Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Golf Recruit Greetings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pengsan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Golf Recruit Greetings   Thu May 31, 2012 12:14 am

Hello everyone.

Have been lurking in this forum for a while. Finally saying my first hello here. Hopefully I did the posting right.

I got my first taste of golf when i was in bintan lagoon resort. I was explained roughly how golf works and I was seeing people hit golf balls with massive drivers! In that instance, I told myself, I want to learn that!

Just started 4 lessons of golf and have not hit the ball yet. My coach is very strict leh. So far, just alot of sore lower back.

I think I bought a set of irons from enwee. It was the set of fourteens. It is a very good set! I am just using the seven iron though and am now looking forward to hitting a ball with it. I apply WD40 on the rest and decorate them with iron covers. Yeah. Fourteens!

I want to thank IceTee for her guidance. Without her explaining to me what is an iron and what is a hybrid, I won't have started learning. I think stumbling into Big Fish Golf is a blessing to a golf recruit like me. It really open up my eyes!

The first impression of DGMan is... well, he reminds me of my stern secondary school teacher. Very strict, kinda scary. But after reading through the forum I found out that he is actually a nice guy! And I have seen DGMan swing! He swings like my coach! I want that swing!!!

Well, so far, I just got the irons. I don't know what to get next. Perhaps a putter? Whatever it is, this forum is a nice place to learn about equipment and exchanging pointers. I visit it everyday. Hopefully, one day, I will play with the big boys. But meanwhile, I just have to work towards hitting my first golf ball.

Cheers
Pengsan
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Thu May 31, 2012 12:48 am

pengsan wrote:

The first impression of DGMan is... well, he reminds me of my stern secondary school teacher. Very strict, kinda scary.

I like this hehehe Laughing

Just enjoy the journey of golf. You will know what to do when the time come. If not, just ask the " secondary school teacher "
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Thu May 31, 2012 6:13 am

Welcome... May we know who your coach is? Sounds like a big fundamental guy

Dgman likes food, still can bribe. Sec school teacher prolly cannot Laughing

Last edited by pushslice on Thu May 31, 2012 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pengsan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Thu May 31, 2012 7:53 am

pushslice wrote:
Welcome... May we know who your coach is? Sounds like a big fundamentally guy

I am learning from Coach Ronald from Bukit Batok Driving Range. Super strict. He told me if I don't get my posture and stance right, the next time I will not able to hit right and will regret. Basics is vey very important. The left thumb should lead. I still haven't completely got it yet. Am a bit slow. I think too much and can't let go enough to let my muscle memory work.

I haven't got enough time to goto the driving range on my own yet to do extra training. Must squeeze time.

After every lesson I attend, I walk home crooked. My lower back is so sore that by the time I recover, the next lesson is here. I don't feel like going to the driving range on my own with my sore back so not very motivated to go. I know I should practise twice before every lesson but I admit I have not been the star pupil here.

I am focusing on my seven iron and it looks like all I need for some time is the seven irons. Looking forward to my next sore back session. (sometimes, so sore, I bend down like some old Ah Ma on the driving range. so malu. Then must continue practising after taking 2 minute break)

Coach is strict and good. Just that my lower back and muscle memory is not co operating with the training.
Back to top Go down
angela jojo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Thu May 31, 2012 8:16 am

Hi All

Its been my 5th lesson, nv been able to hit ball well, i want that swing but didnt get it right, left arm is always not straight too. I try to practise at least once on my own at the range.

Am thinking to get the golf wrist release aid, does it help? any advice pls. Thanks
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Thu May 31, 2012 8:25 am

Hi pengsan, welcome to GR. sunny
U ve started correctly w lessons on e fundamental. Great job n enjoyed golf! Cool Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Thu May 31, 2012 8:59 am

maybe in the beginning, sore muscles are common because the body is doing something (the swing) it is not used to

but once you get the hang of it, you should not get back pains or elbow pains unless youre hitting 500+ balls every day. you might be doing it wrong if swinging creates joint pain. More of that for later..

but for now when taking lessons, do practice by yourselves in between lessons and try to master the new move before taking the next session. You will get the most out of your lessons as the teacher will be able to progress with each session.

while it may sound like it's great what your coach is doing, but depending on him to fix everything for you isn't cost effective. Before you know it you'll be out of lessons and you still don't know how to hit decently. kaching! another 10 hours of lessons Wink so use your lessons well and always ask for drills to do at home or by yourself at the range

happy golfing!

Last edited by pushslice on Thu May 31, 2012 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Thu May 31, 2012 9:09 am

angela jojo wrote:
Hi All

Its been my 5th lesson, nv been able to hit ball well, i want that swing but didnt get it right, left arm is always not straight too. I try to practise at least once on my own at the range.

Am thinking to get the golf wrist release aid, does it help? any advice pls. Thanks

I suggest that you do not spend $ on all those training aid. Your coach should able to give you some drills enable you to swing your left arm straight during the follow through.

I do have some drills on this but I would rather you ask your coach as he or she knew better on the stage level of your swing now.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Thu May 31, 2012 10:41 am

pengsan wrote:
Hello everyone.

Have been lurking in this forum for a while. Finally saying my first hello here. Hopefully I did the posting right.

I got my first taste of golf when i was in bintan lagoon resort. I was explained roughly how golf works and I was seeing people hit golf balls with massive drivers! In that instance, I told myself, I want to learn that!

Just started 4 lessons of golf and have not hit the ball yet. My coach is very strict leh. So far, just alot of sore lower back.

