Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Share your other hobbies....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 6384
Join date : 2009-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Tue May 29, 2012 10:48 am

colin how are these kois?









they belong to my neighbour and i can view from my balcony. i have been thinking of dropping a line in for the longest time, just wondering what bait is the best.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2449
Join date : 2010-05-29
Age : 59
Location : Surabaya

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Tue May 29, 2012 11:08 am

I do not think it is very nice by looking at the color pattern, the color did not break nicely at the end of the tail too.

Collin, was this one way of looking at it ?
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3062
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 43
Location : North-East

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Tue May 29, 2012 11:28 am

Bro SBH hobby on marine life v nicz! Very Happy
Used to keep bt give up due to many factors. Crying or Very sad
Bro Slicer51 hobby on koi keepg v nicz n mind relaxg! Smile
Usually i ll drop by any typicana/marine fishes expo to enjoyed myself. Razz
Envy both of u. cyclops
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2411
Join date : 2009-11-29
Location : www.HuatLeow.com

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Tue May 29, 2012 10:24 pm

I'm just a 20 handicapper in Koi.
There were some nice pieces there.
You need deep pond to keep good Koi.
So that they can dive and exercise to prevent big tummy(Obese).
Unfortunately BCA only allows a max of 1.2 meters deep.
The white needs to be pure white not yellowish white.
Body needs to look like torpedo and with distinct marking.

Anyway I think this hobby is more expensive than collecting wines.
It's a bottomless pit, I'm glad I'm out of it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Tue May 29, 2012 11:44 pm

seebayho wrote:
I'm just a 20 handicapper in Koi.
There were some nice pieces there.
You need deep pond to keep good Koi.
So that they can dive and exercise to prevent big tummy(Obese).
Unfortunately BCA only allows a max of 1.2 meters deep.
The white needs to be pure white not yellowish white.
Body needs to look like torpedo and with distinct marking.

Anyway I think this hobby is more expensive than collecting wines.
It's a bottomless pit, I'm glad I'm out of it!
1.2m not deep enough?

Anyway I thought keeping Koi need very good filter system as well. I seen some so call champion one, price very high.
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2411
Join date : 2009-11-29
Location : www.HuatLeow.com

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Wed May 30, 2012 12:52 am

4 ft deep is OK.
Yes, champion breed can cost 6 figures
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
TKM
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 5
Join date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Wed May 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Anyone collect golf memorabilia?

Back to top Go down
pengsan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 13
Join date : 2012-05-30
Age : 41
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:49 pm

My other hobbies are cooking and finding the most effective way to lose weight.

I love cooking. If possible, we should organise a pot luck or bbq for the forummers. Then all of you can try some of the char siew I make at home and give comments.

Besides cooking, my hobby is losing weight. I am so fat. At 168cm, weighing in at 81.5kg and having a 36 inch waist is very bad loh. I am always researching for the most productive exercise to do. So far I have arrived at three exercises. You can do them rain or shine. Indoors or outdoors and you only need to do as little as 12 minutes a day.

Forget about the 1 hour exercise. That's old school. The latest research shows you can do 12 and get the same results. So if you want to do more, that's good. It all depends on how badly you want to lose weight though.

The idea is to do a cardio exercise vigourously for 3 minutes. Rest 1 minute and then do back the same exercise again. Repeat 3 times. That should take 12 minutes in total. And that's it. Do it everyday. It can be any cardio. Thread mill, biking, skipping..etc. There's a BBC Horizon video on youtube on this. Go check it out.


I have chosen burpees, aka squat thrusts. That's for cardio.

On top of that, if you want to speed up weight loss, I recommend you doing dumbell or kettle bell swings. That works the thighs and your core muscles. It's optional though.

Finally If you are super super keen to loss weight, you should add dumbell squats to the routine. That's solely working on the thighs. The thighs and the core are some of the body's biggest muscle. If you build them, you will have a high at rest calorie burn rate. That means you are burning calories even when you are sleeping or at rest.

Combining cardio and muscle building, you will increase your metabolic rate and build muscles. Having a high metabolic rate burns fat and having more muscle burns calories even when you are at rest.

Theorectically, you will start losing weight significantly after 6 weeks of everyday consistent training.

I have just started on alternate days. Hopefully i can continue the routine for 6 weeks. Because I love to eat therefore, i have to burn off more to eat more.

All these and golf occupies me. So fun right?

So, Pot Luck anyone?
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2702
Join date : 2009-12-11
Location : golf club graveyard

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:15 pm

pengsan,

after reading your post, i really pengsan. lol
so your hobbies are eating and losing weight, besides golf.

i'll leave you to your discovery of losing weight. i lost mine in 3 months. 11kgs. I've told a few people how to do it and all give incredulous looks and say you are going to die.

my only advice on the excercise is to mix it up a little. do more research and you will know why.

cheers
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:18 pm

pengsan wrote:
My other hobbies are cooking and finding the most effective way to lose weight.

