Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:22 am

Hello.. it is Friday! TGIF. Weekend is coming. CNY too. Wish everyone happy golfing.

Anyway, I would like to seek advice from all the low handicappers in the forum. For those of you playing consistently low 80s, and those single handicappers manging to achieve below 80, any tips?

I am playing high 80s at the moment and wanted to know which part of my game really makes the difference to break below 85 consistently.

Most part of my game is okay. If I were to judge my play, I would think my strength is on Iron and not so fantastic is putting. If ball is on fringe / long-putt, I usually end up bogey.

I use the same 54 wedge for all shots <80m.

Btw, all you single-handicappers have a regular coach? Does coaching on short-game makes alot of difference or is just a matter of practice and building up feel?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:24 am

shit....one of those thread which I am not suitable to comment....

but good post.. I will bookmark it and revisit this 15 years fm now
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:28 am

Someone once told me that "alot of good players here won't admit". Why afraid that must give more strokes next game?

Recognise alot of humble players here. BUt really appreciate some sound advice so that I know (with limited time) which part of my game I should really build up to go to the next level.

All comments/advice appreciated

Duval_S wrote:
shit....one of those thread which I am not suitable to comment....

but good post.. I will bookmark it and revisit this 15 years fm now
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:32 am

Hi, I am low 90s player...but findling a coach to improve yor shortgame will cut some strokes.. logic, can chip nearer and make 1 less putt..just need 5 holes and you are low 80s
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:35 am

In my opinion, short game is the key to hitting low besides getting GIR, cos its something you would want to rely on, especially on days when your irons are not working. As for putting, work on speed first. Adapting to the speed of the green as fast as you can is the key especially on a course which you hardly play.

When i was playing 90s... i didnt look for a coach, but now, I am like you hitting high 80s so i am now working with a coach to look at the areas for improvement.
Back to top Go down
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:37 am

Play more often ..
Back to top Go down
Suspicious
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:38 am

mowen wrote:
Play more often ..

this sunday how many strokes What a Face
Back to top Go down
Suspicious
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:38 am

now that muar chee is out of the equation u dont need to be shy about giving me strokes leh
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:42 am

I have this impression/view (may not be right): If you go to a coach for shortgame coaching, often he takes you to the chipping green and makes you go through putting routines.

On the actual course, chipping/pitching situations are so varied. Behind bunker, downslope/upslope, long grass, flag position etc etc. Every pitch/chip is different and alot of the time the success of a chip/pitch depends on feel , judgement and experience. Putting: A coach can teach you technique / concept but from experience alot of times real life putting depends on reading the line and strength control. Don't think a coach can teach you much on how to read a line and most of this comes with experience/personal judgement. Strength control: Coach can teach concept etc but most of this comes from building up feel and practice?

So I would think (please no offence to anyone with differing views, just my humble opinion) that those good at shortgame is more due to practice rather than coaching. Argument is how much of shortgame success = practice/feel versus technique?

Heard that pros spend 70% of training time chipping putting. It seems to suggest that practice is the key. Others, feel free to share your views Smile

4dtoto wrote:
Hi, I am low 90s player...but findling a coach to improve yor shortgame will cut some strokes.. logic, can chip nearer and make 1 less putt..just need 5 holes and you are low 80s
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:45 am

Bro Buweeza, can I latch on your thread and ta pao extra questions?

1. how many rounds did you play from a 18-20 hcapper to 8-10 hcapper?

2. how many putts do you take in a round on average?

3. is your iron lie angle more flat or more upright or it didn't matter?

Thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:49 am

I beg to differ on the coaching for short game.... I would recommend JHan18 if you want some short game practise. Warren Country club have conditions that you have just mentioned. Fundamentals understanding aka what you need to do is the key to better short game in my experience. They you will need to find out how you can constantly achieve what you need to do aka technique.

Before you can spend the time on the practise, you should first understand why you are practising that area.
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:53 am

buweeza wrote:
I have this impression/view (may not be right): If you go to a coach for shortgame coaching, often he takes you to the chipping green and makes you go through putting routines.

On the actual course, chipping/pitching situations are so varied. Behind bunker, downslope/upslope, long grass, flag position etc etc. Every pitch/chip is different and alot of the time the success of a chip/pitch depends on feel , judgement and experience. Putting: A coach can teach you technique / concept but from experience alot of times real life putting depends on reading the line and strength control. Don't think a coach can teach you much on how to read a line and most of this comes with experience/personal judgement. Strength control: Coach can teach concept etc but most of this comes from building up feel and practice?

So I would think (please no offence to anyone with differing views, just my humble opinion) that those good at shortgame is more due to practice rather than coaching. Argument is how much of shortgame success = practice/feel versus technique?

Heard that pros spend 70% of training time chipping putting. It seems to suggest that practice is the key. Others, feel free to share your views Smile

4dtoto wrote:

Chip and feel.. Chip come from techniques..feel come from practise..Do you have all teh techniques to play different chip? high , low, run, check stop, turn right, turn left, flop, back spin ? these are techniques. feel for all these shots for proper distance control...

Putting, long putt , short putt, line reading, where teh sun, where the water, how the grains, what type of grass, where the mountain, uphill, downhill side slope,....

Need to say more why need a good short game coach ?? hehehe
Back to top Go down
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:55 am

Suspicious wrote:
mowen wrote:
Play more often ..

As I have mentioned ..

If you admit you are better than MC 2-2

Same standard as MC 3-3

MC better than you 4-4

You can never beat MC in golf 5-5

Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:56 am

mowen wrote:
Suspicious wrote:
mowen wrote:
Play more often ..

As I have mentioned ..

