Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Tweaking your drivers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
iceballx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Tweaking your drivers   Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi all,

I am still new to golf. I just got my R11S. I wa wondering how tweaking the driver from O+ N to C+ and changing the loft would help my game.
I have been reading online but i am just confused. Any gurus here that can enlighten me?
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:40 pm

Very much trial and error.. If your ball is going left, set to open face might help, and vice versa. Play it in the range with different setting to determine which one suits you.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:40 pm

If you are hitting straight most of the time, don't bother.
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:41 pm

here's my basic understanding. i'm sure there are many more ppl on this forum who have a better understanding and will be able to give a better explanation.

O = open club face
C = closed club face
N = neutral

Here is what the different settings are supposed to help u with (in a ultra simplified way).

(i) Closed club face. This is aimed at beginners who tend to slice the ball. (If you're right hander, slicing means curling the ball like mad to the right) As slicing is caused by an open club face at impact (in addition to an out to in swing path), closing the club face is supposed to reduce slice.
(ii) Open club face. This is aimed at more advanced players who want more workability in their driver. ie to shape the ball right or left etc. If u have a problem with slicing the ball, then you can forget about opening the club face.
(iii) Neutral. A middle ground between closed and open club face. This is what most golfers go for.

if u'r new to golf, i suggest u set it to Neutral. no point adjusting ur club to suit your swing if your swing hasn't even stabilised yet.

hope this helps
Back to top Go down
iceballx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:01 pm

thanx for the help guys.
How does adjusting the loft and the Club face help? Plus the R11S has adjustable weights.
how does that come into play?
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:46 pm

iceballx wrote:
thanx for the help guys.
How does adjusting the loft and the Club face help? Plus the R11S has adjustable weights.

hi iceballx,

you just spend a couple of hundreds of dollars on the latest driver in the market with no freaking clue what it does...
what do you do for a living.... Razz
there is of course instructions that came with the driver.. clearly you dun read..

ok now.. be good, watch the video and learn...

Back to top Go down
iceballx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:48 pm

hahahaha i have no clue also!

thanx for the video!
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:00 pm

iceballx wrote:
thanx for the help guys.
The loft is adjusted by changing the position on the ferrule.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:52 pm

Err... sell and buy another nonadjustable driver...Razz
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:57 pm

just my 2nd thought, when tm came out with the idea of adjustable wt in R7 some years ago. It causes a big hooha in the mkt and many people bought, but if you asked those who bought, did they ever adjust the wt before, many will tell u NO.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:02 pm

Neutral is the best... Fidget with it will cause more damage than good...
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:21 pm

If only I can drive like DJ...
Back to top Go down
whitedragon
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:00 am

If only the real world so nice , juz tweak here tweak there voila drive far far and straight... TM damn good in marketing Smile... I'm hopeful and tempted man
Back to top Go down
Franzlim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:14 am

ASP Plate
O - Open ( 1.5* open)
O+ - Open more (3* open)
C - Close (1.5* closed)
C+ - Close more (3* closed)
N - Neutral

Weights
1 gram on the toe and 10 gram on the heel - Draw bias
10 gram on the toe and 1 gram on the heel - Fade bias

Loft
STD - Standard loft ( Whatever the loft you bought your r11s in e.g 10.5*)
HIGHER - Higher loft ( +1.5* loft to your driver so now its 12* instead of 10.5*)
LOWER - Lower loft (-1.5* loft to your driver so now its 8* instead of 10.5*)
There are many other lines in between the loft settings, those are the minor loft adjustments.
If adding or or lowering 1.5* is too much, try the in between ones.

Yup.
So if you keep fading/slicing your ball to the right, try to set the ASP to C or C+.
If you keep hooking to the left, try to set the ASP to O or O+.
Then if you can't seem to get your desired height on your ball flight, adjust the loft to higher.
If your ball flight is too high, adjust the loft to lower.
If everything is ok but you are just drawing/fading A LITTLE bit too much, adjust the weights( though it's no big deal adjusting those unless you're a touring pro)

If after this you still don't get it, just go to this web and play with the R11S TUNING diagram.http://www.taylormadegolf.com/products/drivers/r11s-driver

Just in case ya wanna know, my R11 set up is ASP - N, Weights - 10g heel 1g toe, Loft - -1*
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:12 am

This topic arrived at the right time. I need help as I am still looking for the right driver now. Here my problem. It seems that I am unable to use driver that have club face that is closed in N. I am using a 10.5 loft R9 now and adjust to an open club face position and seems to hit ok drive with it. I have a 3 months old new 910 D2 driver, which the club face was much more close in N compared to my R9. I have tried to open the D2 club face to the max but understand it increase the loft of the club. I did not really hit well with it.

I try 9.5 loft drivers when I was told that the club face was close to 0 degree in club face. I hit better with it direction but not in distance. I just cannot launch the ball due to my swing speed and not hitting up enough at the ball.

Please do not laugh as I know it is all in my swing but hoping to get a driver to help me to improve in a faster way.