I love cooking. If possible, we should organise a pot luck or bbq for the forummers. Then all of you can try some of the char siew I make at home and give comments.

Besides cooking, my hobby is losing weight. I am so fat. At 168cm, weighing in at 81.5kg and having a 36 inch waist is very bad loh. I am always researching for the most productive exercise to do. So far I have arrived at three exercises. You can do them rain or shine. Indoors or outdoors and you only need to do as little as 12 minutes a day.

Forget about the 1 hour exercise. That's old school. The latest research shows you can do 12 and get the same results. So if you want to do more, that's good. It all depends on how badly you want to lose weight though.

The idea is to do a cardio exercise vigourously for 3 minutes. Rest 1 minute and then do back the same exercise again. Repeat 3 times. That should take 12 minutes in total. And that's it. Do it everyday. It can be any cardio. Thread mill, biking, skipping..etc. There's a BBC Horizon video on youtube on this. Go check it out.


I have chosen burpees, aka squat thrusts. That's for cardio.

On top of that, if you want to speed up weight loss, I recommend you doing dumbell or kettle bell swings. That works the thighs and your core muscles. It's optional though.

Finally If you are super super keen to loss weight, you should add dumbell squats to the routine. That's solely working on the thighs. The thighs and the core are some of the body's biggest muscle. If you build them, you will have a high at rest calorie burn rate. That means you are burning calories even when you are sleeping or at rest.

Combining cardio and muscle building, you will increase your metabolic rate and build muscles. Having a high metabolic rate burns fat and having more muscle burns calories even when you are at rest.

Theorectically, you will start losing weight significantly after 6 weeks of everyday consistent training.

I have just started on alternate days. Hopefully i can continue the routine for 6 weeks. Because I love to eat therefore, i have to burn off more to eat more.

All these and golf occupies me. So fun right?

So, Pot Luck anyone?
No wonder you said you fat.......eating and golfing sure is a way to gain weight. Btw I seldom cook but I like to eat and drink. I abt 1.7m weight around 63-64kg but my last FFI, the doc advice me to reduce to 58-59kg. That's hard.... Mad. Btw I already reduced from 70 to 64 already.
Back to top Go down
pengsan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 13
Join date : 2012-05-30
Age : 41
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:57 pm

[/quote]
No wonder you said you fat.......eating and golfing sure is a way to gain weight. Btw I seldom cook but I like to eat and drink. I abt 1.7m weight around 63-64kg but my last FFI, the doc advice me to reduce to 58-59kg. That's hard.... Mad. Btw I already reduced from 70 to 64 already.[/quote]

You are not fat! 1.7m 64kg is far from fat lah. I am FAT! Laughing

My coach rubs my tummy then go buy 4D. Basketball It's that bad.

Below is the link on exercise. I encourage everyone to watch. BBC Horizon rocks!

w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / watch ? v =t yQSzx0ofto


Oooo.. you like to drink?? Ever tried to modifying bourbon to make it smoother? If I can get the ingredients I am going to try next week! For all bourbon drinkers who like that woody smokey flavour, go get the Devil's Cut bourbon from Jim Bean! Twisted Evil

Then maybe modify the whiskey yourself at home for an even smoother taste. Hohoho... Delicious! Razz

That plus Char Siew. geek

Yummy...
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:19 am

pengsan wrote:
No wonder you said you fat.......eating and golfing sure is a way to gain weight. Btw I seldom cook but I like to eat and drink. I abt 1.7m weight around 63-64kg but my last FFI, the doc advice me to reduce to 58-59kg. That's hard.... Mad. Btw I already reduced from 70 to 64 already.[/quote]

You are not fat! 1.7m 64kg is far from fat lah. I am FAT! Laughing

My coach rubs my tummy then go buy 4D. Basketball It's that bad.

Below is the link on exercise. I encourage everyone to watch. BBC Horizon rocks!

w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / watch ? v =t yQSzx0ofto


Oooo.. you like to drink?? Ever tried to modifying bourbon to make it smoother? If I can get the ingredients I am going to try next week! For all bourbon drinkers who like that woody smokey flavour, go get the Devil's Cut bourbon from Jim Bean! Twisted Evil

Then maybe modify the whiskey yourself at home for an even smoother taste. Hohoho... Delicious! Razz

That plus Char Siew. geek

Yummy...[/quote]
Boubon on Char Siew? I never try it before, btw drink is mainly fremented grape juice and occasionally single malt/sakae
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2087
Join date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:51 am

Bro Pengsan, those are good tips!
Thanks will try out
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 5606
Join date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:28 am

mizzy wrote:
pengsan,

after reading your post, i really pengsan. lol
so your hobbies are eating and losing weight, besides golf.

i'll leave you to your discovery of losing weight. i lost mine in 3 months. 11kgs. I've told a few people how to do it and all give incredulous looks and say you are going to die.

