Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

how to get distance with driver?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
willbudiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:00 pm

wow..why the tensions lol! lol! lol!...just an advice seeking thread here guys..chill Very Happy

Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:58 pm

go 1 flex down sure hit longer.....in general. Among the high HCs i have played with, the long drivers all play R-flex STOCK shaft. played with one Ang Mo hitting easily over 250m (MBGC hole 17 1-on, hole 18 2-on white tees..think he had 3 maybe 4 putts for eagle)..surprised played TM Burner 10.5 S-flex, ASIAN spec.

This is distance...nothing about accuracy.
Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:51 pm

@willbudiman... did u manage to get your impact or smash factor reading off trackman already? That and your ball spin should tell you what is needed to increase your distance.
Back to top Go down
golfnut
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:24 am

willbudiman wrote:
wow..why the tensions lol! lol! lol!...just an advice seeking thread here guys..chill Very Happy

No worries bro. there's no tensions. can see most seniors here loves joke. a good way of relaxing too. my feel is that other than coaches advices, would love to hear from different opinions or experiences. Smile
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:25 am

tronos wrote:
go 1 flex down sure hit longer.....in general. Among the high HCs i have played with, the long drivers all play R-flex STOCK shaft. played with one Ang Mo hitting easily over 250m (MBGC hole 17 1-on, hole 18 2-on white tees..think he had 3 maybe 4 putts for eagle)..surprised played TM Burner 10.5 S-flex, ASIAN spec.

I've a playing partner who once hit 310 yards with this TM Burner SF 1.0 with 10.5 Deg Loft & S-Flex Ozik stock shaft. BTW, he is about 1.7m tall and weight no more than 68kg. He did it once so far with the new TM Burner (one model before the white head) that he bought about a couple of months ago from one of the parallel importer shops. His average driving distance is 260-270 yards. Therefore, I wonder sometime if it is necessary for amateur golfers like us to invest so much in after market shafts ... scratch

Last edited by Turbo on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:34 am

I can't comment on the top end shafts but if it is purely from a distance standpoint stock shafts work fine. I used the 2.0 TM SF and stock shaft got me 220-230m (total) with a pretty normal swing. Then I changed to a shorter graman shaft and distance is about 200m now.

Flex, shaft weight and length are the main factors (for distance) in my opinion. If you are 1.75+m, standard asian build. Get the 2.0 SF TM stock shaft and you should be getting 200-220m easily. If not, book a session with a swing pro.

I think 10.5, R flex should give you optimum distance. Although I had a 9.5 and S flex for SF2.0.

Of course if you are older / have some injury then need to re-adjust your expectations. I think a standard build SG male amateur with a relatively stable swing should average 190-220m in our climate.

If you are aiming to rocket pass the 250m point.. this is pretty hard to achieve on a consistent basis.

Turbo wrote:
tronos wrote:

I've a playing partner who once hit 310 yards with this TM Burner with 10.5 Deg Loft & S-Flex Ozik stock shaft. BTW, he is about 1.7m tall and weight no more than 68kg. He did it once so far with the new TM Burner (one generation before the white head) that he bought about a couple of months ago from one of the parallel importer shops. His average driving distance is 260-270 yards. Therefore, I wonder sometime if it is necessary for amateur golfers like us to invest so much in after market shafts ... scratch
Back to top Go down
willbudiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:37 pm

im currently using aldilla vs proto by you 65g S..i find that stiff shaft is better in accuracy. used r flex before and the ball just fly right and left all the time..however, i dunno if japanese and american stiffs are different in stiffness..does anyone know?
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:37 pm

I mean to be honest some "S" shaft are not as stiff as others. Then there is the saying that Asian/JP spec "S" is the equivalent of US spec "R". For example, my Graman 5.0 stiff shaft is definitely much stiffer than the SF 2.0 stock stiff shaft.

If your shaft is too stiff for your swing, you'd lose distance and tend to fade/slice. If it is too flex, you tend to draw. Read some articles that it is better to err on the softer flex (rather than stiffer flex). In general, you should use as flexible a shaft as you can control (again read this advice online). 10.5 and above loft is also recommended.
Back to top Go down
willbudiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:47 pm

buweeza wrote:
I mean to be honest some "S" shaft are not as stiff as others. Then there is the saying that Asian/JP spec "S" is the equivalent of US spec "R". For example, my Graman 5.0 stiff shaft is definitely much stiffer than the SF 2.0 stock stiff shaft.

If your shaft is too stiff for your swing, you'd lose distance and tend to fade/slice. If it is too flex, you tend to draw. Read some articles that it is better to err on the softer flex (rather than stiffer flex). In general, you should use as flexible a shaft as you can control (again read this advice online). 10.5 and above loft is also recommended.

bro, i know im losing distance with this shaft but my ball flight is draw/tendency to hook..when i was using R, the tendency is to fade/slice...anyway, if i decide to change to R, i should probably be using US spec R instead of asian spec am i right?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:53 pm

The tendency abt softer shafts drawing more n stiffer shafts fading doesn't apply to everyone.

