Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:53 pm

hi, can anyone share with me on what are the good courses there? i will be traveling there this month and hope to play some golf there. thanks.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:01 pm

TSS is the expert in NorCal.

Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:08 pm

In SoCal... tonnes!!!

What you can do is, open up google maps and look for courses nearest to where you stay, and then google it for rates and contact info.

My "home course" was Penmar Golf Club in Santa Monica http://penmargolf.lagolfclubs.com/clubs/home.cfm?tab=1&clubid=34

Here's a link to SoCal golf courses http://www.scga.org/courserating/course_dir.htm

Happy golfing!
Back to top Go down
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:13 pm

who is TSS? Can TSS help pls?

btw, i just came back from Brisbane 2 weeks ago. Played Brookwater again, still very good (somemore have kangaroo as audience!). Another 2 courses i played is Indoorpilly and North Lakes. visibility while playing in Indooroopilly was quite bad as sydney was having sand storm then and the wind blew the sands to Brisbane. was only able to view things within 50m. there is also locker for visitors. North Lakes not too bad.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Northlakes my fav cos of the fast greens.

TSS is SSquirrel. He can recommend some in San Frans.

I can only recommend if you are heading to the San Diego county. I hate goin to LA.

Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:24 pm

wah say. bubu upgrade liao. now play in far far places. do not play local courses with us anymore...

*sob sob*
Back to top Go down
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:54 pm

idiot Muarchee! who says! u never jio me to play what! ok ok, when are we playing?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:32 pm

wah lau. now blame me loh. win already loh. grow up already. wings hard already loh.

cannot play with u la. have to give u 1-2-3. i sure lose one. dun dare play with u.
Back to top Go down
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:36 pm

ok ok. give me lesser strokes lor. 1-1-2 ok?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:38 pm

heehee. really appreciate the offer but i will take up on it if i can ever find the time to golf. Smile

anyway.. wait for master ssquirrel to post....
Back to top Go down
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:41 pm

S70B, how to go from SanF to San Diego? What r the courses there? i will submit suggestions to my organiser. heeheehee!
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:45 pm

SanF to San Diego?

I-5!! and its a LOONG LOOONG LOOOOONG drive....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_5
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:51 pm

Only 8 hr la. Abt 500 miles or like from Sg drive to Penang. Easier to fly.

Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:57 pm

the question is why are you up at this unearthly hour?

mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:03 pm

driving 8 hrs... er.... on the USA freeways? er....
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:07 pm

If money is no object since it sounds like a company trip:

Torrey Pines South
Barona Creek
Four Seasons Aviara
Salt Creek
Mt Woodson

I think that should suffice ur SD trip if you intend to go. If you head inland, Palm Springs is the holiday resort for most:

PGA West Stadium
PGA West Tournament
La Quinta Dunes
La Quinta Mountain

I book my tee times on www.golfnow.com. Very much cheaper than calling and booking.

Also, you can read reviews on some of the courses on this site:
http://www.greenskeeper.org/southern_california/golf_courses/index.cfm/southern_california#8

I read all the reviews on the courses that I intend to play so as to get a feel of what kind of conditions I can expect. Sometimes, you find out that the course is doing coring, reno, muddy because of over-watering etc to even people critizing the layout and green fees being over-priced for a goat track. Honest reviews and comments can be found in it.

Take your time, review all the courses listed and decide on it. Thats the fun part of a SoCal golf trip planning.

Enjoy your trip.

Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:10 pm

i only know at current that Olympic GC in SanF is on the list. yeah, i think flying maybe better, abt 1.5hrs in air. let me see is TSS willing to give some tips. i have never been to that part of the world, so quite gugu at many things.

Thanks S70B, u are my savior. when can buy u a beer. the nougats and goodies from aussie which i promise few moths ago have been... eaten.....
Easier to buy beer..
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:11 pm

Pebble Beach or Spyglass lor. Big big bucks tho.

I don't drink. You can buy me golf balls. Pro V1X thanks!

Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:58 pm

second hand ProV1x can? hahahahaha! i m booking the air ticket now.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:45 pm

I'm not sure, but I thought Olympic is a private club?
Around SF, you can try Harding Park, it's an "upscale muni". The other public course is maybe Gleneagles. I don't golf much around SF. If you want to drive up north, better to visit napa/sonoma and enjoy the wine than golf because it's going to be a bit cooler. I heard Bodega Harbour is quite nice, because it's a seaside links style course, and you get that cold fog sometimes.

I think better to go down south, to the Monterrey peninsula. Pebble Beach, Spyglass, Spanish Bay, all very nice and $$ and not sure if you can get on easily without advanced booking. I think DelMonte is part of the Pebble Beach Resort but is cheaper and still nice but there are no ocean holes. Poppy Hills is also very nice. I also recommend Pasatiempo which is also very nice.

Not sure what your budget is though, so unfortunately "google" might still be a very good guide. There are some muni's like Pacific Grove that have nice views but course conditions are more or less typical of muni's.

If it's company's expense, then definitely I recommend Pebble beach area, do the 17 mile drive thing, the views are spectacular even if you don't golf.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:57 pm

Cinnabar Hills in San Jose is nice. It has 3x9 holes which is situated in the mountain. Very scenic and well maintained. It is inexpensive also.

In SFO, you can try Harding Park but very expensive and freezing like hell even in the summer.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:48 pm

Squirrel, I really don't recommend 17-mile drive. It is just so-so in my opinion except the beautiful houses. Beer

For sightseeing, I would highly recommend Lake Tahoe. Absolutely stunning scenary which looks different in every season. The only set back is the 4 hr drive from SFO.

Talking about SFO, I really miss the dungeness crabs at fisherman wharf. Sad
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:24 am

Ya.. I like Tahoe too, ski slopes should be open next month (i think one is open already).
17 mile ok lah, Tahoe can be a slightly tricky drive once it's starts snowing...

Ya, if going to San Jose, Cinnabar and Coyote Creek are pretty nice. Actually I don't golf too much over here in the Bay Area. I think if you're in SF, better to go up to Napa and have a nice time...it's getting a little chilly and going to be wet the next couple of days..
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:48 am

Good luck heading to Tahoe end of the year.

I had to divert my roadtrip travel plans last year cos the road to there was closed due to snow storms and only passable to 4WD vehicles with snowchains.

You are better off heading south. Cool weather but not overly crazy and miserable.

Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:33 pm

Driving 2 hours for golf is not uncommon in USA.

If you are in between Bay Area and LA, try Pebble Beach. Green fee alone is US$530. For a scratch golfer, it's about $8 per stroke, caddie tips included.

Book a 2pm tee off time, so that you will get the feeling of the last flight on a Sunday.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Today at 5:52 pm

Back to top Go down

any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next