my only advice on the excercise is to mix it up a little. do more research and you will know why.

cheers

miz, i didnt notice it before but now you mentioned it yeah you are lot more toned and fit now...how? I like chicken rice so much, my old belt just failed on me. need one size larger

pengsan, I'm 176cm and 91kg. Fat enough?
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5410
Join date : 2009-12-05
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:36 am

pushslice wrote:
mizzy wrote:
pengsan,

after reading your post, i really pengsan. lol
so your hobbies are eating and losing weight, besides golf.

i'll leave you to your discovery of losing weight. i lost mine in 3 months. 11kgs. I've told a few people how to do it and all give incredulous looks and say you are going to die.

my only advice on the excercise is to mix it up a little. do more research and you will know why.

cheers

miz, i didnt notice it before but now you mentioned it yeah you are lot more toned and fit now...how? I like chicken rice so much, my old belt just failed on me. need one size larger

pengsan, I'm 176cm and 91kg. Fat enough?

PS, I give you the skin only can? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Online
iron eagle
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 814
Join date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:16 am

Besides golfing which is reasonably affordable, my the other hobbies
like fishing can be expensive depending on where you fished. Tanjong Pinang
will cost abot $300.00 plus miscellenous,

Fishing at Rompin sometime even higher than Tanjong Pinang, as this place fishing boat uses outboard motor like Suzuki 150HP...charge per day RM950.00 x 2 days, plus accomodation, food and transportation??

The other hobbies cycling depending on affordability to purchase your favourite bike
price range can be $1k to more than $10K high end carbon frame and today it cost you
$6K and above for frame plus component $2k to $5k, carbon wheels $2k to $9K, so I think
today's biking seem to be the most expensive!! You dressed up like a tour cyclist that will cost you $1k, Helmet $250, sunglass $200, jersey $160.00, shoes $250.00, Skin
4140.00, this just a rough figure..

cheers
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:26 am

Diablo III.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
siaokao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 154
Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:02 pm

I have quite a few hobbies.. fishing, boating, photography etc.. but due to limited funds and time, I currently only golf and dive. Unlike bro SBH.. I dun have fish tank at home.. so I take photos underwater. Smile

me and my gear.


Some photos I've shot..






Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2411
Join date : 2009-11-29
Location : www.HuatLeow.com

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:10 pm

Wow, nice shots.
I like the hermit and clown.
I'm keen on photography too.
Your camera gear cost a lot?
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3062
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 43
Location : North-East

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Wow....bro L (Siaokao), v nicz shots! Marine life i like. cheers
Wow again, u ve ex hobby beside golf lor! Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:24 pm

Yeah... nice, but can you kill it and expect a legendary drop?

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
percular
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 23
Join date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:42 pm

seebayho wrote:
[img] [/img]

Hmmmm dun think that lobster there is reef safe.

Here is my tank back in the good old days. With one of my fav fish.

Nowaways, no time to take care. Haha..

Trust me this hobby can be as expensive as golf.

I think back how much I spend i think can buy a few golf sets liao ..

Back to top Go down
MrBig
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 71
Join date : 2011-05-26
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Love music & modding electric guitar & bass effects.
Used to tie myself to a guitar shop to do mods....
but havent had the time to do it since the kid came along.



Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1997
Join date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:50 pm

What an interesting thread. Am impressed with the variety of hobbies.

Actually am even more impressed how you guys find the time for other hobbies.

I have absolutely no time or energy left after just one single 'hobby'/work/obsession, although I am slowly nursing my lone bonsai plant back to health after years of neglect.

Oh, and somehow, I've collected a dog for a few months, dog-sitting her for the owner temporarily. And guess what? She loves to chase golf balls.



And another former passion, cigars. But so bad for health, it's very seldom now.

Used to be obsessed about cars, including track days, but golf is soooo much cheaper (not to mention safer!)

Got a good friend who asks me to look after his car every now and then... That really got me obsessed, but luckily snapped out of it in time before any permanent damage.















This crowed like to let their machines run, but they do it safely, on the track at Sepang, and for a good cause.


Back to top Go down
siaokao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 154
Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:21 pm

seebayho wrote:
Wow, nice shots.
I like the hermit and clown.
I'm keen on photography too.
Your camera gear cost a lot?
well.. I guess gear cost is relative.. they are certainly expensive as far as I'm concerned. Laughing I'm using only a puny camera.. a Canon S90. Been using that for a few years.. also have lens, strobes and some accessories to complete the setup. Approx 4k plus when new. Dive gear is another 3k?

Bro HK.. thanks.. no $$ so have to cut down on all these.. haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Share your other hobbies....   Today at 8:52 am

Back to top Go down
 
Share your other hobbies....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» What other hobbies do all you guys do?
» Good lobang......must share
» Darlington - Ground Share with Town ???
» Do you guys share car pool cost when golfing in JB?
» Pre-season ground share?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The 19th Hole :: Lounge-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.