Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sgdaniel
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:27 am

Came across this article. Any comments? Specifically, on that Tiger Woods makes contact above the center of the club face (driver) to reduce spin and increase launch angle.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:12 am

An interesting article, a bit long, but well worth the time required to go through it.

What's especially eye-opening are the golf industry practices to sell more, and how that catches the typical consumer unawares.

Also explains why low-spin drivers are rare to find.

Thanks for sharing, sgdaniel.

Peace.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:16 am

Good article... BALL SPEED is king!

- YOU need to hit the ball in the sweet spot more often.
- Get a shorter length shaft
- It is critical that your head and chest stay behind the ball at impact.
- The ball MUST be contacted fairly high on the face
Back to top Go down
sgdaniel
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:41 pm

ya lor...
Back to top Go down
pakleow
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:55 pm

Good write up but without proper coaching, I think one may be able to achieve only a certain percentage...
Back to top Go down
sgdaniel
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:17 pm

i have an official coach. N everybody else are my coaches... Smile
Back to top Go down
Jazbe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:46 am

Good article..thanks for sharing. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
skitter
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:24 am

But most stock shafts now are looking 45" or more. Believe new Cobra Long Tom will be 48".

Will trimming stock shafts affect the swing weight or performance much?
Back to top Go down
catdforever
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:08 pm

Good sharing, thanks!
Back to top Go down
pakleow
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:25 pm

I use to have a 50 inch killer bee or something like that. Did not give me any extra distance but tend to fade easily....
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:59 pm

MGS(my golf spy) has done a test.

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-is-longer-really-longer/

short excerpt.

"Well, our data (and the years of experience from reputable club fitters all over the globe) suggest that the majority of golfers (yes you too) would absolutely benefit from playing a shorter-shafted driver. Not only will accuracy increase (our tests show by a whopping 28%), our numbers also suggest that any distance loss would be very minimal, and there’s a chance you could actually increase your total distance as well.

Whether cutting 2″ is the optimal number for you is impossible to say. Maybe for you it’s .5″, maybe it’s 2.5″. Maybe stock is perfect. These are questions that a knowledgeable club fitter can help you answer and is yet another example of why it’s absolutely imperative that every golfer serious about improving his game be custom fit for his equipment."

time to call your club fitter to make an appointment.

ps clubfitters, i accept donations as payment for advertising for you Very Happy

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:35 pm

Nick, excellent article....maybe i didn't go far enough shorterning my driver shaft to 45" from 45.75".......
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:37 pm

Wow, must cut shaft and change to higher loft leow.
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:42 pm

Distance... It's either you have it or you don't
Equipment makers/ golf fitters ... I'm sure they have tons to say about that .
Can't beat the good ole working on swing mechanics with coach advice though
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:00 am

Cutting half an inch on the shaft of the driver to 45" worked remarkably well for me. I certainly was not expecting half an inch to make so much difference but it did. Kudos to Denmeister, who first told me the benefits of a shorter shaft.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:51 am

Everythings now re abt technology n science! Suspect
We hve to n must accept. cyclops
Tx fr sharg! cheers
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:54 am

Couldn't agree more on benefits of shorter shaft Smile
For me, I switched my 3 wood to driver and now I slice lesser. Though I have to sacrifice on distance, but hell I take that anytime!
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:05 am

I am actually doing the old Anthony Kim trick. Choking down on my driver grip to lose about 1-2". Did not cut it down.

Since that change a few years ago, I know for a fact that my dispersion tightened and surprisingly, distance increased! The increase in distance is not mainly due to the consistent hits on the sweet spot, it increases because I had added confidence to go at it knowing that I will not be spraying my drives all over the place.

I used to be very tentative with my drives because they can go left, right or centre. By making the change, I reduced my errant shots drastically. Not to boast, but just to give u guys an example, being a 6'2" person, I was spraying my shots 190-200m. With the change, I could easily carry 220. Sometimes on a good hit, 250 and above!!! My regular kakis always laughed at me saying that for such a big guy, I hit like a girl.

To me, I play better golf when I feel confident. And that is when I can unleash my power. The choking down move helped in the ways that others have said in the various preceding posts, AND, it also increased my confidence! That I believe, is the key!

For those who want to give it a try but are not willing to cut their shafts down, you may want to try the Anthony Kim choke down method. Give it a go, I know that you will have nothing to lose and a lot more to gain!
Back to top Go down
markteo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:42 am

Denmeister wrote:
My regular kakis always laughed at me saying that for such a big guy, I hit like a girl.
you walk like a girl
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:37 am

markteo wrote:
Denmeister wrote:
My regular kakis always laughed at me saying that for such a big guy, I hit like a girl.
you walk like a girl

ai si wa...buay lun!

loosely translated as "If its me, cannot take it!"

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:46 am

This happened to me. Lost about 20m after cutting my shaft down to 45". Compensated by a much higher % on fairway. It is much easier to hit now.

Question is whether the improved accuracy makes up for the 20-30m lost? For those who are struggling wht the TM SF 2.0 stock shaft (being too long), it took me about 5 months to finally begin to understand/handle the long shaft. I had to choke down on the grip (just slightly) to gain abit more "feel" on the club head. On good days, the dispersion was manageable. On off days, Fairways were hard to find.

If scores are a good attestation, my scores did go down after reshafting. Still, there are times (long par 4) that I miss having the stock shaft Smile

eiji wrote:
MGS(my golf spy) has done a test.

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-is-longer-really-longer/

short excerpt.

"Well, our data (and the years of experience from reputable club fitters all over the globe) suggest that the majority of golfers (yes you too) would absolutely benefit from playing a shorter-shafted driver. Not only will accuracy increase (our tests show by a whopping 28%), our numbers also suggest that any distance loss would be very minimal, and there’s a chance you could actually increase your total distance as well.

Whether cutting 2″ is the optimal number for you is impossible to say. Maybe for you it’s .5″, maybe it’s 2.5″. Maybe stock is perfect. These are questions that a knowledgeable club fitter can help you answer and is yet another example of why it’s absolutely imperative that every golfer serious about improving his game be custom fit for his equipment."

time to call your club fitter to make an appointment.

ps clubfitters, i accept donations as payment for advertising for you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:58 am

As I always say: not scared u long, but scared u straight....
HUAT AH!!!
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:17 pm

markteo wrote:
Denmeister wrote:
you walk like a girl

Well then, how does it feel to be losing to a girl?
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:18 pm

http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/austin.htm

I read this review on Mike Austin's swing theory that I thought was interesting. It helps because the author attempts to clarify and explain Austin's theory which may help to better understand what Austin is trying to impart. It is the right hand "throw" that appears to be a key move which can only be done naturally with a weight transfer, low point of release and smooth swing sequence. It is interesting because my brother (who never read the Austin theory) was describing the same feeling to me (throwing a stone with the right hand, smooth sequence. Coordinated hip turn) when he was driving the ball really well.
Back to top Go down
zixter
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:54 am

Lee36328 wrote:
Cutting half an inch on the shaft of the driver to 45" worked remarkably well for me. I certainly was not expecting half an inch to make so much difference but it did. Kudos to Denmeister, who first told me the benefits of a shorter shaft.

Tempted to cut my shaft also .. currently it's at 45.75" but how do you all know how much to cut?

Agar agar?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Today at 12:28 am

Back to top Go down

An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next