Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:52 am

Hi guys,

Dear bros/sis,

In case you guys have plan to go Batam this week, please cancel or postphone to a later date. There is a very high chance that, a large scale rioting and protestors going to happen there, if a dialogue (which going to happen today) broke down. Trust me, this news is from my uncle, who is station there due to his job. His factory had already been ransacked and forced by the rioters to leave their factory, understands from my uncle, situation there have reach a high point already. Also a lot of expatriates had already left the place.

Please take good care if you still need to visit Batam due to some circumstances.
Back to top Go down
j.lin
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:10 am

Thanks for informing us .... we plan to go there!
Back to top Go down
harimau
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:29 am

is it safe to go now?
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:52 am

I think it's safe to go to the golfing area like Longsa but can avoid, try to avoid lor.
I have heard about the negotiation going on last 2 week, they even burned down car(s), don't know that the matter haven't solve.... Shocked
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:57 am

i think they are dulan thats they lost the shoomaker...
Back to top Go down
billi
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:10 pm

better dont batam no law .go malaysia stil can go branded store shop for xmas[u]
Back to top Go down
kwannick
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:27 pm

TDO wrote:

There is a very high chance that, a large scale rioting and protestors going to happen there, if a dialogue (which going to happen today) broke down. Trust me, this news is from my uncle, who is station there due to his job. His factory had already been ransacked and forced by the rioters to leave their factory, understands from my uncle, situation there have reach a high point already.

Please take good care if you still need to visit Batam due to some circumstances.

Wah...thanks for the heads up!!!
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:56 pm

I am there now, no problems.
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Just got back from 3 days, Tering Bay is in great condition at the moment. Palm Springs also looks good.

Stayed at Turi Beach Resort, very nice break.
Back to top Go down
xentaur
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:48 pm

shorthitter wrote:
Just got back from 3 days, Tering Bay is in great condition at the moment. Palm Springs also looks good.

Thanks for the info. mate. Will be staying overnight at batam view this weekend.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:24 pm

shorthitter wrote:

Good to hear that u are back and in one piece! Hope the golf
Is good too!
Back to top Go down
sillytesky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:16 pm

Played Palm Spring today.

Peaceful day, the only people screaming were golfers missing their puts...
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:24 pm

Last year on the 20 April 2010, I witnessed with myself the extend of damage and hurt these riots caused to some of the folks from one of the yard in batam..

On that fateful day, I arrived in the yard only to be warned by some of the locals an impending riot was about to erupt, but it was too late, I didn't even have a chance to get to my car in the parking lot...

Took my bag, hitched a ride with one of my colleagues and left... The yard was closed for a a week.. and when it subside, we came down to see for ourselves whats left of our office, cars and belongings...

Laptops were looted, cars and offices were set on fire, machinery was looted too.. it was a mess..

There was blood also in some areas being cordoned off by the police....

Two weeks ago, my colleagues from Batam told me that a police car was set on fire by a mob..

Within 6 months of my stay in batam.. I've seen 2 riots, 2-3 demonstrations... numberous traffic accidents... its too much for my liking...

But if you ask me if its safe to go play golf in Batam? Most of these riots actually occur in the rural or industrial areas..... closest course to the industrial area would be the ones near Sekupang or Nagoya.. such as indah puri or maybe Batam hills..

But if you really have to go batam and play, try to limit your visits in batam to the nongsa area... The ferry from Tanah merah goes there direct so limit your exposure to the main city and local residential areas... many courses near nongsa that you can choose, such as tering bay, palm springs or tamarin santana

Try not to go to the courses in the east of batam...There are too many small roads that could just be cordoned off by mobs running amok and u might just be the next statistic...

Most importantly be safe...

Hope this helps...
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:36 pm

That sounds like any Pub or Nightclub in Auckland... Corrrect Justin???? Beer
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:25 pm

righto!
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:47 pm

HI guys, after reading this, I am having a bit of a second thots. I have booked for the weekend with my family at Harris Resort at Batam Centre. Will there be any foreseeable problems there? Is it far away from the troubled areas? Thanks for any inputs.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:03 pm

Bro shorthitter & sillytesky went and came back in one piece so I guess it's now safe, on the golf courses, that is. However, if still in doubt, you can always call to make enquiries from the places you intend to visit. Smile
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:01 pm

And I took my family ..
Back to top Go down
xentaur
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:18 pm

Titu,

We're staying this weekend at nongsa. I ask my ex customer who stations at batam, he told me batam is back to normal and safe to travel...... So palm springs here we come!
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks guys. Will be going there with no worries.

@ Steven..... Hey man, I will be at the Harris Hotel with the family. Don't think I will have any chance to play golf as I will be staying just one night. You have a good game. Catch up with you soon for a game. Cheers.

Da...
Back to top Go down
beond
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:45 pm

Just played at Palm Springs yesterday. Perfect weather! Its only 3mins from the ferry terminal and it is very convenient. Express customs clearance. F&B are expensive at the club, so I normally buy my beers and drinks at the ferry terminal. Peaceful, no rioting. Worth the trip there!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.   Today at 2:27 am

Back to top Go down

Warning of Rioting in Batam This Week.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1