Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Just wondering...what is golf pro?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Just wondering...what is golf pro?   Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:00 pm

Just wondering...what defines a golf pro? Is golf pro play scratch or better?
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 856
Join date : 2009-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Just wondering...what is golf pro?   Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:04 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Just wondering...what defines a golf pro? Is golf pro play scratch or better?

A golf pro is someone that has given up their amateur status.

Amateur Status is defined as

An “amateur golfer” is one who plays the game as a non-remunerative
and non-profit making sport and who does not receive remuneration
for teaching golf or for other activities because of golf skill or reputation,
except as provided in the Rules.

It does not mean you can play to scratch or better. There are pros that teach that have trouble breaking 80. You can also loose your amateur status by winning a hole in one prize for example or accepting a prize above 500 GBP.

There is much more info at http://www.randa.org/flash/rules/PDF/WEB_ROG_spreads.pdf
Refer to page 163 of the current Rules of Golf book
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1236
Join date : 2009-08-27
Location : Everywhere... but the golf course :(

PostSubject: Re: Just wondering...what is golf pro?   Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:53 pm

I've got huge respect for golf pros, being able to something so amazing day in day out...
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1158
Join date : 2009-07-01
Age : 48
Location : Little Red Dot

PostSubject: Re: Just wondering...what is golf pro?   Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:30 am

If one got a HIO and accepted the prize of more than GBP500, how long will it be before he gets back his amateur status? Also how would a governing body like SGA knows this person is no longer an amateur?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Just wondering...what is golf pro?   Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:50 am

Golf pros don't need to play scratch though I think many of them do so, and do better too.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
D_Iceman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 126
Join date : 2009-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Just wondering...what is golf pro?   Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:15 am

I realised there's a big difference between a good player and a good teacher.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 44
Join date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Just wondering...what is golf pro?   Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm

A golf pro is someone who use his/her golf skill or reputation to give instruction in playing promote, advertise or promote/sell something for financial gain (ie receive payment or compensation).

In strict sense, a golf pro must be a member of their respective Professional Golfers' Associaiton (PGA). as it is the Association set the standard of entry level fro golf pro in their country. So in Singapore, golfers could check the pro's credential by asking if they are member of Singapore PGA?
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1505
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 51
Location : AMK Detention Barrack

PostSubject: Re: Just wondering...what is golf pro?   Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:29 pm

Alan wrote:
A golf pro is someone who use his/her golf skill or reputation to give instruction in playing promote, advertise or promote/sell something for financial gain (ie receive payment or compensation).

In strict sense, a golf pro must be a member of their respective Professional Golfers' Associaiton (PGA). as it is the Association set the standard of entry level fro golf pro in their country. So in Singapore, golfers could check the pro's credential by asking if they are member of Singapore PGA?


Agreed with Alan ! Very Happy

Hehe...I am a Beginner Pro....means still a beginner after donkeys years ! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2514
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Just wondering...what is golf pro?   Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:33 pm

Uncle Lau wrote:
Alan wrote:
A golf pro is someone who use his/her golf skill or reputation to give instruction in playing promote, advertise or promote/sell something for financial gain (ie receive payment or compensation).

In strict sense, a golf pro must be a member of their respective Professional Golfers' Associaiton (PGA). as it is the Association set the standard of entry level fro golf pro in their country. So in Singapore, golfers could check the pro's credential by asking if they are member of Singapore PGA?


Agreed with Alan ! Very Happy

Hehe...I am a Beginner Pro....means still a beginner after donkeys years ! Shocked


UL ... sorry but i can't resist posting after reading this .... you played 45 holes and scored below 90 for your second 18 and 45 for the last 9 holes ... hence, please refrain from calling yourself a beginner ....

Mad Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Just wondering...what is golf pro?   Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:35 pm

Lamts18 wrote:
Uncle Lau wrote:
Alan wrote:
A golf pro is someone who use his/her golf skill or reputation to give instruction in playing promote, advertise or promote/sell something for financial gain (ie receive payment or compensation).

In strict sense, a golf pro must be a member of their respective Professional Golfers' Associaiton (PGA). as it is the Association set the standard of entry level fro golf pro in their country. So in Singapore, golfers could check the pro's credential by asking if they are member of Singapore PGA?


Agreed with Alan ! Very Happy

Hehe...I am a Beginner Pro....means still a beginner after donkeys years ! Shocked


UL ... sorry but i can't resist posting after reading this .... you played 45 holes and scored below 90 for your second 18 and 45 for the last 9 holes ... hence, please refrain from calling yourself a beginner ....

Mad Mad Mad

Hear hear!!

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3248
Join date : 2009-07-17
Age : 41
Location : Serangoon Central

PostSubject: Re: Just wondering...what is golf pro?   Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:58 pm

I believe UL is trying to say that he is a PRO but still at the beginner stage Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1505
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 51
Location : AMK Detention Barrack

PostSubject: Re: Just wondering...what is golf pro?   Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:04 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Just wondering...what is golf pro?   Today at 9:46 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Just wondering...what is golf pro?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» OOB GOlf
» My New Toy - the RC golf trolley
» Golf in Desaru or East Coast Malaysia
» Looking for Golf Coach (beginner level)
» iphone aps for golf?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.