Im one example that do the opposite. If a shaft is too soft for me, I slice. If it's too stiff, I hook.

Torque matters to me more. It's how u load the shaft that makes a diff.

Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:58 pm

willbudiman wrote:
buweeza wrote:

bro, i know im losing distance with this shaft but my ball flight is draw/tendency to hook..when i was using R, the tendency is to fade/slice...anyway, if i decide to change to R, i should probably be using US spec R instead of asian spec am i right?

instead of focusing on shaft flex, why dun u focus on the frequency of the shaft ie cpm

my ss is abt 100mph, from the ss/flex table, i shd be using a stiff.... looking at the stiff side, my cpm is between 248-254cpm

thus if i am in the market for a shaft, i just look for a shaft that between this cpm range (all factors reamin constant)

i dun care what flex it is stated on the shaft..... whether japanese or US

as for what flex is suitable for u...... u need to go on a journey of self discovery
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Slinger replied for me. Actually, if you have some regular golfing buddies you can always try their stuff out at the range. You'd be able to tell what kind of setup works for you and go for it.
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:45 pm

It has been a recent trend of my golfing Kakis to aim for buggy tracks to get extra distance...especially those downhill tracks....u probably need some experience whn u attempt this method Becuz the few times I tried...the ball either bounced into bushes,under trees or to the other green/tee box...
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:39 pm

I hit so hard today my driver head flew further than my ball

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:24 pm

the best solution is to get a R9 or R11 series driver and try all the avialable shaft u can borrow. sometimes trail and error is better and faster than a paper analysis on what suits u best.
Back to top Go down
willbudiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:47 pm

eiji wrote:
I hit so hard today my driver head flew further than my ball

i kind of like that idea bro eiji lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

bro kian, i dont think aiming for a buggy track is good..i suppose its somewhat leaving ur tee off to chance..u never know where the ball is gonna land and u can never know ur true distance.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Budi, you based in Indo? After reading through your thread I went to the golf shop (singapore) and test out various flex and lofts. Tried out various drivers as well.

There are some good combinations that gave me 20-30 yards more than the rest. If you have a pro shop with trackman, you should should experiment a little to see what works for your swing.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:18 pm

Pak Budi,

Which part of Indonesia you are in now. If it is in Surabaya, we need to play a round.
Back to top Go down
willbudiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:37 am

bro buweeza and slicer51,

pak budi is my single hcp golfer father..you can call me william if u guys dont mind lol! lol! lol! lol!

yes i am based in indonesia, more accurately, palembang.

i wouldnt mind flying to surabaya on the invitation of bro slicer to play Very Happy
Back to top Go down
willbudiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:39 am

buweeza wrote:
Budi, you based in Indo? After reading through your thread I went to the golf shop (singapore) and test out various flex and lofts. Tried out various drivers as well.

There are some good combinations that gave me 20-30 yards more than the rest. If you have a pro shop with trackman, you should should experiment a little to see what works for your swing.

went to BFG jakarta, tried out trackman..bought a shaft from them but looks like i need to get a refitting soon lol! lol! lol! lol! ..think need to change to R-flex
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:25 pm

willbudiman wrote:

pak budi is my single hcp golfer father..you can call me william if u guys dont mind lol! lol! lol! lol!

i wouldnt mind flying to surabaya on the invitation of bro slicer to play Very Happy

Pak William,

Of course, you are welcome to play in Surabaya anytime. Just give me an advance notice for me to manage my schedule and I can pick you out from the Airport.
Back to top Go down
willbudiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:27 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
willbudiman wrote:

Pak William,

Of course, you are welcome to play in Surabaya anytime. Just give me an advance notice for me to manage my schedule and I can pick you out from the Airport.

bro slicer,

gak usah repot2 dijemput..i have few friends in surabaya who can do that for me Very Happy Very Happy ..will let u know the next time im in surabaya..been wanting to try taman dayu..heard their fairway are one of the best in indo Wink
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:38 pm

willbudiman wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:
willbudiman wrote:

Pak William,

bro slicer,

gak usah repot2 dijemput..i have few friends in surabaya who can do that for me Very Happy Very Happy ..will let u know the next time im in surabaya..been wanting to try taman dayu..heard their fairway are one of the best in indo Wink

Tak repot Pak .. Pls note that I am an Singaporean staying in Surabaya. Just pm me when you plan a trip here. Yes, Twn Dayu consider to be one of the best here (claimed to be top 50 in Asia) .. not to miss ...
Back to top Go down
willbudiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:24 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
willbudiman wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:
willbudiman wrote:

Pak William,

bro slicer,

Tak repot Pak .. Pls note that I am an Singaporean staying in Surabaya. Just pm me when you plan a trip here. Yes, Twn Dayu consider to be one of the best here (claimed to be top 50 in Asia) .. not to miss ...

will do that mr slicer51..although not anytime soon..wife is due early april..will probably too busy attending to junior these few mths Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to get distance with driver?   Today at 5:53 am

Back to top Go down

how to get distance with driver?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4