Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Juvic PAGUNSAN

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:03 am

Hey guys,

Let me first explain how he got his name "JUVIC"
it came from his dad & mom's name....

JUANITO and VICTORIA...hence Juvic
the only son of Juanito Pagunsan, a local Golf Pro Teacher/ Touring Pro
who was my Golf Pro for 3 years

Anyway, his height is 5 foot 7 inch
and swing speed accdg to his dad is 127

Everytime I see him play & Swing....
I wonder how he could swing so smooth and easy looking...
just like Ernic Els

His father Juanito, doesn't swing like that but for a 60plus senior Pro, his distance is Long & Straight.

Anyway, my wife and I saw the match and cheered for Juvic
Sadly, if the tour committee let them finished the game
I think Juvic would have won

Castano was "getting nervous & uptight"

Juvic is like a diesel engine, who needs to warm up and plays well as the game gets going.

Lastly, I just hope Juvic will nail one to two more Asian wins to secure the Asian Order of Merit Number One

He was last year Number One on the Asean Order of Merit circuit
and I hope we will get better and better
Back to top Go down
http://facebook.com/pnchung
wilier izoard
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:55 am

I totally agree !!! We support Asian !!!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:00 am

I like his grinding and tee to green style, seldom see him having to scramble around the green...and he always smiles.

Angelo Que also has nice smooth tempo. Do they share same coach?
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:03 am

Yeah.. pagusan has a sweet swing !!
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:12 am

Theres this indian chap. Small built, about 170m, skinny?, but his drive matched Graeme Macdowell and Scott barr's/ Think his name is Gaganjeet Bullar. GIR'd most of the time, but wasnt able to hole his putts.
Back to top Go down
TLHENG
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:26 am

louis oosthuizen of south africa is also of small built. Not skinny, but short. he has one of the best swing. Was with wstv camera crew following his flight on day 1 which also has Francisco molinari and Noren. All three has beautiful swing. Far and accurate, especially their irons.
On day 2, was covering Else, justin rose and hirasuka flight. Else has lost his game much, no more accurate although distance is still there. Hirasuka was let down by his putting, missing alot of 1-3 metres putt. justin rose was most consistent.

It goes to show, golf is about swing not physical size although it has some advantage.
Back to top Go down
naij
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:32 am

thanks for the info Hybrid! Inspirational player seeing how he competed with the big boys and beat them (most of them!). His putting was the key difference throughout the last 2 rounds, sinking so many of them.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:03 pm

Not tyring to stir anything, but I heard yesterday that Philippine Golf and his sponsor had parted ways with Juvic..... before his Sing Open playoff...

Below is from Philippine Golf writer,

On September 12th of this year, the Philippine Golf Tour dropped a bombshell by announcing the suspension of Juvic Pagunsan, the hottest player on the Tour this year and the current leader of the Tour’s Order of Merit for the rest of the 2011 season.

The suspension stemmed for Pagunsan’s sudden withdrawal from the recently concluded jointly sanctioned Aboitiz Invitational in Cebu of the Philippine Golf Tour and Asian Development Tour. According to reports Pagunsan took offence when asked to register his personal caddy with the caddy master of the host Cebu Country Club before teeing off. When asked to do so by the starter, Pagunsan walked off the golf course and later claimed a sore foot as the reason his withdrawal.

The Tour then suspended Pagunsan under Clause 10 of the Tour Guidelines which calls for the PGT to maintain a strict no tolerance policy for behaviour unbecoming of a professional. The provisions of the clause covers professional conduct, including failure to comply with appropriate etiquette, misbehavior, injurious conduct and other similar acts and omissions.

Needless to say the suspension has generated considerable controversy within the golfing community. Discussions rage among all golfers and within the Pinoygolfer.com message boards debating the wisdom, harshness and effects of the disciplinary action. So the ultimate question becomes; did the Tour do the right thing?

I’ve followed Pagunsan’s career closely as a golf journalist for the last seven years or so. I spoke to his coaches in the ICTSI amateur team that admitted to me that they gave Juvic exceptional leeway when it came to team practice and other activities. Their rationale for doing so was that his performance was always exceptional during competitions so they chose to leave him to his own devices while they concentrated on other members of the team. I observed his strained relations with the National Golf Association of the Philippines and how he accused some of its directors with using the team resources for their personal use at tournaments abroad.

I’ve also watched, enthralled, as his game blossomed as a professional. Watched his first win in Indonesia with rapt admiration and marvelled at the length and accuracy of his long game and the artistry and maturity of his game on and around the greens. I’ve seen his game gain in stature as he set the course record (62, 10-under par) at the Orchard’s storied Palmer Course and watched disheartened at his sudden, unannounced withdrawal from the ICTSI Forest Hills Invitational in 2010, the unceremonious firing of his caddy less than halfway through his round at the ICTSI Negros Occidental Championship and the incident at the Aboitiz in Cebu.

It breaks my heart that possibly Philippine golf’s leading light is plagued by such duality; a Jeckell/Hyde personality that seems poised to undermine every success he’s enjoyed and his potential as one of the best golfers in the region. That Juvic has an estranged relationship with his father Jaunito is common knowledge in golfing circles. My psychologist friends tell me that this is the probable cause with Pagunsan’s ever present problems with authority. But is the ban the solution? Perhaps there’s a better way to get through to him.