Same standard as MC 3-3

MC better than you 4-4

Ex-Partner WMF... See! It is already starting.
Back to top Go down
Suspicious
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:57 am

mowen wrote:
Suspicious wrote:
mowen wrote:
Play more often ..

As I have mentioned ..

Same standard as MC 3-3

MC better than you 4-4

Hmm... How about

I don't care about MC since he's not playing in L-H game 1-2-3
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:58 am

pushslice wrote:
Bro Buweeza, can I latch on your thread and ta pao extra questions?

1. how many rounds did you play from a 18-20 hcapper to 8-10 hcapper?

2. how many putts do you take in a round on average?

3. is your iron lie angle more flat or more upright or it didn't matter?

Thanks Very Happy

I didnt play more golf to get from high to low hcp, but i felt that i needed more to games to maintain being a low hcp range. But key is fundamentals, if you have something to fall back on, its hard for you to make error. I am very sure capt low doesnt play as often as before but he still always 3-4 over per round, worst is around 8 over but still cannot beat him.

As for your lie angle question bro, we adjsut lie angle not to improve the game, but to make sure we dun blame our bad shots on equipment problem. Smile
Back to top Go down
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:07 pm

Suspicious wrote:
mowen wrote:
Suspicious wrote:
mowen wrote:
Play more often ..

As I have mentioned ..

Same standard as MC 3-3

MC better than you 4-4

Hmm... How about

I don't care about MC since he's not playing in L-H game 1-2-3

we are playing golf this sunday right .. what is 1-2-3 ??
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:10 pm

When I used to play on course 3~5 times a week, I played low 80s.
Now I can only go to range 2 times a week, 1 game per 2 weeks, I play high 90s
I think more practice on the course is the key to achieve low 80s but one must have the right tactic first. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Suspicious
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:11 pm

1-2-3 ...
par 3 1 stroke
par 4 2 stroke
par 5 3 strokes

ya we playing... first flight again right...
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:14 pm

Tend to agree with this. A key for me to break below 90 was to up frequency of play. When I was clearing leave during the year end, I had chance to play solo on the course on weekday. Great opportunity to improve. Sometimes nobody there can practice all you want (from approach shot to chip/pitch)

jimmychoo wrote:
When I used to play on course 3~5 times a week, I played low 80s.
Now I can only go to range 2 times a week, 1 game per 2 weeks, I play high 90s
I think more practice on the course is the key to achieve low 80s but one must have the right tactic first. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:26 pm

This opens another field of discussion. There are some who use all kinds of clubs for pitching chipping. i.e. aim to chip onto green and adjust clubs for roll depending on flag position. My opinion is that this adds even more complications to the game. For most of us who work, time is limited. We don't have so much chance on green or spare time to really work on so many variations.

I have tried. e.g use 5 iron / hybrid for chips where flag is far in. But on actual play itself it is really a hassle to spend time selecting club for the chip. Esp on SG weekends when course is usually full.

Also, some spend time training how to "shape shots". Low shot, draw/fade etc. Not sure on how much value-add/impact this can do for us amateur golfers but I often see flight mates trying out different type of advanced shots on course. Sure, if they get it right it looks/feels amazing. From my experience, failure rate is high. For a difficult shot, I will opt for the safer style of approach rather to try a low probability method of approach. If tree blocks my path to the pin, I achieve better success by playing an extra shot rather than try to get around with a high/low, draw/fade. Attempting those often lead to situations described as "digging one's own grave". There is where those triple bogeys come from Smile just my 2 cents.

Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:32 pm

If I compare my game when I was playing low 80s consistently with the occasional 70s round, as compared to high 80s and mid 90s now, a couple of things stand out.

1. More accurate Iron and Hybrid Play - shots into the green are accurate or pretty close to the green with occasional chances at birdie putts

2. Short game much sharper - the initial chip or short pitch is much closer to the hole giving a realistic chance at making one putt

3. 3-6 putt accuracy much higher - making much higher percentage of these kind of putts

As for specific short game coaching, my personal opinion is that it is a must. There are many different techniques involved for intermediate and advanced level short game. You might already have reached a plateau with your current technique and would probably benefit from some 1-1 time with a good coach. Coaches teach beginners and experienced players differently. As long as you have an open mind, it will be an enjoyable session.

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:13 pm

I don't play below 80, hell, I have yet to break 100 but came close over the past few months. I hope that with what I share, can help you.

Sometime back, I was introduced to a japanese man in his early 50's who owns a japanaese restaurant here in HCMC. After spending like USD$200 at his restaurant and talking about golf, he mentioned a few things and I will specificaly talk about putting,

He NEVER practices short putting. He said that it must be a forgone conclusion that you WILL MAKE ALL SHORT PUTTS within a 3-4 ft radius around the hole. He practices only long putts, fringe, off the fringe etc etc and aims to put the ball within that radius. He does not practice with range balls, he practices with used balls. he averages below 30 putts per round. and also his short game is amazing. He uses only 1 club. 56* for all his shots around the green and bunker.
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:53 pm

buweeza wrote:

I am playing high 80s at the moment and wanted to know which part of my game really makes the difference to break below 85 consistently.

Most part of my game is okay. If I were to judge my play, I would think my strength is on Iron and not so fantastic is putting. If ball is on fringe / long-putt, I usually end up bogey.

You "think" your strength is ......... whereas you could/ should be certain!!! Highly recommend you take note of some stats the next time you play a round ... it may seem like a bit of work, but it so worth it! Here's an example below ... takes all of secs

once you have the stats ... you can analyze them, identify weaknesses and attack them ... additionally, there are countless resources on the web to match them up against
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:55 pm

That's what I do as well. I try to record where I end up, GIRs, FIRs, putts etc. But it gets very demoralizing.

But looking at your score card, I'm amazed!! Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Today at 8:04 am

Back to top Go down

To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next