Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Player of the Year

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Player of the Year   Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:04 pm

NEWS: TOUR NOTES
October 24 2011
3:49 PM
Ballots delayed until after HSBC
Staff and wire reports
PONTE VEDRA, Fla. — The PGA TOUR Player of the Year race may not be over yet.
The TOUR decided Monday to wait until after the World Golf Championships-HSBC Champions is over to send out Player of the Year ballots since the tournament would count as an official win if a PGA TOUR member wins it. Ballots still must be returned by Dec. 9.
"It’s important because it’s an official win for a member, and that should hold the ballot open," said Andy Pazder, the TOUR’s COO. "When we send out the ballot, we have a brief summary of the player’s year on the PGA TOUR. It would be a glaring omission if someone won the tournament and that wasn’t on there."
A year ago, the HSBC Champions was played prior to the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Classic, which concluded the 2011 Fall Series on Sunday. With his win at Disney, Luke Donald joined six other players with two victories this year — capturing the PGA TOUR money title in the process. (Money earned at the HSBC Championship is unofficial.)
Three of the two-time winners — PGA champ Keegan Bradley, Nick Watney and Mark Wilson — are currently expected to play Nov. 3-6 in Shanghai along with FedExCup champion Bill Haas.
Donald has said he likely would play in Shanghai if his wife has given birth to their second child. He also plans to play in the Nedbank Challenge, Dubai World Championship and JBWere Masters in successive weeks in December.
Also playing in Shanghai is Masters champion Charl Schwartzel of South Africa, who has not missed a cut this year. Schwartzel is not likely to be on the ballot now, but adding a World Golf Championships title to his major could make a difference.
The other three two-time winners — Webb Simpson, Bubba Watson and Steve Stricker — are not entered in the tournament at Sheshan International Golf Club at the current time.

2 to 3 years ago "The Player of the Year Award" would be a no-brainer and go to "you know who la" (TW in case you don't know). No such player exist now after TW escapades from his wife. The Tour need a dominant player to pull the crowds and sponsors' money.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Player of the Year   Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:02 pm

I'm not a Luke Donald fan
but with the way he played @ Children's Miracle last week

I think he deserves to be the Player of the Year... this year
Back to top Go down
http://facebook.com/pnchung
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Player of the Year   Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:05 pm

so it seems tht the rule change huh

anyways, I think if this is a US PGA 'Player of the year'...then just make the US golfers eligible only lah.

to me...its luke ..this year

Quote :

Press Tent Blog

« SI Golf Ranking: Simpson rises to No. 3 | Back to Main | Golf Magazine 2011 Player of the Year Candidate: Yani Tseng »
October 25, 2011
Truth & Rumors: Donald calls Tour's POY move 'sketchy'
Posted at 12:46 PM by Mike Walker | Categories: Chubby Chandler, Luke Donald, Rory McIlroy

Luke Donald called the PGA Tour’s decision to extend the deadline for PGA Tour Player of the Year voting “sketchy at best” in an interview with Golf Channel’s Morning Drive show. The PGA Tour announced the decision to include the results of the HSBC Champions event in Shanghai, a World Golf Championship event Nov. 3-6, in the vote after Donald won the money list title at Disney.

“My schedule isn’t going to change right now. I think the decision to add HSBC is a little sketchy, at best. Why suddenly change the rule the day after Disney? It doesn’t really make much sense to me. The PGA Tour has never really recognized [HSBC] as official money. It doesn’t count as an event, unlike it does on the European Tour. With that criteria, why not count all my accomplishments outside the U.S. as well

Read more: http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2011/10/truth-rumors-luke-donald-calls-tours-poy-move-sketchy.html#ixzz1bsAowvpJ
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Player of the Year   Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:20 pm

[quote="Duval_S"]so it seems tht the rule change huh

anyways, I think if this is a US PGA 'Player of the year'...then just make the US golfers eligible only lah.

to me...its luke ..this year

[quote]

