Hall of Fame Golfer
Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19
|Subject: 7 tips to healthier Golf Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:00 pm|| |
Read this and sharing with all Brudders and Sisters...especially me being guilty of #2 below:
1)Walk the course as often as you can, carry your clubs while you’re at it.
Playing an 18 hole round while carrying your clubs burns almost 2,000 calories, this is the equivalent of almost two Big Mac meals from McDonalds, or nearly 9 beers – your body will thank you (just avoid eating crappy food on the course as well). In comparison, pulling your clubs kills over 1,500 calories and riding about 1,300. So really no matter how you play golf, you’re still getting some decent exercise.
2) What’s the most important thing in your golf bag?
It’s not your $500 driver… it’s your bottle of sunscreen. Spending 4+ hours in the sun is quite risky on a sunny day. Statistics say 90 percent of skin cancer cases are caused by the sun. Of that, over 20 percent are golfers. This is a rather skewed statistic as many factors can attribute to cancer, regardless; it’s not worth the risk. As an add-on, don’t forget your hat out there either.
3) Warm up before each round. Stretch and swing with a weighted club (or two clubs) for a good 5-10 minutes to warm your body up before hitting the first tee, not only will it get you in the golfing mood, it will also give your muscles and joints time to prepare for the physical activity to come. Common golf injuries occur in areas that respond well to stretching and warming up – elbows, back, shoulders, hands, wrists and hips – so be sure to take advantage of this.
4) Stop smoking, cigarettes and cigars. No matter how cool you may look, it’s not good for your body, your lungs and your stamina will also suffer. Not to mention, your playing partners, clothes and even the beer cart girl will thank you for not reeking up your general vicinity. I’m sure you all know the risks of smoking, so I’m not going to repeat them here.
5) Take some lessons, repeating a bad golf move or technique can lead to one of the common golf injuries listed above. Taking a couple of lessons from a professional can get your swing into better positions and help reduce the strain on your hands, wrists, spine, hips and shoulders throughout your swing.
6) Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate – drink plenty of water and fluids on the golf course… and this doesn’t mean alcohol. Alcohol actually dehydrates you, hence the wicked hangover on those nights when you’ve had one too many. Stick to water or Powerade / Gatorade (diet if possible) on the course, juice is the next best thing - it will help rehydrate you, while not adding too many unnecessary calories. Furthermore, if you can, eat healthily on the course, stay away from hot dogs, burgers and fries and stick to sandwiches and granola bars.
7) When the weather looks dangerous, get off or the course or seek shelter, asap. Lightning is not something forth flirting with, especially with 14 metal lightning rods in your golf bag. Statistics say lightning strikes 400 people in the US per year. The most common time to get struck by lightning on the golf course is Sundays in the afternoon.
Posts : 5118
Join date : 2009-06-18
Location : Home sweat home...
|Subject: Re: 7 tips to healthier Golf Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:00 pm|| |
Thanks mate!, Glad to see that I'm doing all the right things.
Can't wait to go back to the Land Of The Free to do #1.
As for #2, I truly believe its worth the yellow stains on your white shirt or SKINs to live longer.
Stay Thirsty My Friends...
Super Active Golfer
Posts : 1505
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 51
Location : AMK Detention Barrack
|Subject: Re: 7 tips to healthier Golf Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:53 pm|| |
Thanks DS for sharing ! It true we must take care when we play golf in Singapore weather !
Good Job !
|Subject: Re: 7 tips to healthier Golf Today at 6:17 pm|| |
Total Donation till date to
Autism Association (SG): S$46,285
|» NSRCC Member List|
by PaRrY Today at 10:17 am
» Port Klang
by rt Today at 9:48 am
» Good coaches in the East
by equin0x Yesterday at 10:27 pm
» Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia Preview, Pairings, and Much More.
by tonyj50 Yesterday at 3:34 pm
» Micro Range at Turf Club
by kennyky Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:48 pm
» Blue Bay LPGA Preview, Pairings and More.
by tonyj50 Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:16 pm
» jBeam TD 450 Driver = my investment for 2016
by andrew-golf Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:31 pm
» A True LPGA Legend Retires: Farewell to Se Ri Pak.
by tonyj50 Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:01 am
» Sembawang weekend golfer
by dayveed Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:59 am
» Titleist 917
by Sean Lim Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:47 am
» Customise belt buckle
by kop Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:33 am
» Golf bags - OnOff vs Titleist
by willytan Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:37 pm
» Is TmCC range open to public?
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:26 pm
» Anyone played Austin hills Cc recently?
by A Senior Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:37 pm
» Nelly Korda to join Sister Jessica on LPGA Tour in 2017.
by tonyj50 Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:40 am
» review on Renovated Laguna Bintan
by yogibear Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:44 pm
» WTS: Tanjong Puteri membership - life
by weBirdie Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:05 pm
» Club Glove - The Stiff Arm
by BruiseLee Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:24 pm
» Looking for kakis for Ria Bintan (29-30 May)
by andrewctk Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:14 pm
» OCC Tuesday Morning Game
by TFP Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:16 pm
» Fubon LPGA Taiwan Championship Preview, Pairings, and More.
by tonyj5 Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:55 am
» Replacing shaft for RBZ driver
by Sean76 Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:21 am
» Reignwood LPGA Classic Preview, Pairings and More (spoilers)
by tonyj5 Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:43 am
» Epon Forged
by babolat Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:31 pm
» Range practice
by babolat Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:30 pm
» New LPGA Tournament In Indianapolis Added to 2017 Schedule!
by tonyj5 Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:19 pm
» Arnold Palmer Passes Away at 87
by stickman Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:49 pm
» Look what postman just delivered
by Sean Lim Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:21 pm
» Korean LPGA Sung Hyun Park
by grwilliam Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:35 am
» PORESIA WEEKEND MEMBERS
by dayveed Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:23 am
» Deemples - golf app to find golfers to play golf!
by dayveed Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:26 am
» Stats & Facts Vol.30 / Asian Swing Field Numbers
by tonyj5 Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:21 am
» 1 Iron
by Sean Lim Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:26 am
» Foot Joy Sport BOA shoes
by Sean Lim Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:12 am
» Positive Feedback for Sigma Golf
by Sean Lim Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:34 pm
» Hi Golf Republic
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:53 pm
» Titleist Club Fitting
by equin0x Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:43 pm
» Where to get premium jap heads
by babolat Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:44 pm
» Mizuno Iron
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:58 am
» Driving range to play on grass
by babolat Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:01 am
» Tips on reading breaks and line of putts
by Sean Lim Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:58 pm
» Handicap test
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:54 pm
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:23 pm
» Looking for Putting Coach
by Sean Lim Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:09 pm
» Rolex Rankings Movers of the Year - Part 2
by tonyj5 Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:14 am