Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:43 am

USD500+ is steep.. i dun think i can get company to pay that. budget is about USD150-300. had a discussion last nite. most prefer to stay around SF and golf. or fly to Vegas. i m totally confused. thank u every1! i will do some homework, select a few and ask for advice here again. Thanks alot!
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:57 am

Fly to Vegas.. More fun! Many nice courses there too.
If you are big spender or high roller, might also get to play at the uber exclusive Wynn Golf course Very Happy

A lot of other stuff to do for non-golfers too..
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:14 pm

Vegas will be cold from end Nov.

Use Expedia.com. Good rates.

Trick to save money on those more upclass hotels on the strip is to go and book Sunday nite - Thursday nite. Rates double or triple come Friday and Saturday.

Stay on the strip. Anything other than Las Vegas Blvd is pretty sleazy and not too safe. Pick the ones nearer to the southwest too as those like Circus Circus and Sahara are pretty crappy and old but table games are cheaper.

For food, go to the Rio for their Seafood Buffet. There are 2 so go to the more crowded one.

I went Vegas 3 times in 6 mths last year and din play golf at all becos of extreme weather. 1st time was Independance Week where temps soared to 114*F. 2nd time I didn't have my golf clubs as we were on our roadtrip. 3rd time was Christmas week where it snowed and rained for the 1st time in gazillion years.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:27 pm

I was in Vegas for Christmas and New Year's Eve and it was freezing at night..
I've also been there during Summer when I felt like my flesh was roasting as I walked down the strip..But I still like Vegas a lot! Very Happy

I think Nov still can golf in Vegas lah, day time temp should be ok, better than the cold fog in SF.. btw, it rained pretty heavily today over here.... buggers dunno how to drive in the rain.. hahaha
Back to top Go down
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:58 pm

i m still doing homework.. headache..

For SF, thinking of doing Olympic (if boss's frn is in town!), Harding Park, Presidio or Gleneagles.

For vegas, colleague suggest Wolf Creek, Entrada at Snow Canyon or The Ledges.

next tue flying but everything also have not booked yet.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:39 pm

Bali Hai if you do not want to go too far. Its near Mandalay Bay but ard $200+++USD.

Or can head out to Rio Secco. Slightly cheaper. Butch Harmon's golf academy is there plus you get a superb view of the strip in the distance. Might even catch Natalie Gulbis practicing there too.
Back to top Go down
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:28 am

at current, onlyhave these in the agenda:

Cinnabar Hills GC @ San Jose
Olympic Club Lake Course @ SFO

Maybe:
Vegas
Wolfcreek
Pauite Wolf Course

OR
Palm Spring
dunno what yet...

and then hahahaha! back in Singapore to cheong Bintan or Batam! kekekeke! Laughing
and then watch Barclay Final on Sunday! yeah!
Back to top Go down
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:30 am

S70B wrote:
If money is no object since it sounds like a company trip:

Torrey Pines South
Barona Creek
Four Seasons Aviara
Salt Creek
Mt Woodson

I think that should suffice ur SD trip if you intend to go. If you head inland, Palm Springs is the holiday resort for most:

PGA West Stadium
PGA West Tournament
La Quinta Dunes
La Quinta Mountain

I have printed this out and carry with me! thanks S70B!

going home to sleep now before catching the evening flight! SFO, here i come!!!!!!

I book my tee times on www.golfnow.com. Very much cheaper than calling and booking.

Also, you can read reviews on some of the courses on this site:
http://www.greenskeeper.org/southern_california/golf_courses/index.cfm/southern_california#8

I read all the reviews on the courses that I intend to play so as to get a feel of what kind of conditions I can expect. Sometimes, you find out that the course is doing coring, reno, muddy because of over-watering etc to even people critizing the layout and green fees being over-priced for a goat track. Honest reviews and comments can be found in it.

Take your time, review all the courses listed and decide on it. Thats the fun part of a SoCal golf trip planning.

Enjoy your trip.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:41 am

wah Bubu......you macam international golfer liao....Enjoy yourself...
Back to top Go down
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:49 am

hahahaha! machum like real.. i work like a dog lor. for past 48hrs, i have only slept 10hrs... rest is working

by the way, long time no play together. any afternoon game on 28oct? i m free to play.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:13 pm

hope the weather gets better when you get here...As usual, the rain has caused flooding in some areas...
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:16 pm

Even with better weather, it should be pretty soggy on the SF courses. Best is to head to Vegas or San Diego.

Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:20 pm

i was told it is 17degree in the day, 13-14 with wind.. have not even pack luggage yet! hahaha! i am so so excited!!!!!

Thanks TSS and 70B. muacksssss!
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:30 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
hope the weather gets better when you get here...As usual, the rain has caused flooding in some areas...
'allo Yul Bryner wannabe..How are you? When can we ahve a game? Never seems to be able to get a game with you leh.

Titu
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:36 pm

Titu, my game now very bad....
Flying back this weekend; when you free, maybe we join one of these GR games and catch up on old times? hahaha
Back to top Go down
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:40 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Titu, my game now very bad....
hahaha

hahahaha! i guess Titu will reply "i don't believe. Prove it to me"
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:49 pm

bubu, pack a jacket hor.. it can get a little chilly in the city esp in the evenings and nights when the cold wind blows in from the SF bay. The nice thing (seeing from your avatar) is that drinking in the cold is always much better than drinking in SG weather..

If you and your fren's decide to do some golf shopping, the golf mart in south san francisco is pretty good... here's a pic of the outside of the store I took last weekend.

Back to top Go down
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:58 pm

u r staying in sfo??

i will be staying in W hotel. hope it is not too far to the Mart? any idea on the operating hours of Mart?

Thanks for advice on bringing jacket! By the way, getting around san francisco is better if hire a car?
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:21 pm

I'm not in SF, I'm in the San Jose area. The golf mart is probably around 15min to 25min drive from your hotel. Not sure what you're doing in SF (convention at Moscone center? hahaha). If this is your first trip, better to do the touristy stuff like golden gate bridge, fisherman's wharf, lombard street, etc than golf. Or if you have a free day, maybe do a limo trip up to Napa Valley and enjoy some wine in wine country.

Don't think you need a car if you're only going to do stuff in the city itself. Not sure though, as I've always drive, but parking can be a hassle in the city.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:25 pm

Don't forget the drive across to Sausalito for a nice view of SF.

3 or more pax in the car gets to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge free!
Back to top Go down
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:30 pm

san jose area! great! i have a meeting in Santa Clara at 11am on 21oct. was told to travel 45mins-1hrs from hotel to meeting, and 30mins from SC to SJ? what is time of sunrise and sunset there? will teeing off at ard 1.15pm too late?
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:35 pm

1:15pm tee time will be very nice.
Sunrise around 7:15-7:30; sunset probably around 6:30-7pm?...

have fun...
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:38 pm

San Francisco Weather and Almanac
Back to top Go down
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:45 pm

kumsia kumsia.. i must leave office to go home now and pack luggage... catching 5.50pm flight.. can die... long journey...
Back to top Go down
bubu
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:12 pm

i am back.... sigh. only manage to play 2 courses ie. cinnabar and olympic. and then back to sg. fly a total of 40+hrs tru/fro and stay in SFO for less than 60hrs...

have to change buggie twice in cinnabar, thus, we played 15holes only. Olympic is v v v nice n v v v long course for me...struggle like hell but nevertheless it is a great experience!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA   Today at 1:57 am

Back to top Go down

any advise on courses in sanfransico/LA
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next