I second the motion
Back to top Go down
http://facebook.com/pnchung
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Player of the Year   Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:36 pm

The player of the year award should be awarded to the most deserving golfer who played the majority of his competition rounds in the US PGA sanctioned tournaments , regardless of his nationality.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Player of the Year   Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:16 am

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – Luke Donald has been named the PGA TOUR Player of the Month for October.
Donald received the honor after turning in a clutch performance at the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Classic to clinch the TOUR’s money title and the Arnold Palmer Trophy that goes with it.
The Englishman, who started the final round essentially knowing he needed to win to earn the money crown, made up a five-stroke deficit over the final 10 holes – reeling off six straight birdies to open the back nine – and beat Justin Leonard by two strokes.
With the victory, Donald joined six other players with two PGA TOUR wins in 2011. He clinched the Byron Nelson Award for the lowest adjusted scoring average as well as the Vardon Trophy.
Donald is taking several weeks off due to the impending birth of his second daughter. He will also be competing in the European Tour’s Dubai World Championship in December as he attempts an unprecedented sweep of the money titles on both sides of the Atlantic.

This is a joke. Are the Americans so hard-up looking for a local hero to once again postpone the "Player of the Year" again till after the Shanghai WGC - HCBS Championship?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Player of the Year   Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:21 am

I still think that the US PGA player of the year should be a US citizen coz the tour belongs to US...

but if the title is Golfer of the year....ah.....thats differennt liao
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Player of the Year   Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:26 am

Well, if that's the case, the PGA should not invite or allow players from other countries to take part in the PGA tournaments and just let the Americans play amongst themselves. Just not right. Crying or Very sad .
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Player of the Year   Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:50 am

Latest news from PGA.com. Luke Donald is named PGA Player of the Year and also won the Vardon Trophy. Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Player of the Year   Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:49 am

TDO wrote:
Well, if that's the case, the PGA should not invite or allow players from other countries to take part in the PGA tournaments and just let the Americans play amongst themselves. Just not right. Crying or Very sad .

Let meritocracy rule. The golf ball does not care who you are. You may be Te king of a country or a beggar on the streets. If the king shanks a shot, the ball hoes right. A beggar reads a perfect line n judges perfectly the strength of a putt, the ball goes in the hole.

If the Americans can't hold their own in their own backyard , why should they win anything?

By only allowing Americans to wim the PGA player of the year award, it is just like picking the best from a weak pool of candidates.

What does this encourage? Cronyism. It is evident everywhere but let's not let it rear it's ugly head in sports.

Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Player of the Year   Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:44 pm

Hold on boys .. lets not get ahead of ourselves just yet!!!

Firstly, the PGA and PGA Tour Players of the Year have been the same every year from 1992 through 2010 ... and ...

Price (twice), Norman, Vijay & Harrington have all won these awards! If it weren't for a certain Tiger Woods (ten times) maybe more foreigners would have won it .. Ernie comes to mind!

I am not a big fan of the US, and have always supported EUR for the Ryder Cup ... BUT ... I have a lot of respect for the Americans as well ...

The US PGA Tour is the best (golf) tour in the world ... and many foreigners are earn their living there! Sure, there are some restrictions on non-members .. but why shouldn't there be!
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Player of the Year   Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:17 am

I hope the PGA will delay the vote counting till end of next year's Open.......maybe Tiger will be in the mix.

come on...US PGA....whats another 7 months !!!!
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Player of the Year   Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:32 am

ok.....HSBC over liao.....

so ..whats the conclusioin .....who is the POY 2011 ?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Player of the Year   Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:40 pm

has there been a conclusion yet?

luke?

rory?

keegan?

or tiger?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Player of the Year   Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:12 am

After all the Ar-chi Ar-cho......Luke is the Man

Quote :
Already No. 1 in the world, Luke Donald now is No. 1 in the eyes of the PGA Tour. Donald's fellow players voted him player of the year, making him the first Englishman to win the award since it began in 1990
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Player of the Year   Today at 8:07 pm

Back to top Go down

Player of the Year
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1