Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

 minor car accident - need advise

Go down 
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Posts : 1400
Join date : 2009-07-27
Location : Jurong

PostSubject: minor car accident - need advise   Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:25 pm

Dear bros

I was involved in a car accident a week ago with a taxi at river valley. 50-50 fault and my driver side door was dented. His bumper was dented.

After the accident, we discussed abt private settlement but since its a taxi, his claims for lost of income during repair etc was too much. So we decided to go claim separately.

I went to IDAC the next day to do the neccesary paperwork.

The car was my friend's. I left the country the day after and he went to his usual workshop for the repairs. In the end they changed a new door for him and the bill came up to 1700 SGD.


1) Are we to pay the workshop in cash as he has prepared and submitted the claim to insurance? its a third party insurance from our side. Is this the normal procedure? bearing in mind that the taxi wld surely claim against our insurance

2) I heard from friends that if we were to bring the car to an authorised workshop, then we do not have to pay for the repairs and the workshop wld claim direct from the insurance company. The insurance is with NTUC.

3) and if I am to pay for the repairs now, we wld then be waiting for the claim to go through, therefore the insurance wld pay out for the repairs to the workshop? And I can get my cash back? How long is this process going to take? might be years I heard, effectively meaning the 1700sgd might not be seen again for a long time?

Any advise wld be greatly appreciated.

Back to top Go down

Posts : 2158
Join date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: minor car accident - need advise   Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Hi Bro,

3rd party insurance means that the policy will pay for the damage to the taxi. However, if you manage to succesfully claim against the taxi, then the taxi's insurance will pay for the damage to the door.

For point 2) that normally applies to comprehensive insurance whereby you are claiming against your own policy or some 3rd party insurance whereby it is clear cut you are not at fault, e.g. somebody hit your parked car.

In this case, I think you don't really have a choice but to pay for the damage to your friend's car and hope for the best. Write off the $1700 and if it comes back, treat it like a bonus.

What's in the Bag

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Posts : 3391
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: minor car accident - need advise   Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:51 pm

From my limited knowledge, what I know is that if your friend's car was insured under 3rd party insurance, you have to bear the full cost of damaged on your own car out of your own pocket. If you are 100% sure it is not your fault, then you have to PERSONALLY make a claim on their Insurance Co. Real hassle as your insurance company will not help you at all. As for the Taxi's damaged, they will claimed from your insurance if it was found it was totally your fault after investigation.
Car insurance agents here, please correct me if I am wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: minor car accident - need advise   

Back to top Go down
minor car accident - need advise
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The 19th Hole :: Lounge-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.