Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:56 pm

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_5_57/ai_n26827727/
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:17 pm

mowen wrote:
Play more often ..

but it din work for u.......

cos your notes still with me....

What a Face
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:24 pm

95-2 x GIR. So, 8 GIRs = should end up below 80? Hmmm...

Assume all GIRs ends up in a Par: 8-Pars and 10 bogeys still = 82. That's assuming you never play a double-bogey +, 3-putt a GIR etc. I usually get into trouble about 1 holes each 9 (2 holes out of 18). End up with a double-bogey or triple if really bad...

TourSwing wrote:
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:54 pm

Quote: I didnt play more golf to get from high to low hcp, but i felt that i needed more to games to maintain being a low hcp range. But key is fundamentals, if you have something to fall back on, its hard for you to make error. I am very sure capt low doesnt play as often as before but he still always 3-4 over per round, worst is around 8 over but still cannot beat him.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alamak age catching up la... True I am golfing much less recently... Scores also suffer by 10 strokes due to being 2 minded and sometime short of confidence or being unsure ! Always rely on basic fundamentals in a golf swing, able to recognise own swing mistakes during the round and able to correct instantly is a big plus, but most important a reliable short game will safe the day! The moment u can't putt or chip, it is like adding 18 strokes to the total scores ! Which literally becomes 90! Lastly, length is not of an important factor if we just want scores to be around 77 Smile
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:55 pm

buweeza wrote:
95-2 x GIR. So, 8 GIRs = should end up below 80? Hmmm...

Assume all GIRs ends up in a Par: 8-Pars and 10 bogeys still = 82. That's assuming you never play a double-bogey +, 3-putt a GIR etc. I usually get into trouble about 1 holes each 9 (2 holes out of 18). End up with a double-bogey or triple if really bad...

TourSwing wrote:

... and a single handicapper, when missing GIR, is expected to get up & down for par a number of times per round
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:58 pm

and68low wrote:
Quote: I didnt play more golf to get from high to low hcp, but i felt that i needed more to games to maintain being a low hcp range. But key is fundamentals, if you have something to fall back on, its hard for you to make error. I am very sure capt low doesnt play as often as before but he still always 3-4 over per round, worst is around 8 over but still cannot beat him.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alamak age catching up la... True I am golfing much less recently... Scores also suffer by 10 strokes due to being 2 minded and sometime short of confidence or being unsure ! Always rely on basic fundamentals in a golf swing, able to recognise own swing mistakes during the round and able to correct instantly is a big plus, but most important a reliable short game will safe the day! The moment u can't putt or chip, it is like adding 18 strokes to the total scores ! Which literally becomes 90! Lastly, length is not of an important factor if we just want scores to be around 77 Smile

tips from our no. 1 lo hei pick in 2 years running!

capt whn eat bkt??????
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:07 pm

and68low wrote:

Capt.... scores got suffer meh... i remember i play 4 over on 1 9 with you giving me 2 strokes recently, i still lost that 9 cos you shot even par.... Sad
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:12 pm

With all the negative advert u post .. Now I know why I have so little games nowadays ... Haizzz
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:15 pm

Bkt.. Surely kian ... Next week I am ok.. Gather a few and we discuss how to pig the other on the LOH hei game!
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:46 pm

and68low wrote:
Bkt.. Surely kian ... Next week I am ok.. Gather a few and we discuss how to pig the other on the LOH hei game!

capt...can we do next Tuesday? Very Happy

let me check with the rest too...if bkt canot we eat somethg else?
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:13 pm

Can i join BKT ?
Back to top Go down
JetA1
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:19 pm

Guys... Where do u all normally go for ur BKT?
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:22 pm

bob...u pick me up? keekee

normally we eat at ah hua...
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:00 pm

and68low wrote:
With all the negative advert u post .. Now I know why I have so little games nowadays ... Haizzz

I only post the truth, it's always a honor playing with u and witnessing your short game prowess, believe it or not, me and slinger still trying to back spin from 30m like how u do it but...... Haiz.

Looking forward to our game next week although I know my pocket will be lighter. But I am sure it will bring out my A game and hopefully continue for the medal game on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:15 pm

buweeza wrote:
I have this impression/view (may not be right): If you go to a coach for shortgame coaching, often he takes you to the chipping green and makes you go through putting routines.

On the actual course, chipping/pitching situations are so varied. Behind bunker, downslope/upslope, long grass, flag position etc etc. Every pitch/chip is different and alot of the time the success of a chip/pitch depends on feel , judgement and experience. Putting: A coach can teach you technique / concept but from experience alot of times real life putting depends on reading the line and strength control. Don't think a coach can teach you much on how to read a line and most of this comes with experience/personal judgement. Strength control: Coach can teach concept etc but most of this comes from building up feel and practice?

So I would think (please no offence to anyone with differing views, just my humble opinion) that those good at shortgame is more due to practice rather than coaching. Argument is how much of shortgame success = practice/feel versus technique?

Heard that pros spend 70% of training time chipping putting. It seems to suggest that practice is the key. Others, feel free to share your views Smile

4dtoto wrote:
Hi, I am low 90s player...but findling a coach to improve yor shortgame will cut some strokes.. logic, can chip nearer and make 1 less putt..just need 5 holes and you are low 80s

engage a coach that conduct his lesson on the course...
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:16 pm

and68low wrote:

Tink the Sunday kranji gang gonna see more of capt Liao heehee
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:20 am

kian wrote:
and68low wrote:

capt...can we do next Tuesday? Very Happy

let me check with the rest too...if bkt canot we eat somethg else?

Tuesday sounds good.. Call me !
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:28 am

Duffy... Me too looking forward to Friday ! I am prepared for donation ... In hk now doing my "drills" and weight shift ! Feels one piece one piece and not whole piece(translate from hokkien)
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:34 pm

Following advice, I diligently recorded my game on Saturday. I played a round of 90 with the following stats. 10/14 drives on fairways. 7 GIRs. 40 putts. (4-three putts). Putting was not really on form but wasn't too bad. Just missed the hole by abit (one of those days where nothign special happens). Plan is to practice more short-game.. especially chipping since I diagnose my putts could have been much reduced had I managed to chip the balls nearer the hole!

TourSwing wrote:
buweeza wrote:

I am playing high 80s at the moment and wanted to know which part of my game really makes the difference to break below 85 consistently.

Most part of my game is okay. If I were to judge my play, I would think my strength is on Iron and not so fantastic is putting. If ball is on fringe / long-putt, I usually end up bogey.

You "think" your strength is ......... whereas you could/ should be certain!!! Highly recommend you take note of some stats the next time you play a round ... it may seem like a bit of work, but it so worth it! Here's an example below ... takes all of secs

once you have the stats ... you can analyze them, identify weaknesses and attack them ... additionally, there are countless resources on the web to match them up against
Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:50 pm

CATEGORY 71 75 79 81 85 89
GIR 12 10 8 7 5 3
% Fairways 81 71 61 56 46 36
Iron Accuracy 80 68 53 47 33 20
Putts per Round 29.0 30.3 31.7 32.3 33.7 35.0
Pitch/Chip/Sand 5.1 7.4 9.8 10.9 13.3 15.6
Birdies 3.2 2.4 1.8 1.5 0.8 0.1
Pars 11.8 10.3 8.8 8.1 6.6 5.1

I use the table above to see where I should be improving. With 7 girs and 10/14 fairways, you should be playing low 80s if not for your putting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently   Today at 6:18 am

Back to top Go down

To all the GR amateurs playing low 80s consistently
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2