Hall of Fame Golfer
Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19
|Subject: 7 tips to healthier Golf Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:00 pm|| |
Read this and sharing with all Brudders and Sisters...especially me being guilty of #2 below:
1)Walk the course as often as you can, carry your clubs while you’re at it.
Playing an 18 hole round while carrying your clubs burns almost 2,000 calories, this is the equivalent of almost two Big Mac meals from McDonalds, or nearly 9 beers – your body will thank you (just avoid eating crappy food on the course as well). In comparison, pulling your clubs kills over 1,500 calories and riding about 1,300. So really no matter how you play golf, you’re still getting some decent exercise.
2) What’s the most important thing in your golf bag?
It’s not your $500 driver… it’s your bottle of sunscreen. Spending 4+ hours in the sun is quite risky on a sunny day. Statistics say 90 percent of skin cancer cases are caused by the sun. Of that, over 20 percent are golfers. This is a rather skewed statistic as many factors can attribute to cancer, regardless; it’s not worth the risk. As an add-on, don’t forget your hat out there either.
3) Warm up before each round. Stretch and swing with a weighted club (or two clubs) for a good 5-10 minutes to warm your body up before hitting the first tee, not only will it get you in the golfing mood, it will also give your muscles and joints time to prepare for the physical activity to come. Common golf injuries occur in areas that respond well to stretching and warming up – elbows, back, shoulders, hands, wrists and hips – so be sure to take advantage of this.
4) Stop smoking, cigarettes and cigars. No matter how cool you may look, it’s not good for your body, your lungs and your stamina will also suffer. Not to mention, your playing partners, clothes and even the beer cart girl will thank you for not reeking up your general vicinity. I’m sure you all know the risks of smoking, so I’m not going to repeat them here.
5) Take some lessons, repeating a bad golf move or technique can lead to one of the common golf injuries listed above. Taking a couple of lessons from a professional can get your swing into better positions and help reduce the strain on your hands, wrists, spine, hips and shoulders throughout your swing.
6) Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate – drink plenty of water and fluids on the golf course… and this doesn’t mean alcohol. Alcohol actually dehydrates you, hence the wicked hangover on those nights when you’ve had one too many. Stick to water or Powerade / Gatorade (diet if possible) on the course, juice is the next best thing - it will help rehydrate you, while not adding too many unnecessary calories. Furthermore, if you can, eat healthily on the course, stay away from hot dogs, burgers and fries and stick to sandwiches and granola bars.
7) When the weather looks dangerous, get off or the course or seek shelter, asap. Lightning is not something forth flirting with, especially with 14 metal lightning rods in your golf bag. Statistics say lightning strikes 400 people in the US per year. The most common time to get struck by lightning on the golf course is Sundays in the afternoon.
Posts : 5118
Join date : 2009-06-18
Location : Home sweat home...
|Subject: Re: 7 tips to healthier Golf Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:00 pm|| |
Thanks mate!, Glad to see that I'm doing all the right things.
Can't wait to go back to the Land Of The Free to do #1.
As for #2, I truly believe its worth the yellow stains on your white shirt or SKINs to live longer.
Stay Thirsty My Friends...
Super Active Golfer
Posts : 1505
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 51
Location : AMK Detention Barrack
|Subject: Re: 7 tips to healthier Golf Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:53 pm|| |
Thanks DS for sharing ! It true we must take care when we play golf in Singapore weather !
Good Job !
|Subject: Re: 7 tips to healthier Golf Today at 7:57 am|| |
Total Donation till date to
Autism Association (SG): S$46,285
|» Changing of Grip...|
by nremda Today at 12:03 am
» Looking for a set of beginner golf clubs
by splaash2 Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:24 pm
» Saturday 3 Dec, 839 Navy, NSRCC Changi
by andrew-golf Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:29 am
» LPGA Announces 2017 Schedule. Four New Events.
by tonyj50 Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:42 am
» Morning game at Sembawang 2nd Dec
by ancient warrior Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:13 pm
» LPGA Qualifying School Tournament - Final Stage!
by tonyj50 Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:31 am
» 2 Ladies looking for 2 more kakis at Bintan on Dec 3
by dayveed Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:27 am
» Mizuno Owners Thread - Soft and Buttery
by Nealwong Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:54 am
» Citibank Prestige Card members
by TigaWood Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:56 pm
» Yamaha Classic Iron
by Yxgolfing Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:20 pm
» New member
by Yxgolfing Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:14 pm
» StarHill Country Club
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:32 pm
» Club Glove - The Stiff Arm
by Nealwong Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:30 pm
» Anyone played Austin hills Cc recently?
by Nealwong Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:10 pm
» WTS: BNIB iPad Pro 128GB WiFi Gold
by aling Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:43 am
» ELS Desaru Promotion Rate by me
by Prestige Teh Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:37 pm
» YouTube Golf Channel (by Yaozza)
by yaozza07 Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:46 pm
» Rating the 2016 LPGA Rookies - Final Analysis
by tonyj50 Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:45 am
» Non authetic golf pride grips
by Yxgolfing Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:23 pm
» Stats & Facts - Vol. 31.....2016 Finale. Whats Next?
by tonyj50 Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:42 am
» CME Group Tour Championship Preview, Pairings, and Lots More.
by tonyj50 Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:18 am
» Shot tracer app
by Daztasiumz Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:14 pm
» LPGA Announces New Tournament in Scotland!!
by tonyj50 Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:04 am
» Short Game Performance School @ Marina Bay GC and AimPoint Green Reading Classes @ NSRCC Changi, Singapore November 26th-27th
by SGGolfCoaching Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:13 pm
» Regular Weekend NSRCC games
by andrew-golf Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:45 pm
» Paula Creamer Parts Ways With Longtime Caddie!
by tonyj50 Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:21 am
» LPGA Announces New Tournament in New Zealand
by tonyj50 Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:48 am
» Lorena Ochoa Invitational Preview, Pairings, and Much More
by tonyj50 Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:16 am
» review on Renovated Laguna Bintan
by pocketace Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:45 pm
» Deemples - golf app to find golfers to play golf!
by dayveed Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:55 am
» Titleist 716 AP1 user please come in.
by Chunky Munky Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:59 pm
» Newbie looking for female khakis to play at Mandai executive course
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:00 pm
» Beginners' game for high handicappers...
by izzx11 Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:57 pm
» Sembawang weekend golfer
by hometeamWill Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:50 pm
» Costcos Kirkland signature golf balls
by Daztasiumz Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:32 pm
» Friendship Golf on 4 Dec 2016
by desmondsoh Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:10 pm
» NSRCC Member List
by greenhacker Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:43 am
» Toto Japan Classic Preview, Pairings, and Much More.
by tonyj50 Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:50 pm
» Snell golf balls
by equin0x Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:51 pm
» SOLD : WTS Taylormade Rocketbladez Graphite 8 Irons (5-PAS) Japan Spec
by kim001 Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:09 pm
» New Guy
by hometeamWill Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:20 am
» Golfing in Johor Bahru,Malaysia
by dayveed Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:53 am
» Cobra Bio Cell+ FW
by artchang00 Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:40 am
» OCC Tuesday Morning Game
by dayveed Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:15 pm
» Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia Preview, Pairings, and Much More.
by tonyj50 Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:47 pm