Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Tweaking your drivers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:32 am

What a LONG MAN! Haha..
Back to top Go down
strokeguru
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Mon May 21, 2012 4:43 pm

just the other day i was in cathay cineplex and itchy went in to check the TM R11 driver and asked the guy about the tech info. He basically to told me that all these adjustments will make how the club sit when placed on the ground. So if you make the adjustments for a Closed face, then when you place the club on the ground it will look closed then you pick up the club. So in a nutshell, if you are the type of golfer that hovers your driver before you swing, these adjustments will not help you. Go there and ask the guy. he's pretty helpful.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Mon May 21, 2012 5:19 pm

I personally feel that the adjustment is useful as it can be adjusted to suit the golfer's swing but most golfers would not change the settings once the optimum is achieved. However, if a golfer has a relatively sound swing, then a driver without adjustment will just do the trick.

Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Mon May 21, 2012 7:06 pm

Most of the adjustable drivers allows you to open or close your HEAD BUT that also change your shaft alignment (not to mention it also alters the loft of it) --> means your shaft no longer spine to the right direction also.

Unless you find one that do not change the shaft alignment while changing the clubhead face to either open or close. I understand the new Callaway fit driver is design this way. For that matters, the TOUR model of it can adjust the clubhead face even without changing the LOFT of it.
Back to top Go down
slep3er
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm

Franzlim wrote:
ASP Plate
O - Open ( 1.5* open)
O+ - Open more (3* open)
C - Close (1.5* closed)
C+ - Close more (3* closed)
N - Neutral

Weights
1 gram on the toe and 10 gram on the heel - Draw bias
10 gram on the toe and 1 gram on the heel - Fade bias

Loft
STD - Standard loft ( Whatever the loft you bought your r11s in e.g 10.5*)
HIGHER - Higher loft ( +1.5* loft to your driver so now its 12* instead of 10.5*)
LOWER - Lower loft (-1.5* loft to your driver so now its 8* instead of 10.5*)
There are many other lines in between the loft settings, those are the minor loft adjustments.
If adding or or lowering 1.5* is too much, try the in between ones.

Yup.
So if you keep fading/slicing your ball to the right, try to set the ASP to C or C+.
If you keep hooking to the left, try to set the ASP to O or O+.
Then if you can't seem to get your desired height on your ball flight, adjust the loft to higher.
If your ball flight is too high, adjust the loft to lower.
If everything is ok but you are just drawing/fading A LITTLE bit too much, adjust the weights( though it's no big deal adjusting those unless you're a touring pro)

If after this you still don't get it, just go to this web and play with the R11S TUNING diagram.http://www.taylormadegolf.com/products/drivers/r11s-driver

Just in case ya wanna know, my R11 set up is ASP - N, Weights - 10g heel 1g toe, Loft - -1*

Just to add on. In addition to tweaking the loft, its good to know that when you lower the loft of the driver, you also opening the clubface more thus when you lower you loft you must change the ASP to close/close+ to return the club face to neutral and vice versa for increasing the loft of the clubface you have to set the ASP to open/open+.

For the weights position, i've read online the the 2 weights that comes with the driver will actually not promote straighter shots. Currently, im using 4g and 6g on my R11 driver and i think i'm getting straighter shots than when im using the 1g and 10g weights.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:10 pm

iceballx wrote:
hahahaha i have no clue also!

thanx for the video!

bro i oso hv this same driver which was fitted by Sebastian of SigmaOne Golf Studio. Suggest u pay him a visit and seek his professional advice to fitt it to u using the flightscope there... Its more complicated than u think is Smile
Back to top Go down
LateGolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:37 pm

any driver to recommend a newbie like me?? or shld i jus go train with any driver i have
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:55 pm

LateGolfer wrote:
any driver to recommend a newbie like me?? or shld i jus go train with any driver i have
Go try out before buying. Alternative get some 2nd hand one lah
Back to top Go down
LateGolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:11 pm

Ok but for start need to hit properly on the driver first..its much more difficult den irons
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:43 pm

For beginner, I would says try not to use any driver loft lesser then 10.5. Any driver loft lesser then 10.5 may be difficult for most beginner to launch the ball.

Driver may be difficult for most beginner to hit it without slicing it but at less they usually still can hit the ball with the driver big head of mainly 460 cc in size.

The next difficult club would be hitting a fairway wood 3 (especially). It is long with smaller head. Try to hit a 3 wood aggressively, usually will end up topping the ball and see it roll like a bowling ball.

Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:47 am

LateGolfer wrote:

What driver are u using now?

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
raylowwl
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:44 am

Hi all Senior,

Help needed.

I'm a newbie seriously taking golf at a regular pace at range for last half year, doinig so-so with irons, hitting 7i around 110m, 5w around 150, 3w around 160-170 but could not hit driver.

3w and 5w can hit straight 8 of 10 without tee. But driver sometimes only 150 or 140 3 out of 10, the rest worst.......

Is it my swing or driver??? using a 2nd hand R9 9.5 now.

If swing, any coach to recommend at bukit batok. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:19 am

raylowwl wrote:
Hi all Senior,

Help needed.

I'm a newbie seriously taking golf at a regular pace at range for last half year, doinig so-so with irons, hitting 7i around 110m, 5w around 150, 3w around 160-170 but could not hit driver.

