Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

White to blue tee: Another distance thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: White to blue tee: Another distance thread   Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:42 am

Bottom-line:

1. Recent driver shaft change = straighter drives but 20-40m distance loss. Works really well off white since I can still approach greens with Irons but the distance loss is felt most when playing off blue.

2. Wonders how the pros seem to hit so incredibly far with long irons although short irons distances seem more comparable. Are you guys facing the same thing? i.e. short iron distances seem right but long iron distance increases seem sub-par. Any tips / reasons why?

Hi Guys,

With abit of luck and hard practice, I have been playing well recently and kahkees suggesting that we move from white to blue tee.

This is a turning point when suddenly distance seems to matter. Irons are doing 155,150,145,140,130,120, metres (4-9i). For driver, I was hitting 200-230m (carry+roll) with TM SF 2.0 but recent change to a shorter, stiffer shaft means 190-200m.

This means that off white-tee, I'm approaching greens with 4-6 (long) irons. Moving to blue-tee means that even with a good driver shot I'll have to use hybrids and woods. My Irons are 2x more accurate and often I'd chose the hit near and chip approach over GIR attempt.

Read alot of threads where posts seem to suggest accuracy over distance. It seems that there comes a point where distance does matter.

Happy to hear what you guys have to say on this topic Smile

Happy new year all!
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: White to blue tee: Another distance thread   Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:58 am

I have the same issue.

I play better off white, because of my driver distance is usually 190-210.

Looks to me, you need to get more out of you 4-6 irons. moving from a 10m gap to 5m gaps means that you are not hitting the long-mid irons as well as you should. why? I have no idea, see a teaching pro for that.

It also means you need to practice with your hybrids and woods, sharpen the short game so that when you do miss the green with the longer clubs, you can still get up and down or 1 chip 2 putts for bogey.

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: White to blue tee: Another distance thread   Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:01 am

from the blue distance does matter more than from white, that's for sure. Given the same driving distance of around 200m, you can only offset the extra yardage by

a) hitting your 3-5 hybrids as well as your 7-8 iron if playing from white or

b) making sure your pitch or your green side chip is as accurate as your first putt if playing from white.

btw, I wouldnt compare to PGA. LPGA is a better benchmark.

Last edited by pushslice on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
efoong
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: White to blue tee: Another distance thread   Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:05 am

i think just play 3 on 2 putt at least will have a bogey...short game is king haha...within 100m attack green must be accurate then i think shouldnt be a problem...
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: White to blue tee: Another distance thread   Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:09 am

efoong wrote:
i think just play 3 on 2 putt at least will have a bogey...short game is king haha...within 100m attack green must be accurate then i think shouldnt be a problem...

it's the 3rd shot on your "3 on" formula that is key. More likely a 50m pitch or a green side chip or a shot out of the bunker.

indeed, short game is king. Even PGA Pros average GIR only around 8-10 holes a round.
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: White to blue tee: Another distance thread   Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:15 am

How about the alternative of specing driver purely for distance and using fairway wood for shorter greens where distance is more important?

Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: White to blue tee: Another distance thread   Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:19 am

I believe driver distance is important for Par 5s and long Par 4s to make the second shot easier.
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: White to blue tee: Another distance thread   Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:36 am

Buweeza, I think you should not shorten the driver shaft which reduces the distance, maybe you can choose a stiffer but lighter shaft. Usually the biggest distance variables is in the driver, for irons distance they are quite fix. Suggest that you train a little harder with your driver to increase the distance back to 200-230m which is easily attainable by you.

Just my 2 cents. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: White to blue tee: Another distance thread   Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:44 pm

for my std....I play more like a golfer if I play fm white.

Blue is tough...both mentally and physically.....imagine....continously outdriven by your flt mate....just very recently, one flt mate actually use a range finder to measure my drive vs. his......NB...reading was 3 digits..

then to make it worse...I use hybrid to go for green.....ppl use 9 iron

that is why I conclude....ppl with long drive should give strokes to short hitter....else its unfair to those god-gifts of long driving
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: White to blue tee: Another distance thread   Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Luke Donald world no.1 but look at the distance, he not the longest off the tee. Distance is important but not everything. Another good example is golffool. Golf is not concluded by who hits th 2nd shot first and there is no course that has 12 x 360-400m. Control ur mistakes on the long holes and minimize the mistakes on the short ones, u will still come back with a decent score.
Back to top Go down
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: White to blue tee: Another distance thread   Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:02 pm

That's why they have baseline requirement for players to play BLUE or WHITE/RED for female golfers for that matter...

Naturally if the golfer plays beyond his own 'capability' he will have some problem finishing the hole on par. But rest assured this problem is also faced by players with lower handicap. What makes a whole lot of difference is their ability to hit accurate long irons or woods, and of course their sharp short game. I have a friend that drives (220m on avg) relative well but very consistent, he is also often faced with 150-170m 2nd shot, but his ability to hit accurate woods/hybrid and his 5 irons onto the green or near makes him a very good 10hcp. Not forgetting that we will still have to finish the hole - putting is also very important! I hate it when i hit a 2-on but 3 putted! haha... agonizing but yet motivating (GIR)...

Advise from this friend, practice and when stressed, trust your swing!

Happy new year to all and good golf always!

*New year resolution to play consistent 80's* Beer
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: White to blue tee: Another distance thread   Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:31 pm

BigblackGoof wrote:
That's why they have baseline requirement for players to play BLUE or WHITE/RED for female golfers for that matter...

Naturally if the golfer plays beyond his own 'capability' he will have some problem finishing the hole on par. But rest assured this problem is also faced by players with lower handicap. What makes a whole lot of difference is their ability to hit accurate long irons or woods, and of course their sharp short game. I have a friend that drives (220m on avg) relative well but very consistent, he is also often faced with 150-170m 2nd shot, but his ability to hit accurate woods/hybrid and his 5 irons onto the green or near makes him a very good 10hcp. Not forgetting that we will still have to finish the hole - putting is also very important! I hate it when i hit a 2-on but 3 putted! haha... agonizing but yet motivating (GIR)...

Advise from this friend, practice and when stressed, trust your swing!

Happy new year to all and good golf always!

*New year resolution to play consistent 80's* Beer

Truth facts by bro bigblackgoof! Very Happy

I m often out voiced by my few hard hitter kakis in teeg off fm blue. (min.250) What a Face
Needed gd shots fm those woods/ rescue/ short game + puttg to go on par w them! Sighz.... HELP
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: White to blue tee: Another distance thread   Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:39 pm

I like to play white...cuz my flight mates will either hit a lot of bunkers or Dono which club to tee off hahaha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: White to blue tee: Another distance thread   Today at 1:44 am

Back to top Go down

White to blue tee: Another distance thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1