When treating aberrant behaviour, it is imperative that the person in question realize the consequences of his action. Only when that realization happens is the person receptive to possible solutions. One of my late aunts was a chronic smoker and drinker. My lasting memories of her are with a cigarette in one hand and a cocktail glass in the other. I was amazed that she stopped both drinking and smoking cold turkey upon learning that she had a potentially fatal heart condition. In the end her body succumbed to the abuse she’d heaped upon it, but she managed to prolong her life by a couple of years by heeding the doctors’ advice by quitting both vices.

I’m of the opinion that when Juvic abandoned the ICTSI Forest Hills Invitational, the Tour should have sanctioned him immediately. A PhP 50,000 fine would have rattled his world and driven home the point that that sort of thing would not be tolerated by the Tour. Perhaps if that were the scenario then, I wouldn’t be writing about this today. But what’s done is done and the fact is that there were subsequent incidents that wrought the Tour’s ire upon Pagunsan.

There are the effects on the other members of the Tour as well. As a part time official on the Philippine Golf Tour, some pros have come up to me and lamented the seeming inequity of the situation. They work hard to keep to the Tour’s rules and policies while these same tenets are flaunted with impunity by the Tour’s biggest star. It is for this reason that the suspension was both necessary and appropriate.

Unfortunately, this was seen by some as punishment going beyond the incident which it precipitated. I believe the Tour had no choice. Continued tolerance would have sent a bad message to all the Tour’s professionals; that it would tolerate shenanigans from its stars but not the rank and file, which is of course, patently untrue. It was important to send a message that the rules apply to everyone and that no one is above them.

I’m hoping that Pagunsan’s suspension by the Tour and the stern warning delivered by his major sponsor are just the thing to bring him to the realization that his behaviour is undesirable and potentially injurious to his career. I appeal to him to realize that in the end, this is for his own good and for him to live up to his awesome potential as a golfer. He is world class and arguably the best in the country at the moment. If he shapes up there is no telling just where that potential can take him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:12 pm

wah turns out Juvic has a John Daly side to his smiley demeanor Very Happy
Back to top Go down
naij
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:58 pm

Interesting read. I wonder to what extent this problem with authority is the fuel for his fire and motivates him to "stick it" to the people whom he considers to have wronged/offended him.
Back to top Go down
jocheang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:16 pm

shorthitter, just randomly, you're a fantastic writer. Beer
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:31 pm

jocheang wrote:
shorthitter, just randomly, you're a fantastic writer. Beer

Thanks but I did not write that. I was at event Monday and an official mentioned that Juvic's sponsor ditched him do I did some research and found this article.

Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:40 pm

Well, you are a fantastic researcher then! Heheheh
Back to top Go down
golfernatic
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:13 am

It has been my desire to see a Singapore Pro carry the National Flag and start bringing honor to this tiny red dot. Sad. It has been absent for years. Hopefully soon. Perhaps Sentosa can allow some of the pros to practise there every day till they know the course there in and out thoroughly so they can win the next Barclay.

If Juvic can, surely one or two of our local pros can. Guess it is alot of hard work, and lots of exposure. Good luck team Singapore.
Back to top Go down
benhogan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:26 am

golfernatic wrote:
It has been my desire to see a Singapore Pro carry the National Flag and start bringing honor to this tiny red dot. Sad. It has been absent for years. Hopefully soon. Perhaps Sentosa can allow some of the pros to practise there every day till they know the course there in and out thoroughly so they can win the next Barclay.

If Juvic can, surely one or two of our local pros can. Guess it is alot of hard work, and lots of exposure. Good luck team Singapore.

I'm sure they can, that is if they are touring pros, it's a pity that the spots taken by our non touring pros have deprived touring pros of a opportunity. ( just look at their scores year in year out )
I'm ok with our National Team boys playing as this will help them win medals
(hopefully) for our country in the near future.
Back to top Go down
golfernatic
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:38 am

benhogan wrote:
golfernatic wrote:

I'm sure they can, that is if they are touring pros, it's a pity that the spots taken by our non touring pros have deprived touring pros of a opportunity. ( just look at their scores year in year out )
I'm ok with our National Team boys playing as this will help them win medals
(hopefully) for our country in the near future.

Sorry, don't quite get you. I thought the spots are available to anyone who qualified through the qualifying round. Anyway, I only know two serious touring pros in Singapore. Any others? So in my limited knowledge, it is equal opportunity to all, touring or not. Right? Question
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:41 pm

I think we should just suggest to the Singapore sport council to take in Pagunsan since Philippines don't want him. Give him a Citizenship and da dan, we have a potential champion. Razz
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:47 pm

pushslice wrote:
I like his grinding and tee to green style, seldom see him having to scramble around the green...and he always smiles.

Angelo Que also has nice smooth tempo. Do they share same coach?

No, they do not have the same swing coach.

Angelo Que and my wife used to play as a group during their teen years.

