Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Thanks Lee, the video is great!

Suggest this post to be marked as sticky note.
Back to top Go down
Daztasiumz
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:20 pm

good video thanks for sharing
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:40 pm

was half listening half working. So if people who cannot turn, then what is the solution?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:36 pm

Absolutely! Great video! Teaching PRO should get some teaching tips from this video.
Back to top Go down
shifu17
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:15 pm

yeah i really wished my own teaching coach had information from this video..would have helped all of us a lot
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:44 pm

Gray wrote:
was half listening half working. So if people who cannot turn, then what is the solution?

use more wrist
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:52 pm

What happened if I found out that lose 20-30m instead.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:54 pm

take more club?
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:00 pm

Let me just say I was expecting the video to help some people, but was not expecting such a warm, positive, large reaction.

My thanks to all those above who expressed their appreciation. Hope you don't mind I don't go into all of them one by one, but I sincerely appreciate every single comment.

For those who found it useful, if you have identified a body part that was holding you back in your swing, and you say, ok, so I have a problem, now what do I do about it?

Here's a fantastic exercise library, free, to help you work on the affected part.

http://www.mytpi.com/mytpi05/consumer/register.asp

Just sign up, and you'll be able to access the TPI exercise library, a fantastically rich and useful video resource.

After you sign in, go to Golf Fitness and click on Exercise Library.

There you'll be able to search for an exercise that works the part you want, whether you have a thoracic spine issue, hip mobility issue, etc. I think there are hundreds of different exercise videos in there.

You can select from the drop down menu, or enter the body part into the search engine.

My personal favourite is the Open Book Rib Cage Stretch. Using this exercise, I can actually pop the upper part of my spine and get tremendous relief where previously, only a well-trained masseuse can do it properly.

Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll see if I can help.

Cheers.

Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:23 pm

shifu17 wrote:
wow great video v informative.

i noticed he said right knee should be stable in the backswing. my right knee is usually almost completely straight (if not completely) in the backswing.

i googled and some people say it should bend only a bit, some say it's totally ok especially if u don't have as much flexibility in the hips etc. anyone has any views on this?

wondering if i should start trying to force my right knee to stay more bent

The proper knee bend very much depends on the style of the swing. For example, stack and tilt advocates the right knee going completely straight. Charlie Wi is an example, although I find on some of his swing videos his right knee is still slightly braced. Most other styles would recommend keeping the right knee slightly braced.

I personally prefer to keep it braced, like so. But first, a caveat, I am not a coach, just an avid swing researcher.

For now, since you indicated you are a beginner, listen and follow the advice of your coach and form a base from which to develop further.
Back to top Go down
shifu17
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:53 pm

finished my beginner lessons. my coach actually didn't mention a lot of things (including this knee bend). all stuff i'm realising and trying to figure out myself at the moment..
Back to top Go down
Yeoyc
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:18 pm

Great video
I have lessons with Paul and initially I had the reverse spine problem. He used this same test to highlight to me why I couldn't stop the reverse pivot. I was then given 2 options. I could go and do the exercises to remedy the hip mobility problem or I could play with my right foot slightly behind. This gave me a pre turned hip and solved the reverse spine problem. It's interesting when I go back to a square stance I can not turn my hip and the problem comes back. For now I am happy to play with the right foot back and in the mean time will work on the exercises he gave me to improve my old ageing body. I was impressed with how he could adapt a swing for me to suit my mobility issue. As for ball flight, it went from a slice to a draw and distance increased significantly.
Back to top Go down
Yeoyc
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:22 pm

shifu17 wrote:
finished my beginner lessons. my coach actually didn't mention a lot of things (including this knee bend). all stuff i'm realising and trying to figure out myself at the moment..
To be fair to your coach, maybe your knee was no having a straightening issue so why he never mention. If it was straightening then I guess he would have told you about it. So much information for a beginner so no need to overload the brain too much. Just my thought.
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:33 pm

Lee36328 wrote:
Let me just say I was expecting the video to help some people, but was not expecting such a warm, positive, large reaction.

My thanks to all those above who expressed their appreciation. Hope you don't mind I don't go into all of them one by one, but I sincerely appreciate every single comment.

For those who found it useful, if you have identified a body part that was holding you back in your swing, and you say, ok, so I have a problem, now what do I do about it?

Here's a fantastic exercise library, free, to help you work on the affected part.

http://www.mytpi.com/mytpi05/consumer/register.asp

Just sign up, and you'll be able to access the TPI exercise library, a fantastically rich and useful video resource.

After you sign in, go to Golf Fitness and click on Exercise Library.

There you'll be able to search for an exercise that works the part you want, whether you have a thoracic spine issue, hip mobility issue, etc. I think there are hundreds of different exercise videos in there.

You can select from the drop down menu, or enter the body part into the search engine.

My personal favourite is the Open Book Rib Cage Stretch. Using this exercise, I can actually pop the upper part of my spine and get tremendous relief where previously, only a well-trained masseuse can do it properly.

Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll see if I can help.

Cheers.

Lee, any exercise to stop my body / head from lifting up when I do the downswing ?

Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:09 pm

Wah Lao Eh..

Lesson : Never watch instructional videos during work.

I watched the video and was trying to do the "dis-association drill". Basically, for those who watched the video, it is the one where you adopt 5-iron setup and wriggle your backside. Obviously since it is office time I went to the usually empty photocopier room.

1. Adopt 5 iron position
2. Put hands across chest
3. Stick butt out
4. Twist butt continuously left to right

F******* hell my boss (lady) walked in when I was at stage 4. I had abit of trouble twisting but after a few minutes was able to twist it MJ. Just as I was getting really into it, my boss open the door.

Even though I stopped as fast as I can.. I think she saw at least 3 seconds of my vigorously wriggling butt action Sad

Plus I was so shocked I literally jumped up! Think I zek tio my lower back man.

Lesson: Don't watch instructional videos at work
I
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:17 pm

Laughing buweeza, you got talent.
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:18 pm

What we wan to know later is .... did you lady boss do anything to you ??? or ask you out for a drink after work ?
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:39 pm

haiz.. no leh! double whammy..
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:03 pm

Got a question...

Today when to OCC range and found that my driver swing got much better... can feel better contact, can feel the launch angle is must better, no more big slice, even the trajectory look swee... but...

Dunno why my ball descend very fast... base on the trajectory, it should descend to land around 180-200 mark... but at 130m, it start and end up landing at around 150-160 mark...

Is it my ball spin not enough to hold my ball in the air? Or could it be my launch angle too low?

I tried going for higher launch and end up slicing the ball...

Every shot launch and look swee and sweet then it land so short and kind of depressed...
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:00 am

Difficult to tell whether its too much or too little spin ... when the ball landed , was their any roll? If the wind was against you, then even a little bit of too much spin will cause a ballooning effect and the ball landing angle will be steep! In the case of too little spin the ball will drop quickly but not as steep
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:50 pm

Was aiming at a place here my ball landed on a up slope so the ball didn't roll much... There's 2 shots where I slice a little and the ball did roll for a bit... I think my ball slow but steep... Aiya headache ah...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive    Today at 6:46 pm

Back to top Go down

How I found an additional 20-30m in my drive
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2