me dont thk 2 much .chk distance aim for a safe landing green take the right club than shoot .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you swing...   Today at 10:40 pm

Back to top Go down

How do you swing...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1