Hall of Fame Golfer
Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19
|Subject: 7 tips to healthier Golf Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:00 pm|| |
Read this and sharing with all Brudders and Sisters...especially me being guilty of #2 below:
1)Walk the course as often as you can, carry your clubs while you’re at it.
Playing an 18 hole round while carrying your clubs burns almost 2,000 calories, this is the equivalent of almost two Big Mac meals from McDonalds, or nearly 9 beers – your body will thank you (just avoid eating crappy food on the course as well). In comparison, pulling your clubs kills over 1,500 calories and riding about 1,300. So really no matter how you play golf, you’re still getting some decent exercise.
2) What’s the most important thing in your golf bag?
It’s not your $500 driver… it’s your bottle of sunscreen. Spending 4+ hours in the sun is quite risky on a sunny day. Statistics say 90 percent of skin cancer cases are caused by the sun. Of that, over 20 percent are golfers. This is a rather skewed statistic as many factors can attribute to cancer, regardless; it’s not worth the risk. As an add-on, don’t forget your hat out there either.
3) Warm up before each round. Stretch and swing with a weighted club (or two clubs) for a good 5-10 minutes to warm your body up before hitting the first tee, not only will it get you in the golfing mood, it will also give your muscles and joints time to prepare for the physical activity to come. Common golf injuries occur in areas that respond well to stretching and warming up – elbows, back, shoulders, hands, wrists and hips – so be sure to take advantage of this.
4) Stop smoking, cigarettes and cigars. No matter how cool you may look, it’s not good for your body, your lungs and your stamina will also suffer. Not to mention, your playing partners, clothes and even the beer cart girl will thank you for not reeking up your general vicinity. I’m sure you all know the risks of smoking, so I’m not going to repeat them here.
5) Take some lessons, repeating a bad golf move or technique can lead to one of the common golf injuries listed above. Taking a couple of lessons from a professional can get your swing into better positions and help reduce the strain on your hands, wrists, spine, hips and shoulders throughout your swing.
6) Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate – drink plenty of water and fluids on the golf course… and this doesn’t mean alcohol. Alcohol actually dehydrates you, hence the wicked hangover on those nights when you’ve had one too many. Stick to water or Powerade / Gatorade (diet if possible) on the course, juice is the next best thing - it will help rehydrate you, while not adding too many unnecessary calories. Furthermore, if you can, eat healthily on the course, stay away from hot dogs, burgers and fries and stick to sandwiches and granola bars.
7) When the weather looks dangerous, get off or the course or seek shelter, asap. Lightning is not something forth flirting with, especially with 14 metal lightning rods in your golf bag. Statistics say lightning strikes 400 people in the US per year. The most common time to get struck by lightning on the golf course is Sundays in the afternoon.
Posts : 5118
Join date : 2009-06-18
Location : Home sweat home...
|Subject: Re: 7 tips to healthier Golf Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:00 pm|| |
Thanks mate!, Glad to see that I'm doing all the right things.
Can't wait to go back to the Land Of The Free to do #1.
As for #2, I truly believe its worth the yellow stains on your white shirt or SKINs to live longer.
Stay Thirsty My Friends...
Super Active Golfer
Posts : 1505
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 52
Location : AMK Detention Barrack
|Subject: Re: 7 tips to healthier Golf Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:53 pm|| |
Thanks DS for sharing ! It true we must take care when we play golf in Singapore weather !
Good Job !
|Subject: Re: 7 tips to healthier Golf || |
Total Donation till date to
Autism Association (SG): S$46,285
|» Kia Classic Preview, Pairings, and Much More!|
by tonyj5 Yesterday at 11:38 am
» Golf in Cebu
by freedrop Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:43 am
» OCC term member
by kspl Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:57 am
» Titleist Trial at MBGC
by Titleist Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:57 pm
» YouTube Golf Channel (by Yaozza)
by timang84 Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:45 pm
» Bank of Hope Founders Cup Preview, Pairings, and More
by tonyj5 Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:09 am
» Restoration of Scotty putters
by vivavic Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:25 pm
» Golf sunscreen is a part of your equipment. Why are you not using the best?
by golfersskinsingapore Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:57 pm
» Hello everyone :)
by willytan Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:53 am
» Looking for good golf coach
by willytan Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:34 pm
» LPGA Player Profile: Belen Mozo (Photos)
by tonyj5 Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:48 am
» JDM clubs - Worth it?
by willytan Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:05 pm
» Driving range to play on grass
by danielleecm Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:08 am
» Golf Bag Custom Embroidery
by montageme Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:38 am
» Stats & Facts Vol 32 - Fast Starts (and much more)
by tonyj5 Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:56 am
» HSBC Women's Champions Preview, Pairings, and Much More
by tonyj5 Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:33 pm
» Paula Creamer Parts Ways With Longtime Caddie!
by tonyj5 Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:10 am
» NSRCC ordinary membership...pls advise
by equin0x Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:49 pm
» How much is Ping Crossover?
by billcoke Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:41 pm
» my golf kaki - Whatsapp group chat
by felixchu Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:48 pm
» Kranji weekday voucher
by coe16arg Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:20 pm
» Honda LPGA Thailand Preview, Pairings, and Much More.
by tonyj5 Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:14 am
» Beginners' game for high handicappers...
by dayveed Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:06 pm
» Golfing Lab Ria Bintan Golf Camp in March 2017
by Jade18 Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:24 pm
» Sembawang weekend golfer
by dayveed Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:41 pm
» Need help with MBGC booking system
by billcoke Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:02 am
» Newbie usually at BB
by issey999 Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:51 am
» Most Popular Photos of the Year - 2016
by tonyj5 Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:44 am
» Coach for a complete beginner
by alfis Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:05 pm
» Thana City & Muang Keaw (Bangkok)
by Noriki Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:50 am
» ISPS Handa Women's Australian Open Preview, Pairings, and More
by Ant Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:06 am
» Newbie 2017
by izzx11 Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:57 pm
» Hello Everyone! :)
by dariustanbr Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:49 pm
» hi - new to forum
by dayveed Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:03 pm
» Ria Bintan's FIRST ANNIVERSARY Promotion!
by colin2011 Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:26 am
» Ria Bintan Golf Club
by sebastianlim Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:04 am
» Solheim Cup Update: U.S. Players Fighting For Remaining Spot
by tonyj5 Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:42 am
» 3D golf course mapping / rendering
by stormriders99 Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:47 am
» ELS Desaru Promotion Rate by me
by famacdonald Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:58 pm
» Green Horn with regular practise
by hockie1992 Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:23 am
» LPGA Player Profile: Brittany Lincicome
by tonyj50 Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:13 am
» How Good Are This Year's LPGA Rookies?
by tonyj50 Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:52 pm
» Brittany Lincicome Wins, Nelly Korda Shines!
by tonyj50 Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:47 am
» Pure Silk LPGA Classic Preview, Pairings, and More.
by tonyj50 Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:02 pm
» Looking for a set of beginner golf clubs
by zhiming1 Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:29 pm