Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Singh, Sabbatini in caddy row

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Singh, Sabbatini in caddy row   Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:54 pm

The PGA Tour is going to "take a look" at a verbal confrontation between Rory Sabbatini and Vijay Singh in Honolulu.

The PGA Tour is going to take a "look at" a verbal confrontation between South Africa's Rory Sabbatini and Fiji veteran Vijay Singh during the third round of the Sony Open in Honolulu on Saturday.

This according to the PGA Tour vice president for rules, Mark Russell, with whom Sabbatini attempted to lay an on-course complaint against Singh for verbally abusing his (Sabbatini's) caddy, Mick Doran.

Russel was quoted by the New York Times as saying: "These guys are very competitive players. They don't always agree on everything. But it is a gentleman's sport, and that's why we're going to take a look at it."

According to the NY Times, volunteers who said they witnessed the incident, reported that Singh, immediately after missing a 6-foot par put on the first hole of his third round in which he was paired with Sabbatini, swore at Doran for moving while he was in the process of making the putt.

When Sabbatini came to the defense of Doran, Singh swore at him too - and so loudly that volunteer marshals near the gallery ropes heard what he said.

Singh, who is not one of the Tour's most laid-backed members, and Sabbatini, who is generally acknowledged as the No 1 hot-head on the Tour, then became embroiled in a heated argument that had tournament officials and spectators wide-eyed with amazement.

One security volunteer, Alan Awana, said he had "never seen anything like it" in his more than two decades of working at the tournament.

When Sabbatini approached Russell with his complaint after the round, he was told to e-mail it to the PGA Tour Competitions department and to include all relevant details of the incident, including who said what.

When approached for comment after signing for a 69 on Sunday and a 72-hole tally of five-under 275, Sabbatini opted not to say whether he had acted upon Russell's advice.

"That's between me and the tour," Sabbatini said.

But he did confirm the facts of the story provided by the volunteers and said: "The only thing I told Vijay is that whatever he was saying to my caddie was inappropriate. I was just sticking up for my caddie, who didn't deserve to be talked to in that manner."

Singh, who closed with a 68 to finish at three-under 277, described what happened as, "Just some misunderstanding," and added, "That's it. We're cool."

Sabbatini didn't feel the same way. "Vijay definitely needs to approach my caddie and resolve the situation.".

It was the second time in two weeks that Doran has found himself in the public spotlight

At the season's opening Tournament of Champions last week, Sabbatini was given a two-stroke penalty during the second round for a late arrival at the first tee.

He was on the practice green putting when his name was called. Doran took the blame, saying his watch was a few minutes slow.

This is not the first time Sabbatini has been involved in an on-course verbal confrontation, Last year he engaged Sean O'Hair over slow play in the PGA Tour event in New Orleans.

He was reported to have texted O'Hair afterward and told him to give him a call, and in the conversation that followed he apologized.

That confrontation came on the heels of an episode involving Sabbatini during the tour stop in Los Angeles when he berated a teenage volunteer who was trying to help him find his lost ball.

source page
Back to top Go down
Singh, Sabbatini in caddy row
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1