Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

how to get distance with driver?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:18 am

willbudiman wrote:
zhenxua wrote:
I hit my 7i shorter than you but can match you in 3w and driver distance, apparently you're losing distance as the club gets longer, and the most likely reason is good impact, or the lack of it

like what bro eiji said, go see a coach, one session could just solve your issue

bro zhenxua,

u r the exact reason i cant help but wonder what is happening to my driver Laughing

apart from the driver, my other clubs seems to be doin okay..i hit my 3i about 190m and my 4 hybrid about 180-185m, 5i at 170-175m..did a fitting at bfg jakarta courtesy of the resident pro there, william, who happens to be a longtime pal back in college, apparently i generate too much spin. changed my shaft, still does nothing..maybe its time for me to pay him another visit tongue

More often than not, its the swing rather than the equipment to blame!

Bro, is that a pic of you hitting a driver in your avatar? If so, then it seems your stance is too narrow, causing you to come in steep at the ball, and therefore far too much backspin!

Try widening your stance , with the insides of your feet approx. shoulder width apart. Ball should be left heel or even slightly further left. This will result in a shallower swing ... and the ball will disappear Beer
Back to top Go down
guy013
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:33 am

sandkie wrote:
http://golf.about.com/od/golftips/a/hitting460cc.htm

This is what help me to get my driver longer.
I hit my 7i about 135, and my driver used to be 200. Now it is 210-220.
Ping G5 regular stock shaft.

Using this method the ball flies high and yet still roll. Maybe you can try it.

Wow. Its quite scary that the article describes exactly how I try to hit with my driver. Trust me it definitely does work for me.

The other thing that the article doesn't mention is to take a shallower swing. In effect u want to tee the ball as High as your tee allow and take a real basebal swing at it. Not sure if that's the right way but that's how I do it.
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:54 am

guy013 wrote:
sandkie wrote:

Wow. Its quite scary that the article describes exactly how I try to hit with my driver. Trust me it definitely does work for me.

The other thing that the article doesn't mention is to take a shallower swing. In effect u want to tee the ball as High as your tee allow and take a real basebal swing at it. Not sure if that's the right way but that's how I do it.

I have read the same article and applied... However my ball kept fading and fading... (remember when I played with u, my natural ball flight was fade or slice)

I have readjusted one bit now and it has changed to a baby draw by putting my right foot 3 inches behind...
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:03 am

Begbie wrote:
guy013 wrote:
sandkie wrote:

I have read the same article and applied... However my ball kept fading and fading... (remember when I played with u, my natural ball flight was fade or slice)

I have readjusted one bit now and it has changed to a baby draw by putting my right foot 3 inches behind...

Wow, appearing D plane method. Good for you bro
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:07 am

Slicer51 wrote:
Begbie wrote:
guy013 wrote:
sandkie wrote:

Wow, appearing D plane method. Good for you bro

Bro Slicer51, exactly, the D-plane simplified.... I believe your session with our bro Lee made you caught this instantly..
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:47 am

willbudiman wrote:
zhenxua wrote:
I hit my 7i shorter than you but can match you in 3w and driver distance, apparently you're losing distance as the club gets longer, and the most likely reason is good impact, or the lack of it

like what bro eiji said, go see a coach, one session could just solve your issue

bro zhenxua,

u r the exact reason i cant help but wonder what is happening to my driver Laughing

apart from the driver, my other clubs seems to be doin okay..i hit my 3i about 190m and my 4 hybrid about 180-185m, 5i at 170-175m..did a fitting at bfg jakarta courtesy of the resident pro there, william, who happens to be a longtime pal back in college, apparently i generate too much spin. changed my shaft, still does nothing..maybe its time for me to pay him another visit tongue

generating too much spin can be multiple factors, you must be hitting down on your irons, and hitting down on the driver as well with a negative angle of atack (-AOA) on the driver, this generates more spin and results in ballooning drives and loss of distance. That's something even changing shafts may not help much. Its best to see a pro to correct the swing and also match it up with a suitable driver shaft. The swing is more important than the equipment changes.