The Lions Club usually organized Golf tournaments here and they play on the same group.

Angelo Que from what I know is closed to Danny Chia & Lam Chi Bing.
And he has a brother Mic Que who is a Golf coach.

As for Juvic, his father taught him how to play Golf.
And when he was a member of the Philippine National Team
there were stories told by his father about some controversial issues
( I think I better keep quiet about this ) where Juvic almost quit Golf.

And it was his Dad who grooved again his swing in fine form.

Nowadays, Last I heard was Juvic "tweak" his swing from Jun Cedo, a well known Filipino Golf coach

Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:00 pm

naij wrote:
thanks for the info Hybrid! Inspirational player seeing how he competed with the big boys and beat them (most of them!). His putting was the key difference throughout the last 2 rounds, sinking so many of them.

Thank you for the kind words.

Just my hypothesis.....

If there were no lightning & thunderstorm that day
I think Juvic would have nailed the ball.

He plays better as he warms up, just like a diesel engine.

I woke up my wife that afternoon when I shouted "Whoa" when Juvic nailed his putt on the 18th green.

We both thought that Juvic went to Singapore out to prove something. He was suspended from playing @ the Philippine Golf Tour last 2 or 3 months ago.

And he did. His win is sort of a vindication for him specially to those who were against him & criticized him.

Good Karma goes to Nice people.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:03 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
I think we should just suggest to the Singapore sport council to take in Pagunsan since Philippines don't want him. Give him a Citizenship and da dan, we have a potential champion. Razz

Hahaha why not.

There are some odd people in our country, Golfing officials who doesnt like him.

Because he is like the Tiger Wood of our country. Minus the womanizing haha

I heard there are some Filipino chess coach already working in Singapore and training your chess players
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:12 pm

pushslice wrote:
wah turns out Juvic has a John Daly side to his smiley demeanor Very Happy

With due respect to the issue written above here

No, he ( Juvic ) has a nice attitude.

There are just some Local Filipino officials who are not happy with him and made some issues against him.

When you pissed off someone, of course there would always be a reaction.

If I were in his shoes I would also feel "irritated."
Everyone would I think
Even TW was irritated when the British press questioned about Erin's nude photo's and didnt play well a few years back on the Ryder's Cup
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:02 pm

PAGUNSAN WRAPS UP MERIT TITLE

Hong Kong, December 4: Juvic Pagunsan claimed the prestigious Order of Merit crown at the UBS Hong Kong Open on Sunday, becoming the first Filipino to reach the Asian Tour summit in the game’s history.

Pagunsan carded a closing round of two-under-par 68 for 10th place to add US$55,000 to his season’s haul of US$788,298. It gave him an unassailable lead with one event remaining as none of his closest challengers threatened to win at the Hong Kong Golf Club.

The 33-year-old Filipino will be officially crowned Asia’s new number one, replacing Korea’s Noh Seung-yul, at the season-ending US$1 million Thailand Golf Championship at the Amata Spring Country Club from December 15-18. The Awards Gala will be held on December 18.

After entering the month of November as the 64th ranked golfer, the sweet-swinging Pagunsan emerged as the unlikeliest of Merit champions, thanks largely to a tied ninth finish at the Mercuries Taiwan Masters and an impressive runner-up outing at the lucrative Singapore Open which earned him a whopping US$666,660.

As Asia’s number one, Pagunsan will be exempt into the British Open and World Golf Championship-Cadillac Championship in 2012.

“It sounds really good,” said Pagunsan when told he had done enough to win his first Merit title.

“I accept that it’s one of the biggest achievements in my entire life. I’m really surprised. Everyone dreams to get the Order of Merit on the Asian Tour. I wasn’t expecting that this year. My ranking before the Singapore Open was dangerous and suddenly I just jumped to number one. It’s a big, big opportunity to win the Order of Merit.”

Pagunsan conceded that he felt the pressure before the start of the week as a big cheque of US$458,330 was up for grabs at the UBS Hong Kong Open.

“Yeah, it was big pressure as anyone from second to the 10th place on the rankings still had a chance to catch up. It was big pressure for me to play. It was hard. But I still focused hard most of the time.”

He hopes his ascension to Asian Tour number one will raise the popularity of the game further in the Philippines and he will not rest on his laurels as he is keen to win a second career title following his lone success at the 2007 Indonesian President Invitational.

“There’s no holiday. I try to focus every day. I’ll try to win (the Thailand Golf Championship). Maybe I can but I’m not so sure as it’s everybody’s ball game,” said Pagunsan.

He credited improvements on his physical fitness as being the key to his rapid rise to the throne.

“I worked hard before the Taiwan Masters. I jogged every morning. It helped improve my game. It helped me improve physically and mentally I was fresh,” he said.

The star-studded US$1 million Thailand Golf Championship will feature three of this season’s Major winners, newly crowned UBS Hong Kong Open champion Rory McIlroy, Charl Schwartzel and Darren Clarke. World number three Lee Westwood and Sergio Garcia will also compete in Bangkok.

source page
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Juvic PAGUNSAN   Today at 3:19 am

Back to top Go down

Juvic PAGUNSAN
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1