Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Swing analysis

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:20 am

Hi,

Anyone know what is supposed to come out of the whole exercise? With so many companies offering such services what are the differences? What check is needed? Is driver swing check will do? What about irons? some said #7 is good enough? Is it? or all irons? What about fairway woods?

Indoor or outdoor check is better? Does it make a difference to use a different ball type? Range ball seem quite hard. Some proposed to give video of you but other only use ball tracking machine to tell you club head speed, spin rate...

So what is a proper analysis? or rather effective one? Confusing scratch scratch

Finally: what is a reasonable price for such a check??? Thanks...
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:23 am

Its should be more like what you want to know out of this exercise?
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:35 am

duffader wrote:

Er... quite obviously I don't know what wrong with my swing and not able to play a golf game to the level I want to.

Maybe let me make it slightly more simple: what in a swing analysis excise that will help me to improve my game? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:54 am

Ant wrote:
duffader wrote:

Er... quite obviously I don't know what wrong with my swing and not able to play a golf game to the level I want to.

Maybe let me make it slightly more simple: what in a swing analysis excise that will help me to improve my game? Thanks.

What is your current level?

If you are already at a high level, then, the specific questions you asked would apply. It then depends on what you are trying to fix, like duffader said.

If you are at a beginner level, then, any swing analysis would help you. Choose one that fits your budget, and/or recommended by your friends who have tried it.

Or... you could read up D plane and ball flight laws, and find out what's happening at impact by looking at your ball flight.
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:36 am

Lee36328 wrote:
Ant wrote:
duffader wrote:

If you are already at a high level, then, the specific questions you asked would apply. It then depends on what you are trying to fix, like duffader said.

If you are at a beginner level, then, any swing analysis would help you. Choose one that fits your budget, and/or recommended by your friends who have tried it.

Or... you could read up D plane and ball flight laws, and find out what's happening at impact by looking at your ball flight.

Thanks for the comments. Ya.. been reading a lot.. but no help. Maybe seeing a coach might be better than spending money on a swing analysis? Yes? No?
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:40 am

some coaches offer free swing analysis. you can check those out.

but if you already feel that lessons are in order, then your search should be for the right coach. spend some time looking around, at the driving ranges when the coach you are interested in engaging is teaching and see if you are comfortable with his teaching method. Then speak to the coach when he is free and trust your gut feel about it.

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:50 am

2 scenarios..

1. Golfers who are very good do not like to change their equipment. they are the ones who will benefit from fitting most. but some are so good and until they tried whats right they do not realised that.

2. Golfers who are not very good do not like to seek proper instructions (by this i mean seeing a proven coach). Instead they seek enlightenment through constant equipment change and self diagnosis, which will lead them nowhere. these group need lessons more than equipment change.

Quote of the week...Rory M...after losing out on contention at the World Cup.

"We never got going today. There's no point moaning, we basically got what we deserved."

Players of all level including pros are fond of finding back doors for their failure. the back door could be the putter, the driver shaft, the ball, the driver, the weather, the grip, the wedge, basically anything but themselves. if you do not confront the issues with your golf swing, putting skills, mental disposition, you will still be able to string together a good game but never for a sustained period of time unless you find out why.

how you like to advance in golf has nothing to do with me until you hit the send button on the fitting form on our website.

have a great week ahead......DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:54 am

I need to be fitted for my compulsive spending disorder!

Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:57 am

DGman wrote:

how you like to advance in golf has nothing to do with me until you hit the send button on the fitting form on our website.

Boss .. I like this statement Laughing
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:58 am

do you want to know why there are so many golf rules officials in China?
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:20 am

Why ? I pressing the SEND button immediately after the full stop.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:26 am

bob you need fitting meh...i get first dibs on the DJ shaft hor!

Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:27 am

Ant wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
Ant wrote:
duffader wrote:

Thanks for the comments. Ya.. been reading a lot.. but no help. Maybe seeing a coach might be better than spending money on a swing analysis? Yes? No?

You're most welcome.

If you have built a pretty fundamentally sound swing, say from engaging a coach in the past, but the ball flight is now beginning to stray, then I'd say a swing analysis is a good way to get a quick tune-up. You're not looking to rebuild the swing entirely.

But, if you've never had coaching, and your swing is pretty much self-taught, then respectfully, your swing probably has some deeper fundamental issues. In which case, you may want to consider seeing a coach to do some extensive overhauling. If that's the case, no point analysing your current swing, because you're going to get yourself a new one. If your swing was a car, going for tire alignment and balancing makes no sense if the problem lies with the engine.

And... here's the tricky bit. Understand what you are looking for in a swing, in order to define what you need to look for in a coach.

Social golfer - any decent coach will do, go for one that fits the budget

Serious golfer - go for one that will teach you the style you prefer

Very serious golfer - go for one that will custom-build a swing that fits your body and your (potential) athletic ability best

The above is in increasing order of performance, price, and rarity.

Many go for years without seeking help, by which time the flaws have become permanent and almost impossible to change.

So, what's fantastic about you and your situation is that you already realize you need to do something about it and you're actively looking for a solution. That means the improvement you seek is right round the corner.

Best of luck.

Peace.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:35 am

DGman wrote:
2 scenarios..

1. Golfers who are very good do not like to change their equipment. they are the ones who will benefit from fitting most. but some are so good and until they tried whats right they do not realised that.

2. Golfers who are not very good do not like to seek proper instructions (by this i mean seeing a proven coach). Instead they seek enlightenment through constant equipment change and self diagnosis, which will lead them nowhere. these group need lessons more than equipment change.

