Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Playing golf as a Professional in SG

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jelvinpost
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 54
Join date : 2011-04-28
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Good day all!

I've been thinking about this for quite some time and i realised maybe can find some pple on this forum who has done so or thinking of turning pro.

So question is what does it take for a amateur golfer like me to turn/be considered as a professional golfer?

Looking forward to hear from all of you guys! bounce

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 1725
Join date : 2009-06-17
Location : Laguna National Golf and Country Club

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:30 pm

http://sinpga.org/contact.html Beer
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 1830
Join date : 2009-12-23
Location : [strike]Tiong Bahru[/strike] Bedok

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:32 pm

How old are you and are u a scratch player already?
If you are like me, past 30 with wife and kid. stick to your day job :p
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1399
Join date : 2009-07-27
Location : Jurong

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:58 pm

I also wan to turn pro!
Back to top Go down
jelvinpost
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 54
Join date : 2011-04-28
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:10 pm

I'm 27..Not married no kids...
Not a scratch player yet tho.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 2159
Join date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:20 pm

I am sure JL and Justin can share their own experiences on becoming a SPGA Professional

Details are normally found in the entry form. Good Luck!

http://sinpga.org/May%202012_PRO_test__Entry_Form,%5B1%5D%5B1%5D.pdf

_________________
========================================
What's in the Bag

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
jelvinpost
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 54
Join date : 2011-04-28
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:25 pm

Derek wrote:
I am sure JL and Justin can share their own experiences on becoming a SPGA Professional

Details are normally found in the entry form. Good Luck!

http://sinpga.org/May%202012_PRO_test__Entry_Form,%5B1%5D%5B1%5D.pdf


Wow! Thanks bro! This is helpful..
Hmmm 6 strokes over par over 2 rounds.. not easy huh..
Shall work towards that from now!

Thanks alot!

More experience sharing is welcome.. i believe there are many more out there like me!
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2255
Join date : 2011-10-02
Age : 60
Location : West

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:33 pm

I want to apply Laughing . In my next life. Sad
Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 227
Join date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:56 pm

teaching pro or touring pro?
Back to top Go down
jelvinpost
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 54
Join date : 2011-04-28
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:30 pm

bkll wrote:
teaching pro or touring pro?

Touring pro?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 2159
Join date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:53 pm

jelvinpost wrote:
Derek wrote:
I am sure JL and Justin can share their own experiences on becoming a SPGA Professional

Details are normally found in the entry form. Good Luck!

http://sinpga.org/May%202012_PRO_test__Entry_Form,%5B1%5D%5B1%5D.pdf


Wow! Thanks bro! This is helpful..
Hmmm 6 strokes over par over 2 rounds.. not easy huh..
Shall work towards that from now!

Thanks alot!

More experience sharing is welcome.. i believe there are many more out there like me!

You are welcome.

However, less than 0.4% of golfers have a handicap below 5, and the proportion of scratch golfers is much much smaller, so I doubt if there are that many like you around. It takes talent and dedication to become a Pro Golfer, and that should be respected. Good luck on your journey.

_________________
========================================
What's in the Bag

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 486
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 44
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:29 pm

Jelvin. good luck in your quest. It is a great journey, but one that should not be taken lightly. Otherwise it is just a novelty like idea and there are better ways to throw away money.

What is it going to take? Good financial backing, solid fundamentals or innate natural ability, the willingness to practice until your hands and body hurt on a daily basis, in todays game the willingness to get in shape, a sound putting/short game, good coaching, and a little bit of luck.

I have chased this dream and it is no joke. The depth of talent in professional golf, let alone touring professional golf, is astounding. Shooting under par is not as easy as the people on TV make it look.

Sorry if I come across a little harsh as that is not my intent. But this is a real honest opinion of someone who has chased that dream for the better part of 15 years and understands what it takes and what is needed to succeed at the highest level.

Beer


Last edited by DRGjr72 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2411
Join date : 2009-11-29
Location : www.HuatLeow.com

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Wow, can try senior pro! ROFL
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 6384
Join date : 2009-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:37 pm

i asked a few guys if they know how much LCB has made this year and how much he has spent for travelling expenses for 2012...

anyone wants to make a guess. if you have a day job stick to it, even if you are talented and very good...unless you can be as good as David Lipsky.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:50 pm

Personally I think it's quite hard making a living as a playing pro here, unlike in US or Aust. If not CTH would not have shifted to KL.