In saying so, am I correct that I need a 10.5 loft driver but with more 0 degree club face ? or get a 9.5 loft adjustable driver and open the club face to increase the loft (that does not sound right ).

Any advise ?

Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:30 am

Slicer51 wrote:

This topic arrived at the right time. I need help as I am still looking for the right driver now. Here my problem. It seems that I am unable to use driver that have club face that is closed in N. I am using a 10.5 loft R9 now and adjust to an open club face position and seems to hit ok drive with it. I have a 3 months old new 910 D2 driver, which the club face was much more close in N compared to my R9. I have tried to open the D2 club face to the max but understand it increase the loft of the club. I did really hit well with it.

I try 9.5 loft drivers when I was told that the club face was close to 0 degree in club face. I hit better with it direction but not in distance. I just cannot launch the ball due to my swing speed and not hitting up enough at the ball.

Please do not laugh as I know it is all in my swing but hoping to get a driver to help me to improve in a faster way.

In saying so, am I correct that I need a 10.5 loft driver but with more 0 degree club face ? or get a 9.5 loft adjustable driver and open the club face to increase the loft (that does not sound right ).

Any advise ?

shi xiong,

let me tell u my experience....

when the 1st R7 came into market, i was sold on the adjustable weights concept..... went n bought all the diff weights n play around with it, but in the end still got problems with the driver

before the R7, ppl hit straight with the whatever drivers.... so i tell myself to work on my swing instead, rather than find short cuts.....

i also play with adjustable driver heads, but i just switch to neutral or sqaure setting.....

unless u play pretty good golf, those settings will help your game, wanna fade u can fade, wanna draw no problem....

i tell my driver this: "fade, draw, top or whatever.... just find fairway, BABY!!"

JMHO........
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:57 am

slinger wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:

This topic arrived at the right time. I need help as I am still looking for the right driver now. Here my problem. It seems that I am unable to use driver that have club face that is closed in N. I am using a 10.5 loft R9 now and adjust to an open club face position and seems to hit ok drive with it. I have a 3 months old new 910 D2 driver, which the club face was much more close in N compared to my R9. I have tried to open the D2 club face to the max but understand it increase the loft of the club. I did really hit well with it.

Any advise ?

shi xiong,

let me tell u my experience....

when the 1st R7 came into market, i was sold on the adjustable weights concept..... went n bought all the diff weights n play around with it, but in the end still got problems with the driver

before the R7, ppl hit straight with the whatever drivers.... so i tell myself to work on my swing instead, rather than find short cuts.....

i also play with adjustable driver heads, but i just switch to neutral or sqaure setting.....

unless u play pretty good golf, those settings will help your game, wanna fade u can fade, wanna draw no problem....

i tell my driver this: "fade, draw, top or whatever.... just find fairway, BABY!!"

JMHO........

Thanks shi xiong, I hear you and back to square one to work on my swing Sad

Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:04 am

to both s51 and sl gurus,
this is my experience. got my 1st driver which is a 10.5 Cobra ZL. so so in terms of distance and with slice occasionally.

then BSI (back side itchy) buy R9 460 (9.5), R9 Supertri (8.5), buy a few shafts (from S to X-S), cut down to 43.5-45in, move the weights here n there, adjust the heads N-C-O etc etc. BUT still slice, if not slice more. Had been like that for the last 1yr plus.

Now go back to 1st love, my ZL. Just put neutral n hit. And to my suprise, most of the time it is on fairway. Beer

morale behind the story??? been there, done that. don't wanna play with those tech-y stuffs anymore liao... just hit a "beginner" 10.5 n get in fairway can liao. Bogey all da way I will still come back with 90 Smile *of course that had NOT happen yet* hahahah
Back to top Go down
sywog
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:10 am

I have a R9 which I am still testing out. At driving range 7 out of 10 slice. I vote this the best forum read for today. Thanks for starting and commenting.

R9, now i know, R is for "really"?
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:28 am

Batman wrote:
just hit a "beginner" 10.5 n get in fairway can liao. Bogey all da way I will still come back with 90 Smile *of course that had NOT happen yet* hahahah

I Like ROFL
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:42 am

Bro SBH,
No choice lar. Lousy player like me have to "Think positive to play positive".
Then hope and pray the score to be POSITIVE Smile

which in all cases, it is POSITIVE. only see POSITIVE how many only. cheers
Back to top Go down
iceballx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:04 pm

just played with my new toy today at palm villa.
7/10 on the fairways... Very Happy
Loving it...
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:23 pm

Bro, I do not remember I ever play in palm villa before but isn't usually only four par 3 holes and the rest were par 4 & 5. If so, isn't it suppose to be 14 fairway (7/14) why 7/10 ? 7/14 is about 50% fairway hit ?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:45 pm

maybe he did not tee off with driver for some holes?

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
iceballx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:14 am

some i used my hybrid or 3 wood.
i dun chiong every hole la.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Today at 1:28 am