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:04 am

Hey Eiji

Just to help me understand.

negative AOA means coming down to steep?
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:08 am

nientsu wrote:
Hey Eiji

In short yes.

http://www.hititlonger.com/blog/article/5-steps-to-hitting-up-on-your-driver/

is a better link.

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:52 am

nientsu wrote:
Hey Eiji

In simplistic terms maybe one could think that ... however, the statement is not entirely accurate ... let me break it down ...

Note: for every downswing (whether shallow or steep) the club descends, reaches its low point, and then ascends again!

Negative AOA simply means "making contact with the ball" as the club is still in the descending phase ...

Look at the following scenarios:

1) Steep swing ... contact is made in the descent phase ... therefore negative AOA
2) Steep swing ... contact is made in the ascent phase ... therefore positive AOA
3) Shallow/ sweeping swing ... contact is made in the descent phase ... therefore negative AOA
4) Shallow/ sweeping swing ... contact is made in the ascent phase ... therefore positive AOA

As you can see a shallow swing can also result in a negative AOA!

However, if the negative AOA numbers are high ... e.g. more than 2deg down for the driver, chances are the player is indeed coming in too steep.

A number of PGA professionals still hit their drives with a negative AOA, and others vary their AOA depending on desired shape and trajectory.

Optimization for maximum distance: Shallow swing with impact on the upswing ... this gives a great launch angle with minimal spin!

A shallow swing gives the player a greater margin for error, as the AOA is not changing dramatically ...

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:55 am

I just grip it & rip it ~ please if this is the correct mentality to adopt for driver swing??

ROFL
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Vinny wrote:
I just grip it & rip it ~ please if this is the correct mentality to adopt for driver swing??

ROFL

Never works for me. When I do that, I get ahead of myself and end up outside-in. So, I slice the ball Sad

I figure that the best way to hit the ball is to find rhythm. And if that means dialing it down a notch or two, then so be it Smile
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:14 pm

there is an article on miximizing distance using driver...should provide a good idea ...

but whether can execute it anot..that's a different story again..haha !!!
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Vinny wrote:

ROFL

Never works for me. When I do that, I get ahead of myself and end up outside-in. So, I slice the ball Sad

I figure that the best way to hit the ball is to find rhythm. And if that means dialing it down a notch or two, then so be it Smile

Techno ... you are not alone ... slicing is something that plagues a vast majority of golfers ... yet it is one of the easiest flaws to cure! A pro should be able to sort it out in less than half an hour ... and once you learn the feel of coming from the inside ... you can go after the ball with everything you've got ... its the hook that doesnt listen!!!

Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:21 pm

TourSwing wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
Vinny wrote:

ROFL

Techno ... you are not alone ... slicing is something that plagues a vast majority of golfers ... yet it is one of the easiest flaws to cure! A pro should be able to sort it out in less than half an hour ... and once you learn the feel of coming from the inside ... you can go after the ball with everything you've got ... its the hook that doesnt listen!!!

Good advice. That's my goal for this year. To get a coach to help me with my driver and FWs.

I hit a sweet one yesterday. Purest driver shot I ever made. Felt really good but repeating it is v tricky. I'm hoping a coach would make that process that much easier.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
willbudiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:56 pm

wow..im amazed by the amount of replies i get overnight. thanks all shifus for the reply.

kinda too technical to understand but will try to practice them, and will let u guys know the results.

bro tourswing, yes it is me swinging my driver. fact is, i used to spread my legs around shoulder width, and it somehow makes it hard for me to follow through the swing, somehow making my left hand open up doing the "chicken wing" stance, resulting in a sliced shot most of the time. that is the reason why my stance is too narrow. however, thanks for pointing out that. hope that all the tips work.

hoping to reduce my hcp this year to 10 lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:05 pm

try this ... special attention to 2:36 onwards ...

Back to top Go down
willbudiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:07 pm

read all the links, one thing that brought me up to attention is the height of the tee..i like placing my ball low on the tee, where the top of the ball is flush with the top of the driver face..is that a major factor in losing distance too?
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Lisy wrote:
willbudiman..

It is time to change your clubs..

When you choose clubs.. don't just look at brands..
But really try it and swing it yourself..