I think I bought a set of irons from enwee. It was the set of fourteens. It is a very good set! I am just using the seven iron though and am now looking forward to hitting a ball with it. I apply WD40 on the rest and decorate them with iron covers. Yeah. Fourteens!

I want to thank IceTee for her guidance. Without her explaining to me what is an iron and what is a hybrid, I won't have started learning. I think stumbling into Big Fish Golf is a blessing to a golf recruit like me. It really open up my eyes!

The first impression of DGMan is... well, he reminds me of my stern secondary school teacher. Very strict, kinda scary. But after reading through the forum I found out that he is actually a nice guy! And I have seen DGMan swing! He swings like my coach! I want that swing!!!

Well, so far, I just got the irons. I don't know what to get next. Perhaps a putter? Whatever it is, this forum is a nice place to learn about equipment and exchanging pointers. I visit it everyday. Hopefully, one day, I will play with the big boys. But meanwhile, I just have to work towards hitting my first golf ball.

Cheers
Pengsan
So you are the one who got the fourteen. Glad you like it. You started on playing on any courses yet? Putter would be a good idea. Because it's the most used and personal club in your bag.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Thu May 31, 2012 11:48 am

angela jojo wrote:
Hi All

Hi Angela, if you already paying for a coach, it would be good to ask his advice on whether this training aid would help you or not.

All training aids work, if used properly, but they are also designed to deal with specific issues or flaws.

The real issue is one of diagnosis, i.e. Is the swing flaw that the training aid is supposed to help you fix, the actual cause of your bad shots? Even good golfers have difficulties diagnosing their own swing flaws, let alone beginners. Which is why you should trust your instructor and consult with him/her.

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Thu May 31, 2012 11:52 am

Hi pengsan,

borrow a putter or buy a cheap 2nd hand one for now, you probably will not know what you like in a putter until you have had a chance to try a few styles.

And if you want, you can also pick up a putting mat so that you can start learning or practicing a putting stroke at home if you are tied up for time

Of course, if the "secondary school teacher" has already assessed your putting stroke and recommended a putter to you, then just go with that and remove the doubt from your mind.

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Thu May 31, 2012 11:02 pm

Anyway, muscles sore is normal for all beginner. Wait till you go on course, especially it's a walking one.
Back to top Go down
pengsan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:40 pm

angela jojo wrote:
Hi All

I have that problem too! I feel like starting a thread for the newbies and discuss about the problems that newbies face.

My coach say that there's alot of fancy equipment and devices and they cost alot. He told me no need all that. Just spend twenty dollars can already. Last for a life time. It's an attachment that you attach onto the club to correct the swing. If you are doing it wrong, the device won't connect to your arm. It's that simple.

I bought the device and I couldn't get it to connect. I know I was doing something wrong but didn't know what it was. Very frustrating.

He was training me yesternight with his other more expensive equipment and I finally got it! My body and mind finally understood what was required!

Here's what i understood.

The left arm should be straight.
The left thumb should turn to face right.
Rotate the left arm, shoulder and all to lift the club. (potential energy)
Release and hit the ball with follow through swing only with the left arm as the leader.

Apparently, the right hand is just playing the supporting role. (This I finally get)

The rest of the power comes from rotation of shoulders and hips. (This I don't quite get yet)

All the while, everything is using the left hand to guide to swing to hit. Oh, I am using a right handed club by the way. And all this time, the left hand was suppose to lead. The right hand just supports. I know it sounds weird but that's what I have learnt.

After I got that, I had to swing for another 25 minutes before my coach is happy to let me hit my first fifty balls.

So far, every 1 hour lesson stretched till 1 and half hours. There was once I went at 8. 30pm and I was let go only at 10.40pm! I walked so sore and crooked to the MRT station to go home that I wanted to die on my way home.

But yesternight was sweet. Because I get to hit my first 50 balls on the driving range. Alot of hits were not good, but on occasion, when it went far, it was sweeeet!

Still got home sore btw, by less crooked this time. Because I know I progressed a little bit to finally hit some balls. Yeah! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
onime
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:04 pm

Relax and swing easy Wink
Back to top Go down
angela jojo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Derek wrote:
angela jojo wrote:
Hi All

Hi Angela, if you already paying for a coach, it would be good to ask his advice on whether this training aid would help you or not.

All training aids work, if used properly, but they are also designed to deal with specific issues or flaws.

The real issue is one of diagnosis, i.e. Is the swing flaw that the training aid is supposed to help you fix, the actual cause of your bad shots? Even good golfers have difficulties diagnosing their own swing flaws, let alone beginners. Which is why you should trust your instructor and consult with him/her

Thanks Derek,

U r rite, will do so...
Back to top Go down
angela jojo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:01 pm

Dear All

Am gg for prac at Mandai tmrl morn, anyone keen to join?
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:26 pm

angela jojo wrote:
Dear All

No need to work ?
Back to top Go down
angela jojo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:31 pm

ahnah wrote:
angela jojo wrote:
Dear All

No need to work ?

No...for tmrl
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:40 pm

The range balls at mandai is not good. OCC range changes balls on a quarterly basis if I am not wrong ... afro
Back to top Go down
angela jojo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:45 pm

Turbo wrote:
The range balls at mandai is not good. OCC range changes balls on a quarterly basis if I am not wrong ... afro

Thanks for the info, however, at mandai, you can still go to the green without a pc. Does OCC permit so?
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:55 pm

angela jojo wrote:
Turbo wrote:

Thanks for the info, however, at mandai, you can still go to the green without a pc. Does OCC permit so?

I dun think so .. if can .. I will go OCC for short game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf Recruit Greetings   Today at 11:55 pm

Back to top Go down

Golf Recruit Greetings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1