"We never got going today. There's no point moaning, we basically got what we deserved."

Players of all level including pros are fond of finding back doors for their failure. the back door could be the putter, the driver shaft, the ball, the driver, the weather, the grip, the wedge, basically anything but themselves. if you do not confront the issues with your golf swing, putting skills, mental disposition, you will still be able to string together a good game but never for a sustained period of time unless you find out why.

Great post DGMan

I agree - pretty steady and consistent swing, see a clubfitter to enhance your ball flight, distance

Ball flies all over the place, no consistency - see a coach, its a technical issue not your clubs. A decent coach will be able to give you a pretty good idea about your equipment i.e clubs too long, too short, too heavy etc.
The finer details such as shaft flexes, lie angles etc the fitter is your man.

Better players should engage the coach and fitter together to come up with the best solution.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:45 am

eiji wrote:
bob you need fitting meh...i get first dibs on the DJ shaft hor!

No prob. Just need to sort the shaft thing out.
Back to top Go down
Master
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:22 pm

DGman wrote:
2 scenarios..

Dear Master,

once again, you have shown us that equipment changes are temporary, but your wealth of knowledge and wisdom is permanent.

let me get my swing in shape and i will be hitting the send button on your website.

Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:26 pm

What happen when we press send ? Wait and the doorbell will ding dong...Any body order Swing Analysis....? ...hehehehe
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:55 pm

4dtoto wrote:
What happen when we press send ? Wait and the doorbell will ding dong...Any body order Swing Analysis....? ...hehehehe

Funny meh... dun disturb other people's thread lah...
Back to top Go down
kooky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:35 pm

Dgman, what about lie angle of clubs? Important even for new golfer?

My 2cents also: people have different perspective of consistent and a 'good' shot and 'good' swing.. ESP for newbie..

Must 100% straight and sweet spot then counted? Or can fly can already? I read somewhere at least 7/10 good shots then go swing analysis.. but then what is good enough for one may not be good enough for another Mad

DGman wrote:
2 scenarios..

Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:38 pm

Yes Cobra !

@Ant, just wondering, how is your game and what are you actually looking for ? You may want to let us know what type of sets you are using and facing any problems.

or is it more for knowledge sharing as in curious about the term Swing analysis and how club fitter or Pro go about ...
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:41 pm

I think priority should still be with the Golf Pro like what DGman said. Get your swing in tune first before consulting with a club fitter.... When you get too technical... you will start finding fault with the equipment even if the fault is in the swing....
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:59 pm

DGman wrote:
do you want to know why there are so many golf rules officials in China?

Why ? because Chinese like to cheat ? Oop rabbit ( I am Chinese too ) White Flag
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:03 pm

4dtoto wrote:
Yes Cobra !

@Ant, just wondering, how is your game and what are you actually looking for ? You may want to let us know what type of sets you are using and facing any problems.

or is it more for knowledge sharing as in curious about the term Swing analysis and how club fitter or Pro go about ...

Shooting mid 80s to low 90s most of the time. Driver distance not an issue though if can be longer would be great. The irons are killing me... 7 iron is 120m or sometime less though dispersion is still acceptable. Already using NSpro 850. Check on internet, average is about 130-140? Either power leak somewhere or shaft is wrong... dun know.... Had to rely on utility wood to try get on green for 2nd shot most of the time for par 4. Been advise the option to do swing analysis or a coach - never use a coach in my life as golf is a social game but recently getting more interest trying to lower the score. Anyone has a good coach to recommend, please do.

Maybe getting older liao..... but I get older golfers hitting longer distance than me just last week at MBCC !!

Btw way: 1 year back, 7 irons was 150m... no problem... driver distance - no change... so what change? scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:29 pm

Ant wrote:
4dtoto wrote:
Yes Cobra !

Shooting mid 80s to low 90s most of the time. Driver distance not an issue though if can be longer would be great. The irons are killing me... 7 iron is 120m or sometime less though dispersion is still acceptable. Already using NSpro 850. Check on internet, average is about 130-140? Either power leak somewhere or shaft is wrong... dun know.... Had to rely on utility wood to try get on green for 2nd shot most of the time for par 4. Been advise the option to do swing analysis or a coach - never use a coach in my life as golf is a social game but recently getting more interest trying to lower the score. Anyone has a good coach to recommend, please do.

Maybe getting older liao..... but I get older golfers hitting longer distance than me just last week at MBCC !!

Btw way: 1 year back, 7 irons was 150m... no problem... driver distance - no change... so what change? scratch scratch

Ant, if you tell me 1 year ago your 7 iron was doing 150m and now just 120m. Its kind of hard to apprehend how that happened unless your measurement of distance was too liberal in the sense that 130-140m you take it as 150m OR you have suffered a great calamity like a stroke which rendered your arm less than normal. Its just unacceptable to me and any other guys here. scratch scratch Moreover, if you were hitting it 150m 1 year ago and you were scoring mid 80s to low 90s, what are you scoring now when your 7 iron now just 120m? If you are still scoring 80s and low 90s, then sorry I tend to think you don't know what you are talking about as you did not mentioned that during this past year you have improved tremendously in your short game thus your average score remains somewhat the same even with your reduced distance of your 7 iron. If 7 iron dropped by 20-30m, then other irons will dropped relatively in distance too. So which is which? I am really confused..... scratch No No

titu

Last edited by Tituman on Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:33 pm

Swing definitely not a problem if you are mid 80s. If I were you, I would go see a club fitter to get it sort out. for now, I need to sort out my swing first. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swing analysis   Today at 9:28 pm

Back to top Go down

Swing analysis
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next