Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

What would YOU do?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: What would YOU do?   Sun May 06, 2012 9:13 am

Played at Ponderosa yesterday morning and had some light bets going on.
Arrived at the 322m Par 4 15th hole. Told myself "stay left, cuz tress blocking approach on the right."
As fate would have it, ball cut to the right, and disappeared in the trees near the buggy track.
Spent more than 4-5 min looking for it, without success. Dropped one, played 110m to left greenside bunker.
Flight proceeded to the green. Flightmate who was looking for his ball 30-40m from the rough near green shouted "Eh! Here got one Taylormade ball! What ball u use just now?"
"Penta 5 with green line marking" I said..
"Yeah! This is it!" he said..
Betting buddy was shocked. I drove 300m? Cannot be! Must have hit buggy track.. but for those of you who played there b4, you'll know there's no way can be so coincidental, cuz the buggy track got high kerb also..
Anyway, i just picked up my ball and ended the hole with a 7 (2 stroke penalty for lost ball) and lost the hole to a bogey.

Question is, if you were betting, would you play your original ball that miraculously ended up there, or would you do what i did?

Comments?
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What would YOU do?   Sun May 06, 2012 9:20 am

Typically one would 'try' and request play with the 1st ball. It all depends on the flight mates. You never know if they will say yes. If its no, then no worries as well...
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What would YOU do?   Sun May 06, 2012 9:40 am

According to the rule, if you declared lost ball and dropped that ball is in play, even u found your 1st ball later, it's still does not count, but if you playing with friend you can ask them.
Back to top Go down
coe16arg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What would YOU do?   Sun May 06, 2012 9:53 am

Once 5 minuted is up, and you can't still find your ball, then already considered lost ball. Still count as lost ball even if you found it later when you proceeded to the green.

ANother thing, why lost ball is 2 strokes? I thought is 1 stroke.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What would YOU do?   Sun May 06, 2012 9:58 am

Depends on the bets. If its $2 per hole, I'll let you take the better ball. Afterall, in real competition setting we probably be staring down at the ball and could have seen it bounce etc... Even during pga tournaments there are marshals looking out for the golfers...

But all are correct la, once you played a second ball "by right" you have to accept it as lost ball.....

cheers

Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: What would YOU do?   Sun May 06, 2012 10:19 am

Lost ball is 1 stroke AND distance (go back to original place)

But as i observed here, coming back to original place sometimes not possible given the pressure to keep pace so take 1+1 strokes and drop ball at nearest to entry of lost ball. Social games hor not tournament. Suppose taking provision ball still the best option when forests are around.

Btw tiger's ball was lost and assumed taken by fans, drop ball no penalty. Maybe next time I conjure an outside agency (ghosts) take my ball affraid What a Face
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What would YOU do?   Mon May 07, 2012 11:02 am

Provided you declared that you are going to play a provisional and then continue to search for your ball but within the time limit, otherwise your second ball will be in play with 2 strokes penalty.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What would YOU do?   Mon May 07, 2012 11:27 am

enwee wrote:
According to the rule, if you declared lost ball and dropped that ball is in play, even u found your 1st ball later, it's still does not count, but if you playing with friend you can ask them.

I agreed w bro enwee if strictly followed textbook, no way. Crying or Very sad
Bt if its a friendly game w yr flight mates acceptance, shld b fair. Wink
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What would YOU do?   Mon May 07, 2012 1:22 pm

[quote]Lost ball is 1 stroke AND distance (go back to original place)

But as i observed here, coming back to original place sometimes not possible given the pressure to keep pace so take 1+1 strokes and drop ball at nearest to entry of lost ball. Social games hor not tournament. Suppose taking provision ball still the best option when forests are around.[quote]

Agreed as its written! There s one occasion where i was hittg my 3 shot n cld nt find it nearwhere even its v clear on e left rough (50+m fm pin). I went back to e original spot, dropped n played my 5th shot! Guessed wat it landed almost e same place w slightly further. My flight asked wat am i doing, if takg up such time must on it at yr 5th, otherwise no purpose. I was shy man! Embarassed

[quote]Btw tiger's ball was lost and assumed taken by fans, drop ball no penalty. Maybe next time I conjure an outside agency (ghosts) take my ball affraid What a Face[quote]

Wa....sured?? Question better changed my name to hkhwoods lor! monkey
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: What would YOU do?   Mon May 07, 2012 1:46 pm

bro hkh

I heard some stories, at certain courses in JB, if ball go to woods. Just let it go. Immediately take provisional. The outside agency may be rather fierce Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What would YOU do?   Mon May 07, 2012 3:55 pm

enwee wrote:

Per my limited understanding of the rules....

One cannot declare a ball is lost. It is 'deemed lost' under the following defined circumstances.

"A ball is deemed 'lost' if:
a. It is not found or identified as his by the player within five minutes after the player's side or his or their caddies have begun to search for it;

or

b. The player has made a stroke at a provisional ball from the place where the original ball is likely to be or from a point nearer the hole than that place (see Rule 27-2b); or

c. The player has put another ball into play under penalty of stroke and distance (see Rule 27-1a) [i.e. drop and hit another ball without declaring it as a provisional]; or

d. The player has put another ball into play because it is known or virtually certain that the ball, which has not been found, has been moved by an outside agency (see Rule 18-1), is in an obstruction (see Rule 24-3), is in an abnormal ground condition (see Rule 25-1c) or is in a water hazard (see Rule 26-1); or

e. The player has made a stroke at a substituted ball.

