Hall of Fame Golfer
Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19
|Subject: 7 tips to healthier Golf Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:00 pm|| |
Read this and sharing with all Brudders and Sisters...especially me being guilty of #2 below:
1)Walk the course as often as you can, carry your clubs while you’re at it.
Playing an 18 hole round while carrying your clubs burns almost 2,000 calories, this is the equivalent of almost two Big Mac meals from McDonalds, or nearly 9 beers – your body will thank you (just avoid eating crappy food on the course as well). In comparison, pulling your clubs kills over 1,500 calories and riding about 1,300. So really no matter how you play golf, you’re still getting some decent exercise.
2) What’s the most important thing in your golf bag?
It’s not your $500 driver… it’s your bottle of sunscreen. Spending 4+ hours in the sun is quite risky on a sunny day. Statistics say 90 percent of skin cancer cases are caused by the sun. Of that, over 20 percent are golfers. This is a rather skewed statistic as many factors can attribute to cancer, regardless; it’s not worth the risk. As an add-on, don’t forget your hat out there either.
3) Warm up before each round. Stretch and swing with a weighted club (or two clubs) for a good 5-10 minutes to warm your body up before hitting the first tee, not only will it get you in the golfing mood, it will also give your muscles and joints time to prepare for the physical activity to come. Common golf injuries occur in areas that respond well to stretching and warming up – elbows, back, shoulders, hands, wrists and hips – so be sure to take advantage of this.
4) Stop smoking, cigarettes and cigars. No matter how cool you may look, it’s not good for your body, your lungs and your stamina will also suffer. Not to mention, your playing partners, clothes and even the beer cart girl will thank you for not reeking up your general vicinity. I’m sure you all know the risks of smoking, so I’m not going to repeat them here.
5) Take some lessons, repeating a bad golf move or technique can lead to one of the common golf injuries listed above. Taking a couple of lessons from a professional can get your swing into better positions and help reduce the strain on your hands, wrists, spine, hips and shoulders throughout your swing.
6) Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate – drink plenty of water and fluids on the golf course… and this doesn’t mean alcohol. Alcohol actually dehydrates you, hence the wicked hangover on those nights when you’ve had one too many. Stick to water or Powerade / Gatorade (diet if possible) on the course, juice is the next best thing - it will help rehydrate you, while not adding too many unnecessary calories. Furthermore, if you can, eat healthily on the course, stay away from hot dogs, burgers and fries and stick to sandwiches and granola bars.
7) When the weather looks dangerous, get off or the course or seek shelter, asap. Lightning is not something forth flirting with, especially with 14 metal lightning rods in your golf bag. Statistics say lightning strikes 400 people in the US per year. The most common time to get struck by lightning on the golf course is Sundays in the afternoon.
Posts : 5118
Join date : 2009-06-18
Location : Home sweat home...
|Subject: Re: 7 tips to healthier Golf Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:00 pm|| |
Thanks mate!, Glad to see that I'm doing all the right things.
Can't wait to go back to the Land Of The Free to do #1.
As for #2, I truly believe its worth the yellow stains on your white shirt or SKINs to live longer.
Stay Thirsty My Friends...
Super Active Golfer
Posts : 1505
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 52
Location : AMK Detention Barrack
|Subject: Re: 7 tips to healthier Golf Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:53 pm|| |
Thanks DS for sharing ! It true we must take care when we play golf in Singapore weather !
Good Job !
|Subject: Re: 7 tips to healthier Golf || |
Total Donation till date to
Autism Association (SG): S$46,285
|» Can I re-fit my fitted club|
by billcoke Today at 1:35 pm
» Texas Shootout Preview, Pairings, and More
by tonyj5 Today at 11:14 am
» jBeam TD 450 Driver = my investment for 2016
by Sean Lim Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:00 pm
» Forgiving Clubs
by Sean Lim Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:29 pm
» LPGA Player Profile: Natalie Gulbis (Photos)
by tonyj5 Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:20 am
» Rolex Rankings Movers of the Year 2017 - Part 1
by tonyj5 Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:39 am
» AimPoint Express Green Reading Classes Level 1-2 & Level 3 Advanced @ Marina Bay Golf Course April 22nd 2017
by SGGolfCoaching Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:53 pm
» Lotte Championship Preview, Pairings, and More.
by tonyj5 Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:08 pm
» Hello my fellow golfers
by willytan Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:35 am
» 30 IN 30
by Titleist Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:01 am
» Tanah Merah or Seletar membership?
by chien Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:19 pm
» Pulai Springs
by Sandypar Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:34 pm
» The Masters 2017
by Daztasiumz Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:05 pm
» OCC term member
by dayveed Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:04 am
» Deemples - golf app to find golfers to play golf!
by dayveed Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:56 am
» LPGA Player Profile: Hee Young Park
by tonyj5 Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:44 am
» Beginners' game for high handicappers...
by A.A.A.A.A.A. Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:15 pm
» my golf kaki - Whatsapp group chat
by AidenLim Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:01 pm
» 2016 TM M1 or 2017 Cobra F7?
by One4ram Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:52 am
» Sembawang weekend golfer
by dayveed Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:48 pm
» Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff!
by dimpledgolfball Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:07 pm
» Swing Caddie SC-100 Portable Launch Monitor Review (SAT collection 1205pm delay 20 mins)
by One4ram Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:56 pm
» Surprises and Disappointments 2017 - Part 1
by tonyj5 Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:23 am
» ANA Inspiration Preview, Pairings, and More
by pocketace Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:04 pm
» EVNROLL Putter
by Kaii Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:50 pm
» Looking for good golf coach
by corncrop Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:14 pm
» Golf in Dong Mo, Vietnam
by golftour365 Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:05 pm
» YouTube Golf Channel (by Yaozza)
by yaozza07 Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:32 pm
» Hello everyone :)
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:01 pm
» Kia Classic Preview, Pairings, and Much More!
by tonyj5 Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:15 am
» Golf in Cebu
by freedrop Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:43 am
» Titleist Trial Days & Titleist Thursdays
by Titleist Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:57 pm
» Bank of Hope Founders Cup Preview, Pairings, and More
by tonyj5 Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:09 am
» Restoration of Scotty putters
by vivavic Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:25 pm
» Golf sunscreen is a part of your equipment. Why are you not using the best?
by golfersskinsingapore Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:57 pm
» LPGA Player Profile: Belen Mozo (Photos)
by tonyj5 Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:48 am
» JDM clubs - Worth it?
by willytan Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:05 pm
» Driving range to play on grass
by danielleecm Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:08 am
» Golf Bag Custom Embroidery
by montageme Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:38 am
» Stats & Facts Vol 32 - Fast Starts (and much more)
by tonyj5 Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:56 am
» HSBC Women's Champions Preview, Pairings, and Much More
by tonyj5 Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:33 pm
» Paula Creamer Parts Ways With Longtime Caddie!
by tonyj5 Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:10 am
» NSRCC ordinary membership...pls advise
by equin0x Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:49 pm
» How much is Ping Crossover?
by billcoke Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:41 pm
» Kranji weekday voucher
by coe16arg Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:20 pm