I never know about this at first..
Until I try out different clubs at random.. just try it out..
I got so surprised at the distance I can reach..

So.. start going to those demo days and try it yourself..
Don't think Adam Golf is not good..
Don't think Srixon is nothing..
Don't think only Titleist or Taylormade can make the cut..
Try it you be surprised..

Swing Cheers Jump Cheers Jump

I second the motion on this!!!
Back to top Go down
http://facebook.com/pnchung
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:37 pm

adding to what Lisy has posted....

I liked to add what's making my other golf buddies outdrive me before.

They were using Beres MG 712. R flex

When I analyzed Beres driver.

Club head is just ordinary....

Its the shaft that makes their ball fly FAR FAR FAR

But since we don't liked Honma,

why don't you try using a lighter shaft weight.... like 50gram sflex
and see...

I have experimented on this and it really works.
TaylorMade has been using this already.
Lighter shaft on their driver to produce speed
Back to top Go down
http://facebook.com/pnchung
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject:    Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:48 pm

willbudiman wrote:
wow..im amazed by the amount of replies i get overnight. thanks all shifus for the reply.

kinda too technical to understand but will try to practice them, and will let u guys know the results.

bro tourswing, yes it is me swinging my driver. fact is, i used to spread my legs around shoulder width, and it somehow makes it hard for me to follow through the swing, somehow making my left hand open up doing the "chicken wing" stance, resulting in a sliced shot most of the time. that is the reason why my stance is too narrow. however, thanks for pointing out that. hope that all the tips work.

Not to complicate things, but standing shoulder width apart is the correct thing to do ~ with that stance, it takes the swaying and unnecessary upper body movement out, which in turn forces the golfer to rotate his shoulders...... In addition, we draw power from ground up where the shoulders & hips are the main source of power, thus with a narrow stance ~ you'll end up swinging all over the place and not squaring the club face @ impact.......

The common mistake where most golfers commit is swing fast & hard when they power up for their drivers. Unfortunately, its swinging smooth in accordance to your rhythm & timing that do the trick and not what is supposedly to be logical to us ~ fast & hard. Try hitting a few balls with fast & hard swings and another few with a smooth tempo to square the club face ~ the result is pretty obvious.......

Having said that, your swing path & plane will determine your flight & direction (that's how the boys on tour work the ball), but that's a totally separate story altogether.........

Of course, the correct equipment does assist with what you want the driver to do for you on course. That again is a different story also.........

Last edited by Vinny on Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
willbudiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:50 pm

im gonna try all of the tips, one by one..hopefully within a short while i will start to get more distance..now i just cant wait to go practice lol!
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:03 pm

willbudiman wrote:

The reason would be that you're swinging your driver faster and harder than your lower body can support the momentum which resulted in the inability to swing thru and complete your swing. Because of the inability to complete your swing, your club face could be open at impact ~ this is the situation where your hands are playing catch up to your torso & etc. If you're not as flexible or has a weak core, things are just not going to add up.......
Back to top Go down
willbudiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:05 pm

Vinny wrote:
willbudiman wrote:

The reason would be that you're swinging your driver faster and harder than your lower body can support the momentum which resulted in the inability to swing thru and complete your swing. Because of the inability to complete your swing, your club face could be open at impact ~ this is the situation where your hands are playing catch up to your torso & etc. If you're not as flexible or has a weak core, things are just not going to add up.......

any suggestion to help with that bro vinny? or just widening my stance would do?
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:13 pm

Bro,

Try going to YouTube and check out the slow-mo frames of guys competing in Long Drive Competition, you may just crack the code to hitting it long......

The golf swing is pretty much similar to the guys batting in baseball & softball matches, the only difference is that those guys are swinging a stick horizontally while we are swinging the stick diagonally ~ strength utilization & technique is quite similar. It will be even easier if you've indulged in the mentioned sports previously.......

Good luck on your journey to seek out more distance

Beer
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:17 pm

1 other thing ~ you may want to consider a driver with lofts between 5 ~ 7 degree. I am quite confident you'll get the distance you're looking for

lol!

Swing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Today at 8:39 pm

Back to top Go down

how to get distance with driver?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next