Eric, I think per trip to any tournaments would be around 2-3K?LCB I think made more $$ from sponsor than on tour?
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 486
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 44
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:58 pm

enwee wrote:
Personally I think it's quite hard making a living as a playing pro here, unlike in US or Aust. If not CTH would not have shifted to KL.

Eric, I think per trip to any tournaments would be around 2-3K?LCB I think made more $$ from sponsor than on tour?

According to your initial statement you think it is easy to make a living a a playing pro in the US?

I am curious as to what the basis of this argument is?

I will grant you that travel expenses can be high here, depending on where you travel to. But they can be high in the US as well. Please elaborate on why you think it is easier to make a living as a playing pro in the US or AUS vs. here.

Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:05 pm

DRGjr72 wrote:
enwee wrote:
Personally I think it's quite hard making a living as a playing pro here, unlike in US or Aust. If not CTH would not have shifted to KL.

Eric, I think per trip to any tournaments would be around 2-3K?LCB I think made more $$ from sponsor than on tour?

According to your initial statement you think it is easy to make a living a a playing pro in the US?

I am curious as to what the basis of this argument is?

I will grant you that travel expenses can be high here, depending on where you travel to. But they can be high in the US as well. Please elaborate on why you think it is easier to make a living as a playing pro in the US or AUS vs. here.

U got me all wrong, because US more tour events there than just one Asian tour and prize money higher. Just like why so many people wanna go on the J tour because of the money. Why people come onto Asian tour? Partly because of the joint events that Asian and European tour events, if they win one of such event, they can secure a European tour card where there's bigger prize money there,see Jbe Kruger and Simon Dyson.
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 914
Join date : 2010-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:11 pm

It's not easy being a touring pro anywhere, hundreds maybe thousands are chasing that dream but how many actually makes a decent living out of it?

Like Eric said , stick to your day job and just enjoy playing the game.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:13 pm

Anyway I think most of the touring pro made more $$ from sponsor than playing?
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 486
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 44
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:19 pm

enwee wrote:
DRGjr72 wrote:
enwee wrote:
Personally I think it's quite hard making a living as a playing pro here, unlike in US or Aust. If not CTH would not have shifted to KL.

Eric, I think per trip to any tournaments would be around 2-3K?LCB I think made more $$ from sponsor than on tour?

According to your initial statement you think it is easy to make a living a a playing pro in the US?

I am curious as to what the basis of this argument is?

I will grant you that travel expenses can be high here, depending on where you travel to. But they can be high in the US as well. Please elaborate on why you think it is easier to make a living as a playing pro in the US or AUS vs. here.

U got me all wrong, because US more tour events there than just one Asian tour and prize money higher. Just like why so many people wanna go on the J tour because of the money. Why people come onto Asian tour? Partly because of the joint events that Asian and European tour events, if they win one of such event, they can secure a European tour card where there's bigger prize money there,see Jbe Kruger and Simon Dyson.

No I was just going off of what you said.

Yes there are more events, but does that make it easier? Maybe some attempt the J tour or the Asian tour or whatnot, but does that make it any harder because 20 guys from various places opt to play here? Is your argument based on travel expenses or is it based on difficulty of the tour? THere are mini tours in the US in most states, from there the top several typically go on to the PGA tour ( I can site several examples that are friends of mine), the European tour, the South African Tour, the Tour del los Americas, etc. The joint events here in Asia seem to be limited and unless you have some type of status or ranking, you are not playing in that anyhow.

My question to you is...Do you think Simon Dyson would rather play on the Euro tour or the Asian tour? You stated earlier that it was harder than in the US or AUS to make a living, so why does he not go there?

Back to top Go down
jocheang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 210
Join date : 2010-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:23 pm

I say go for it. What's there to lose? just start by taking the pro test..

Chase the dream even if it's just a semi-realistic one. You only live once and the last thing you wanna do is keep asking 'what if'.

You could be good enough! Don't let these guys breed self-doubt.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4972
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Always on the fairway

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:25 pm

i did a calculation

normally 4 days tournament.. plus 2 -3 days of preparation.

