Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kengnam
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:54 am

sgdaniel wrote:
Came across this article. Any comments? Specifically, on that Tiger Woods makes contact above the center of the club face (driver) to reduce spin and increase launch angle.
Ayo,sgdaniel.U already can drive 300m with yr driver and 250m with yr 3wood,no worry for u la.But anyway thx for sharing and I think I need to cut 2-3inch away with my driver as my height not that tall Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:52 pm

zixter wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
Cutting half an inch on the shaft of the driver to 45" worked remarkably well for me. I certainly was not expecting half an inch to make so much difference but it did. Kudos to Denmeister, who first told me the benefits of a shorter shaft.

Tempted to cut my shaft also .. currently it's at 45.75" but how do you all know how much to cut?

Agar agar?

choke down first, and see how much you need to choke down to get consistent contact. there's your answer to how much to cut.

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
zixter
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:24 pm

thanks for the advice .. just tried the g20 at bishan with the technical measurement thing .. kena poison but don't know if they are making sense or selling speech ..my swing speed
is 92 to 95 average hitting an average smash factor 1.4 and launch angle of about 19 degree. is that considered a suitable driver?
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:51 pm

zixter wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
Cutting half an inch on the shaft of the driver to 45" worked remarkably well for me. I certainly was not expecting half an inch to make so much difference but it did. Kudos to Denmeister, who first told me the benefits of a shorter shaft.

Tempted to cut my shaft also .. currently it's at 45.75" but how do you all know how much to cut?

Agar agar?

45" is a pretty safe bet if you are average height like me, around 1.75m.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:12 pm

Cutting the driver shaft can work both ways....

In my case, I lost distance.

So what I did was to buy a new driver shaft and install it in my driver.

Its 46inch long....similar to my golf buddies Honma club driver
and now, Its either I outdrive them or we are a few distance away.
Back to top Go down
http://facebook.com/pnchung
megatiskandar
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Good article. I find it also that my drive is further if I hit north of centre and towards the toe. But I don't think I'll cut my 46+ inch shaft.if doesn't work, might be an expensive decision.
Back to top Go down
megatiskandar
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:16 pm

Plus - I'm still learning. The technical specifics on cutting shafts. Do I cut the butt end or tip end? I need to find a place with trackman so can get better advice. That's the only way I guess.
Back to top Go down
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:30 pm

Thanks for sharing...

After reading some of these articles, i got a driver with less loft (from 10.5 to 9.5 deg) and chopped my shaft down to 45".. i did lost abit of distance at the beginning. However, after i got used to the driver and hitting the sweet spot more consistently, my distance actually improved, so do my scores...
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:31 pm

megatiskandar wrote:
Plus - I'm still learning. The technical specifics on cutting shafts. Do I cut the butt end or tip end? I need to find a place with trackman so can get better advice. That's the only way I guess.

You can try at Big Fish Golf for trackman.

http://www.bigfishes.com/
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:48 pm

BigblackGoof wrote:
Thanks for sharing...

After reading some of these articles, i got a driver with less loft (from 10.5 to 9.5 deg) and chopped my shaft down to 45".. i did lost abit of distance at the beginning. However, after i got used to the driver and hitting the sweet spot more consistently, my distance actually improved, so do my scores...

Agreed w bro BigblackGoof. This's wat I'm enduring nw. Fm 10.5 dwn 9.5 n shaft 46 shorter to 45.5.
Hittg more SS n drives more consistantly despite havg short distance tentatively I hope. Laughing
Bt again, its up to individually. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:27 pm

Denmeister wrote:
I am actually doing the old Anthony Kim trick. Choking down on my driver grip to lose about 1-2". Did not cut it down.

Since that change a few years ago, I know for a fact that my dispersion tightened and surprisingly, distance increased! The increase in distance is not mainly due to the consistent hits on the sweet spot, it increases because I had added confidence to go at it knowing that I will not be spraying my drives all over the place.

I used to be very tentative with my drives because they can go left, right or centre. By making the change, I reduced my errant shots drastically. Not to boast, but just to give u guys an example, being a 6'2" person, I was spraying my shots 190-200m. With the change, I could easily carry 220. Sometimes on a good hit, 250 and above!!! My regular kakis always laughed at me saying that for such a big guy, I hit like a girl.

To me, I play better golf when I feel confident. And that is when I can unleash my power. The choking down move helped in the ways that others have said in the various preceding posts, AND, it also increased my confidence! That I believe, is the key!

For those who want to give it a try but are not willing to cut their shafts down, you may want to try the Anthony Kim choke down method. Give it a go, I know that you will have nothing to lose and a lot more to gain!
Choke down method? Will try it on that stock SQ Machspeed Shaft I have. Its damn long and I've always got kinda a phobia giving it a solid smack.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:13 pm

I tried both choke down and cutting.

Choke down certainly works. And cutting works even better.

You can cut either the tip or the butt. Cutting the tip would stiffen the shaft a bit more and make it launch a bit lower. Cutting the butt affects it less in terms of stiffness, and it does not alter the launch characteristic compared with choking down as far as I can tell.

So knowing that my swing was changing as I worked on it, I choked down first, and waited for the swing to settle down to decide whether to cut the tip or the butt.

As the swing settled, I started launching higher so I decided to cut the tip.

It was quite a big decision to cut my precious GD Tour AD DI. If I cut the butt, I could always butt-extend it back to the same length if I did not like the result, but one cannot undo cutting the tip.

Glad I made the decision. I have never been happier w the driver, nor longer with it. At a 390m par 4, I put one down the center of the fairway, and it must have caught one heck of a bounce because it reached the vicinity of the 100m marker.
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:25 pm

Kinda curious BTW, I'd noticed on most slo-mo swing videos (it is more pronounced with professional female golfers), most professional golfers bend their left knee slightly on the upswing and on the downswing, their weight seems to transfer from the right to the left.

Was watching Golf Channel and on one of the lessons, it was said that, the principle of increasing power for any type of shots is similar to a baseball batter using his waist and transferring power from the back leg to the front leg.

I may have worded it poorly so any corrections would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance   Today at 2:13 am

Back to top Go down

An Article on Maximizing Driver Distance
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2