3w and 5w can hit straight 8 of 10 without tee. But driver sometimes only 150 or 140 3 out of 10, the rest worst.......

Am no pro here, maybe some better players can give you better advise on this. IMHO, it could be your driver and your swing, try to use a 10.5 loft driver for easier in launching the ball. There some difference in hit the iron, wood and driver

May I know how old are you ? Sound rather short for 110m for 7i.

Get a good coach to look at your swing and equipment 1st
Back to top Go down
raylowwl
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:49 am

Hi Slicer, thanks, any good coach to recommend? Normal 7i how far?
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:14 am

As I understand, normally if it is not a swing issue. 7i shall range about 120 to 140 meter (some hit it much longer) depend on one build or age. Every iron usually about 10 meters in different. In other words, if your

iron 7i = 130m
your

8i = 120m
9i = 110m
pw = 100m

6i = 140m
5i = 150m
Back to top Go down
Dom....
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:34 am

nrafee wrote:
iceballx wrote:
thanx for the help guys.
How does adjusting the loft and the Club face help? Plus the R11S has adjustable weights.
how does that come into play?

hi iceballx,

you just spend a couple of hundreds of dollars on the latest driver in the market with no freaking clue what it does...
what do you do for a living.... Razz
there is of course instructions that came with the driver.. clearly you dun read..

ok now.. be good, watch the video and learn...

Wa after watching that video I feel like need a R11s. That would solve al the problem in the world doesn't it? Haha Taylormade
Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:56 am

raylowwl wrote:
Hi all Senior,

Help needed.

If you are hitting the driver only 140-150m, clearly something other than the equipment is wrong. There are tons of coaches at the CDAN/bukit batok range... some of them are prowling around for biz and would gladly give you "trial" lessons or tips. Try them out and see which one could communicate best with you to solve your problem.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:38 am

raylowwl wrote:
Hi all Senior,

Help needed.

Bro, I too had a problem with my driver for the longest time. I've tried various drivers believing that my swing was perfect but the equipment was flawed. Needless to say, it's the opposite. I didn't get a coach (though I'd recommend that you do) only because I couldn't find the time. But, I reassessed my swing and took advice from folks like Blee, Mloy, Derek, Begbie, Duval, Chocoman and several other hustlers here. I've managed to get my drives more consistent. They aren't perfect but I tend to put them more on the fairway than on the right beyond the OB sticks.

I've another secret... SMS me, if you wanna know more Wink

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Dom....
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:41 am

LousyGolfer wrote:
raylowwl wrote:
Hi all Senior,

Help needed.

If you are hitting the driver only 140-150m, clearly something other than the equipment is wrong. There are tons of coaches at the CDAN/bukit batok range... some of them are prowling around for biz and would gladly give you "trial" lessons or tips. Try them out and see which one could communicate best with you to solve your problem.

Really you can just ask them? I would think they would say 50 bucks one question, if need to demo add $10 everytime. Haha lol!
Back to top Go down
damylim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:19 am

No mater what face angle I adjust my driver to, istill end up slicing... sigh...
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:24 am

damylim wrote:
No mater what face angle I adjust my driver to, is still end up slicing... sigh...

Like that, have to change player lo .. just kidding Very Happy
Back to top Go down
slep3er
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:03 pm

damylim wrote:
No mater what face angle I adjust my driver to, istill end up slicing... sigh...

Hi bro, i think it might be due to you holding the club face square after impact. Perhaps you could try to roll over your right hand earlier, this will actually improve the slicing. Was experiencing the same thing as you before until i start to roll over my right hand earlier...it actually gives me straighter shots with my driver.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:18 am

slep3er wrote:
damylim wrote:

Hi bro, i think it might be due to you holding the club face square after impact. Perhaps you could try to roll over your right hand earlier, this will actually improve the slicing. Was experiencing the same thing as you before until i start to roll over my right hand earlier...it actually gives me straighter shots with my driver.

No offense but have to disagree with what you are saying. Square club face after impact do not contribute in slicing. Roll over of the right hand is natural thing that one should not force or even think about it.

Please read the " D plane ". It have everything to do with the club face during impact with the swing path of your club.
Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:56 pm

If I can add a few points as well.

Try swinging slower. Slice comes from an out to in path, with an open face at impact

Problem with driver swings is that it's much longer path, and you've got to hit up on the ball.

So hopefully with a slower swing, this gives enough time for the hands to catch up, and then close the face.

I find the white tm heads are good for seeing the swing path.

From my experience. Every time I pull driver, I see red and wanna smash the ball. What happens then is I tend to throw my right shoulder over rather than let it drop.

I think I've killed a few monkeys at bintan with that samurai chop.

Just some points on equipment, when I you deloft the driver, it somehow magnifies the side spin. So higher chance of being David Beckham with a super banana shot.

Also longer shaft normally means more difficult to control.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't fiddle around too much with the settings. Just try to relax, and turn your shoulders through the shot.

If that doesn't work, just hammer 200 balls with all you've got
Hammer till you realise relaxed arms actually swing faster.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the big dog.

Back to top Go down
iceballx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:16 pm

glad to see that this thread is still alive while the R11s has been sold...

keep it coming guys!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tweaking your drivers   Today at 6:23 am

Back to top Go down

Tweaking your drivers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next