Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 “The Iron Truth”

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2449
Join date : 2010-05-29
Age : 59
Location : Surabaya

PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:36 pm

eiji wrote:
Whether you hit it long or short. Short game is key to better scores once you can get your drives in play. So driving is important to keep in play, irons/hybrids to advance and a good short game to enjoy low scores

This applies to social golf/weekend golfers


Yes, with this though. Your short games must be getting stronger? My friend
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 2159
Join date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:30 pm

Perhaps instead of looking at the whole things as a "my way of getting to the top is the right way", we should take the different styles of players on tour as inspiration that there is more than 1 way to get to the top, or translated to us, become half-decent players.

Luke Donald's game is built around his short game and his iron game, improving his driving allowed him more opportunities to play to his strengths, but he is definitely a short hitter compared to his peers on tour.

Bubba Watson's game is built on distance and imagination.

Tiger's Game is build on technique and determination

Steve Sticker and Jim Furyk build their games on consistency and accuracy

Just a few examples, but all these guys are among the best in the world (even ranked 200 means that there are only 199 guys above you and about 100 million below you).

Some of us believe the way to improving is distance, some long accuracy, others short accuracy, others scrambling. It is just a matter of where you choose to focus, and perhaps what your physical limitations are. For some, it may be easier to increase distance by 30m for each drive, for others, increasing distance may no longer be a viable option or it may just be easier to work on short game or whatever other area. It is definitely not a one size fits all approach.

At the end of the day, to be a half-decent player, you are going to need to be competent in every aspect of the game, i.e. driving, long approach, short approach, pitching, chipping, scrambling, putting. However, there will always be parts of your game which are relatively stronger than the others, which is part of our individual golfing signature I guess. No real need to impose our method on improvement on others.

_________________
========================================
What's in the Bag

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2449
Join date : 2010-05-29
Age : 59
Location : Surabaya

PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:47 pm

Wow .. you are so deep. Well says Hooray
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 6193
Join date : 2009-08-22
Age : 35
Location : Training

PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:48 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
eiji wrote:
Whether you hit it long or short. Short game is key to better scores once you can get your drives in play. So driving is important to keep in play, irons/hybrids to advance and a good short game to enjoy low scores

This applies to social golf/weekend golfers


Yes, with this though. Your short games must be getting stronger? My friend

i just had 40 putts today, shot 99....how can my short game be strong.

got 6 GIR but only walk away with 1 par from the 6 GIRs today.

3 par 3s, i 1 on, 2 of them 3putt, 1 4putt.

_________________
Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 10.5* Ahina 60 R
PRGR EGG Spoon 15* MRC Fubuki Alpha 70S
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 19* MRC Fubuki AH R
Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1004
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Dubai

PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Derek wrote:
Perhaps instead of looking at the whole things as a "my way of getting to the top is the right way", we should take the different styles of players on tour as inspiration that there is more than 1 way to get to the top, or translated to us, become half-decent players.

Luke Donald's game is built around his short game and his iron game, improving his driving allowed him more opportunities to play to his strengths, but he is definitely a short hitter compared to his peers on tour.

Bubba Watson's game is built on distance and imagination.

Tiger's Game is build on technique and determination

Steve Sticker and Jim Furyk build their games on consistency and accuracy

Just a few examples, but all these guys are among the best in the world (even ranked 200 means that there are only 199 guys above you and about 100 million below you).

Some of us believe the way to improving is distance, some long accuracy, others short accuracy, others scrambling. It is just a matter of where you choose to focus, and perhaps what your physical limitations are. For some, it may be easier to increase distance by 30m for each drive, for others, increasing distance may no longer be a viable option or it may just be easier to work on short game or whatever other area. It is definitely not a one size fits all approach.

At the end of the day, to be a half-decent player, you are going to need to be competent in every aspect of the game, i.e. driving, long approach, short approach, pitching, chipping, scrambling, putting. However, there will always be parts of your game which are relatively stronger than the others, which is part of our individual golfing signature I guess. No real need to impose our method on improvement on others.

y so serious!!!? ... Very Happy

btw agree with you 100%


Last edited by TourSwing on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2449
Join date : 2010-05-29
Age : 59
Location : Surabaya

PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:00 pm

Your GIR is still higher than mine. It show that you hit accurate shots and drive is not short too. With all those hard work you have put in your game. I am sure you be a good player in no time. Sometime it is all in the mind Smile
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5410
Join date : 2009-12-05
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:03 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
Your GIR is still higher than mine. It show that you hit accurate shots and drive is not short too. With all those hard work you have put in your game. I am sure you be a good player in no time. Sometime it is all in the mind Smile

Pak Slicer, Eiji is now hitting straight and far with his WMD. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2449
Join date : 2010-05-29
Age : 59
Location : Surabaya

PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:05 pm

blee wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:
Your GIR is still higher than mine. It show that you hit accurate shots and drive is not short too. With all those hard work you have put in your game. I am sure you be a good player in no time. Sometime it is all in the mind Smile

Pak Slicer, Eiji is now hitting straight and far with his WMD. What a Face

See, I kena again Laughing
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 7236
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Sillypore

PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:05 pm

Hogan wrote:
So anyone who has found the secret to hitting it long easily, please share. Thanks.


If you have not found it, I am not sure if anyone else has. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 2159
Join date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:35 pm

TourSwing wrote:


y so serious!!!? ... Very Happy

btw agree with you 100%

cos I have not been drinking for a while ... need to rectify that tonight!!!!!

Beer Beer Beer Stretcher

_________________
========================================
What's in the Bag

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:43 pm

Actually all the pros, especially the top 50 in the world, their imagination on the shots are so good that they can execute of the shots that most of us cannot see. Especially if you see them live when they are in trouble. You'll see how well they can execute the shots when they are in trouble, of cos their short games are also excellent. Some commentators said before that Phil Mickelson's wedges are like magic ward.....
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1121
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:53 pm

"Bubba Watson's game is built on distance and imagination"

how to train for imagination...mine is quite good but it does not help me. I imagine getting HIO, driving 300m, backspin 5m, snacking my putts, even imagine situations with the female caddies.......but no improvements Sad

but i agree with you..need to see that you need at the moment.....driving distance seems to be the most popular improvement "need"

Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2449
Join date : 2010-05-29
Age : 59
Location : Surabaya

PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:15 pm

I think this problem is, you " even imgine situation with the female caddies" .. lost focus lol! Just kidding
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: “The Iron Truth”    Today at 8:22 am

Back to top Go down
 
“The Iron Truth”
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Which clubs to fill between driver and 4 iron
» Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?
» Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done
» Nakashima Iron ,Any review , any user ??
» I Wish To Look More PRO But I Use Iron Covers

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Tour Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.