Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Utopia of Driving Range

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: The Utopia of Driving Range    Thu May 24, 2012 10:08 am

Imagine, you drive up to the driving range and some lovely caddies will remove your bag from the boot, check your time booked and hand you a bay reservation no. your kakis who is joining you will also be given the same treatment.

Your golf bag travels via the lift if its on the second floor and you can take your time to browse in a 7500 sq feet pro shop stocked with the latest equipment categorised by type rather than by brand, so it makes selection a lot easier. golfers take the escalator...yes an escalator in a drivng range sends a different signal to ooze class.

There are 90 bays and they are 4m high and 4 meter across. there is no range mate and they call each bay a tee-box. the tee box is a flat piece of all synthetic turf and you can even tee up with a regular tee. behind the tee box is a private lounge area and each lounge area is separated by potted plants so that you can enjoy privacy. you can order food and drinks and even gourmet food if you wish, from the 9 restaurants in the complex.

now this is where it get interesting....the driving range is the first one ever with 1 fairway and 6 greens located at different distance. you can virtually trained or game with your buddies. on each tee box, there is a camera and the golfer can replay his last tee shot to check his swing and then zoom in on any green that he is playing his shot into. that way he can check where and how his ball landed. i am sure there will be more than training at this range with several ATMs nearby. everything is broadcast and in HD format so its like appearing in Golf Channel. there are 2 TV screen - one facing the golfer and the other at the lounge area for the kakis to watch and criticise.

the balls are send to the T box via a automated system and you can adjust the tee height so no need to deal with a load of crappy and dirty balls to distract you. the charges are hourly and one can hit as many ball as he or she desire.

the entire complex - complete with a wellness spa, convention centre and an entertainment complex and a fabulous short game area. the entertainment complex has 9 restaurants and the main feature is the wine bar with 9 meters of wine storage vertically. needless to say, girls with mini skirts will climb up to retrieve the wine of choice and reportedly there is a mirror tilt at 30 degree to capture every angle of the subjects...that leave a lot to imagine. below the wine bar are 2 private dining ares - 12 or 24 seaters and i can imagine the rich and famous to make that an entertainment hotspot.

there are a couple of broadcaster who have signed up to move their golf broadcasting using the short game area as a backdrop. on top of the 2 storey driving bay are glass up offices and most are also gone before the building is completed. they are reportedly going to stock brokers and investment bankers who wants to get a bit more greenery rather than the usual downtown office landscape.

now the short game area. a glass gazebo sits roughly in the centre and there are putting, chipping and short distances training area. large TV screens broadcast golf, football and other sports and its a nice place to chill out, train your short game or just watch TV and drink.

there are more like the true F1 simulator in the entertainment complex and the 10 wax figures they have ordered from Madam Tussauds. i am pretty sure TW is one of amongst the lot but i am not sure if they will charge if you take a photo with your "idol".

sounds incredible but its all coming along very quickly. i was there 2 weeks ago as we were invited to make a pitch to run the club fitting area which is another very interesting project. Apparently they have only invited 2 parties for the pitch and i am very honoured to have the chance to view this excellent project.

i am sure you guys want to see pictures...haha, lets see if words can speak louder than pictures.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Thu May 24, 2012 10:19 am

About time they had something like this in Singapore.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Thu May 24, 2012 10:22 am

sounds lavish...in china?

I would pay to practice at a very well maintained real grass range, dun need all the extras. except maybe a well stocked ice cold drinks vending machine
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Thu May 24, 2012 10:23 am

Bet its in Thailand... Eric did just come back from Thailand!!!
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Thu May 24, 2012 10:26 am

with our land use and spread interest of land developers, its unlikely to ever happen. the owners know they will never recuperate the cost of building this mammoth project but they have other agendas and i am sure they will be well rewarded in their endeavour.

also the prime minister of that country live less than a km away and you can imagine the property prices and if one has the land bank....

oh i was also flown business class to attend this meeting...

DGman
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Thu May 24, 2012 10:33 am

NPNT
Back to top Go down
Fatboy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Thu May 24, 2012 10:53 am

Life is good ! Enjoy it whne it lasts.

I think it will be expensive to hit balls at this range but it is worth a try atleast for once.

Thailand (outside BKK) would be my guess for the location.

DGman wrote:
with our land use and spread interest of land developers, its unlikely to ever happen. the owners know they will never recuperate the cost of building this mammoth project but they have other agendas and i am sure they will be well rewarded in their endeavour.

also the prime minister of that country live less than a km away and you can imagine the property prices and if one has the land bank....

oh i was also flown business class to attend this meeting...

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.permatex.com
teegem
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Thu May 24, 2012 1:02 pm

If its near Yingluck's house then its close to centre of the city and not outside BKK. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Finally some pictures to complete the mental picture....

The view from the entrance....

normally for the length of the driving range, 18 structure are needed but in their case where its "oil rig" class, 9 steel structure with overhanging poles makes the range looks less cluttered.

the view of the driving range from the entertainment complex...

a view from the pro shop to the entrance with the escalator in the centre

the pro shop is really vast.

they are slated for opening in October. its definitely not possible in Singapore but considering that when i was there last Sept and it nothing but a dusty construction site. i would think its not too optimistic.

The Thai Tourism Board may name this as one of the top 5 venues to visit in Bangkok and its next to CDC (Giant furniture mall) and opposite the road from All-star driving range.

DGman
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Fri May 25, 2012 6:32 am

I thought you are talking about this one.

http://www.indoorgolfarena.eu/index.php/Articles/Impressions.html
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Fri May 25, 2012 9:13 am

The developer of this range must be targeting the flock of Korean golfers come Nov.

Very good setup and very nice.
Back to top Go down
Kengnam
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Fri May 25, 2012 9:13 am

sandkie wrote:
I thought you are talking about this one.

http://www.indoorgolfarena.eu/index.php/Articles/Impressions.html
Wow...this high class wan...izzit built in Germany?
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Fri May 25, 2012 9:35 am

Time to buy ticket for BKK in the end of the year
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Fri May 25, 2012 9:40 am

i am sure when the spanish tiles and mosaic are up, one can see and feel the difference. looking forward to visiting the site soon.

DGman
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Fri May 25, 2012 11:40 am

This is cool! Another thing to do in BKK besides... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Fri May 25, 2012 12:22 pm

Holy cow! and i thought i wanted to spend december golfing in indo. If they're done then i might wanna go hitnit up there. seems like THE place to be from the way eric describes it.. now to find some courses in that area..
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Fri May 25, 2012 2:15 pm

so did you win the pitch for golf fitting there?
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Fri May 25, 2012 5:36 pm

Time to advice my Head Office to look into opening an office in Bangkok.......
Back to top Go down
jasGolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Fri May 25, 2012 9:45 pm

2008 wrote:
NPNT

EDMW golfer

Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Mon May 28, 2012 4:31 pm

Winston wrote:
Time to advice my Head Office to look into opening an office in Bangkok.......

Bro, you won't know what you have gotten in BKK till the truth is revealed in private and I am referring to those properties in your signature. I think Viet Nam is still far better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Utopia of Driving Range    Today at 10:24 am

Back to top Go down

The Utopia of Driving Range
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1