Plus air ticket / transport

exclude tournament fee..

caddy, physio.. coach..

per tournament easily SGD 8-9k
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 6384
Join date : 2009-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:31 pm

there is a huge difference between the top 100 players in the world and the top 30 from the european tour, players who have won majors and asian tour event.....in terms of appearance money, invitations for top 100 world-ranked players (usually with guarantee expenses), perks such as free accommodation and marquee cars, the big names get them but the lesser known players do not get any of those and they pay out of pocket.

playing on the tour is not as easy as it seems. for someone like JB Kruger, he has played on the sunshine tour and many years on the Asian Tour before winning and hitting the big one. he deserve it cos he is not afraid of trying to win.

i have a friend who flew in from Switzerland to play in the Handa and he made $0 cos he missed the cut under harsh weather delay, he then flew to Malaysia as first reserve and never even got a chance to tee off cos nobody retired before the game. Kiradech retired after 10 holes and that could have been Martin's chance to play.

so he spent all the money and he gets to play 2 rounds, hopefully Indonesia will be more rewarding this week.

as for LCB, he as made under US$4700 this year....he has played in 6 events so minus the singapore and malaysia event, he must have spent at least US$2500 to US$3000 per event including of basic travel, meal and caddy expenses.

its a tough life to be a pro but if you win you get TV coverage and the sponsors would normally based their sponsorship on media mentions or brand association.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:34 pm

DRGjr72 wrote:
enwee wrote:
DRGjr72 wrote:
enwee wrote:
Personally I think it's quite hard making a living as a playing pro here, unlike in US or Aust. If not CTH would not have shifted to KL.

Eric, I think per trip to any tournaments would be around 2-3K?LCB I think made more $$ from sponsor than on tour?

According to your initial statement you think it is easy to make a living a a playing pro in the US?

I am curious as to what the basis of this argument is?

I will grant you that travel expenses can be high here, depending on where you travel to. But they can be high in the US as well. Please elaborate on why you think it is easier to make a living as a playing pro in the US or AUS vs. here.

U got me all wrong, because US more tour events there than just one Asian tour and prize money higher. Just like why so many people wanna go on the J tour because of the money. Why people come onto Asian tour? Partly because of the joint events that Asian and European tour events, if they win one of such event, they can secure a European tour card where there's bigger prize money there,see Jbe Kruger and Simon Dyson.

No I was just going off of what you said.

Yes there are more events, but does that make it easier? Maybe some attempt the J tour or the Asian tour or whatnot, but does that make it any harder because 20 guys from various places opt to play here? Is your argument based on travel expenses or is it based on difficulty of the tour? THere are mini tours in the US in most states, from there the top several typically go on to the PGA tour ( I can site several examples that are friends of mine), the European tour, the South African Tour, the Tour del los Americas, etc. The joint events here in Asia seem to be limited and unless you have some type of status or ranking, you are not playing in that anyhow.

My question to you is...Do you think Simon Dyson would rather play on the Euro tour or the Asian tour? You stated earlier that it was harder than in the US or AUS to make a living, so why does he not go there?


When there's more events the chances of exposure is higher. There are so many smaller tour in US where they can judge on the standard. If u had not read on the strait times wk ago why Justin Han had to quit playing on the Asian tour and went into coaching and why CTH had to shift to KL?

As to answer your qns. As an Englishman, Simon Dyson definitely would play in a European Tour more. C'mon, if he can made a decent living in Europe I don't see why he should go to US? But who knows? Rory is going to play in more PGA events this year. Remember Michael Campbell? He was struggling in the PGA tour. But of course we are looking at the glamourous side of the pro on TV. Who knows how much work they had put into it?

As for the joints events, of cos they are limited or else might as well change the Asian tour name to European tour. But still it's a great jumping board for all these players.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4972
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Always on the fairway

PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:37 pm

i think selling equipment in GR is easier... kekekeke
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Playing golf as a Professional in SG   Today at 4:37 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Playing golf as a Professional in SG
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» What's your purpose for playing golf?
» How do you Beat the "Summer Heat" while playing Golf?
» Just started playing golf again, how does handicap work?
» Golf in Bangkok. Need advice.
» golf in phnom penh??

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.