Time spent in playing a wrong ball is not counted in the five-minute period allowed for search."

--------------------------------------------

So, imagine this scenario.

From the tee box, the player hits a ball into the trees, point A. He then declares a provisional and hits a provisional ball into the fairway, point B. He walks up to the provisional ball and hits another shot, the 2nd shot with the provisional ball to point C. Note that B is not nearer to the hole than A.

And then, the first ball is found under the trees within 5 minutes of searching for it. The first ball is still in play.

BUT, if the player hits the 3rd shot with the provisional ball, the first ball is no longer in play even if found within 5 minutes. In the diagram below, this is after hitting the provisional ball from point C. Note that C is already nearer to the hole than A.

Now, sometimes we do NOT want the ball to be found. There is a way to do this.

Of course, the correct thing to do if you definitely do not want to search for your original ball is to put another ball into play as quickly as possible, without declaring it as a provisional ball. Remember that on the teeing ground you have to wait until all the players in the group have played before you play your second ball from the tee. Once you have made a stroke at another ball, under penalty of stroke and distance, it does not matter if your original ball is then found, as it is no longer the ball in play.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What would YOU do?   Mon May 07, 2012 4:22 pm

how about from 2nd shot?

last game 2nd shot when near water, could not find it, assume in water, drop ball and hit again...ball when into water...drove forwards, found my 1st ball at the edge (nearer to the hole) hit it and landed near the pin (ball was found within 5 mins)..did not want to waste time so hit first and drive forwards to look...

My flight mate say i already hit the 2nd ball (when i assume ball when in water) so when i found the 1st ball, its already out of play. But he was quickly 'overruled' by the other guys cause we playing Saddam.

As usual its always the 1st ball hit further than you thought...

Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What would YOU do?   Mon May 07, 2012 5:10 pm

tronos wrote:
how about from 2nd shot?

last game 2nd shot when near water, could not find it, assume in water, drop ball and hit again...ball when into water...drove forwards, found my 1st ball at the edge (nearer to the hole) hit it and landed near the pin (ball was found within 5 mins)..did not want to waste time so hit first and drive forwards to look...

My flight mate say i already hit the 2nd ball (when i assume ball when in water) so when i found the 1st ball, its already out of play. But he was quickly 'overruled' by the other guys cause we playing Saddam.

As usual its always the 1st ball hit further than you thought...

That's why it is important to verbally declare a provisional.

If you declared it a provisional before dropping and hitting the second ball, then if the first ball is found, it is ok, still in play.

Else you have put a second ball in play under penalty of stroke and distance, which immediately renders the first ball lost even if you find it again.

The lesson for me is, when in doubt, always declare and hit a provisional. To be safe, I can even use a shorter club. That way, I keep the 2nd ball behind the first, and can even hit it twice before searching for the first ball. Remember, the 5 minute time limit starts when you or your caddy start to search for the ball.
Back to top Go down
teegem
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What would YOU do?   Mon May 07, 2012 6:56 pm

hi is it true that u can hit the provisional ball twice before declaring it in play and continue to look for the first ball? My understanding is if u hit the provisional ball then u have a total of 5 mins to look for the first ball and continue to look for the ball till the time is up and u have to declare the provisional ball in play. thanks and please clarify,
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What would YOU do?   Mon May 07, 2012 7:13 pm

teegem wrote:
hi is it true that u can hit the provisional ball twice before declaring it in play and continue to look for the first ball? My understanding is if u hit the provisional ball then u have a total of 5 mins to look for the first ball and continue to look for the ball till the time is up and u have to declare the provisional ball in play. thanks and please clarify,

hi is it true that u can hit the provisional ball twice before declaring it in play and continue to look for the first ball?

As long as the first ball is found closer to the hole than where the provisional ball was last hit from, regardless of how many times the provisional ball has been hit, the first ball is back in play provided it was found within 5 minutes of STARTING THE SEARCH.

The clock does not start from the time you hit the provisional ball, but from the time you or your caddy start the search.

But if you find the first ball within 5 minutes of starting the search and you have already hit the provisional ball from a point closer to the hole than where the first ball was found, the provisional ball is in play.

So, if you think you might find the first ball, and your provisional ball might be closer to the hole than the first ball, DON'T hit the provisional ball yet, until you finish searching for the first ball.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What would YOU do?   Mon May 07, 2012 7:23 pm

pushslice wrote:

Btw tiger's ball was lost and assumed taken by fans, drop ball no penalty. Maybe next time I conjure an outside agency (ghosts) take my ball affraid What a Face

Two spectators saw Tiger's ball landed there initially but it disappeared as more people gathered to surround the ball and when Tiger and his caddy approached, god knows who took it ... Laughing
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What would YOU do?   Mon May 07, 2012 7:53 pm

pushslice wrote:
bro hkh

I heard some stories, at certain courses in JB, if ball go to woods. Just let it go. Immediately take provisional. The outside agency may be rather fierce Laughing

Tx bro PS, noted seriously.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would YOU do?   Today at 7:54 pm

Back to top Go down

What would YOU do?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.